Is the bible a fairy tale?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3386 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets look at one item.
What existed when there was no time?
Would your answer to this be "god"? I'm not educated on the subjects of "space time" and all that jazz, so I can't debate or discuss it... I am interested to hear what your answer would be to this though, and how you come to the conclusion.

Location hidden

#3387 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets look at one item.
What existed when there was no time?
I genuinely don't understand how time could have never existed. It seems logical to me that there has always been time, but when humans needed to use time for a purpose they created tools to measure time.

Location hidden

#3388 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"an astronaut can be weightless,"
This is of course incorrect. While an astronaut may feel weightless he or she is never completely weightless. One could never be completely unaffected by gravity. Hence one always has weight.
No matter how small you go space and time is there.
A person or object will always have mass. The amount something weighs depends on two things, how much mass the object has, and how strong the force of gravity is where the object is at. How much something weighs is determined by multiplying the mass of the object by the force of gravity acting on the object. Also, objects in space don't weigh anything because there isn't any gravity. So, even if an object is very large, if there isn't any gravity, it doesn't weigh anything.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#3389 Jul 28, 2013
Do you believe there has always been 7th dimensional length?
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I genuinely don't understand how time could have never existed. It seems logical to me that there has always been time, but when humans needed to use time for a purpose they created tools to measure time.

Location hidden

#3390 Jul 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>An astronaut can be weightless. You like most of the time , are
wrong.
You are wrong. There is no place that is not under the influence of gravity. You are pretty naive to believe that astronaut can be weightless.

Location hidden

#3391 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. There is no place that is not under the influence of gravity. You are pretty naive to believe that astronaut can be weightless.
A person or object will always have mass. The amount something weighs depends on two things, how much mass the object has, and how strong the force of gravity is where the object is at. How much something weighs is determined by multiplying the mass of the object by the force of gravity acting on the object. Also, objects in space don't weigh anything because there isn't any gravity. So, even if an object is very large, if there isn't any gravity, it doesn't weigh anything.

To understand the astronomer’s experiences, it is important to distinguish “weightlessness” from “zero-gravity.” Astronauts feel weightless because their shuttle is in a state of continuous free fall to the earth. However, the space shuttle never falls to the earth because it is traveling horizontally at about 18,000 km/hr, opposing the force of gravity. If the spacecraft was not moving quickly enough, it would fall prey to the effects of earth’s gravitational field and fall to the earth.

Location hidden

#3392 Jul 28, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Would your answer to this be "god"? I'm not educated on the subjects of "space time" and all that jazz, so I can't debate or discuss it... I am interested to hear what your answer would be to this though, and how you come to the conclusion.
It goes like this.

Time is a dimension of our universe.
Nothing can exist with out time in our universe.
Nothing can change with out time in our universe.
Nothing can move with out time.

Science claims time started with the start of our universe at the moment of the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago.

With out time "time" could not come into existence.

Hence science believes that nothing exploded to create everything against the impossibility of it all.

God created everything including time and the laws of our universe.

Location hidden

#3393 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Creating Microgravity

The condition of microgravity comes about whenever an object is in free fall. That is, it falls faster and faster, accelerating with exactly the acceleration due to gravity (1g). As soon as you drop something (like an apple) it is in a state of free fall. The same is true if you throw something; it immediately starts falling towards Earth. But how does something fall around Earth?

Newton developed a thought experiment to demonstrate this concept. Imagine placing a cannon at the top of a very tall mountain.

Once fired, a cannonball falls to Earth. The greater the speed, the farther it will travel before landing. If fired with the proper speed, the cannonball would achieve a state of continuous free-fall around Earth, which we call orbit. The same principle applies to the space shuttle or space station. While objects inside them appear to be floating and motionless, they are actually traveling at the same orbital speed as their spacecraft: 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 km per hour)!

Objects in a state of free fall or orbit are said to be weightless. The object's mass is the same, but it would register "0" on a scale. Weight varies depending on whether you are on Earth, the moon or in orbit. But your mass stays the same, unless you go on a diet!

