Atheist Islamophobia... Again

There are 3766 comments on the Religion Dispatched story from Apr 9, 2013, titled Atheist Islamophobia... Again. In it, Religion Dispatched reports that:

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion Dispatched.

Oh please

Coffeyville, KS

#3122 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It rather depends on what you do with your beliefs.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/witchhunt-2013041...
<quoted text>
True, but whatever anyone does is completely on them. We are each as individuals responsible for our own actions. Someone that call themselves a "Christian" doing something bad only means that individual is responsible, not every "Christian". Even if they do it saying it's "for their religion" or blames it on their beliefs. It's still just on them.

If an atheist commits a crime it is on them. All atheist are not bad people just because one idiot went out and did something wrong, even if they blame their lack of belief in God.

Our society needs to start making people be responsible for their own actions and stop with accepting excuses for bad behavior and stop grouping everyone together that believes the same as the idiot as far as religion or lack there of. The same goes with race.

Personal responsibility is what is missing in this world and is what is desperately needed.
Thinking

UK

#3123 Aug 1, 2013
Since when did belief reduce crime?
Oh please wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but whatever anyone does is completely on them. We are each as individuals responsible for our own actions. Someone that call themselves a "Christian" doing something bad only means that individual is responsible, not every "Christian". Even if they do it saying it's "for their religion" or blames it on their beliefs. It's still just on them.
If an atheist commits a crime it is on them. All atheist are not bad people just because one idiot went out and did something wrong, even if they blame their lack of belief in God.
Our society needs to start making people be responsible for their own actions and stop with accepting excuses for bad behavior and stop grouping everyone together that believes the same as the idiot as far as religion or lack there of. The same goes with race.
Personal responsibility is what is missing in this world and is what is desperately needed.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#3124 Aug 1, 2013
Oh please wrote:
Why do atheist give a shit if others believe differently or not? You wouldn't be trying to push your beliefs down anyone's throat would you? After all, isn't that what you hate about those that believe in God?
Because we are interested in the truth and beliefs have consequences. btw a lot of the debate on the atheism forum is between atheists. We are not necessarily out to convert anyone, often here it is atheists defending vicious attacks as to why they believe as they do.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#3125 Aug 1, 2013
Oh please wrote:
You really need to let go of this obsession you seem to have with needing "proof" of something you don't care about anyway. Makes no sense at all....
It is not an obsession, but an interest. People here will debate in subjects that are interesting to them. I would say promoting rational thought is a good thing and a sign of a healthy mind, wouldnt you?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3126 Aug 1, 2013
Oh please wrote:
Why do atheist give a shit if others believe differently or not? You wouldn't be trying to push your beliefs down anyone's throat would you? After all, isn't that what you hate about those that believe in God?
No one has to "prove" anything to you. If you don't want to believe than don't. People believe differently about a lot of things in this world, that should be fine. Why would you want everyone to walk around like a drone and everyone have the same beliefs and no one being an individual at all?
You really need to let go of this obsession you seem to have with needing "proof" of something you don't care about anyway. Makes no sense at all....you don't believe in God but you are obsessed with those that do believe somehow proving his existence to you. It's not a part of your life so you shouldn't need proof of God anyway. Just live your life your way and believe what you want and leave others to their beliefs.
Sorry.. but you are missing the boat here. I highly doubt we'd be having these 'arguments' if it weren't for christians trying to get their creation myth taught as fact in public school science classes and having their bible based views written into laws that govern every one. Keep your religion your own business and it's likely there would be no "debate" about it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3127 Aug 1, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.......
Nothing can exist with out time.
Nothing can happen without time.
Time had to be the the first thing to be created or in your case "Pop into existence from nothing"
Time cannot be uncaused it was first to exist.
In particular, your deity cannot exist without time. So your deity could not have caused time.
Amused

Princeton, MA

#3128 Aug 1, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
...I would say promoting rational thought is a good thing and a sign of a healthy mind, wouldnt you?
In general, I suspect christians would not agree. See the following from one of the most important figures in christianity:

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.”
Martin Luther

Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
Martin Luther

In general, christianity is built on a foundation of faith, which is the antonym for 'rational thought'.
Amused

Princeton, MA

#3129 Aug 1, 2013
Oh please wrote:
No one has to "prove" anything to you. If you don't want to believe than don't. People believe differently about a lot of things in this world, that should be fine. Why would you want everyone to walk around like a drone and everyone have the same beliefs and no one being an individual at all?
You really need to let go of this obsession you seem to have with needing "proof" of something you don't care about anyway. Makes no sense at all....you don't believe in God but you are obsessed with those that do believe somehow proving his existence to you. It's not a part of your life so you shouldn't need proof of God anyway. Just live your life your way and believe what you want and leave others to their beliefs.
In principle, you and I hold positions not that far apart. I really don't care what you believe, don't care if you build churches, give all your money to churches, spend every free moment reading the bible, etc. Where this consensus breaks down is where the majority (believers) being essentially surrounded by like-minded people essentially become blind to the fact that those who do not believe even exist. I really think that most cases where atheists feel imposed upon by public prayer, etc. are not the result of deliberate attempts to push faith on others so much as the result of believers not even considering the possibility of there being people outside their echo chamber.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3130 Aug 1, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
In principle, you and I hold positions not that far apart. I really don't care what you believe, don't care if you build churches, give all your money to churches, spend every free moment reading the bible, etc. Where this consensus breaks down is where the majority (believers) being essentially surrounded by like-minded people essentially become blind to the fact that those who do not believe even exist. I really think that most cases where atheists feel imposed upon by public prayer, etc. are not the result of deliberate attempts to push faith on others so much as the result of believers not even considering the possibility of there being people outside their echo chamber.
Well stated!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3131 Aug 1, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Other way around, sport.
Nope. Your hate is all you got, here. You display that with each of your hateful posts-- such as calling me "sport".

