Is the bible a fairy tale?
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#3135 Jul 11, 2013
When the bible does mention insects, it says they have just four legs.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am attempting to get your definition of 'kind'. Why, by your definition, are all cats the same 'kind', but not all 'carnivores? Why not all mammals?
<quoted text>
Does the Bible claim anywhere that all cats are the same kind? All insects? Does it even mention apes?
How, in practice, do we determine what is and is not of the same kind?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3136 Jul 11, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Threatening me with your imagination just makes you look foolish.
Threat?

Where is the threat?

I said I will leave you alone.

See ya.

Location hidden

#3137 Jul 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>No, I am attempting to get your definition of 'kind'. Why, by your definition, are all cats the same 'kind', but not all 'carnivores? Why not all mammals?

[QUOTE]"Once again, how do you tell when two living things are of the same kind."
Read the bible. "

Does the Bible claim anywhere that all cats are the same kind? All insects? Does it even mention apes?

How, in practice, do we determine what is and is not of the same kind?
"No, I am attempting to get your definition of 'kind'. Why, by your definition, are all cats the same 'kind', but not all 'carnivores? Why not all mammals?"

Created kinds are organisms that are defined by creation biology as sharing a common ancestry. The phrase refers to the Genesis account of the creation week during which God created many kinds of plants and animals. They are also referred to as "original kinds," "Genesis kinds," and more formally by creation scientists as baramin The term barmin was coined in 1941 by Frank Marsh from the Hebrew words bara (create) and min (kind). The study of baramin (known as Baraminology) is a rapidly growing field of creation science involved with the identification of the created kinds.[1]

The concept of the "created kind" originates from the biblical book of Genesis where it is first mentioned in chapter 1.

"The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good. There was evening and there was morning, a third day... Then God said,'Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.' God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good. God blessed them, saying,'Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.' There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day. Then God said,'Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind'; and it was so."Genesis 1:12-24
In contrast to the evolutionary principle of common ancestry, creation biologists argue that organisms were created in a finite number of discrete forms as described in the Bible, which subsequently diversified through speciation and microevolution. There is much uncertainty about what exactly the Bible means when it talks of "kinds".

Location hidden

#3138 Jul 11, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>When the bible does mention insects, it says they have just four legs.
ICR:

"The passage? "Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing, that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth; (including) the locust ... the beetle ... and the grasshopper after his kind" (Leviticus 11:21,22). Tucked within a list of dietary regulations for the people of Israel, it refers to a number of animals whose exact identification is obscured by antiquity. But let's look closely.

First, we must recognize that modern day taxonomic categories, like species, genus, family, etc., are not the same as the Biblical "kind." Even the term "creeping thing" finds wide application meaning, in general, small animals which exist in great numbers. In this chapter it is used for insects (v. 21), various small mammals and reptiles (vv. 29,30), as well as animals which "move" in the ocean (v. 10).

Likewise the term "flying" applies both to flying insects and birds (vv. 13-19). Obviously, the context and description must take precedence in identification, and in this case, the "four legged insect" applies, in particular, to the grasshopper/locust kind.

In our modern classification system, all insects have at least six legs. They are members of the large and varied arthropod phyla, which includes also the eight-legged spiders, the multi-legged centipedes, as well as crabs—anything with segmented legs. Some insects also have wings, but these don't count as legs.

Today, locusts are considered migratory grasshoppers. They all have two large hind legs, quite different in appearance, size, and function from the front four legs. Their front legs are used for "crawling, clinging, and climbing," while their back legs rest "above" their front legs and feet, and are used for "jumping." Furthermore, the Hebrew word translated "beetle" actually comes from the verb "to leap," implying a similar leaping insect, not our modern beetle. Thus, the Biblical description of grasshoppers turns out to be exactly anatomically correct. Far from being an embarrassment to Bible believers, this passage bears sterling testimony to the accuracy and inspiration of Scripture. As always, arguments which claim that the Bible is wrong are themselves wrong, and the Bible still stands!

It was interesting that when the student made the claim of the Bible's error, it followed my 90-minute lecture on the scientific evidence for creation. I had not directly mentioned the Bible. The question, as were several others, was a smoke screen—an effort to sidestep the issue. But even if the Bible has an error (which it doesn't), that still doesn't produce transitional fossils, or identify beneficial mutations, or account for the exquisite design in living things. Such diversionary tactics are really a futile attempt to avoid the personal implications of creation.

For if creation is true and the Bible is trustworthy, then the Creator has authority over our lives and lifestyles, and someday we must stand before our Maker and give account for our actions and choices. And that is the real issue. No smoke screen can cancel that appointment."

