Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6106 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Leviticus 25, King James Bible:
"Redemption of Bondmen"
Right, so you're using the KJV Bible. Glad we could establish some common ground.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That passage isn't a discussion on treating slaves, its about the individual's responsibility to serve God
Ergo, slavery. Doesn't matter whether we're talking about humans owning humans or God owning humans. It's slavery.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6107 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>What is slavery other than the theft of another's life and labor? It uses force, like robbery.
Worship or burn. Forced slavery or eternal torture.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6108 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Christians led the fight against slavery in North America as they did in Great Britain. Slavery isn't a Christian ideal; loving the stranger is a Christian ideal.
Like in Deuteronomy 20:10-14?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6109 Mar 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
There is absolutely no point arguing the details when the whole concept is so flawed
Actually there is when you have a predominantly Christian population and a significant proportion of which claim that the Bible is moral and use it to guide their actions. This is why we see Brian's "morality" is on the same level as those goatherders from 3,000 years ago.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6110 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, I never said "it's okay to enslave people", those are Nuggin's words, not mine. I've always said slavery is wrong, it violates the Commandment against stealing and Christians led the Abolition movement against slavery in the USA.
And Christians opposed them.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I assume my opponents haven't learned the truth, I seldom accuse anyone of lying. This is where we differ.
Yes, you lie, we don't. That is why we can point out why you're lying and you can't do the same to us.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Our religions have changed since the Bronze age; Nuggin doesn't seem to be able to keep up. Too bad.
Arguably the religion has changed somewhat ever since some people came up with pesky anti-Bible concepts such as the rights of man, etc. However you have shown your "morality" has not changed since the stone age. About the only modern abstract concept you've taken on is the art of political sleazing.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6111 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There were Muslims who sold African slaves into bondage too, and secularists who bought slaves as well. Modern Christianity says slavery is wrong; that's not changed by the actions of a tiny, long dead minority.
Modern Christianity says slavery is right too, as you are saying that those passages in the Bible endorsing slavery are "moral".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6112 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Seems to me, Hedonist either overestimates the Bible's inspiration or underestimates people's capacity to commit evil.
I doubt it.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>If you don't believe God's commandment to love the stranger condemns the act of stealing the stranger's life and labor with slavery; maybe there's something wrong with the way you read the Bible.
If you don't want to believe that worship or burn is advocating the act of stealing a person's life with slavery then maybe there's something wrong with the way you read the Bible.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6113 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Time and customs change; what was written 3,000 years ago can't be experienced the same way now.
It was written less than 5 centuries ago, and it advocates slavery. And here, in the 21st century, you call it "moral".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6114 Mar 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
"The Disclosure Project"
"The Disclosure Project is a research project working to fully disclose the facts about UFOs, extraterrestrial intelligence, and classified advanced energy and propulsion systems. We have over 500 government, military, and intelligence community witnesses testifying to their direct, personal, firsthand experience with UFOs, ETs, ET technology, and the cover-up that keeps this information secret".
>>> http://www.disclosureproject.org/
I think this disclosure will be devastating to religions, biological sciences the theory of evolution because they will have to be re-written.
Oh hey, Curtis. So where did the aliens take you on your last trip? Proxima? Vega? Cygnus? Andromeda? Did you boldy go where no man has gone before?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6115 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The Bible has an entire book named after the abolition of slavery, Exodus.
No it doesn't.
Brian_G wrote:
It condones theft and slavery is the theft of a life.
Bingo.
Brian_G wrote:
I've said this before and I'm not going to debate religion with unbelievers.
Too late, g.(shrug)
Brian_G wrote:
You go ahead and believe whatever you like. As long as you respect other's right to worship as they please and to defend their values, we don't have a problem.
That's why we're not calling the Gestapo to come and take you away for simply having a different opinion.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#6116 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Christians led the fight against slavery in North America as they did in Great Britain. Slavery isn't a Christian ideal; loving the stranger is a Christian ideal.
Christians also fought to keep slavery. So that's pretty much a wash.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#6117 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! That's pretty simplistic, and you ignore the whole 'out of bondage' and punishment for keeping slaves thing. I'm impressed! I can't wait to learn what the New Testament is about...
Yes, the story is about one side being right even if they were wrong. It's actually very simple.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#6118 Mar 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians also fought to keep slavery. So that's pretty much a wash.

Brian wrongly assumes the consensus about slavery was always the same it is now. He also cherry picks from the bible to support that claim as well as ignores the history of it.

Is this naive, or dishonesty? Or perhaps just being a troll?
I'm inclined to think it is the sum of his having some of all three.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#6119 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Time and customs change; what was written 3,000 years ago can't be experienced the same way now.
So Biblical moral commandments are not absolute but instead are relative to the time and we have outgrown them.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#6120 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
At some point humanity decided that killing witches was wrong in spite of Jehovah's command to do so.

What else in the Bible do you ignore? Do you decide which parts are still relevant all by yourself or do you depend on some religious authority (pastor, Pope, imam, rabbi, shaman, etc.)? Or maybe you understand modern morality as a function of society?

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#6121 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Christians led the Abolition movement against slavery in the USA.
Christians led the pro-slavery movement.

Can't claim one side over the other. Clearly Christians were the majority of slave owners and were chiefly responsible for the slave trade.
Our religions have changed since the Bronze age
So, the Bible isn't the inerrant word of God and it changes with some regularity. Great, then it's just a book of fiction. Utterly meaningless.

No point in you quoting it to prove a point then, since by your own claims, it changes.

Valley Village, CA

#6122 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Modern Christianity says slavery is wrong
And old Christianity says slavery was great.

So, there you have it. Your religion is BULLSH!T.

Valley Village, CA

#6123 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Then the Bible can not be used to justify ANYTHING.

If the Bible SAID that gay marriage was wrong 3000 years ago, it has NO RELEVANCE today.

If the Bible SAID that Jesus will return, it has NO RELEVANCE today.

You can't claim the Bible is the word of God if the Bible changes over time.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6124 Mar 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
"The Disclosure Project"
"The Disclosure Project is a research project working to fully disclose the facts about UFOs, extraterrestrial intelligence, and classified advanced energy and propulsion systems. We have over 500 government, military, and intelligence community witnesses testifying to their direct, personal, firsthand experience with UFOs, ETs, ET technology, and the cover-up that keeps this information secret".
>>> http://www.disclosureproject.org/
I think this disclosure will be devastating to religions, biological sciences the theory of evolution because they will have to be re-written.
Oh, gee what a surprise another godbot fruit loop and this believes in UFOs this should be fun.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6125 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand these terms, "bibull" and "christains", what's that about? Is this the popular ad hominem argument atheists so often use in place of reason?
<quoted text>From you page, less than 1.3% of the population were slaveholders. That's what I mean by a small minority. From what I've read, those that defended slavery did so on the grounds of State's rights, not religion.
<quoted text>The Bible has an entire book named after the abolition of slavery, Exodus. It condones theft and slavery is the theft of a life.
I've said this before and I'm not going to debate religion with unbelievers.
You go ahead and believe whatever you like. As long as you respect other's right to worship as they please and to defend their values, we don't have a problem.
Why do I have to "respect" peoples beliefs in silly myths? You have shown continuously your utter ignorance of the bibull and history.

You are just another silly little godbot who thinks that their interpretation of the bibull is the only correct one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 38 min Eagle 12 232,906
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 57 min Eagle 12 2,287
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 2 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 9 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 21 hr polymath257 23,199
More from around the web