Goodness, I am an atheist

Goodness, I am an atheist

There are 1 comment on the The Gleaner story from Jul 10, 2012, titled Goodness, I am an atheist. In it, The Gleaner reports that:

After reading Father Richard Ho Lung's vitriolic - and misguided - indictment of atheism for the alleged crime of eroding the moral foundation of humanity , several thoughts came to mind.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gleaner.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#1 Jul 10, 2012
a rather good commentary, on the whole. obviously atheism has such a limited meaning - being without belief in a god - that nothing else is implied. there are often ethical precepts closely attached to theologies asserting the existence of a particular God or gods. those are the ones that should be more closely examined as to whether they sanction, lead to, or permit a lesser ethical belief or action.

athiests can be kind persons, or not - and it is not a part of their atheism, or because of their atheism. Christians can be kind persons, or not - and some may be kind (or not) because of some aspect of their religious belief, and some may be kind (or not) for other reasons. child rearing practices probably have a lot to do with it. loved children probably are nicer in most cases, unless they are spoiled somehow and feel selfish and entitled. and unloved children should be pitied, and the lack of love remedied, if possible, as part of an attempt to make them nicer people. there is even a saying that the person who needs love most is one who "deserves it" least. love is a kind of cure, if it is not permissive, or overbearing, or a sort of trap to get obedience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 23 min Into The Night 61,531
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Subduction Zone 2,709
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Aura Mytha 28,325
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Mar 24 IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web