Hemant Mehta on rising atheism among millenials: 'It's...

Aug 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Raw Story

"I think there's this assumption among a lot of Christian leaders that, you know, if we bring in some hipper worship bands and a coffee shop in the fellowship hall and maybe a pastor who wears skinny jeans young adults will come flocking back to the church," she said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Interesting in that both the atheist commentator and the evangelical commentator agree that the reasons christianity does not attract members of the millenial generation are matters of substance, not matters of style.

This means it is likely a permanent exodus, as opposed to a transient one. The churches should not expect that this is just a phase that those young folks will grow out of, or something that can be fixed with a hipper liturgy. It is a lot harder to fix the substance than it is to change the packaging. This goes to the basic beliefs, which aren't selling to more sophisticated consumers. The young demographic of people raised on science just isn't buying a product that is basically superstition.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
Interesting in that both the atheist commentator and the evangelical commentator agree that the reasons christianity does not attract members of the millenial generation are matters of substance, not matters of style.

This means it is likely a permanent exodus, as opposed to a transient one. The churches should not expect that this is just a phase that those young folks will grow out of, or something that can be fixed with a hipper liturgy. It is a lot harder to fix the substance than it is to change the packaging. This goes to the basic beliefs, which aren't selling to more sophisticated consumers. The young demographic of people raised on science just isn't buying a product that is basically superstition.
Yes- I'd read about that debate/discussion elsewhere (than Topix).

It was interesting.

I agree-- the substance of religion is no longer appealing to the up-and-coming generation.

If history is any guide? It will mean that religion will evolve-- again-- to fit the new demographic.

I suspect we will see a decline in fundamentalism/literalism, and a rise of very selective "salad bar" varieties.

I've seen elsewhere, that among the millenials, the whole "gay thing" just isn't a big deal either way-- they just don't care, nor do they see a problem with LGBT.

So the new, trimmed down religions that will likely emerge from this, will also likely be more tolerant than previous generations.

Which is good.

It will also likely be much more accepting of science, being steeped in science from the start (as you point out).

Again? That is excellent-- most mainstream religions, even now, do not have issue with science at all.

As the vocal minority of religious luddites loose their grip on things? We should expect to see reduced violence too-- among other things.

And that's another thing: the millenials also seem quite tolerant of abortion rights, women's rights, etc.

A new age, and it'll be a lot less ugly.
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes- I'd read about that debate/discussion elsewhere (than Topix).
It was interesting.
I agree-- the substance of religion is no longer appealing to the up-and-coming generation.
If history is any guide? It will mean that religion will evolve-- again-- to fit the new demographic.
I suspect we will see a decline in fundamentalism/literalism, and a rise of very selective "salad bar" varieties.
It will be interesting to see that experiment. At least in the US, the trend has been for fundamentalist churches to be growing, and the more tolerant denominations to be shrinking. I'm not sure if the will is there to reverse the trend. Fundamentalists seem to split themselves into ever smaller denominations over issues of doctrinal purity. I just don't see those churches having the appetite for change.

It will also be interesting to see how the evolved religion manages to mix the seemingly incompatible elements of faith and science. At least as far back as Martin Luther, religious leaders have acknowledged faith and reason as incompatible. Unless, of course, they go totally sci-fi for their mythology, as L. Ron Hubbard did. Of course, that's why Scientology recruits aren't told about Thetans, Xemu, and the attendant whackiness until they have been in the religion, and spent thousands of dollars on 'training' to get them deeply invested, emotionally and financially, before the church springs those 'secret teachings'on them.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be interesting to see that experiment. At least in the US, the trend has been for fundamentalist churches to be growing, and the more tolerant denominations to be shrinking. I'm not sure if the will is there to reverse the trend. Fundamentalists seem to split themselves into ever smaller denominations over issues of doctrinal purity. I just don't see those churches having the appetite for change.

It will also be interesting to see how the evolved religion manages to mix the seemingly incompatible elements of faith and science. At least as far back as Martin Luther, religious leaders have acknowledged faith and reason as incompatible. Unless, of course, they go totally sci-fi for their mythology, as L. Ron Hubbard did. Of course, that's why Scientology recruits aren't told about Thetans, Xemu, and the attendant whackiness until they have been in the religion, and spent thousands of dollars on 'training' to get them deeply invested, emotionally and financially, before the church springs those 'secret teachings'on them.
As a small disparate collection of individual cults?

They will have little or no impact, apart from some collective voting.

They certainly won't have a national voice anywhere.

As they hemorrhage membership, they will shrink.
LCNlin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Ten times more people feel the moon landing was faked than are atheists, a marginal religion

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

LCNlin wrote:
Ten times more people feel the moon landing was faked than are atheists, a marginal religion
The moon landings happened. So all this proves is that there is stupidity in numbers.

Thanks for proving atheists point!!!

Could you possibly be more stupid? You keep breaking new ground each and every day in this area.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Lets here your next Stupidism Lincoln. How will you beat that last one?

I mean, you've:

1. Tried to insult atheism by calling it a cult (which is exactly what creationism is)

2. Tried to claim that lots of people didnt believe in the moon landings. Which proves that it doesn't matter how popular your cult is, it can and still is full of sh*t until proven not to be.

Keep going lincoln, you make more atheists than any atheists here with your relentless creationist mental illness.
Jimmy C

Baden, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Who says faith and science can't coexist?

It depends on the faith...
LCNlin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Jimmy C wrote:
Obviously but some wish to control all thought!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Jimmy C wrote:
Sure! It does.

Faith in chairs, for example, is the faith that a chair will not collapse on you, when you sit-- you don't **test** the chair every time you sit, so it's faith.

But it's based on actual, real-world experience-- and **can** be tested for usefulness.

Contrast this with faith in gods-- you are not only **not** able to test this faith? You are actively discouraged from doing so!

This is because, any tests show the faith is misplaced-- they **always** fail.

Proof?

All the people who have **faith** and also have missing arms, legs, or are blind, etc.
LCNlin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

The atheist religion does not take kindly to the disrespect they show to other religions?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously but some wish to control all thought!
You continue to make flippant comments, when you've failed to the prove the god your wortheless creationist cult sent you here to lie about.

You failed your task, you did not convert any atheists and make your cult look more and more idiotic as each day passes.

Well done on achieving this spectacular failure to promote your lying hate-cult.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

LCNlin wrote:
The atheist religion does not take kindly to the disrespect they show to other religions?
Lying about atheists shows everyone that you have no morals, just like your fellow creationist failures.
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Jimmy C wrote:
Well, among other people, Martin Luther, the founder of Protestantism. He famously said "Reason is the enemy of faith". Google Martin Luther quotes reason and you will see that this is no isolated, cherry-picked quote, but a fair representation of his thoughts.
Atheism Rising

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
As a small disparate collection of individual cults?
They will have little or no impact, apart from some collective voting.
They certainly won't have a national voice anywhere.
As they hemorrhage membership, they will shrink.
Hopefully there will be less wars and violence because of theism.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Atheism Rising wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone who never reads the news.
LCNLin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone who never reads the news.
Happy you pay taxes to the Church of England.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
If you could prove your god, y wouldn't have to lie about it. Just a tip.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Atheism Rising wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully the shrinking fraction of theism does not grow more desperate and violent.
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2013

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's irrelevant. American atheists' tax money goes to 'faith based' social service programs that shovel money to religious organizations in quantities that dwarf the support given to the CoE. That's how republican government works (both with and without the capital 'r'). Everyone has to pay taxes, and the expenditure of those tax revenues is decided by a majority of the representatives. You don't get to say that none of your money can be spent for X, because you don't like X. Once it goes into the treasury, it stops being your money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••