Death

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#405 Jan 4, 2011
MaceyMace wrote:
Do you find yourselves going round in circles sometimes?
How do you know there is a God?
It says so in the Bible
Why do you believe what the Bible says?
Cause it's the word of God
But how do you know there is a God?
Because it says so in the Bible.
I like it. Magical thinking, circular logic.
proud atheist

Mount Prospect, IL

#406 Jan 4, 2011
MaceyMace wrote:
I am an atheist and just wondered... since we don't know what lies beyond the grave, what are your beliefs? Is it just the end? Are we reincarnated? Do you think there is a "heaven" albeit not Godly?
I don't have any answers because we will never know until we are dead, but I just wondered what other atheists believed?
Thats a good question. I have always wondered that myself.After my parents died I often prayed asking them to give me a sign that there is a here after or another dimension.I got no answer.I know scientist always say the energy cannot die.We are energy so we must go on onto a different relm or dimension.We wont know til we die.I watch them goof balls like john edwards talking to the dead on the other side and all they say is Im fine Im here with gradma and I seen you by my grave.If I was in a heavenly place I would be describing it to a T and be screaming with joy!!! Im afraid that when we die its just over and our atoms and energy mix with other matter and become a different life form.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#407 Jan 4, 2011
proud atheist wrote:
<quoted text> Thats a good question. I have always wondered that myself.After my parents died I often prayed asking them to give me a sign that there is a here after or another dimension.I got no answer.I know scientist always say the energy cannot die.We are energy so we must go on onto a different relm or dimension.We wont know til we die.I watch them goof balls like john edwards talking to the dead on the other side and all they say is Im fine Im here with gradma and I seen you by my grave.If I was in a heavenly place I would be describing it to a T and be screaming with joy!!! Im afraid that when we die its just over and our atoms and energy mix with other matter and become a different life form.
Your last sentence is correct. Our bodies decompose & the result is that energy goes to feed the plants, air, water, etc. Maybe it's not energy as some see it, but all fuel is essentially energy, whether it's in a nice little package like Miracl-Gro, or if it's in the form of compost or manure.
gettagrip

Daytona Beach, FL

#408 Jan 4, 2011
You prove your great great grandfather existed.

Prove that you are breakfast last Tuesday.

Prove that Pontious Pilate was real.
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Now if you could only come up with some proof that Jesus actually was a real erson, you would have a point.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#409 Jan 4, 2011
gettagrip wrote:
You prove your great great grandfather existed.
Prove that you are breakfast last Tuesday.
Prove that Pontious Pilate was real.
<quoted text>
I have photographs of my great great grandfather. I had Honey Bunches of Oats last Tuesday. I couldn't give a rat's behind if Pilate existed.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#410 Jan 4, 2011
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Now if you could only come up with some proof that Jesus actually was a real erson, you would have a point.
What is an "erson"?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#411 Jan 5, 2011
gettagrip wrote:
You prove your great great grandfather existed.
Prove that you are breakfast last Tuesday.
Prove that Pontious Pilate was real.
<quoted text>
"Last Thursdayism" is an excellent philosophical musing. But nothing more.

“Saw 'em April 15th 1977”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#412 Jan 8, 2011
MaceyMace wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe what you want lol I couldn't give a shit.
There's medicine for this problem you know.

“Saw 'em April 15th 1977”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#413 Jan 8, 2011
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>What is an "erson"?
...one of the eople? ;>)

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Murfreesboro, TN

#414 Jan 9, 2011
FundieSmacker wrote:
<quoted text>...one of the eople? ;>)
Do you ever have a problem with opping your e's? Didn't think so...

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#415 Jan 9, 2011
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever have a problem with opping your e's? Didn't think so...
I think that you meant...
"Do you ever have a roblem with oing your e's?"

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#416 Jan 9, 2011
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that you meant...
"Do you ever have a roblem with oing your e's?"
Right-o!

“Pay it forward!”

Since: Oct 09

Harrisburg

#417 Jan 10, 2011
proud atheist wrote:
<quoted text> Thats a good question. I have always wondered that myself.After my parents died I often prayed asking them to give me a sign that there is a here after or another dimension.I got no answer.I know scientist always say the energy cannot die.We are energy so we must go on onto a different relm or dimension.We wont know til we die.I watch them goof balls like john edwards talking to the dead on the other side and all they say is Im fine Im here with gradma and I seen you by my grave.If I was in a heavenly place I would be describing it to a T and be screaming with joy!!! Im afraid that when we die its just over and our atoms and energy mix with other matter and become a different life form.
Why would you be afraid that when we die that's just it? It won't matter once your dead ... if you truly don't believe in a deity, then why even question it?

