Amused

Lowell, MA

#24 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Well matter can't be infinite, especially since it's not all powerful. God can be infinite(rather eternal).
Do you have any evidence to support your assertion that mass (not matter - the two concepts are related but not identical) can't be infinite? The only evidence we have so far is the law of conservation of mass, which rather does suggest the infinite existence of mass. At all times that mass has been observed, it has remained constant, in that no new mass appears to have appeared. The creation of mass never having been observed, there is no evidence that it is possible to create mass. If mass exists, as it does, and, so far as we know, it cannot be created, then it must necessarily have always existed.

Your god can be infinite or eternal, or anything else you care to define him/her/it as being. Since it is an imaginary being, it may possess any characteristics which you are capable of imagining.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#25 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
I just ask 1 simple question, I've ask this question frequently and atheists avoid given a full understandable answer. So I ask again, how did the entire Universe( which is infinity) come from NOTHING!
We do not know if that is what happened. Even if it is what happened, we don't know the mechanism.

But, having said that, here are some possibilities:

1.'Nothing' is unstable and decays into a universe.

2. The universe is a quantum fluctuation.

3. What we see as the universe is part of a larger whole that has always existed.

4. Time itself may be finite into the past, so any discussion of a 'cause' is meaningless.

One problem is that your question assumes that there must be a cause for the universe and that this cause must have existed prior to the universe. If the universe has always existed in some form, then that assumption is false. If time only goes finitely far into the past, the assumption is false. If causality doesn't apply, the assumption is false. if the universe did not have a single cause, your assumption is false.

And all of this is irrelevant to being an atheist, which simply means denying the existence of deities.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#26 Oct 17, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>You made the "universe from nothing" claim. Where did you get that from? Or are you just a typical creationist lying for your 'god'? <rhetorical question... the answer is obvious>
Okay, I never knew asking a question may make me a typical creationist lying for my God.

How about this, just answer a question or are you just another typical atheist trying to avoid my question.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#27 Oct 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not know if that is what happened. Even if it is what happened, we don't know the mechanism.
3. What we see as the universe is part of a larger whole that has always existed.
4. Time itself may be finite into the past, so any discussion of a 'cause' is meaningless.
One problem is that your question assumes that there must be a cause for the universe and that this cause must have existed prior to the universe. If the universe has always existed in some form, then that assumption is false. If time only goes finitely far into the past, the assumption is false. If causality doesn't apply, the assumption is false. if the universe did not have a single cause, your assumption is false.
And all of this is irrelevant to being an atheist, which simply means denying the existence of deities.
Man, you made no logical sense whatsoever.
Thinking

UK

#28 Oct 17, 2013
What do you mean?
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
It is possible that he did it, but the important thing is, you just admitted that atheism is wrong, thank you very much.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#29 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I never knew asking a question may make me a typical creationist lying for my God.
How about this, just answer a question or are you just another typical atheist trying to avoid my question.
I've never claimed the "universe came from nothing" so you question is pointless.

Do I personally know how the universe came about? No.

Do I think assigning things I don't know about to a 'god' in any way useful? No.

Question for you:

how does you saying "god-did-it" explain anything?
Thinking

UK

#30 Oct 17, 2013
Saying "god-did-it" only explains the paucity of ambition of the blind follower.
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I've never claimed the "universe came from nothing" so you question is pointless.
Do I think assigning things I don't know about to a 'god' in any way useful? No.
Question for you:
Amused

Lowell, MA

#31 Oct 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What do you mean?
<quoted text>
He means he's been playing pigeon chess again. The pieces are all scattered about in front of you, he's uttered complete, babbling nonsense in the style of his cult, therefore, he won.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#32 Oct 17, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I've never claimed the "universe came from nothing" so you question is pointless.
Question for you:
Thanks for admitting that.

Finally someone gives answer.

For you're question now, everything is explained in the bible.
Ocean56

AOL

#33 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
See what I mean, look at all your comments, you're trying to avoid the question in any which way you can.
Since it was an incredibly STUPID question you asked to begin with, it isn't worth my time to bother answering.

As far as I'M concerned, your "god" is IMAGINARY. Why that is such an issue for you is beyond me. Or maybe you're just pissed that atheists in progressive countries like the U.S. can simply reject the toxic baggage of gods, religions and churches with no civil or criminal penalties. Either way, whatever bug you have about atheism or atheists is YOUR problem, not ours.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

#34 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
I just ask 1 simple question, I've ask this question frequently and atheists avoid given a full understandable answer. So I ask again, how did the entire Universe( which is infinity) come from NOTHING!
Listen to an expert, Lawrence Krauss. It's not easy to explain in a quick response on topix.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#35 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me which passage in the bible deals with the workings of an internal combustion engine. For that matter... show me something... just one thing... original to and contained ONLY within the pages of your bible that is a direct and observable benefit to all of mankind.

I'll wait..... not going to hold my breath though

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#36 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen up you dumb arrogant piece of sh*t. Nobody is converting to your fraudulent cult here. You need to go back to your cult leaders and ask them for proof of god instead of coming in this forum and sharing your ignorant creationist opinions with smart people.

Your cult has been disproved, there's no such thing as god. People are here trying to move the discussion forward.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#37 Oct 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know which is more impressive, your command of this material, or your ability to communicate it so clearly. Even us liberal arts majors feel like we understand something of physics when you explain it.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#38 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's the chapter and verse or verses that explains solar power?

Curing cancer?

Ending war?

Achieving universal literacy?
Amused

Lowell, MA

#39 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know logic if it crawled up your leg and gnawed off your left testicle.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#40 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Details? Make *specific* criticisms and perhaps I can answer them.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#41 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for admitting that.

So you admit that you never actually wanted a question answered, you just wanted someone to say that we don't specifically know exactly how the universe began? You have read that more than a thousand times probably...the problem that I have is that you don't "know" either, but you aren't willing to admit that. Hence, where part of the arguing begins.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#42 Oct 17, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's the chapter and verse or verses that explains solar power?
Curing cancer?
Ending war?
Achieving universal literacy?
Hmmm..... War is Humanity's fault since they start it, not God

Cancer is allowed by God, not sent by God.

Achieving universal literacy, means that man must get off their lazy ass and get an education

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#43 Oct 17, 2013
Or some people can actually be willing to help universal literacy like the Few there are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min New Age Spiritual... 234,675
why? 7 min Uncle Sam 53
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 min Pahu 1,499
.com | Challenging Atheism - Rebuttal 35 min geezerjock 1
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 41 min susanblange 1,256
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 48 min dirtclod 14,696
Christianity Created Hitler 2 hr Uncle Sam 218
More from around the web