Blackout Secular Rally: Atheism Makes...

Blackout Secular Rally: Atheism Makes Minority Inroads

There are 8 comments on the Psychology Today story from Jul 17, 2013, titled Blackout Secular Rally: Atheism Makes Minority Inroads. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

In yet another sign of how the American secular demographic is emerging - in terms of both raw numbers and organizational commitment - the first-ever rally featuring nonbelievers of color is scheduled for later this month in New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#1 Jul 17, 2013
Why would atheists want any segregation on racial, colour or ethnic lines? And the very idea seems almost contrary to the definition of humanism...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humanism
This struck me as a peculiarly USAmerican idea that would have no appeal in, for example, the UK.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2 Jul 17, 2013
There is this London (Eng) group..
http://www.meetup.com/London-Black-Atheists/m...
I note that membership is open to all, regardless of race and skin-colour. Their aim is to "break the taboo of atheism in black communities.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#3 Jul 18, 2013
EdSed wrote:
There is this London (Eng) group..
http://www.meetup.com/London-Black-Atheists/m...
I note that membership is open to all, regardless of race and skin-colour. Their aim is to "break the taboo of atheism in black communities.
Nice!

“I support Cystic Fibrosis.”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#4 Jul 18, 2013
I am agnostic do I count?

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#5 Jul 18, 2013
I see triplets wrote:
I am agnostic do I count?
Yes if you think that one cannot know if a god or gods exists due to ether lack of evidence or thinking that the power to know is beyond us, then you cannot believe in a god or gods which makes you a weak atheist one who disbelieves in god(s). This is not to be confused with the less popular form of atheism strong atheism one who believes in god(s) non-existence (which is what I am).
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#6 Jul 18, 2013
I see triplets wrote:
I am agnostic do I count?
Count as a religionist or atheist?

First, are you religious?..
If you fly into a rage because someone denounces god, you're a Christian
If you fly into a building because someone blasphemes, you're a Muslim
And if you're selling US flags to people who burn them, you're a Jew.
If don't take religion seriously forget atheism and agnosticism, you're normal.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#7 Jul 19, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Why would atheists want any segregation on racial, colour or ethnic lines? And the very idea seems almost contrary to the definition of humanism...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humanism
This struck me as a peculiarly USAmerican idea that would have no appeal in, for example, the UK.
You obviously missed the point, or are avoiding it.

Atheism is seen too much as a "white man's activity", as if all atheists were WAS - white anglo-saxons, just not protestant. There are *plenty* of women and non-white atheists, but they are not being heard either because they are drowned out, ignored, shouted down, afraid to speak, or for other reasons. Atheists in ALL communities need to see there are other atheists like themselves, not just white men.

White atheists need to get out of the way of such an event and not tell non-white and non-male people what to do or how to feel. I'm sure support and encouragement would be welcome, just not condescension.

"Segregation"? What the fuck does that have to do with it, and how did that idea get in your head?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#8 Jul 19, 2013
P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously missed the point, or are avoiding it.
Atheism is seen too much as a "white man's activity", as if all atheists were WAS - white anglo-saxons, just not protestant. There are *plenty* of women and non-white atheists, but they are not being heard either because they are drowned out, ignored, shouted down, afraid to speak, or for other reasons. Atheists in ALL communities need to see there are other atheists like themselves, not just white men.
White atheists need to get out of the way of such an event and not tell non-white and non-male people what to do or how to feel. I'm sure support and encouragement would be welcome, just not condescension.
I got all that. What did I say that was 'condescending'?
P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
"Segregation"? What the fuck does that have to do with it, and how did that idea get in your head?
From the article. E.g.
"the first-ever rally featuring nonbelievers of color is scheduled for later this month in New York".
And your post suggests that the rally is intended to be by black people only, "White atheists need to get out of the way of such an event". Hardly a constructive or helpful attitude, I would have thought.

The obscenity and tone of your comments suggest to me that you feel antagonistic? I wasn't even critical of the march particularly. I just think that the obvious way to counter racial prejudices is to avoid racial divisions - like secular marches for for people of one colour only. That seems to me a sort of unconscious segregation. I think reason or secular rallies should be as inclusive as possible and the last thing anyone should want is to hold them along racial lines. That seems to me to be contrary to the principles of humanism and perhaps doing more harm than good. What's the sense of getting rid of religious divides only while highlighting racial ones?

It's not that I lack understanding of your point of view, or those of the marchers. I'm trying to illustrate a different one. I think segregation is almost never helpful, whether voluntary or enforced; whether along racial, colour, ethnic, national, or (in the case of a reason rally) political lines. What next? A women's rally? A hispanic person's rally?(Where to stop - a vegetarian atheists rally?:-) Such a carry-on might do more harm than good.

All I'm saying is it seems less constructive than an inclusive rally from where I stand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min JustASkeptic 247,385
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr JustASkeptic 12,637
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 4 hr thetruth 21
Proof of God for the Atheist 4 hr thetruth 116
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 14 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 15 hr -Stray Dog 47,794
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 18 hr par five 6
More from around the web