NASA uses a variety of facilities to create microgravity conditions. The most famous way is by aircraft flying in parabolic arcs to create microgravity for tests and simulations that last 20-25 seconds. NASA's Johnson Space Center, for example, operates a C-9 Low-G Flight Research aircraft also known as the "Vomit Comet." It make several trips each year to NASA Glenn in support of ground-based microgravity research. It's predecessor, a KC-135 aircraft, was used to shoot the weightless scenes in the movie Apollo 13.

The facilities most likely to be misconstrued as "anti-gravity chambers" are NASA's drop towers. Specifically, NASA Glenn has the Zero Gravity Research Facility. It is a large shaft some 500 feet deep that allows test packages to free fall in a vacuum for just over 5 seconds. In this state of free fall, weightlessness (at or near microgravity) can be obtained. NASA Glenn also has a 2.2 second drop tower.

You may have experienced weightlessness yourself without realizing it. Many amusement park rides create brief periods of free fall. Some rides that operate vertically without any applied forces are actually classified as free fall rides. Most roller coasters have a set of parabolic (rolling) hills that also create brief periods of weightlessness. For less adventurous people, a car ride on the rolling hills of a country road or jumping on a trampoline also create brief experiences of weightlessness.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/shuttlestat...

Location hidden

#3394 Jul 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Do you believe there has always been 7th dimensional length?
<quoted text>
lol...this is probably a subject that I would not be able to comment about considering I don't even know what that means :-/ I'm sure I could try to look it up and answer later though :D

Location hidden

#3395 Jul 28, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>I genuinely don't understand how time could have never existed. It seems logical to me that there has always been time, but when humans needed to use time for a purpose they created tools to measure time.
Yes we measure it but that's all.
We know that time is not a constant.
We know that gravity speeds time up.
We know that speed slows time down.

As a 2 dimensional object does not exist in our universe. Nothing can exist with out height or width or length or time.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3396 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
There was not a time when there was no time? LOL
Look I asked you what was there when there was no time. You agreed that "nothing" existed with out time. As you put it "that's one possibility"
There was no time and there was nothing.
Then the Big Bang and everything that exist including time appeared.
Nice MYTH.
Why do you assume that the 'nothing' was in the past? It is NOT the case that there was no time and *then* there was. Alredy in saying 'then' you assume that time exists before time.
Of course you know that anything to appear from nothing would required at the very least time. Nothing can happen with out time. Nothing can change with out time. Nothing can exist with out time. If there was was no time then any existence MUST have been created by an outside force.
Right. No thing can *change* without time. Whenever there was change, there was time. No thing can happen without time. So if something happened, there was time.

Once again, you are assuming there was *something*'when' there was no time. I am saying there wasn't even a 'when'. ALL of existence is within time. Causality is time-dependent, so there cannot be causality without time.

The conclusion is that there are two possibilities:
1) Time goes infinitely into the past. In this case, the Big Bang was a transitional stage, but not the beginning of existence.

2) Time goes only finitely far into the past. There simply was no 'before' that point *because* there was no time. There was no causality before that point because there was no 'before that point'. In particular, time itself is uncaused. Yes, it still exists. But that only shows that things don't need to be caused in order to exist. But we know *that* for other reasons.

Location hidden

#3397 Jul 28, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>A person or object will always have mass. The amount something weighs depends on two things, how much mass the object has, and how strong the force of gravity is where the object is at. How much something weighs is determined by multiplying the mass of the object by the force of gravity acting on the object. Also, objects in space don't weigh anything because there isn't any gravity. So, even if an object is very large, if there isn't any gravity, it doesn't weigh anything.
There is gravity everywhere. Gravity is very weak so even though you may think your weightless you're not.
Gravity would need incredible sensitive tool to measure it in deep space but there is gravity everywhere.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#3398 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>

