Is the bible a fairy tale?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#571 May 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you don't understand the word, "Sarcastic"
Yes I do but I have not come across a godbot bright enough to use it.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#572 May 4, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
But you don't make the rules for heaven because you don't believe in a heaven. It's our fantasy we set the rules.
Job 38:33 " Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth? The laws of heaven are the same laws God gave to Moses and Moses gave to Israel, the Testimony. We will not fully understand these laws until the Messiah comes and establishes it.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#573 May 4, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do but I have not come across a godbot bright enough to use it.
Indeed: sarcasm requires a subtly of thought that they simply do not possess.

It is difficult to be sarcastic, if your world-view is in all primary colors, and your choices are all seen as all or nothing.

;)
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

#574 May 4, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> thank you for an intelligent and literate contribution. I always resent seeing religion called a fairy tale, because it insults fairy tales. The talking animals are usually more enjoyable in fairy tales. Have you read CS Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia? That is a disgusting propaganda enticement for children of a certain age, with parents of a certain degree of supposed enlightenment, who are willing to use an allegory instead of the Bible, to reach the same horrible ending, the Final Battle. I think that Lewis himself is the recruiter of innocent children by offering them an equivalent of Turkish delights. The books are too wellwritten and the plots too wellcrafted and the characters too interesting, all for the sake of promoting a horrid doctrine, especially the last book. I admit I enjoyed A Horse and His Boy, but an adult can be aware of what the propaganda is and not fall for it.
Great post... I agree

I believe the Internet and the information age will usher in the collapse of organized religions.

Two or three generations, It is already in decline worldwide

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#575 May 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Do it-- this out to be good for some laughs.
<quoted text>
Good question. It is a GOOD thing that the BIG BANG theory does not depend on this, nor does it claim this at all.
So far? You have proved nothing about the Big Bang.
<quoted text>
Also true. Once more? This has NOTHING to do with the Big Bang, which was not an explosion, but was a rapid expansion-- a very different thing.
You are doing quite badly so far.
<quoted text>
Repeating the question does not help-- the Big Bang does not claim that matter/energy created itself.
You are really losing it here.
<quoted text>
Lots of things defy the "laws" of cause and effect-- in Quantum Mechanics, there are billions of UNCAUSED events happening all the time, all over the universe.
So "cause and effect" is not so much of a law, as it is a suggestion, and only on the macro scale.
<quoted text>
This last statement of yours? Has nothing to do with anything.
FAIL.
YOU DID NOT DISPROVE THE BIG BANG THEORY.
OR you just came blabbering, I didn't disprove the Big bang, get over it, and how can the universe expand. That's pretty much impossible.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#576 May 4, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> A wise person would not want to find an evil God, even if it existed. The Biblical God is an evil God.
I hope you're talking about the NT god and not the living God of Israel It's only that God that can forgive you and allow entrance to heaven. "There is forgiveness with you, that you may be feared" Don't you have respect for a judge before he passes judgment?

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#577 May 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
That is 100% proof that your god IS NOT REAL.
Because it is CLEAR, that the god you describe?
IS NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT GOOD.
This is excellent! You are an atheist!
LOL, now if you were to suffer yourself, by burning yourself in fire, and say God isn't real because I got hurt, wasn't it you're own decision to jump in a fire, same for others, so everyone that suffers made the wrong decisions in life and suffers the consequences, God is not going to help people who decide to do the wrong things and don't believe in him. So I hoped you read this, because suffering is no argument against God.

And now, you come up with pure nonsense that I'm an atheist when I'm not, do you have a brain cell or two
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#578 May 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post... I agree
I believe the Internet and the information age will usher in the collapse of organized religions.
Two or three generations, It is already in decline worldwide
Thanks, but I am not optimistic enough to agree with your happy prediction. Internet is also used to ruin young minds with the violent hate-filled inciting-terrorism propaganda that seems to have ruined the lives of four young men in Boston and taken the life of another. I feel sad that their lives have been ruined by religion and male bonding, two of the worst forces on earth in my view! I feel sad that the lives of their victims have been taken, because of their susceptibility to these evils.

Don't even get me started on what I think about supportive submissive women who enable them! I am not the sort of feminist who assumes women will be on the good guys side (or that men are the bad guys, always).
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#579 May 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you're talking about the NT god and not the living God of Israel It's only that God that can forgive you and allow entrance to heaven. "There is forgiveness with you, that you may be feared" Don't you have respect for a judge before he passes judgment?
Why should I respect a stupid immoral judge. You are crazy. not worth arguing with. Let the rightwing Christians take you on, you guys deserve each other. to hell - if there is one - with both your houses.
Lincoln

United States

#580 May 4, 2013
Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false?

If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists.

Blaise Pascal
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#581 May 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course! They cannot have an actual Jesus Penis™, that would be a sacrilege.
Jesus had to be asexual, to fit within their oppressive regime.
They did not have Jesus Balls™ either, I'd bet...
Jesus was and is a womanizer and a skirt chaser. He's called "lover boy" by the group Supertramp. "He's gonna love em and leave em and cheat and deceive em, he's gonna show em who's wrong and who's right"
Lincoln

