Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Apr 9, 2013 Full story: Religion Dispatched 3,766

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Read more

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2730 Jul 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but you DO.
Else you are just lying.
Which is it?
We've been over this before, sheldon. You aren't the judge and jury for the world and what constitutes truth. As to whether or not Christians lie, you aren't on the jury for THAT one either. Face it, sheldon, you cannot tell people what they should believe in and it has no effect on your life as to WHAT they believe. At worst, you'll be inconvenienced on Sundays by the traffic and if you go out to eat early in the afternoon. I'd enjoy it more if you went into a restaurant on a Sunday afternoon and tried your hate-rhetoric on some of the patrons. THAT would be a show worth watching. Of course, you and your little hate-mongering bobclones wouldn't flex your mighty internet ninja skills in the Real World- only as anonymous tough-guys on forums such as these is your "bravery" apparent. It must be difficult to harbor such seething rage and be unable to manifest it in the real world. I laugh at you.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2731 Jul 7, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>We've been over this before, sheldon. You aren't the judge and jury for the world and what constitutes truth. As to whether or not Christians lie, you aren't on the jury for THAT one either. Face it, sheldon, you cannot tell people what they should believe in and it has no effect on your life as to WHAT they believe. At worst, you'll be inconvenienced on Sundays by the traffic and if you go out to eat early in the afternoon. I'd enjoy it more if you went into a restaurant on a Sunday afternoon and tried your hate-rhetoric on some of the patrons. THAT would be a show worth watching. Of course, you and your little hate-mongering bobclones wouldn't flex your mighty internet ninja skills in the Real World- only as anonymous tough-guys on forums such as these is your "bravery" apparent. It must be difficult to harbor such seething rage and be unable to manifest it in the real world. I laugh at you.
If that were the extent that Christians affected my life, I would have no problem with them. But, instead of being the passive force you claim, they are circumventing the democratic processes and putting new, restrictive anti-abortion legislation through in special sessions or in midnight amendments to vital legislation. Instead of being merely an annoyance while driving on Sunday, they are actively working to prevent access to birth control and to medical care for women. Instead of simply wanting to be left alone to worship as they please, they are attempting to legislate their mythologies in place of science, thereby permanently making this country a third-world nation.

I would *love* it if the only problems that Christians gave me was a problem finding a seat in a restaurant on Sunday morning! If they stopped trying to get the government to indoctrinate their beliefs, I would be more than happy to ignore the minor inconveniences. Until then, I will fight them.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2732 Jul 7, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Please show me the scientific theory that says nothing exploding into everything...
You don't know your faith very well do you?

Stump an atheist ask them what they believe.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2733 Jul 7, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>I don't HAVE to prove anything friend, any more than you can stop demanding I do so. As soon as you realize that it isn't a matter of bravery, you'll realize that I have already figured out you're simply being deliberately belligerent about it- my goodness aren't you a brave brave internet ninja.
That's what a proven coward with no proof of god would say.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2734 Jul 7, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>We've been over this before, sheldon. You aren't the judge and jury for the world and what constitutes truth. As to whether or not Christians lie, you aren't on the jury for THAT one either. Face it, sheldon, you cannot tell people what they should believe in and it has no effect on your life as to WHAT they believe. At worst, you'll be inconvenienced on Sundays by the traffic and if you go out to eat early in the afternoon. I'd enjoy it more if you went into a restaurant on a Sunday afternoon and tried your hate-rhetoric on some of the patrons. THAT would be a show worth watching. Of course, you and your little hate-mongering bobclones wouldn't flex your mighty internet ninja skills in the Real World- only as anonymous tough-guys on forums such as these is your "bravery" apparent. It must be difficult to harbor such seething rage and be unable to manifest it in the real world. I laugh at you.
Simple minded coward with no proof of god.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2735 Jul 7, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know your faith very well do you?
Stump an atheist ask them what they believe.
Cowardly theist troll who can't prove the god he's lying to everyone about.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2736 Jul 7, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it, sheldon. Prove it. Now you profess to tell people what they believe, how childish of you, sheldon. Thankfully you are also using childish rhetoric to prove me right yet again.
You prove I'm right, with each of your hate-filled posts.

As in the one above.

What I find amusing? Is you watch The Big Bang Theory, a TV show wherein 90% of it's characters are atheists. And the ones who are not? Are portrayed as batshit crazy or worse.

I find that ... most amusing.

:D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2737 Jul 7, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>We've been over this before, sheldon. You aren't the judge and jury for the world and what constitutes truth. As to whether or not Christians lie, you aren't on the jury for THAT one either.
I really don't give a ratf8ck **what** lies you wish to cling to in your self-imposed delusions.

Seriously: you can worship The Great HairBrush for all I care.

But.

The **first** time you batshit crazy nutjobs try to **FORCE** your ugly beliefs into the public sphere?

AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION?

Then? We **will** have a confrontation.

As soon as you batshit crazy nutters **stop** trying to compel people with **LAW** to "respect" your batshittery?

Then and only then, you will be left alone-- to dwell in your hate and wallow in your self-pity.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2738 Jul 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If that were the extent that Christians affected my life, I would have no problem with them. But, instead of being the passive force you claim, they are circumventing the democratic processes and putting new, restrictive anti-abortion legislation through in special sessions or in midnight amendments to vital legislation. Instead of being merely an annoyance while driving on Sunday, they are actively working to prevent access to birth control and to medical care for women. Instead of simply wanting to be left alone to worship as they please, they are attempting to legislate their mythologies in place of science, thereby permanently making this country a third-world nation.
I would *love* it if the only problems that Christians gave me was a problem finding a seat in a restaurant on Sunday morning! If they stopped trying to get the government to indoctrinate their beliefs, I would be more than happy to ignore the minor inconveniences. Until then, I will fight them.
Yes!

THIS!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2739 Jul 7, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
Stump an atheist ask them what they believe.
I believe you are batshit crazy.

I'm far from stumped-- you want more?

I also believe you would **burn me at a stake** if you could-- only the **secular** law prevents you from doing that.

You want still more?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2740 Jul 7, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know your faith very well do you?
Stump an atheist ask them what they believe.
No,*you* don't know science very well. You don't know what scientists claim and you don't know why they claim it.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in deities. That's all. It alone does not imply a larger belief system nor a system of ethics.

BUT, most atheists *do* have beliefs and do follow a system of ethics. It's just that these beliefs and and ethics do not follow from atheism alone.

For example, most (not all) atheists believe that the scientific method is a valid method of finding things out about the universe. Also, most (but not all) atheists are humanists. They believe that ethical questions are questions about how humans interact with other humans and their environment, not questions about what some deity desires or plans.

But simple lack of belief in deities does not, in and of itself, imply any other beliefs or any position on ethical matters. It's sort of like saying that the fact that you don't like tomatoes does not imply any other beliefs.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2741 Jul 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Cowardly theist troll who can't prove the god he's lying to everyone about.
Explain the cowardly thing.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2742 Jul 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>I believe you are batshit crazy.

I'm far from stumped-- you want more?

I also believe you would **burn me at a stake** if you could-- only the **secular** law prevents you from doing that.

You want still more?
You are F::::k up. Thanks for sharing.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2743 Jul 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>No,*you* don't know science very well. You don't know what scientists claim and you don't know why they claim it.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in deities. That's all. It alone does not imply a larger belief system nor a system of ethics.

BUT, most atheists *do* have beliefs and do follow a system of ethics. It's just that these beliefs and and ethics do not follow from atheism alone.

For example, most (not all) atheists believe that the scientific method is a valid method of finding things out about the universe. Also, most (but not all) atheists are humanists. They believe that ethical questions are questions about how humans interact with other humans and their environment, not questions about what some deity desires or plans.

But simple lack of belief in deities does not, in and of itself, imply any other beliefs or any position on ethical matters. It's sort of like saying that the fact that you don't like tomatoes does not imply any other beliefs.
"Atheism is simply the lack of belief in deities. That's all. It alone does not imply a larger belief system nor a system of ethics."

Why does it need a spokes person then?

"you* don't know science very well. You don't know what scientists claim and you don't know why they claim it."

This is incorrect of course, I am well aware of your 3 myths.

"most atheists *do* have beliefs and do follow a system of ethics. It's just that these beliefs and and ethics do not follow from atheism alone. "

"Do I believe in string theory?”

Greene response:
“No. I only believe in things that are proven.”

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2744 Jul 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what a proven coward with no proof of god would say.
You really are ignorant as to what constitutes cowardice, aren't you (Don't answer, that's a redundant question)? He has proven Himself to me and I'm satisfied.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2745 Jul 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are batshit crazy.
I'm far from stumped-- you want more?
I also believe you would **burn me at a stake** if you could-- only the **secular** law prevents you from doing that.
You want still more?
LOL- sheldon, your paranoia is showing again.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2746 Jul 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If that were the extent that Christians affected my life, I would have no problem with them. But, instead of being the passive force you claim, they are circumventing the democratic processes and putting new, restrictive anti-abortion legislation through in special sessions or in midnight amendments to vital legislation. Instead of being merely an annoyance while driving on Sunday, they are actively working to prevent access to birth control and to medical care for women. Instead of simply wanting to be left alone to worship as they please, they are attempting to legislate their mythologies in place of science, thereby permanently making this country a third-world nation.
I would *love* it if the only problems that Christians gave me was a problem finding a seat in a restaurant on Sunday morning! If they stopped trying to get the government to indoctrinate their beliefs, I would be more than happy to ignore the minor inconveniences. Until then, I will fight them.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm prochoice. Unlike bob, I don't propose to tell people what to do with their bodies and I don't believe the Life has begun until the third trimester.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2747 Jul 7, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheism is simply the lack of belief in deities. That's all. It alone does not imply a larger belief system nor a system of ethics."
Why does it need a spokes person then?
Need? it doesn't need a spokesperson. But some people are better at stating their positions than others.
"you* don't know science very well. You don't know what scientists claim and you don't know why they claim it."
This is incorrect of course, I am well aware of your 3 myths.
And that is where you are simply wrong. Your 'three myths' are not principles actually believed by most scientists. That is partly because you completely misunderstand what scientists say and partly because you simply lie.
"most atheists *do* have beliefs and do follow a system of ethics. It's just that these beliefs and and ethics do not follow from atheism alone. "
"Do I believe in string theory?”
Greene response:
“No. I only believe in things that are proven.”
Relevance? I by no means see string theory as proven. I see it as *one* of the plausible theories for a quantum theory of gravity. It has to be tested *much* more extensively before it is either proven or disproved

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2748 Jul 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't give a ratf8ck **what** lies you wish to cling to in your self-imposed delusions.
Seriously: you can worship The Great HairBrush for all I care.
But.
The **first** time you batshit crazy nutjobs try to **FORCE** your ugly beliefs into the public sphere?
AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION?
Then? We **will** have a confrontation.
As soon as you batshit crazy nutters **stop** trying to compel people with **LAW** to "respect" your batshittery?
Then and only then, you will be left alone-- to dwell in your hate and wallow in your self-pity.
Oh this post is hilarious, sheldon- you've spent a good part of your life on here condemning people for having faith in God and NOW you tell us that worshiping a hairbrush is acceptable to you. My my such a brave hypocritical lit-tle man.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2749 Jul 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You prove I'm right, with each of your hate-filled posts.
As in the one above.
What I find amusing? Is you watch The Big Bang Theory, a TV show wherein 90% of it's characters are atheists. And the ones who are not? Are portrayed as batshit crazy or worse.
I find that ... most amusing.
:D
Ah, you identify with tv characters...much like your "dinosaur theory"...they aren't real, either. Hope that doesn't hurt too much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min thewordofme 236,688
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 1 hr Patrick n Angela 11
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr karl44 17,894
News 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma (Jul '13) 2 hr thetruth 7,545
News The Consequences of Atheism 2 hr thetruth 1,098
News Asking the right questions of religious believers (Mar '11) 2 hr thetruth 451
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr thetruth 6,120
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 1,870
More from around the web