Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Apr 9, 2013 Full story: Religion Dispatched 3,766

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Full Story

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1020 May 1, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I think this misses the point.
There is plenty of evidence that Hitler publicly took religion and religious belief as seriously as many people, Pres Obama for instance. There are plenty of quotes from either of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_...
What of his private beliefs and how did they alter over time? We don't know. For all we know, Hitler was as sincere a R-Catholic as Obama is a Christian - which, possibly, might be 'not at all', or marginal. This discussion shows how difficult it is to improve society to the extent that atheism is as understood and acceptable as religionism.
For all his Catholicism, sincere or tougue-in-cheek, it didn't make him or his society from Nazism which was an ideology neither motivated nor impeded by religion/atheism.
There's a saying I'm considering: when Hitler is brought into a discussion, its might be time to abandon it.
JMHO
I agree and been trying to explain that to these people

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1021 May 1, 2013
As for me.
I dont believe Obama was born in Kenya and is trying to convert the USA to Islam.
I dont believe Bush planned 9/11
I dont believe Bill Clinton killed his best friend Jody Foster.
I dont believe the Protocols of Zion are the truth.
I dont believe the Masons are secretly controlling all the World events.
I dont believe there a Dinosaur living in Loch Ness.
And I dont believe4 Hitler was a practicing Catholic.
The evidence against all the above far out weighs the evidence for.
Thinking

London, UK

#1022 May 1, 2013
BS.

Hitler was the catholic leader of a majority protestant Germany.
californio wrote:
As for me.
I dont believe Obama was born in Kenya and is trying to convert the USA to Islam.
I dont believe Bush planned 9/11
I dont believe Bill Clinton killed his best friend Jody Foster.
I dont believe the Protocols of Zion are the truth.
I dont believe the Masons are secretly controlling all the World events.
I dont believe there a Dinosaur living in Loch Ness.
And I dont believe4 Hitler was a practicing Catholic.
The evidence against all the above far out weighs the evidence for.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1023 May 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
BS.
Hitler was the catholic leader of a majority protestant Germany.
<quoted text>
he promoted the catholic church in nazi Germany?

when? how?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1024 May 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are claiming knowledge you do not have.
False. I question YOUR claim of knowledge you CLEARLY do not have, though...

... such as your ludicrous claims of ... god.

A non-existent <whatever>, BY DEFINITION, cannot have properties...!

.. nor can a non-existent <whatever> have EMOTIONS.

<laughing at the doofus and mind-numbingly STUPID buckster >

Are you really this stupid? Or did you take special stupid lessons?

<laughing harder>

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1025 May 1, 2013
californio wrote:
<quoted text> Ok here
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_m...
And here
http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...
And here
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/pe...
m All stateing Hitler diearies ARE forgeries.
Now I know you are willing to use forgeries to prove your point, well what can I say.
You used Liars For Jewsus websites I presume?

In any case-- I won't be tricked into clicking any--

-- LMAO!

Sauce for the goose and all that--

Hitler was a Genuine Catholic™ according to the photographic evidence, among many other artifacts left behind.

Get over it-- your ugly religion FAILED to make Hitler into a good human being--- it FAILED him-- he was RAISED in it, but your god was...

... incapable of helping Hitler.

Just like your god FAILED to help Stalin-- who was ALSO raised in your ugly religion as a youngster...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1026 May 1, 2013
californio wrote:
<quoted text> Most nutjobs sites do. They take a fact from here and another fact from here and soon they have "facts" saying bigfoot is real, elvis is alive and pumping gas in new mexico etc..
all I ask is show me ONE mainstream historian that states Hitler was a practicing catholic and believed Catholic doctrine. Just one is all I am asking.
You did not click any, did you?

Nope-- if you did, you'd see the PHOTOGRAPHS, which is what I was looking for.

But I tried to click one of your "links"... it would not pass my anti-SPAM engine, which informed me it was an attack website...

... so I skipped the others too.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1027 May 1, 2013
californio wrote:
<quoted text> I agree and been trying to explain that to these people
It hardly matters-- Hitler was certainly TRAINED in your religion.

And it failed him-- utterly.

That is hardly an endorsement, is it?

Did not your omniscient god FORESEE Hitler's ultimate actions?

Why not?(free will is not an acceptable excuse-- your bible shows countless times when bible-god usurped free will in an enemy...)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1028 May 1, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering. I remember that you wrote in a post three or four years ago that you were working towards a PhD in physics, but I also gathered that you were teaching full time as well. It sounds like you still have a year or two to go, but congrats on your progress so far.
The physics degree is on hold. I had one advisor die from cancer and another move to another state. Nobody left in the physics department here is interested in the astrophysics I prefer. I guess I could do solid state, but I am just not as interested in it. Also, my duties in the math department take priority and have increased recently. I've had fun and could finish if I had more time, but I don't right now. Bleh.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1029 May 1, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The physics degree is on hold. I had one advisor die from cancer and another move to another state. Nobody left in the physics department here is interested in the astrophysics I prefer. I guess I could do solid state, but I am just not as interested in it. Also, my duties in the math department take priority and have increased recently. I've had fun and could finish if I had more time, but I don't right now. Bleh.
But clearly you have what it takes: brains and determination to finish.