That's but one of many examples showing the depth of your hate.
huntcoyotes wrote:
You're the hateful one. For no other reason than the history of your lost religon and you therefore think all Christians are the same as the ones who disgusted you.
Not all-- but **you** certainly are one such. You disgust me with each hateful example of your ugly words.
huntcoyotes wrote:
I'll tell you this- I've met Christians who disgusted me, as well.
Every morning in the mirror?

I can believe that one...
huntcoyotes wrote:
I feel sorry for you (pity), but I don't know you well enough to hate you- sorry to dissappoint you.
Riiiiiight... yet you feel the need to do your best to denigrate me PERSONALLY with each of your ugly posts.

.... riiiiight...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3132 Aug 1, 2013
Oh please wrote:
Why do atheist give a shit if others believe differently or not?
We don't give a rat-f**ck if you want to believe in the Smurfs.

It's what you DO with your hate and your bigotry...

... such as your cult's continuous fighting of Marriage Equality.

That's one.

And your cult's continuous desire to limit all women's reproductive choice.

That's another.

It gets worse...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3133 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It rather depends on what you do with your beliefs.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/witchhunt-2013041...
<quoted text>
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3134 Aug 1, 2013
Oh please wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but whatever anyone does is completely on them. We are each as individuals responsible for our own actions.
FALSE.

Your ugly cult uses the same BIBLE to JUSTIFY it's activities.

So long as YOU keep promoting the same, evil book?

YOU ARE EQUALLY LIABLE FOR ANYTHING THEY DO, BECAUSE OF THE BIBLE.

If you don't LIKE that?

CHANGE the bible you use to be LESS evil.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3135 Aug 1, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.

This.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#3136 Aug 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Your hate is all you got, here. You display that with each of your hateful posts-- such as calling me "sport".
That's but one of many examples showing the depth of your hate.
<quoted text>
Not all-- but **you** certainly are one such. You disgust me with each hateful example of your ugly words.
<quoted text>
Every morning in the mirror?
I can believe that one...
<quoted text>
Riiiiiight... yet you feel the need to do your best to denigrate me PERSONALLY with each of your ugly posts.
.... riiiiight...
You're a funny guy, bob. You insist I hate you simply because I respond to you but do not agree with you- that's the sad part of you being you. Jesus told us to "Love one another", and as a result I cannot bring myself to hate, but "love" is asking a bit much so I fall short there. I find it hilarious that you insist on teling me how i feel and how I hate you and all your snide insults that have been the results of our posts and yet you insist that it is I who is the hateful one...what a sad pathetic and lonely life you have. Such a hollow loveless and paranoid person you must be. I pity you.
LCN Llin

United States

#3138 Aug 1, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>You're a funny guy, bob. You insist I hate you simply because I respond to you but do not agree with you- that's the sad part of you being you. Jesus told us to "Love one another", and as a result I cannot bring myself to hate, but "love" is asking a bit much so I fall short there. I find it hilarious that you insist on teling me how i feel and how I hate you and all your snide insults that have been the results of our posts and yet you insist that it is I who is the hateful one...what a sad pathetic and lonely life you have. Such a hollow loveless and paranoid person you must be. I pity you.
You have a life off topix, Bob/Sheldon lives here
LOL

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3140 Aug 1, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>In particular, your deity cannot exist without time. So your deity could not have caused time.
Wrong yet again. God created the universe and all that goes with it including time. He is outside of time.

That is why he is the alpha and the omega.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3141 Aug 1, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong yet again. God created the universe and all that goes with it including time. He is outside of time.
That is why he is the alpha and the omega.
your god has been proven false. you worship a proven myth...
LCN Llin

United States

#3142 Aug 1, 2013
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—

Responding to Pope Francis’s suggestion that the Pope is not capable of judging gays, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia contacted the Vatican today to say that he would be “more than happy” to help the Pontiff do so.

“If he’s having trouble judging homosexuals, well, then I’m his man,” Scalia told reporters after making his offer.“I have over a quarter century of professional experience.”

Justice Scalia said that he was sympathetic to Pope Francis’s difficulty in judging gays, but added,“Once he spends a few weeks watching the master at work, I’m sure he’ll get the hang of it.”

“I wasn’t great at judging homosexuals my first year in the job, either,” he said.“But now I can do it without thinking.”

Justice Scalia said that once Pope Francis feels confident about his ability to judge gays, he would help the Pontiff learn how to judge minorities and women.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3144 Aug 1, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>You're a funny guy, bob. You insist I hate you simply because I respond to you but do not agree with you- that's the sad part of you being you. Jesus told us to "Love one another", and as a result I cannot bring myself to hate, but "love" is asking a bit much so I fall short there. I find it hilarious that you insist on teling me how i feel and how I hate you and all your snide insults that have been the results of our posts and yet you insist that it is I who is the hateful one...what a sad pathetic and lonely life you have. Such a hollow loveless and paranoid person you must be. I pity you.
Sure, sure-- you don't "hate" me-- but you are willing to write horrible things ABOUT me, as in the above...

... I just criticize your ugly religion.

But you, in a lovely demonstration of "christian love", heap piles of PERSONAL ABUSE on me.

Now nice.

Your attitude-- your constant abuse-- comes across as hate.

Any way you slice it.

Paranoid? Riiiight-- that's just projection on your part.

Goes with your hate of me and people like me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr woodtick57 7,178
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr superwilly 80
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Uncle Sam 238,884
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 7 hr karl44 7,431
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 8 hr thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed thetruth 2,171
More from around the web