United States

#582 May 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus was and is a womanizer and a skirt chaser. He's called "lover boy" by the group Supertramp. "He's gonna love em and leave em and cheat and deceive em, he's gonna show em who's wrong and who's right"
Supertramp trumps all arguments
LOL
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#583 May 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, now if you were to suffer yourself, by burning yourself in fire, and say God isn't real because I got hurt, wasn't it you're own decision to jump in a fire, same for others, so everyone that suffers made the wrong decisions in life and suffers the consequences, God is not going to help people who decide to do the wrong things and don't believe in him. So I hoped you read this, because suffering is no argument against God.
And now, you come up with pure nonsense that I'm an atheist when I'm not, do you have a brain cell or two
Suffering is an argument that there is a God that is both allgood and allpowerful. There could be an evil God. Apparently that is the one you believe in? I am glad to know you are not an atheist, because it would be bad company for atheists. The notion that you seem to advocate, that God equally punishes people who harm others and people who are not ass-kissers of an evil God, is proof that you are not a good enough person to be a good Christian (that is to say a decent and moral one) let alone a good atheist.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#584 May 4, 2013
oops - an argument that there is Not an allgood and all powerful God. I was typing hastily and not looking or rereading, due to a conversation while I was typing. Apologies. An allpowerful God could allow or create such a mix of good and evil - pain and nonpain (including positive happiness and pleasure that does not hurt anyone or anything else) such as it seems to be in our world. But not an allgood one that has the power to alter things to be better and kinder for all living feeling creatures. Its negligence would show either non-goodness or non-powerfulness - one will-full negligence, if it had the power.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#585 May 4, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Suffering is an argument that there is a God that is both allgood and allpowerful. There could be an evil God. Apparently that is the one you believe in? I am glad to know you are not an atheist, because it would be bad company for atheists. The notion that you seem to advocate, that God equally punishes people who harm others and people who are not ass-kissers of an evil God, is proof that you are not a good enough person to be a good Christian (that is to say a decent and moral one) let alone a good atheist.
As explained above, the word NOT belongs in the first sentence, either before the word argument or before the word God. I think before the word God.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#586 May 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus was and is a womanizer and a skirt chaser. He's called "lover boy" by the group Supertramp. "He's gonna love em and leave em and cheat and deceive em, he's gonna show em who's wrong and who's right"
Oh good, now you offend all Christians, and I wish you a plague of them criticizing you, one of the best things a Christian could do.
Your own God is a rapist, by the Christian calendar and doctrines. It is your God that is evil, not the fictional
Jesus, who is probably just a composite of wanna-be messiahs, wandering preachers, and words of various writers of the NT - some half-way decent, some silly - even in the same passages, such as Matthew. But Jehovah of OT is a nasty old devil.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

#587 May 4, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks, but I am not optimistic enough to agree with your happy prediction. Internet is also used to ruin young minds with the violent hate-filled inciting-terrorism propaganda that seems to have ruined the lives of four young men in Boston and taken the life of another. I feel sad that their lives have been ruined by religion and male bonding, two of the worst forces on earth in my view! I feel sad that the lives of their victims have been taken, because of their susceptibility to these evils.
Don't even get me started on what I think about supportive submissive women who enable them! I am not the sort of feminist who assumes women will be on the good guys side (or that men are the bad guys, always).
Then I shall not mention that Islam is rather unkind to women. ;)

Gentlemen and ladies start your engines. LOL

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires." ~Susan B. Anthony

“It is impossible to exaggerate the evil work theology has done in the world.”~Lydia Maria Child

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." ~Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#588 May 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I can easily disprove the Big bang. How can matter and energy create itself,
They didn't. If the basic Big Bang thoery is true, then they are both uncaused.
I mean from what I heard explosions destroy, they do not create.
Actually, this is false, but also irrelevant.

There are ways of making explosions constructive: they provide the directed energy needed to, for example, weld things together:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosion_weldin...

But this is irrelevant because the Big bang was NOT a conventional explosion. In typical explosions, a sudden release of gas expands outward into the space around, causing a density wave. In the Big bang, it was space itself that expands. No pressure wave is generated and the expansion happens *everywhere*, not outward from a fixed position.
How can matter and energy create itself. That defies the laws of cause and effect.
Which do not hold when quantum effects are studied. In fact, it is quite common at the quantum level for matter to come spontaneously into existence and spontaneously disappear. When this happens, we say there is a quantum fluctuation involving virtual particles. This effect has been measured and agrees with quantum theory.
Have you ever taken debatable science, to learn how to object, no I suppose not since you believe what ever nonsense science tells you, if science says jump in the fire, you'll do it.
Have you ever looked enough into the science to know what it actually says as opposed to what popularizations say? Have you ever looked at it enough to know what the *evidence* is and how it is important?

No, of course not.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#589 May 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I shall not mention that Islam is rather unkind to women. ;)
Gentlemen and ladies start your engines. LOL
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires." ~Susan B. Anthony
“It is impossible to exaggerate the evil work theology has done in the world.”~Lydia Maria Child
"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." ~Elizabeth Cady Stanton
"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
I am opposed to the horrid doctrines of Islam and the OT also, as well as to the horrid doctrines of the OT and rightwing Christianity. I like the quotes and agree with them.

I do not think all atheists are necessarily good people, or that all religious people necessarily do do bad things or are bad people. But the religious ones have to be pretty far to the "left" (for kindness, compassion, equality, mercy, freedom that does not impinge on the freedom of others) for me to really admire them. I do think that some of the centrist ones are available for limited alliances for good causes, however, such as kindness to animals, to children, to women. The liberal Catholics in Congress have a pretty good record on many issues - my friend Tom Harkin especially. Even the Kennedys to some extent, and Pelosi to so some extent. Believe it or not, there are even a few progressive Mormons, and a few environment-friendly Evangelicals. I want to be able to welcome them into coalitions against the ruining of our planet.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#590 May 4, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Supertramp trumps all arguments
LOL
"Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful" "The Lord is my Rock, my strength and my song" "Behold their sitting down and their rising up, I am their music"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 54 min ChristineM 255,482
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr ChristineM 23,869
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr karl44 14,802
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,042
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr karl44 4,452
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 33,875
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 2 hr Eagle 12 102
More from around the web