Are More Saudi Arabians Wandering Awa...

Are More Saudi Arabians Wandering Away From Islam?

There are 2 comments on the Truthdig story from Jun 12, 2014, titled Are More Saudi Arabians Wandering Away From Islam?. In it, Truthdig reports that:

"The appearance of atheists, a growing wariness of religious controls on society, as well as the continuing lure of jihad and ultraconservatism signal a breakdown in the conformity and consensus that has marked the Saudi religious field in the recent past," Caryle Murphy writes at GlobalPost.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#1 Jun 22, 2014
I hope that more Arabs become atheists.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2 Jun 23, 2014
Secularism is the only defence of human rights and good governance. Middle-East populations are even more religion-affliced than Western populations.

Riddance of religion isn’t the whole answer, helpful as that always is. Iraq and Syria illustrate the lack of understanding of the Western word compromise. Apparently, many languages in the Middle-East such as Arabic lack a word with the precise, equivalent meaning. They use words that aren’t quite congruent and carry connotations of submission or giving-in.‘Competition’ is another problem. One linguist described the situation of westerners conceptualising two runners in a race, while Middle East populations are thinking more in terms of wrestlers in a ring.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 1 hr old_moose 163
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 80,071
what science will NEVER be able to prove 9 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sep 20 The pope 258,485
More from around the web