As Protestants decline, those with no religion gain

Oct 9, 2012 Full story: m.usatoday.com 85

In the 1960s, two in three Americans called themselves Protestant. Now the Protestant group -- both evangelical and mainline -- has slid below the statistical waters, down to 48%, from 53% in 2007 Where did they go? Nowhere, actually.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1 Oct 9, 2012
Another Pew Research study finds religion in decline!
KittenKuntliqer

Brisbane, Australia

#2 Oct 9, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Another Poo Research study finds religion in decline!
BS.....so Islam is declining?
Go spout your crap at the local mosque, looking forward to spitting on your grave...and then on your parents.
Tird
The Truth

Addison, IL

#3 Oct 9, 2012
KittenKuntliqer wrote:
<quoted text>BS.....so Islam is declining?
Go spout your crap at the local mosque, looking forward to spitting on your grave...and then on your parents.
Tird
It's spelled *turn, actually.

Religion in general is declining, I'm sorry fox hasn't covered that, but they won't because than people won't think Obama being a Muslim is scary.
Silly Fox News people

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#4 Oct 9, 2012
Another example of Christianity unmasked. It is interesting to see the hate that Christianity teaches when Christians can hide behind an avatar.
The Truth

Addison, IL

#5 Oct 9, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Another example of Christianity unmasked. It is interesting to see the hate that Christianity teaches when Christians can hide behind an avatar.
Christianity is nothing but hate.
Salem, crusades, civil rights, women's rights, gay rights?!?!
Do we need to continue on how many people they oppress.

Leviticus states that rape is ok, but eating pork will send you to he'll!

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#6 Oct 9, 2012
"For decades, if not centuries, America's top religious brand has been "Protestant." No more.

In the 1960s, two in three Americans called themselves Protestant. Now the Protestant group -- both evangelical and mainline -- has slid below the statistical waters, down to 48%, from 53% in 2007."

This means the Protestants are no longer a majority.
redneck

Myrtle Creek, OR

#7 Oct 9, 2012
KittenKuntliqer wrote:
<quoted text>
Tird
I see your profoud christianity spamming up all the atheist forums. Are you lonley?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#8 Oct 10, 2012
Great news!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9 Oct 10, 2012
KittenKuntliqer wrote:
<quoted text>
Tird
Ahhh, christian love comes shining through!!
Chuckles

Wylie, TX

#10 Oct 10, 2012
KittenKuntliqer wrote:
<quoted text>
Tird
I've asked you to STOP using the moniker "Kuntliqer" as it is reserved for the Virgin Mary. Please explain to everyone how Jesus was conceived...the mechanics of God's sticky insemination project. I imagine that the Hebrew deity treated Mary to a freaky artificial insemination in the manner of livestock breeding here in Texas...A heifer in heat, an insemination tube, a grappling hook, some Gummy Bears, chipmunks, clogs, Reynold's Wrap and a bottle of Creme de Menthe? The Bible leaves out many interesting details.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#13 Oct 13, 2012
KittenKuntliqer wrote:
<quoted text>
Tird
Look, no matter how hard you try, I trounced your ignorance on IRC already, don't make me do it here too, it's becoming redundant.
The Truth

Lexington, KY

#15 Oct 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Look, no matter how hard you try, I trounced your ignorance on IRC already, don't make me do it here too, it's becoming redundant.
Do it!
Lol

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#17 Oct 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont know who youre 'trouncing' on IRC, it aint me.
I think some /vigger buck is going to end up picking you up from it for sex.....or /vigger sow
English muthaf-er! Do you speak it?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#19 Oct 15, 2012
yon wrote:
Protestants BUILT the USA.
Catholics, Mormons and Masons were allowed to add their paganism practices.
But now that the Protestant Churches are for the most part dead, as they are in Europe, we are left with heathen(Obama = Islam, atheists and others too disgusting to mention that dominate the political left), vs paganism on the right in the person of corporate raider (pagan - church Bishop) Romney.
How much worse can it get?
Voting is not going to solve the problem.
You forgot the Amish and the Mennonites.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20 Oct 15, 2012
yon wrote:
But now that the Protestant Churches are for the most part dead, as they are in Europe, we are left with heathen(Obama = Islam, atheists and others too disgusting to mention that dominate the political left), vs paganism on the right in the person of corporate raider (pagan - church Bishop) Romney.
People built the USA. Religious dogmatism made is impossible to be openly atheist in the past. Even in the 1960s, when a John Lennon joked that the Beetles were 'bigger than Jesus' he felt compelled to backtrack and prevaricate regarding his atheism.

It is the secularism of the USA that has contributed to its success, not any religion.

I think people like Yon do the USA significant harm when they muddle Protestantism, Christianity or religionism in general into some wider and silly political suedo-ideology.

How much worse can it get? Worse than having a lower proportion of people under-nourished than in the 1970s?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation#Starv...
Share of undernourished people in the developing world:
1970 37%, 1980 28%, 1990 20%, 2005 16%, 2007 17%, 2009 16%

Worse than having the Internet or living in a period of relative peace, where warfare is no longer endemic in most of the world? It can ALWAYS get worse. The trick is making life even better and to do that we must end the silly religious superstitions and sectarianism that divide humanity and blight our world.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#22 Oct 15, 2012
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Jews beginning with Christopher Columbus.
Then the Quakers, we can't forget them.
Bro Samuel

United States

#24 Dec 22, 2012
This site is Baptist; not Protestant.

I've never seen such an ignorant bunch as that have posted above.

What is it: who can scream the loudest and cuss the most..... Know nothing of religion nor the star of Lucifer.

The Luciferterians have vowed to destroy the Atheists. Not the Christians!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#25 Dec 22, 2012
yon wrote:
That was then - this is now.

Adaption or extinction

Your choice.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#26 Dec 23, 2012
yon wrote:
I guess I should have said the Protestant Ethic
That's an oxymoron.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#27 Dec 23, 2012
Bro Samuel wrote:
This site is Baptist; not Protestant.
I've never seen such an ignorant bunch as that have posted above.
What is it: who can scream the loudest and cuss the most..... Know nothing of religion nor the star of Lucifer.
The Luciferterians have vowed to destroy the Atheists. Not the Christians!
1. Baptist is a division of Protestantism.

2. It's spelled "Luciferians."

3. Lucifer is literally "morning star" or Venus (Isaiah 14:12) and was only later interpreted to infer that this was also Satan, the Devil, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Dave Nelson 230,005
Islam for peace, or violence? 3 hr Uncle Sam 32
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Uncle Sam 1,036
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr Chiclets 22,987
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 22 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 22 hr Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE