"So are you an atheist, or an agnostic?"

There are 32 comments on the Tempus Fugit story from Jun 24, 2012, titled "So are you an atheist, or an agnostic?". In it, Tempus Fugit reports that:

Theism is a belief in a god . Atheism is a lack of belief in a god . Consider the question: "do you believe in any gods?" If your answer is "no", "I don't know", silence, or anything except "yes" you're an atheist.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tempus Fugit.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#1 Jun 25, 2012
I do not agree with that. I do not know means you are an agnostic. I do not believe means you are an atheist. I do not know and I also do not believe means you are an agnostic atheist.

I am sure there is no God of any sort, is the view best called "hard" atheism, because it makes a knowledge claim.

The agnostic can be asked a second question, of course, which is "what is your opinion, your best guess, your belief?"

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#2 Jun 27, 2012
"I do not know and I also do not believe means you are an agnostic atheist."

That's a Bingo!
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#3 Jun 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
I do not agree with that. I do not know means you are an agnostic. I do not believe means you are an atheist. I do not know and I also do not believe means you are an agnostic atheist.
I am sure there is no God of any sort, is the view best called "hard" atheism, because it makes a knowledge claim.
The agnostic can be asked a second question, of course, which is "what is your opinion, your best guess, your belief?"
Nope. Atheism is a catch all for anyone who lacks belief in a god. You can add all sorts of qualifiers (100 % sure there is not god, 80% sure there is not god, sure the abrahamic god is false but maybe the possibility exists of others) but they all have one thing in common. They are atheists.
havent forgotten wrote:
Where the f**k did you go on the Snow Bunny thread? You made a big show of stroking her in the chances of getting a bj but then you disappear when she responds to you. WTF?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#4 Jun 27, 2012
Atheist.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#5 Jun 27, 2012
“I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic.

"I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.”~ Isaac Asimov

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#6 Jun 28, 2012
Atheist

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#7 Jun 28, 2012
nontheist

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#8 Jun 29, 2012
Teenager

Whatever you are.....get out of my way.

Thanksbai

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#9 Jun 29, 2012
I'm stick'n with Hedonist and Asimov. Agnostics are a bunch of wimps. Pick a side, take a stand. It may violate some philosophical rule or some purist logician dictate but at least it's intellectually honest and show's you got a pair. Uh ... Atheist Ladies are awarded a pair in honorarium.

Texas, USA

#10 Jun 29, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Teenager
Whatever you are.....get out of my way.
Thanksbai
Gladly!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11 Jun 30, 2012
The main thing is not to be dogmatic about it. It's what people think that matters, not the label.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/agnostic

Am I an atheist, agnostic or non-believer? Just don't call me religious, please.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#12 Jun 30, 2012
I was raised by unitarian wolves and adopted by southern-baptist ferrets. I have a howlin' good time are weaseling my way out of any difficult situation. So, I guess I'm an atheist.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#13 Jun 30, 2012
delete 'are'

Since: Sep 10

Saint Peters, MO

#14 Jul 1, 2012
RHill,

re:“Agnostics are a bunch of wimps. Pick a side, take a stand.”

As has been mentioned, there are agnostic atheists, and there are agnostic theists. To which group are you referring?

Texas, USA

#15 Jul 1, 2012
rstrats wrote:
RHill,
re:“Agnostics are a bunch of wimps. Pick a side, take a stand.”
As has been mentioned, there are agnostic atheists, and there are agnostic theists. To which group are you referring?
Agnostic Theists I guess. Agnostic Atheist ... I duuno, just don't sound right to me ... you either one or the other ... but that's just me being dumb.

Since: Jun 12

Conyers, GA

#16 Jul 2, 2012
Atheist agnostic, keeping an open mind is the way to go.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#17 Jul 3, 2012
dimplezk wrote:
Atheist agnostic, keeping an open mind is the way to go.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#18 Jul 3, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out...
Apathetic Athiest. Gods don't exist but I really don't care.

“Behave Yourself”

Since: Jul 07

Fort Worth, Texas

#19 Jul 3, 2012
Unabashed Atheist

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#20 Jul 3, 2012
Atheist

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr polymath257 239,214
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr ChristineM 7,410
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr ChristineM 19,045
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 2,181
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 22 hr Thinking 31
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) Mon NoahLovesU 7,468
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists Mon thetruth 115
More from around the web