Atheism Rising

Dec 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Houston Press

It's a warm fall morning near the Texas State Capitol's south steps, and there's a fight brewing.

Comments
261 - 280 of 774 Comments Last updated May 2, 2013

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#272
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Really?
This is your come back because atheist numbers are falling?
LMFAO
A true nut job!
Considering all you are using this for is the bandwagon fallacy, it's moot. You are lying for your religion, nothing more, using fear to try to convert people, to get people to stop thinking about things you have to try to scare them.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#273
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby I thought you had a bit more grey matter then you're show as of late.
Wikipedia does not do its own surveys they quote others. You didn't know this?
Duh!!!!! Please try and come up with something for your cause.
I saw your hash-job of cut-n-paste.

Sorry, that doesn't cut it-- you lie by omission.

As is your usual habit, when you aren't lying outright.

This is a fact: you lie pretty much with each word you type...

... it's what you do.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#274
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are real numbers from the top sources. No more squirming please.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica...
A word about sources: there are original sources and secondary sources--and tertiary sources and so on. I prefer original sources. When perusing Wikipedia (one of my favorite sites, by the way), I usually finish up by following the links in the reference section.

The questions you should be asking yourself when you are evaluating information from Wikipedia, Britannica, the CIA Factbook, or adherents.com , are: where did the data come from?; what is its original source?; How as the data collected and analyzed?; and how old is it?. Very often, that data traces back to the Pew Forum, ARIS, Gallup, or a government statistical agency. Only by going to those original sources can you look at the all-important metadata so that you can evaluate its accuracy.

The CIA Factbook is a good case in point. The don't collect or analyze data on religious demographics. Rather, they rely on the best local data that they can find. The quality of that data varies widely from one country to the next. Some of the data is recent and fairly precise, but much is sloppy and/or old. This is especially true of the less developed Asian and African nations as well as a substantial number of Islamic nations. These nations account for more than half of the Earth's population, so the CIA data is insufficient for evaluating trends or even estimating the current worldwide demography.

Even Gallup, Pew, and ARIS have to rely on old and imprecise data in countries where collecting the data themselves is not possible for political or logistical reasons. As a result, the largest scale at which accurate estimates and trends can be evaluated is nationally, and that only for nations that facilitate or at least allow competent demographic collection, analysis, and publication.

When you look at the data at that level of detail, you will have to agree that, while the trends for some nations seem clear, worldwide religious demographic trends are unclear.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#275
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Really?
This is your come back because atheist numbers are falling?
LMFAO
A true nut job!
You lie. Proof? Here is a smattering of proof you are LYING.

Of course-- since your habit is to LIE, and LIE ALWAYS, we already knew that.

__________

Atheism/non-aligned/non-believ ers are on the rise, world-wide.

In the US:

Washington Post: Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.
" http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... ;

Huffington Post: Atheism Rises, Religiosity Declines In America
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/athe... ;

Examiner: New study: Religion in decline in the U.S., atheism on the rise
" http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-rel... ;

Yahoo News: The rise of atheism in America
" http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-america-11... ;

UK Metro: Census 2011: Christian numbers fall with atheism on the rise
" http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/11/census-2011-chr... ;

Atheism on the rise in Rwanda
" http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/03/at... ;

Ireland & the world: Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli... ;

World-wide:

Christian Monitor: Atheism on the rise around the globe
" http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/20... ;

Christian Post: Atheism on the Rise in Asian and European Nations, Poll Finds
" http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheism-on-... ;

In Wiki:

The entire article lists country after country where atheism/non-belief is on the rise, not falling as YOU LIE.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_... ;

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#276
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering all you are using this for is the bandwagon fallacy, it's moot. You are lying for your religion, nothing more, using fear to try to convert people, to get people to stop thinking about things you have to try to scare them.
Yes-- his lies appear to be growing quite desperate, of late.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#277
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Considering all you are using this for is the bandwagon fallacy, it's moot. You are lying for your religion, nothing more, using fear to try to convert people, to get people to stop thinking about things you have to try to scare them.
Foolish one. Please don't convert!
I'll give you three reasons why you can't convert.