:)

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#1030 May 1, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The physics degree is on hold. I had one advisor die from cancer and another move to another state. Nobody left in the physics department here is interested in the astrophysics I prefer. I guess I could do solid state, but I am just not as interested in it. Also, my duties in the math department take priority and have increased recently. I've had fun and could finish if I had more time, but I don't right now. Bleh.
Advisors can be a problem. My ex's first advisor moved, her second and third ones passed her to a fourth one who used her as a lab rat without helping her to advance, and her fifth one made promises he couldn't keep. In the end, the clock ran out and her committee pulled the plug and gave her another masters degree as sort of a consolation prize. That's why she's a midwife instead of a neurobiologist. the punchline is that after I supported her both financially and emotionally through all of that and then paid for her midwifery tuition, she bailed out because I was no supportive enough for her. Oh, well...
Thinking

London, UK

#1031 May 2, 2013
Yes he did. Look at the Reichskonkordat in 1933, for starters.

But for the sake of avoiding ambiguity:

Hitler was a lifelong catholic who led a majority protestant Germany.
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>he promoted the catholic church in nazi Germany?
when? how?
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#1032 May 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that nice? Your ugly BuyBull is being edited... AGAIN... to fit modern reality. Sort of....
... they left in the bits that cannot be verified though, didn't they?
Yes they did.... how convenient.
<quoted text>
So? It's still a myth and a fairy-tale, regardless of how many apologies you have to make of it.
LOL!
And that's enough of YOU.... the rest of your word-wall goes unread...
... booooring.
Not surprising. Reading your posts, it appears that you have no use for facts, only poorly formulated opinions and conjecture.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#1033 May 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that nice? Your ugly BuyBull is being edited... AGAIN... to fit modern reality. Sort of....
... they left in the bits that cannot be verified though, didn't they?
Yes they did.... how convenient.
<quoted text>
So? It's still a myth and a fairy-tale, regardless of how many apologies you have to make of it.
LOL!
And that's enough of YOU.... the rest of your word-wall goes unread...
... booooring.
BTW ... I wasn't making apologies for the bible, only pointing out your ignorance on the subject that you were speaking. Regardless of your childishness is still does not change the fact that your argument was flawed. Much like you.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1034 May 2, 2013
Thinking wrote:
BS.
Hitler was the catholic leader of a majority protestant Germany.
<quoted text>
These trolls do try hard don't they?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1035 May 2, 2013
californio wrote:
<quoted text> Most nutjobs sites do. They take a fact from here and another fact from here and soon they have "facts" saying bigfoot is real, elvis is alive and pumping gas in new mexico etc..
all I ask is show me ONE mainstream historian that states Hitler was a practicing catholic and believed Catholic doctrine. Just one is all I am asking.
You are confusing solid sources with hearsay still.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#1036 May 2, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Advisors can be a problem. My ex's first advisor moved, her second and third ones passed her to a fourth one who used her as a lab rat without helping her to advance, and her fifth one made promises he couldn't keep. In the end, the clock ran out and her committee pulled the plug and gave her another masters degree as sort of a consolation prize. That's why she's a midwife instead of a neurobiologist. the punchline is that after I supported her both financially and emotionally through all of that and then paid for her midwifery tuition, she bailed out because I was no supportive enough for her. Oh, well...
If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1037 May 2, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Advisors can be a problem. My ex's first advisor moved, her second and third ones passed her to a fourth one who used her as a lab rat without helping her to advance, and her fifth one made promises he couldn't keep. In the end, the clock ran out and her committee pulled the plug and gave her another masters degree as sort of a consolation prize. That's why she's a midwife instead of a neurobiologist. the punchline is that after I supported her both financially and emotionally through all of that and then paid for her midwifery tuition, she bailed out because I was no supportive enough for her. Oh, well...
Ouch! I've known more than one example of such behavior.

I already have the PhD in math, so another one in physics would be icing on the cake. I am in it mostly for the knowledge (and a bit of pride). But it would be nice to finish at some point--actually have that piece of paper.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1038 May 2, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
What level of knowledge is implied by a B.S. or a B.A. in physics? Do martinezjosei's posts reflect that level of understanding?
It's hard to tell. He has mostly quoted from some pretty nutty websites. That's why I asked the question about the frequency of the photon emitted when an electron goes from the n=3 to the n=2 levels in hydrogen. Someone that has actually had quantum mechanics would be able to do this problem immediately. Someone that hadn't would have problems googling it.
Do some of the Christian colleges, accredited or not, teach ideas in physics that might be considered unscientific in the larger community of physicists?
My impression is that the Christian colleges don't get close to real quantum mechanics.
In other words, is there any justifiable basis for questioning his claim to have such a degree?
I have seen no actual evidence one way or another. He could have a BS in physics and have dropped off the mystical edge. It happens. It seems more likely that he is bluffing, but I withhold judgment on that.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#1039 May 2, 2013
Let me ask just one very simple question, how many of you on here talking shit have ever lived in a muslim country? How many of you have been able to travel the world and live for more than a week in a muslim country. My guess is none of you!
I lived in Saudi Arabia for 3 years, not on a military post, but out there among them, and to be honest 99% of you haven't got a damn clue as to what the muslims want from us. If you don't convert then you die, simple and rather straight forward. It's their way or goodbye.
So what I am saying is that Americans need to stop with this bullshit that we want everyone in the world to love us, because we are really nice people. End all immigration into America from all, mid-east countries and all muslim gargage from any place in the world. Then and only then can you be 95% sure that you can really walk the streets of your cities. None of know how much they really hate Americans and the American way of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr MUQ1 23,000
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Dave Nelson 230,104
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 1,403
Islam for peace, or violence? 5 hr Thinking 52
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Thinking 1,061
Man center of the universe. 11 hr hpcaban 88
Does Being 'Spiritual But Not Religious' Really... 11 hr hpcaban 4

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE