The running of the blood

The running of the blood

There are 270 comments on the Enter Stage Right story from Jun 23, 2013, titled The running of the blood. In it, Enter Stage Right reports that:

When an atheist says he or she can love, then such atheism is already more than halfway to belief in an almighty God.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Enter Stage Right.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#241 Jul 23, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
See, that's the other reason I'll get a dog...less chance of them tearing up furniture with claws. Though they do still tear up furniture, they can be trained not to.
It's very hard to train a cat.
Not really. Besides-- I always get cat-friendly furniture.

I can **always** get more cheap furniture, after all-- it's only stuff.

Eminently replaceable.

But a cat or dog? Is both an investment in companionship, but also in time, energy and affection.

More than worth a shredded couch or three.

:D

But that's me-- your mileage may vary.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#242 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
My friends were able to introduce a scratching post to their cat quite early on - and they are extremely house proud. So it can be done if you invest the time.
<quoted text>
Oh, certainly! Most cats can be directed, if you give them sufficient motivation.

Food is one such. Affection and praise is another-- they are as ego-driven as dogs in that regard.

:D

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#243 Jul 30, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's to prevent them from scratching the furniture.
We only declawed the front, if that's any better.
Actually, not it's not any better. The feline's claws are for self defense, hunting, and climbing/jumping. Declawing a feline is akin to removing the hands of a human being, sure, they can still survive with the help of everyone else, but the moment that help is absent they're chances of survival are zilch, and they are prone to depression and suicide.

I am an animal fan, I prefer all non-human animals to humans for friendship, because non-human animals don't do as much stupid stuff. You can teach a feline, any breed, any species, to not "claw the furniture," or even to not use claws when playing with a human. It's not difficult if you can actually spend the time to get to know the animals, they're pretty smart, you just have to learn how to communicate your needs, ideas, and notions to them effectively.

I have never declawed any of my felines, and I have never had to replace any furniture because of their claws, I also have only one scar from a feline's claws, and I have always wrestled with them using my hand, giving them such exercise keeps them calmer when they're too young to go outside on their own.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#244 Jul 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, not it's not any better. The feline's claws are for self defense, hunting, and climbing/jumping. Declawing a feline is akin to removing the hands of a human being, sure, they can still survive with the help of everyone else, but the moment that help is absent they're chances of survival are zilch, and they are prone to depression and suicide.

I am an animal fan, I prefer all non-human animals to humans for friendship, because non-human animals don't do as much stupid stuff. You can teach a feline, any breed, any species, to not "claw the furniture," or even to not use claws when playing with a human. It's not difficult if you can actually spend the time to get to know the animals, they're pretty smart, you just have to learn how to communicate your needs, ideas, and notions to them effectively.

I have never declawed any of my felines, and I have never had to replace any furniture because of their claws, I also have only one scar from a feline's claws, and I have always wrestled with them using my hand, giving them such exercise keeps them calmer when they're too young to go outside on their own.
Declawing a cat's front paws is not harmful to them at all...you can ask any vet. I did the research before I had my cat done. It also has no effect on their mental health.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#245 Jul 30, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Declawing a cat's front paws is not harmful to them at all...you can ask any vet. I did the research before I had my cat done. It also has no effect on their mental health.
Asking a vet about how an organism is effected by such a dramatic change is like asking a medical doctor how your cells function. They are not biologists, nor ethologists.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#246 Jul 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Asking a vet about how an organism is effected by such a dramatic change is like asking a medical doctor how your cells function. They are not biologists, nor ethologists.
I agree with you here-- declawing is cruel, just for the sake of a **thing**(furniture).

I always considered my cats to be more worthwhile than **any** mere furniture I might own.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#247 Jul 31, 2013
Declawing a cat is analogous to removing the last joint on all of your fingers.

In the UK, declawing could get you a £20,000 fine or a year in prison.
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#248 Jul 31, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Declawing a cat is analogous to removing the last joint on all of your fingers.
In the UK, declawing could get you a £20,000 fine or a year in prison.
<quoted text>
Yep... it's cruel.

