Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Apr 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Religion Dispatched

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Comments
2,481 - 2,500 of 3,766 Comments Last updated Nov 22, 2013
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And how was the carbon dating discredited? There has been a claim that the sample was taken from a medieval 'repair', but the original researchers deny that as a possibility.
Whether the image is from an artist (by far the most likely case) or a corpse (also possible; but a medieval, one if so) is irrelevant if the age is less than 1000 years.
Once again, without further samples being taken and analyzed, it is impossible to go further.
The date has been discredited and one would expect the original researches to deny they made a mistake. It is now accepted by creditable researchers the original dating was in wrong due to a sampling error.

Which is it: An image of a corpse or a painting? Now remember this is the 21st century with 21st century forensics. Are you telling me forensics cannot tell the difference? Do some research and give me a definitive answer.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The following does not rely on carbon dating to prove the shroud is a fake:" http://www.infidels.org/kiosk/article815.html... ;
Still drinking the Kool Aid.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Still drinking the Kool Aid.
Your Jesus,(were he real) would say to you: "Satan, get thee behind me! I do not know you."

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
The date has been discredited and one would expect the original researches to deny they made a mistake.
By who? You?

You are no scientist. You can't even spell "scientist" without a spell-checker.

So who are these "experts" who discredited the fraudulent shroud?

Hmmm?

You keep blathering on-- but you cannot refute the FACT that the shroud, had it been around a person, would have been on a freak.

A giant-head, super-tall man with a limp and one arm freakishly longer than the other.

And?

According to Jewish Law at that time? HE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN PERMITTED INTO THE TEMPLE-- such "unclean" as a freak of nature were not allowed into Temple.

So your Jewsus could never have been a Rabbi, either...
Thinking

Tisbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Over here, we don't drink the processed krap kalled kool aid.[sic]
kool aid is a believer thing, right?
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as I thought, you just make stuff up and think you can sell it. You better try selling it to your kool aid buddies at the skeptic site.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it is. Indeed it is.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the [sic]? it is called Kool Aid...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Why the [sic]? it is called Kool Aid...
Google "Jonestown massacre"

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
The date has been discredited and one would expect the original researches to deny they made a mistake. It is now accepted by creditable researchers the original dating was in wrong due to a sampling error.
Which is it: An image of a corpse or a painting? Now remember this is the 21st century with 21st century forensics. Are you telling me forensics cannot tell the difference? Do some research and give me a definitive answer.
No it was not.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Google "Jonestown massacre"
yeah, familiar with it and how they died, but why the [sic] in for Kool Aid what i was asking...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
A creditable researcher seems to be one that agrees with your conclusions.
They cannot tell the difference unless they are allowed to take more samples. Given sufficient material to work with, they could probably come to a definite conclusion. But there are obvious reasons why larger samples are problematic. So the issue will be unresolved.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
A creditable researcher seems to be one that agrees with your conclusions.
<quoted text>
They cannot tell the difference unless they are allowed to take more samples. Given sufficient material to work with, they could probably come to a definite conclusion. But there are obvious reasons why larger samples are problematic. So the issue will be unresolved.
There is plenty of data out there to determine if the image is that of a human corpse or a painting. Now do a little research and post the current consensus of forensic scientists.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of data out there to determine if the image is that of a human corpse or a painting. Now do a little research and post the current consensus of forensic scientists.
It is not the image of a corpse, that is the conclusion all data has offered.
LNC Llin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the image of a corpse, that is the conclusion all data has offered.
Carbon dating has been used?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
They only allowed it done once, which produced ages in the period of the Dark Ages, if I remember the period correctly. The people holding onto it won't allow any more tests done to it, which on it's own is telling that it's a scam. However, the inconsistencies with the stories and anthropology have shown it's no more reliable than ... well ... any of the "relics," really they are all idols, ironically
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Google "Reverend Jim Jones" and you will understand the reference.
LNC Llin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
They only allowed it done once, which produced ages in the period of the Dark Ages, if I remember the period correctly. The people holding onto it won't allow any more tests done to it, which on it's own is telling that it's a scam. However, the inconsistencies with the stories and anthropology have shown it's no more reliable than ... well ... any of the "relics," really they are all idols, ironically
Thats is what I remember as well. 12 century?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats is what I remember as well. 12 century?
I believe so, as I said, I'm probably wrong on the specific time it was found to be, I don't need more evidence than their unwillingness to have it tested to know it's a fraud.
Thinking

Tisbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

The [sic] was to cover my use of "krap" and "kalled".
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, familiar with it and how they died, but why the [sic] in for Kool Aid what i was asking...
Thinking

Tisbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Leave Jephtah’s daughter's ashes alone you sicko.
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min Buck Crick 224,120
Our world came from nothing? 41 min Buck Crick 203
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Buck Crick 21,387
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 3 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 5 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 hr religionisillness 834
•••
•••