Atheist Group Argues In Court For Rig...

Atheist Group Argues In Court For Right To Perform Weddings

There are 3 comments on the indianapublicmedia.org story from Oct 22, 2012, titled Atheist Group Argues In Court For Right To Perform Weddings. In it, indianapublicmedia.org reports that:

The ACLU says Indiana's marriage laws are unconstitutional because they do not allow non-religious organizations to marry people.

A secular organization, the Center for Inquiry, argued in federal court Monday that Indiana’s marriage statute is unconstitutional because it does not allow non-religious organizations to marry people.

Under Indiana statute, marriage is essentially a two-step process. The state issues a marriage license and then it is solemnized. The state’s marriage statute spells out who can solemnize, including religious organizations and some elected officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at indianapublicmedia.org.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#1 Oct 23, 2012
Can a Minister of Dudeism from the Church of the Latter Day Dude perform the marriage ceremony in Indiana? Abiding Dudes need to know.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#2 Oct 23, 2012
We have the same conceptual problem here in Georgia.

Our state statute says that the ceremony must be performed by a leader of a recognized religion or some such wording.

My daughter wanted to be married down in Savannah this past April and she wanted a Humanist Officiant.

So I called the county recorder's office and asked them specifically what they meant by a "recognized religion" to which they said that they do not get into deciding what is or is not a "recognized religion". I pushed the point a little and asked if that meant that they would basically accept anybody's signature on the form and she said that was right.

So I got my friend Herb Silverman to perform the ceremony out on Tybee Island. It was a most excellent wedding!
Figster

Augusta, GA

#3 Thursday Jul 23
Hedonist wrote:
We have the same conceptual problem here in Georgia.
Our state statute says that the ceremony must be performed by a leader of a recognized religion or some such wording.
My daughter wanted to be married down in Savannah this past April and she wanted a Humanist Officiant.
So I called the county recorder's office and asked them specifically what they meant by a "recognized religion" to which they said that they do not get into deciding what is or is not a "recognized religion". I pushed the point a little and asked if that meant that they would basically accept anybody's signature on the form and she said that was right.
So I got my friend Herb Silverman to perform the ceremony out on Tybee Island. It was a most excellent wedding!
So it will work, unless it is ever challenged in court. Not until then will we know if it will hold up, am I correct? As an ordained minister of the Church of Latter-Day Dude I should under the law be allowed to perform a wedding, with the catch clause being "Recognized Religion" Since they do not know what religions they "recognize" it will be up to the judge overseeing any challenge to a marriage performed.. right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 18 min Gary Coaldigger 10,712
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min Thinking 244,801
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 30 min Gary Coaldigger 20,536
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 1 hr Anonymous1386 7
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 4 hr thetruth 12
Santa vs. God: logic? 16 hr Shizle 2
Is the Christian god good? 20 hr Shizle 4
More from around the web