Location hidden

#249 Aug 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Asking a vet about how an organism is effected by such a dramatic change is like asking a medical doctor how your cells function. They are not biologists, nor ethologists.
Oh...please do tell where you received your information on how traumatic this is for cats.... I assumed a vet would know what they were talking about lol
Thinking

Royston, UK

#250 Aug 1, 2013
F**k your sh!tty furniture you animal abusing cu*t.

lol(!)
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...please do tell where you received your information on how traumatic this is for cats.... I assumed a vet would know what they were talking about lol
Thinking

Royston, UK

#251 Aug 1, 2013
Declawing is also illegal in Australia, Brazil, Israel and 21 other European signatories of this treaty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convent...
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep... it's cruel.

Location hidden

#252 Aug 1, 2013
Well I'm sorry guys....I've only owned one cat, and my parents had her front paws declawed...I no longer have her cause I lost her to feline leukemia, but our vet and several others at the time did say that it was not harmful to her...especially since she was an inside cat.

Location hidden

#253 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>F**k your sh!tty furniture you animal abusing cu*t.

lol(!)
Holy sh*t man! Did we really have to pull out the word cu*t for this one?!?!
Thinking

Royston, UK

#254 Aug 1, 2013
It's just a word. It's not like I mutilated a cat.
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy sh*t man! Did we really have to pull out the word cu*t for this one?!?!
Thinking

Royston, UK

#255 Aug 1, 2013
I'm sorry you lost your cat to feline leukaemia. Poor thing.
I_see_you wrote:
Well I'm sorry guys....I've only owned one cat, and my parents had her front paws declawed...I no longer have her cause I lost her to feline leukemia, but our vet and several others at the time did say that it was not harmful to her...especially since she was an inside cat.

Location hidden

#256 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>It's just a word. It's not like I mutilated a cat.
I know

Location hidden

#257 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry you lost your cat to feline leukaemia. Poor thing.
It was very sad...thank you. She was a very good kitty

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#258 Aug 1, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
:)

I don't fault you here-- it's a personal thing for me, I despise cutting up pets, just to suit the lazy human or worse-- what some moron thinks is "cool" or "stylish"...

.. as such, I despise all tail bobbing, all forms of ear cropping too. I consider those things abominations.

In fact? If I didn't live in the city, I'd not spay my cat either-- and I kinda feel bad that I did it anyhow.

But I really didn't want excess kittens every so often, so...

Call me an animal purist, if you wish. I'll accept that criticism.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#259 Aug 1, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It was very sad...thank you. She was a very good kitty
My smartest cat, Butler (or simply Butt or Buttcat-- long story) died from that at the venerable age of 14.

I was quite sad-- so I sympathize with *your* loss as well.

Butler was an in-and-out cat, and contracted his death-disease from other local neighborhood cats.

... meh.

As a result? My current cat, Galileo, is strictly an inside kitty. He's well past 10 himself, and has settled down to a once-a-week run though the house like a wild animal...

... <snerk>

Location hidden

#260 Aug 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
I don't fault you here-- it's a personal thing for me, I despise cutting up pets, just to suit the lazy human or worse-- what some moron thinks is "cool" or "stylish"...
.. as such, I despise all tail bobbing, all forms of ear cropping too. I consider those things abominations.
In fact? If I didn't live in the city, I'd not spay my cat either-- and I kinda feel bad that I did it anyhow.
But I really didn't want excess kittens every so often, so...
Call me an animal purist, if you wish. I'll accept that criticism.
;)
Thanks Bob... I would have never let my parent's do it if I thought it was going to be that harmful to her. She always did fine though. She could still scale things with her back claws, and she was always happy still. I don't do things like ear cropping or tail bobbing. Its not necessary at all. We have a schnauzer and I think he is so much cuter with his floppy ears :D

The feline leukemia was horrible. She was 11 years old when she got sick, and I had already gotten married and she lived with my parents because I couldn't have pets where we lived. She was so pitiful. I had to have her put to sleep. They tried treatment, but it didn't help, and I couldn't watch her suffer. Aside from losing my mother, that is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min Regolith Based Li... 32,173
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 14 min Rose_NoHo 775
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min Science 76,966
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... (Dec '16) 1 hr Eagle 12 - 290
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 hr John 258,478
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 16 hr Eagle 12 - 12
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 22 hr Dogen 4,309
More from around the web