Just sayin'... um, er, askin'

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#418 Jan 10, 2011
gettagrip wrote:
How many rose from the dead, and healed diseases, and is still alive today?
<quoted text>
If we include your Jesus? Zero.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#419 Jan 10, 2011
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
If we include your Jesus? Zero.
You must of seen the Monty Python skit "Himilian Camel Spotter"?

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#420 Jan 10, 2011
Himalayan? Sorry I'm dyslexic.
Just Steve

Lakewood, OH

#421 Feb 6, 2011
SsixtytwoS wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you be afraid that when we die that's just it? It won't matter once your dead ... if you truly don't believe in a deity, then why even question it?
Just sayin'... um, er, askin'
There isn't a person on this thread, atheist or christian, that isn't afraid of death. I have known many people that feigned indifference to death, but when their time came, they went out kicking and scratching from the simple fear of the unknown. So we can comfort ourselves with our beliefs or lack of beliefs, our eloquent explanations of energy transferral, myriad theories to show us that death is natural and just a part of life, etc., and we still walk away with the icy fear of what actually happens when we draw our last breath. I truly believe no human is immune to this, no matter what is said to the contrary.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#422 Feb 6, 2011
Just Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't a person on this thread, atheist or christian, that isn't afraid of death. I have known many people that feigned indifference to death, but when their time came, they went out kicking and scratching from the simple fear of the unknown. So we can comfort ourselves with our beliefs or lack of beliefs, our eloquent explanations of energy transferral, myriad theories to show us that death is natural and just a part of life, etc., and we still walk away with the icy fear of what actually happens when we draw our last breath. I truly believe no human is immune to this, no matter what is said to the contrary.
Well since you have decided that you know what just absolutely everybody thinks and feels, you must be right. There is just one little problem with your statements, THEY ARE WRONG!
Just Steve

Lakewood, OH

#423 Feb 6, 2011
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Well since you have decided that you know what just absolutely everybody thinks and feels, you must be right. There is just one little problem with your statements, THEY ARE WRONG!
Sorry, I really don't think they are. If you were held at gunpoint with your life on the line, would you simply grin and say something like, " Oh well, I guess my run is over.", and simply accept the fact that your life is about to end? Or would you be pleading and screaming, begging for your life? I know I'd be in the latter category, no matter what my beliefs are, and I think you would too. Unless you are Beeg Strong Man who is afraid of nothing...

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#424 Feb 6, 2011
Just Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I really don't think they are. If you were held at gunpoint with your life on the line, would you simply grin and say something like, " Oh well, I guess my run is over.", and simply accept the fact that your life is about to end? Or would you be pleading and screaming, begging for your life? I know I'd be in the latter category, no matter what my beliefs are, and I think you would too. Unless you are Beeg Strong Man who is afraid of nothing...
No, I am an old woman who has lived a lot of years, I was with my atheist father when he died, I was with my step father when he died, I was with my grandmother when she died, I was with my best friend when she died and with my sister when she died.

There was one of them who fought to live, my sister. She had small children and was not ready to leave them. When I died I was only observing the process, I had no fear at all. I remember no emotions at all and I do have a very vibrant memory of all but maybe three to five minutes and that was after I was pronounced dead.

When the medical personnel brought me back, there still was no emotion. I simply observed what was happening to me.

I have been held at knife point and it just pissed me off, both of my would be rapists and murderers found out, to their regret that not all women accept being threatened.

I am a retired firefighter and first responder, I have seen people die and too many do not fight it. People die way too quickly and way too easily. It is true that some are terrified and I believe that the situation is as much a factor, as is the fear of death.

And now to your silly question, I face life with the attitude that I will die just once and it probably won't be today, so fear does not rule me. I walk into things that most people won't. I will not wuss out on the only life I get.

You want to scare me .... threaten my child's life, then hope to hell I don't come out it alive because I am going to eliminate the problem permanently.

You don't speak for me and there are a billion other people whom you cannot speak for. Until they are faced with death no one knows what they will do, and no one knows what someone else will do.

I have seen true heroics from the most unlikely people and I have seen the biggest chickens come from those who are known tough guys. I have yet to see a single human alive who could say what another would do when faced with death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proof of God for the Atheist 27 min Shizle 111
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 31 min Eagle 12 12,622
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 53 min -Stray Dog 247,365
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 58 min superwilly 20
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 6 hr -Stray Dog 47,794
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 8 hr par five 6
More from around the web