6 Common Myths About Atheism

Nov 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

If you want to piss off an atheist, tell him or her that atheism is a religion just like any other.

Comments
201 - 220 of 294 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2012

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#205 Dec 5, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Sorry, missed a part of my post --
<quoted text>
According to the Bible.
That's Old Testament Mosaic Law; Christianity's New Testament Jesus made it clear that there is important work to be done on the Sabbath in Luke 14:1-6. Loosely paraphrased, "Who of you would leave an ass in a hole just because it is the sabbath day?"

Location hidden

#206 Dec 5, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Did you know that you can stand every single human being on the planet shoulder to shoulder and they will fit in a space the size of L.A. If you give each one of those people a 10' by 10' square you can fit them all into the state of Texas. That is just something that I found interesting.
No, I did not know that.

Damn! Don't tell Obama that.

Location hidden

#207 Dec 5, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Is that part of Sam Harris' science of morality?
;)

Location hidden

#209 Dec 5, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I remember why I don't try to converse with you. You have a reading comprehension problem.(Either that are you purposely misrepresent what people say, which would be bearing false witness.)
What I said was CONSIDERATION is absurd. Until you can define a set of properties for an entity which could possible exist and which could right be labeled a deity, any consideration of existence is meaningless.
You might as well contemplate the existence of Russell's Teapot. It's much better defined and it's possible that it exist. But consideration that it really does exist is still absurd.
You never edit, do you?

I understand.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#210 Dec 5, 2012
I didn't get a response in the thread from my earlier post. HOWEVER, I did a private Topix-message instead. Now I don't usually share private messages from people, but ...
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't been paying much attention if you haven't noticed your buddies ranting on about the people who "should" abort their pregnancies. I've seen several suggesting that all teenage girls who find themselves pregnant should abort their babies to "concentrate" on their education and "secure" their future success in life. Those posters are insinuating that a teenager should be ashamed of being so damned "stupid" as to have a baby. It may not be shame of a religious nature that they are promoting but it's still shame that they are hoping to instill. It's not their place to make anybody else ashamed of being pregnant. I know of school girls who actually wanted to be pregnant in their teens and their babies were not some sort of unwanted "side effect" of lust. An atheist who tries to inflict their own judgements on pregnant women are just as repellent as a religious person who does the same thing.

See how that works?
To which I must still ask for an actual example. You say its a common rule among Topix atheists - cite some posts where this can be evidenced by ANY atheists, then we can work on your evidence that it is widespread.

(Oh, and they are NOT my "buddies", association fallacy is a red herring argument.)

Location hidden

#211 Dec 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Missionaries only like it Christian style.
Bam! Reminds me of another "myth".

"Atheists will take it(sex) any way they can get it."

Location hidden

#212 Dec 5, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
I didn't get a response in the thread from my earlier post. HOWEVER, I did a private Topix-message instead. Now I don't usually share private messages from people, but ...
Yeah, we get that you don't reveal your buddies' PMs, just the ones of posters that you hate.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#213 Dec 5, 2012
Says the reject who said she had less than a year to live... Oops cured already!

And believes there is an atheist doctrine against having children.

BWahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha hahahhahahahaha!
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You never edit, do you?
I understand.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#214 Dec 5, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, we get that you don't reveal your buddies' PMs, just the ones of posters that you hate.
Just the one that are directly in response to posts within the thread.

And I don't hate Topix avatars any more than I think of them as "buddies". Avatars give some people license to vent in ways they wouldn't normally consider. I have no idea what kind of person you really are.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#215 Dec 5, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Ew! Wouldn't you rather have a fresh plank?
lol, I didn't even think of that.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#216 Dec 5, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Is there someone holding a gun on you forcing you to stay?
If not feel free to move to Somalia the right wing libertarian paradise.
<quoted text>
Statists consistently refer to Somalia as a sort of 'case-study' of libertarianism in action. How does a country which has been marked by 20 years of civil war; attempted military take-overs; government and warlord atrocities; genocide; general government oppression and an absence of free-elections; absolutely no law and order in many parts; and Islamic rule constitute anything related to libertarianism?
http://aynrkey.blogspot.com/2011/10/phony-arg...

"Given all the times libertarians object to government interventions that make the situation worse, both in economic and civil matters, those who favor an activist government argue that libertarians should move to Somalia where they would be more comfortable. The argument also implies that the chaos that takes place in Somalia is exactly what libertarians advocate.

History clearly and easily shows the truth about Somalia, in which it was the fallen government of Somalia that brought the country to the lowest point a country could possibly reach. Those in the government forgot that a parasite is not supposed to kill the host, and proved that it takes a government to create the degree of chaos normally thought of as anarchy. Once the government fell, the people started to rebuild. Occasionally some government sends in a peace-keeping force to break everything again and install a temporary government that will fall once the foreign troops leave. The resulting destruction is considered further proof of how lack of a government is unworkable."

Your comment of "Move to Somalia" shows why women should not get involved in politics.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#217 Dec 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Rogue Shakers were carriers of Parkinson's disease.
I think that is more of a pun than a myth..

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#218 Dec 5, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes because RT is a lesbian. Your claim was completely wrong and you know it. Each and every atheist are liberals and gay?
We have several right leaning atheists on the board and only two homosexual atheists.
As usual you are wrong. Way wrong, it's just a fact.
For me the fog of superstitious thinking has been lifted and I have a breathtaking view of a better world.
Enjoy your church and Faux News.
<quoted text>
I think that she "got it" because she knowns what a myth is and has a sense of humor unlike some other females on these boards.<cough>givemelibe rty<cough>
BUt hey , thanks for showing why my comment was a MYTH.. I guess that you can do more than the dishes.

Louisville, KY

#219 Dec 5, 2012
Oh the volumes we could fill with what you don't know. I am sure Your president reelect Obama has heard this silly little email pass around tidbit.

It was awesome that Mormon Mitt lost so badly wasn't it? Hell Obama could have given him Florida for laughs and still won.

:knowing smile:
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>No, I did not know that.
Damn! Don't tell Obama that.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#220 Dec 6, 2012
Atheists are just Christians that are too lazy to go to church.

Chicago, IL

#221 Dec 6, 2012
She knowns what a myth is?

I'd say we can subtract yet another IQ point from your dwindling total.

Any luck finding where I ever claimed to be a female or shall I just go ahead and gloat for once again proving you wrong?
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I think that she "got it" because she knowns what a myth is and has a sense of humor unlike some other females on these boards.<cough>givemelibe rty<cough>
BUt hey , thanks for showing why my comment was a MYTH.. I guess that you can do more than the dishes.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#222 Dec 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
She knowns what a myth is?
I'd say we can subtract yet another IQ point from your dwindling total.
Any luck finding where I ever claimed to be a female or shall I just go ahead and gloat for once again proving you wrong?
<quoted text>
OOh good catch... for a nitpicker or would that be a henpecker?

Chicago, IL

#223 Dec 6, 2012
I hear you will be promoted to bag girl once you stop crushing bread there at the Walmart.

Dream the dream toots.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>OOh good catch... for a nitpicker or would that be a henpecker?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#224 Dec 7, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I hear you will be promoted to bag girl once you stop crushing bread there at the Walmart.
Dream the dream toots.
<quoted text>
I don't work at Walmart we're on strike, b!tch.
Thinking

UK

#225 Dec 7, 2012
BS.
Lil Ticked wrote:
Atheists are just Christians that are too lazy to go to church.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The myth of the angry atheist 16 min _Bad Company 1
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 36 min Patrick 226,376
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Jaimie 55
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr Patrick 61
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 1 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 2 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 2 hr CunningLinguist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••