Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Atheist Islamophobia... Again

There are 3765 comments on the Religion Dispatched story from Apr 9, 2013, titled Atheist Islamophobia... Again. In it, Religion Dispatched reports that:

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion Dispatched.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2421 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's apparent you are not familiar with the research done on the Shroud of Turin and so cannot intelligently discuss it. You are just parroting what skeptics are saying and not looking at the scientific results. I suggest you study all the research done on the Shroud and get back with me.
I realize that there is considerable controversy about all aspects relating to the shroud, from its age, to what made the image (pigments,'protonic energy'), to the historical record (including a report of someone who reports it as a fake).

Because of all of this, there is no scientific consensus, in other words, there is no scientific proof. The carbon date has been criticized as being from a medieval 'repair', but the scientists that took the sample dispute this strongly. The pollen evidence is, at best, weak. The dating of the fabric as a style from the 1st century is inconclusive, at best.

The best scientific evidence for the age of the shroud puts it as a 13th century relic. That is the carbon date. The pollen and fabric analysis are not nearly as accurate or as conclusive as radioactive dating. Further, we know that such images are possible from medieval technology and there was a contemporary report that the shroud was, in fact, a fake.

If this is the best evidence you have for your myths, you will have to do much better to convince anyone who was not already convinced.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

#2422 Jun 19, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that there is considerable controversy about all aspects relating to the shroud, from its age, to what made the image (pigments,'protonic energy'), to the historical record (including a report of someone who reports it as a fake).
Because of all of this, there is no scientific consensus, in other words, there is no scientific proof. The carbon date has been criticized as being from a medieval 'repair', but the scientists that took the sample dispute this strongly. The pollen evidence is, at best, weak. The dating of the fabric as a style from the 1st century is inconclusive, at best.
The best scientific evidence for the age of the shroud puts it as a 13th century relic. That is the carbon date. The pollen and fabric analysis are not nearly as accurate or as conclusive as radioactive dating. Further, we know that such images are possible from medieval technology and there was a contemporary report that the shroud was, in fact, a fake.
If this is the best evidence you have for your myths, you will have to do much better to convince anyone who was not already convinced.
Can you produce one image, other then the Shroud, using this so called 'medieval technology'? Why would anyone go to the trouble of producing this image that could not be appreciated for 500 years when some pig's blood on a sheet would have done just as well to fool the people of the time?

Now is the body image that of a real body? Surely 21st technology can tell us this. Will you try to tell me that modern day forensic science can not tell an image of a real body vs. a fabricated body? Give a link to a recent study that says the body is not a real body but an artist's rendering.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2423 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you believe in impossible odds, DNA synthesis by luck, then the statics showing the Shroud of Turin being the shroud of Jesus should be no problem with you in accepting. The odds of another person undergoing the same torture as depicted in the Gospels are meniscal.
There are many techniques for dating material other than carbon dating. Other techniques date the shroud to the first century. There is no need for me to post them hear since if you were a true objective scientist you would be able to discover this for yourself.
In the documentary that reproduced the face of Jesus from the shroud had no problem with proportions that could not be explained by normal stretching of the cloth.
who cares if it is the burial shroud of jesus, he wasn't a deity in any way, shape or form. the person who was jesus was used as a media soundbyte after his death by people for their political and cult gains...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2424 Jun 19, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
Comprehend it I can, have an interest in it I cannot.
Why do you lie in such an obviously provable way?

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2425 Jun 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Currently there are programs for reducing sentences if an inmate on death row wants to be a guinea pig, sadly many still choose death. Worse, we do have ways of accomplishing painless death, but the states won't approve of it being used on those sentenced to such, there is a little psychotic in everyone.
Yeah. Only a "little" psychotic? Meh.

I still see state-sponsored killing as a bad thing: it corrupt the state, which is always but a step from corruption anyhow.

I always thought that if we are going to engage in state-sponsored murder (death penalty), then we should be as humane and practical as is possible.

Dispense with all those namby-pamby drug cocktails, which may very well be quite painful anyway.

Use what we have already "tested" in the real world: morphine. Give the person a serious overdose of morphine. It does not get any more humane than that-- the criminal will **not** be in any pain, guaranteed... meh.

Or even better? Use all volunteer firing squads-- you can even insist they bring their own ammunition and rifle. You will have no shortage of volunteers, in fact? You'd need to implement a lottery to narrow down the number who show up....

... it'd be cheaper, quite effective and as far as anyone knows? As painless as anything else we've come up with.

Alas, practicality is **not** an attribute in government....

Is it?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2426 Jun 19, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big Bang Theory is actually a good show. Though I don't watch T.V too much, it is one show that I would recommend.
I like it.

I also like that the majority of the characters are all highly educated and atheists too.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2427 Jun 19, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Your funny, you made me laugh. I must applaud you for that. Someone made me laugh earlier when they said that the Shroud was nothing more than a cloth of Piss, but I forgot to thank the person
I'm happy to do so.