1) too few of atheist already
2) plenty of theist already we don't need ya

3) Satan already owns your soul.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#278
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>I saw your hash-job of cut-n-paste.

Sorry, that doesn't cut it-- you lie by omission.

As is your usual habit, when you aren't lying outright.

This is a fact: you lie pretty much with each word you type...

... it's what you do.
I quoted each segment that I picked in whole. And left a link for all who wish to read the complete article.

Didn't hide a thing. The stuff I posted was correct and complete in its own.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#279
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one. Please don't convert!
I'll give you three reasons why you can't convert.
1) too few of atheist already
2) plenty of theist already we don't need ya
3) Satan already owns your soul.
That's a lot of words for you to admit you're wrong.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#280
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Not to mention we atheists sure do exercise a lot of control over his life seeing as how much time he spends on here humiliating himself.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Considering all you are using this for is the bandwagon fallacy, it's moot. You are lying for your religion, nothing more, using fear to try to convert people, to get people to stop thinking about things you have to try to scare them.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

This has been explained to him dozens of times before but we see he is unable to respond. He merely copies and pastes tired old Derek posts again and again.

Like nothing John a program could do all of his posts for him.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>A word about sources: there are original sources and secondary sources--and tertiary sources and so on. I prefer original sources. When perusing Wikipedia (one of my favorite sites, by the way), I usually finish up by following the links in the reference section.

The questions you should be asking yourself when you are evaluating information from Wikipedia, Britannica, the CIA Factbook, or adherents.com , are: where did the data come from?; what is its original source?; How as the data collected and analyzed?; and how old is it?. Very often, that data traces back to the Pew Forum, ARIS, Gallup, or a government statistical agency. Only by going to those original sources can you look at the all-important metadata so that you can evaluate its accuracy.

The CIA Factbook is a good case in point. The don't collect or analyze data on religious demographics. Rather, they rely on the best local data that they can find. The quality of that data varies widely from one country to the next. Some of the data is recent and fairly precise, but much is sloppy and/or old. This is especially true of the less developed Asian and African nations as well as a substantial number of Islamic nations. These nations account for more than half of the Earth's population, so the CIA data is insufficient for evaluating trends or even estimating the current worldwide demography.

Even Gallup, Pew, and ARIS have to rely on old and imprecise data in countries where collecting the data themselves is not possible for political or logistical reasons. As a result, the largest scale at which accurate estimates and trends can be evaluated is nationally, and that only for nations that facilitate or at least allow competent demographic collection, analysis, and publication.

When you look at the data at that level of detail, you will have to agree that, while the trends for some nations seem clear, worldwide religious demographic trends are unclear.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#282
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I quoted each segment that I picked in whole. And left a link for all who wish to read the complete article.
Didn't hide a thing. The stuff I posted was correct and complete in its own.
No-- you LIED. Proof? Here ya go:

__________
Atheism/non-aligned/non-believ ers are on the rise, world-wide.
In the US:
Washington Post: Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.
" http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... ;
Huffington Post: Atheism Rises, Religiosity Declines In America
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/athe... ;
Examiner: New study: Religion in decline in the U.S., atheism on the rise
" http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-rel... ;
Yahoo News: The rise of atheism in America
" http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-america-11... ;
UK Metro: Census 2011: Christian numbers fall with atheism on the rise
" http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/11/census-2011-chr... ;
Atheism on the rise in Rwanda
" http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/03/at... ;
Ireland & the world: Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli... ;
World-wide:
Christian Monitor: Atheism on the rise around the globe
" http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/20... ;
Christian Post: Atheism on the Rise in Asian and European Nations, Poll Finds
" http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheism-on-... ;
In Wiki:
The entire article lists country after country where atheism/non-belief is on the rise, not falling as YOU LIE.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_... ;

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#283
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one. Please don't convert!
I'll give you three reasons why you can't convert.
1) too few of atheist already
2) plenty of theist already we don't need ya
3) Satan already owns your soul.
Your imaginary shiny-cloth-hero is no more real that Harry Potter's Voldemort is.

You silly person.

But.