*Dr. John Morris is President of ICR.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3139 Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
For if creation is true and the Bible is trustworthy,
The universe isn't created, and no, the ugly buybull is not trustworthy.

At all.

Fail.

Location hidden

#3140 Jul 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>The universe isn't created, and no, the ugly buybull is not trustworthy.

At all.

Fail.
Buybull the great book on evolution!

B - bull crap
U - unproven theory
Y - yelled from the roof tops
B - beseeching all to listen to an
U - unscientific
L - loony toon
L - lie

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3141 Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
B - bull crap
U - unproven theory
U - unscientific
L - loony toon
L - lie
I am so glad you agree that your ugly primer on Genuine Christianity™ is all of the above:

bullshit
unproven bullshyt
shouted by morons on sundays
beseeching all to listen to an
unscientific
loony toon
lie

Good!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3142 Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Threat?
Where is the threat?
I said I will leave you alone.
See ya.
You use your hate as a threat like some folk use breathing to stay alive...

... so full of hate are you.

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#3143 Jul 11, 2013
HERE'S bobby! I love the shining, and I think my new avatar will be of jack nicholson for a while. how are you, bob?

Location hidden

#3144 Jul 11, 2013
<quoted text>I am so glad you agree that your ugly primer on Genuine Christianity™ is all of the above:

bullshit
unproven bullshyt
shouted by morons on sundays
beseeching all to listen to an
unscientific
loony toon
lie

Good!

B - bull crap
U - unproven theory
U - unscientific
L - loony toon
L - lie

Location hidden

#3145 Jul 11, 2013
<quoted text>You use your hate as a threat like some folk use breathing to stay alive...

... so full of hate are you.
booby I don't hate you.

Why you're this threads court jester.

We're not laughing with you booby we're laughing at you.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#3146 Jul 11, 2013
Bible

B - Batshit crazy
I - Indecipherable myths
B - Blatant ignorance
L - Libel incoherent lies
E - Egotistical rants of lies
Aahil

Tempe, AZ

#3147 Jul 11, 2013
BOB OF QUANTUM FAT!

300 LBS! I HAVE PICS!

LOSER, LIFE OF DRUG ABUSE, LIAR, FAT, FAT, FAT!

Court Jester, HAHAHA - GOOD ONE!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3149 Jul 11, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
HERE'S bobby! I love the shining, and I think my new avatar will be of jack nicholson for a while. how are you, bob?
I'm good-- if overheated due to weather.

Rain is expected, though. Ought to cool things down some.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3150 Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
booby I don't hate you.
Oh, yes you do-- it is revealed by your deliberate misuse of my name.

That proves beyond a doubt how much you hate me and people like me.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3151 Jul 11, 2013
Aahil wrote:
BOB OF QUANTUM FAT!
300 LBS! I HAVE PICS!
LOSER, LIFE OF DRUG ABUSE, LIAR, FAT, FAT, FAT!
Court Jester, HAHAHA - GOOD ONE!
See? Your use of this sock-puppet proves beyond a doubt how much you hate atheists, Almighty Tzar.

Location hidden

#3152 Jul 11, 2013
<quoted text>See? Your use of this sock-puppet proves beyond a doubt how much you hate atheists, Almighty Tzar.
Oh was me? You sure booby?

booby is that your real name?

Location hidden

#3153 Jul 11, 2013
<quoted text>Oh, yes you do-- it is revealed by your deliberate misuse of my name.

That proves beyond a doubt how much you hate me and people like me.
Leviticus 18:22
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 1:26-28
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Exodus 22:19
“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

Leviticus 18:15-24
You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter-in-law; she is your son's wife, you shall not uncover her nakedness. You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; it is your brother's nakedness. You shall not uncover the nakedness of a woman and of her daughter, and you shall not take her son's daughter or her daughter's daughter to uncover her nakedness; they are relatives; it is depravity. And you shall not take a woman as a rival wife to her sister, uncovering her nakedness while her sister is still alive.“You shall not approach a woman to uncover her nakedness while she is in her menstrual uncleanness....

Romans 1:26
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature;

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3154 Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh was me? You sure booby?
booby is that your real name?
See? Your use of this sock-puppet proves beyond a doubt how much you hate atheists, Almighty Tzar.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3155 Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 18:22
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
So.

It's okay to lie to women, but you cannot tell the same sort of lies to men?

To men, you must tell **different** lies?

That sounds about right.

Your ugly BuyBull is a silly book.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Eagle 12 - 83,049
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 2,549
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web