You are just plain naive. Micro gravity is micro.
But yes forces can cancel each other out,and you can be in a zero g environment.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3399 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Trees are a classification used by science today. A frog is not a tree. Trees are a plant that fall into a certain category by definition. They are a kind.
Garbage. The word 'tree' is only used for convenience to signify a woody plant. But trees are incredibly varied in their forms and in their chemistry. To claim they are a 'kind' is sort of like saying all vertebrates are a kind.
The same with humans. Humans are a kind that were created by God. K-9 is a kind, cats is a kind.
Garbage again.
No here is where it gets interesting....
Monkeys are a kind that include atheist and apes. The Monkey kind does not have certain rights endowed to them by their creator, that is for humans that were created as humans. Perfect from the start and as all things in nature once sin was brought into the world sickness and death followed.
Everything from that point on has deteriorated, not gotten better.
You don't even understand the difference between apes and monkeys.

You are so wedded to your insane world view that you have no desire to actually know the truth. Furthermore, since finding truth requires both honesty and hard work and you have no desire for either, you will continue to live your life in a myth. And that includes your myth that anyone believes the caricatures you claim scientists to believe.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3400 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Turning on or off switches that already exist is not evolution, the evolution that created all the vast amount of life that has ever lived.
It's like saying cutting the grass creates a new type of grass "short grass".
No, I am saying that heritable changes in how genes are expressed is a type of evolution.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3401 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see, so now life started by itself many times?
We do not know. There is certainly a possibility of such.
And one of the self generating life forms reproduced and subsequently became the parent of all the life plant and animal and night life on earth,
Close so far. Not perfect, but acceptable.
except of course that life that is self generation life forms from rocks.
Wrong.
Of this you're almost certain of?
Nice Myth you have here.
Your lack of understanding doesn't make something false. It only means you don't understand.

And you are claiming an Earth that is less than 10,000 years old that had a universal flood isn't a myth???? Really?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3402 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again going back to time.
You agreed that when there was no time time there was nothing. That not a thing can exist, happen, change, move, be with out time. There was no before the Big Bang because time did not exist and therefore nothing existed before the Big Bang.
Good so far.
So nothing exploded to become the Big Bang and create everything.
Nice Myth you believe in.
You should have stopped when you were ahead. No, it was NOT the case that 'nothing exploded'. It was NOT a case of having 'nothing' and *then* having 'everything'. That is because the word 'then' already implies the existence of time. The 'nothing' isn't in the past. To be in the past, there would have had to be time before time. And that is non-sense.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3403 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Life did not exist. It rained on the rocks for million and millions of years. The primordial soup was built by the rain washing the building blocks of life from the rocks and from the atmosphere where they settled into a puddle and waited for just the right (Doctor Frankenstein type of) lighting to hit and create life (many times you now claim) until the right kind of life started that could self replicate.
You seem to think it was a sudden thing. It wasn't. The relevant chemistry built up over time. The transition from non-life to life was a gradual thing without a firm boundary. To some extent, it is a matter of which definition we want to use to say exactly where life started.
Then for shits and giggles this life that could self replicate decided to bring sex into the reproductive cycle just to make it more interesting.
Nice Myth you have here.
You do realize that it was billions of years between the first life and the first sex, right? You also realize that many species *today* have the option of not using sex to reproduce, right?

Well, maybe you don't.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3404 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"NOBODY claims that plants evolved into animals."
Then animals evolved into plants?
One had to be first.
Nice Myth you have here.
Not all life is plant or animal.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#3405 Jul 28, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"Weight is determined by gravity, in absence of gravity is weightlessness"
Where exactly is there a complete absents of gravity?
In other words where is there complete weightlessness?
Actually, weight is the force of *opposition* to gravity. If you have no opposition to gravity, you have no weight. For example, if you were to fall without the presence of air, you would be weightless during the fall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Hedonist Heretic 58,270
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 56 min Hedonist Heretic 1,959
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 1 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,950
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Regolith Based Li... 27,337
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 6 hr Eagle 12 57
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 9 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 171
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 20 hr IB DaMann 5,963
More from around the web