Let's pretend your "satan" IS REAL for a sec:

If what you claim above is TRUE?

YOU JUST GAVE YOUR SATAN MORE POWER THAN YOUR LITTLE GOD!

LMAO!
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#285
Mar 20, 2013
 
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, no doubt: anything that makes him into a victim...
Mel enjoy his drink ...and then he goes off on a tirade?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#286
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

This page has some issues
Main category: Religious demographics
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#287
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Your imaginary shiny-cloth-hero is no more real that Harry Potter's Voldemort is.

You silly person.

But.

Let's pretend your "satan" IS REAL for a sec:

If what you claim above is TRUE?

YOU JUST GAVE YOUR SATAN MORE POWER THAN YOUR LITTLE GOD!

LMAO!
Wrong bobby

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#288
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Okay you just posted this and it was just refuted. You really need to stop spam blasting the same copy and paste spam that you stole from Derek several times on each page. Especially when it's factually refuted and you refuse to address those points.

Keep doing it and we will have no choice but to report you for spamming and rightfully so. You have been warned about this before and you know it.
Langoliers wrote:

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#290
Mar 21, 2013
 
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Okay you just posted this and it was just refuted. You really need to stop spam blasting the same copy and paste spam that you stole from Derek several times on each page. Especially when it's factually refuted and you refuse to address those points.

Keep doing it and we will have no choice but to report you for spamming and rightfully so. You have been warned about this before and you know it.
Refuted? LOL

You didn't like it but it on that page!

Refuted. LOL

I didn't get this from Derek.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#291
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Refuted? LOL
You didn't like it but it on that page!
Refuted. LOL
I didn't get this from Derek.
Yes. Refuted. I did as well. Here it is mine again:

__________
Atheism/non-aligned/non-believ ers are on the rise, world-wide.
In the US:
Washington Post: Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.
" http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... ;
Huffington Post: Atheism Rises, Religiosity Declines In America
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/athe... ;
Examiner: New study: Religion in decline in the U.S., atheism on the rise
" http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-rel... ;
Yahoo News: The rise of atheism in America
" http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-america-11... ;
UK Metro: Census 2011: Christian numbers fall with atheism on the rise
" http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/11/census-2011-chr... ;
Atheism on the rise in Rwanda
" http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/03/at... ;
Ireland & the world: Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli... ;
World-wide:
Christian Monitor: Atheism on the rise around the globe
" http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/20... ;
Christian Post: Atheism on the Rise in Asian and European Nations, Poll Finds
" http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheism-on-... ;
In Wiki:
The entire article lists country after country where atheism/non-belief is on the rise, not falling as YOU LIE.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_... ;

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#292
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Too funny.

This threads topic is "Atheist Rising"
Rising to what?

Their population is down world wide.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.

They sure as hell are not going to rise to
Heaven.

Where the hell do you guys think your rising to?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#293
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Langoliers wrote:
Too funny.
This threads topic is "Atheist Rising"
Rising to what?
Their population is down world wide.
Lie

__________
Atheism/non-aligned/non-believ ers are on the rise, world-wide.
In the US:
Washington Post: Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.
" http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... ;
Huffington Post: Atheism Rises, Religiosity Declines In America
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/athe... ;
Examiner: New study: Religion in decline in the U.S., atheism on the rise
" http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-rel... ;
Yahoo News: The rise of atheism in America
" http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-america-11... ;
UK Metro: Census 2011: Christian numbers fall with atheism on the rise
" http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/11/census-2011-chr... ;
Atheism on the rise in Rwanda
" http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/03/at... ;
Ireland & the world: Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli... ;
World-wide:
Christian Monitor: Atheism on the rise around the globe
" http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/20... ;
Christian Post: Atheism on the Rise in Asian and European Nations, Poll Finds
" http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheism-on-... ;
In Wiki:
The entire article lists country after country where atheism/non-belief is on the rise, not falling as YOU LIE.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_... ;

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 52 min No-Doubt 270
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 224,087
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr DonPanic 21,384
Our world came from nothing? 7 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 7 hr religionisillness 361
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 13 hr Patrick 16
•••
•••