My personal belief is that the only **real** reason we are self-aware monkeys?

Is so that we can laugh.

The universe would be an empty place, without laughter.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2428 Jun 19, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh, I'm not versed on a topic that you are so that's your yardstick for intelligence. Like I said, you're living in your own lit-tle cult, pal. "Believe as I do, know what I know"- pretty much cult mentality according to the bobclones, and that is you.
sorry pal, i never ever talk of belief. i provide verifiable facts to gain knowledge from. belief is for you cult people who aren't able to think for yourselves, so you let others do it for you...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2429 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said before: "Little things amuse little minds." Is your life so meaningless that correcting Topix posts is all you have to do? Are you paid to correct Topix posts?

Your post was so incredibly wrong, that I just **had** to laugh at your ineptitude with English.

I find that the majority of Genuine Christians™ also suffer from extremely infective educational experiences.

You are a classic example of that utter lack.

I'd pity you-- but your hate makes you simply despicable.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2430 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
The scientific evidence presented in the Shroud of Turin proves the Gospels and that Christianity is the one true faith.
WHAT "scientific proof"?

<laughing>

In fact? There is none such-- ALL the scientific testing applied to that rag, prove it fraud.

I really pity you, I do. Your utter lack of education must really be a handicap to you, in the modern era.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2431 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts are facts. The scientific community can only say the Shroud of Turin's image is not made by man or of natural origin.
False.

" http://www.infidels.org/kiosk/article815.html... ;

If the shroud were real? Then your beloved Jewsus had a head the size if a large watermelon!

Seriously.

And he'd be freakishly tall, for the time-- a literal basket-ball giant of a man.

This is simple MEASUREMENT of the actual photographic image of the actual shroud.

You would have thought the bible would've mentioned Jesus' giant head and freakishly tall size....

...!!

<laughing>
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

#2432 Jun 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT "scientific proof"?
<laughing>
In fact? There is none such-- ALL the scientific testing applied to that rag, prove it fraud.
I really pity you, I do. Your utter lack of education must really be a handicap to you, in the modern era.
You're back out from under your stone? Make sure you have your tin foil cap on to ward off those nasty Christians.

Here you are arguing like a 10 year old and you have the nerve to talk about the education level of someone else. Does your mother know you're on here? She should monitor your computer use.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

#2433 Jun 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>who cares if it is the burial shroud of jesus, he wasn't a deity in any way, shape or form. the person who was jesus was used as a media soundbyte after his death by people for their political and cult gains...
The miraculous Shroud of Turin was given by God as a witness to you unbelievers of the 21st century.

huntcoyotes

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2434 Jun 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you lie in such an obviously provable way?
Sad.
Tsk tsk bob, you think you are reading my mind- something only God can do. And you're also wrong. Now you're saying I'm lying about what I'm interested in- lol. Poor pitiful bob.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2435 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you believe in impossible odds, DNA synthesis by luck, then the statics showing the Shroud of Turin being the shroud of Jesus should be no problem with you in accepting. The odds of another person undergoing the same torture as depicted in the Gospels are meniscal.
There are many techniques for dating material other than carbon dating. Other techniques date the shroud to the first century. There is no need for me to post them hear since if you were a true objective scientist you would be able to discover this for yourself.
In the documentary that reproduced the face of Jesus from the shroud had no problem with proportions that could not be explained by normal stretching of the cloth.
The odds are not "miniscule" and your complete and total failure to comprehend the scientific method merely makes you a laughing stock.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

#2436 Jun 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The odds are not "miniscule" and your complete and total failure to comprehend the scientific method merely makes you a laughing stock.
Just Ad Hominem no facts.

Try and refute the scientific evidence for the Shroud of Turin being of miraculous origin; 21st century science can not explain it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2437 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Ad Hominem no facts.
Try and refute the scientific evidence for the Shroud of Turin being of miraculous origin; 21st century science can not explain it.
20th century scientists already explained it as nothing more than a fabrication.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

#2438 Jun 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
20th century scientists already explained it as nothing more than a fabrication.
Instead of being a skeptic parrot, do a little research yourself.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2439 Jun 19, 2013
Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of being a skeptic parrot, do a little research yourself.
I did, and it's a fraud that you bought without even checking the facts. I mean, you have been presented the facts numerous times on this thread alone and you still deny them. You are a classic case of delusion.
LNC Llin

United States

#2440 Jun 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>who cares if it is the burial shroud of jesus, he wasn't a deity in any way, shape or form. the person who was jesus was used as a media soundbyte after his death by people for their political and cult gains...
Denial!

Scratch an atheist and out pops an agnostic.

Kennedy then asked, "Why don't you call yourself an agnostic then?"
Dawkins replied, "I do."

http://www.examiner.com/article/richard-dawki... ;
----------

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Science 78,571
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 44 min Eagle 12 - 1,369
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Science 32,430
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web