Britain's atheist church is ready to expand globally

Mar 8, 2013 Full story: www.rawstory.com 36

Echoing with joyful song and with a congregation bent on leading better lives, this London church is like any other - except there's no mention of God.

Britain’s atheist church is barely three months old but it already has more “worshippers” than can fit into its services, while more than 200 non-believers worldwide have contacted organisers to ask how they can set up their own branch. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#1 Mar 8, 2013
A show of hands, please: how many would want one of these in your community?
Indogitrust

Duluth, GA

#2 Mar 9, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
I'd rather just join a local atheist meet up group. Calling it a church makes me very uncomfortable.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#3 Mar 9, 2013
Norway has a similar thing going.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#4 Mar 9, 2013
There's lots of atheist groups. Just google humanism, skeptics, Brights, freethinkers, rationalists, etc. The only difference about this idea is that they use (what seem today to be) implicitly religious terms, like Sunday assembly and congregation.

I'd go to one as they sound fun. Most humanistic meetings have speakers on science (like Prof Dawkins) or philosophy (e.g. A C Grayling). These seem to be an attempt to make such meetings more fun.

Indogitrust's comment is the most common on this idea. We're all wary of anything like authoritarian structures and institutions; and dogma. Religion has taught us to be so. It is important not to pre-judge and mistake parallels and similarities for congruities. There's no such thing as a sacrilege against humanism or atheism!:-)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5 Mar 9, 2013
Another point is 'community'. Brits tend to mistake insularity for privacy. Church's offer a useful sense of community. I attend the church hall for social reasons. We (in the UK) also need to find a use for all the disused churches. They could provide a center for community as they always have if only the religious would drop god(s) and religion! Without religion, church congregations could be genuinely say "welcome to all".

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#6 Mar 11, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
i would walk away from them

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#7 Mar 11, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
i would walk away from them
Same here.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#8 Mar 11, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
I couldn't care less, but I understand that there are people who need to gather, fellowship and worship, under any guise. If I were a joiner, maybe ..... Nah, not likely.
Anonymous

Logan, OH

#9 Mar 11, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Another point is 'community'. Brits tend to mistake insularity for privacy. Church's offer a useful sense of community. I attend the church hall for social reasons. We (in the UK) also need to find a use for all the disused churches. They could provide a center for community as they always have if only the religious would drop god(s) and religion! Without religion, church congregations could be genuinely say "welcome to all".
Community. Good. Imagine everyone take off their silly god clothes, make Mother Earth News the bible (for example), and be a community, for good of the earth. Branch off into more productive groups of similiar interests and contribute your skills. And meet if you wish to improve life and party. I know lots of empty churches.
+Topix gives me London news as we are in London, US+ key word eh? excuse my American accent.
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#10 Mar 11, 2013
Bornon40 wrote:
<quoted text>Community. Good. Imagine everyone take off their silly god clothes, make Mother Earth News the bible (for example), and be a community, for good of the earth.
Gaia worship anyone?

“Not My Fault”

Since: Jun 09

Outside of Reality

#11 Mar 11, 2013
From London, USA. (get Topix UK London in inbox by coincidence) I know lots of empty churches. All I can say is imagine.

“Not My Fault”

Outside of Reality

#12 Mar 11, 2013
hartford3 wrote:
From London, USA.(get Topix UK London in inbox by coincidence) I know lots of empty churches. All I can say is imagine.
sorry mates my alter got posted too.....oh well. peace on earth not Mars.
Equality---

Edinburgh, UK

#13 Mar 11, 2013
hartford3 wrote:
From London, USA.(get Topix UK London in inbox by coincidence) I know lots of empty churches. All I can say is imagine.
Just another form of religion and preaching!!! Why is it, for the powerful human need to gather in one place, is it that we can feel more secure and less lonely maybe?
Also it will be a place were ultimately many humans egos will clash as per usual, which will either destroy this gathering of non-beleivers, or it will strengtened them. However as a secular beleiver, I cannot see without GODs hand that this Atheist church thingy, will last for very long.
Its just another cool fad, until they get p-ssed off because off the non-forseeable and inevniable clash of human egos, or just plain boredom.!!!

If you want to be social, visit a relative, neighbour, friend, or go to the a pub, or restaurant, football match, cinema, etc

Since: Mar 13

UK

#14 Mar 11, 2013
How can you have an athiest church?

“Not My Fault”

Outside of Reality

#15 Mar 11, 2013
Equality--- wrote:
<quoted text>Just another form of religion and preaching!!! Why is it, for the powerful human need to gather in one place, is it that we can feel more secure and less lonely maybe?
Also it will be a place were ultimately many humans egos will clash as per usual, which will either destroy this gathering of non-beleivers, or it will strengtened them. However as a secular beleiver, I cannot see without GODs hand that this Atheist church thingy, will last for very long.
Its just another cool fad, until they get p-ssed off because off the non-forseeable and inevniable clash of human egos, or just plain boredom.!!!
If you want to be social, visit a relative, neighbour, friend, or go to the a pub, or restaurant, football match, cinema, etc
On the other hand I always wanted to be a hermit with my family on our land in peace. When I look to the sky, see sky. Those gods still trying to see who can run the earth. god should have never sent them to the seven corners. he fracked up. My god is a carrot.

“Not My Fault”

Outside of Reality

#16 Mar 11, 2013
WTF....Any way empty church,,good furnace..we'll start a US branch. Since being a hermit is out of the question. Americans?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
I'm sure the organisers of the meetings see the irony.

Critical thinking is good but empathetic listening is important too.
Cause

Columbus, OH

#18 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
Doesn't that already exist? Called scientology? Lol.

Since: Mar 13

UK

#19 Mar 11, 2013
Cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't that already exist? Called scientology? Lol.
oh yeah lol
Irish2

Dublin, Ireland

#20 Mar 11, 2013
So much for them saying they weren't a religion lol

Which lunatic leaders were atheists, i cant count so many.And all murderous mad people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 16 min polymath257 84
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 51 min Eagle 12 233,055
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr serfs up 2,606
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr J RULES 23,239
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr thetruth 165
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 4 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Mikko 1,452
More from around the web