Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#6085 Mar 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
"The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it (Luke 12:47)" Jesus says, "BEAT THE F' OUT OF YOUR SLAVES!"
That passage isn't a discussion on treating slaves, its about the individual's responsibility to serve God:

KJV: "Be Ready for Service

35Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; 36And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. 37Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. 38And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.

39And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. 40Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

41Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? 42And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? 43Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 44Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. 45But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; 46The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

Nuggin wrote:
And here's a gem:(Deuteronomy 20:10-14) "As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."
GOD has GIVEN YOU these women and children to be your SLAVES.
Face it, God believes slavery is VALID and MORAL
This is about the Laws of Warfare, prisoners of war who surrender may be forced to do labor. That law stands to this day, it's in the the Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War, Geneva July 27, 1929 says the same in Articles 27-34.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6086 Mar 30, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
You have got to be f.ucking joking.
There are ten commandments which are very specific:-
1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5. Respect your father and mother.
6. You must not kill.
7. You must not commit adultery.
8. You must not steal.
9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.
They very specific about minor offences like lying and yet obtuse about major crimes like enslaving people.
What is slavery other than the theft of another's life and labor? It uses force, like robbery.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6087 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>What is slavery other than the theft of another's life and labor? It uses force, like robbery.
Even if that were the case why was there slavery in North America.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#6088 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The passage refers to debt bondage, the freedom to sell your labor to repay a debt. Also known as indentured servitude:
Leviticus 25, King James Bible:
"Redemption of Bondmen
... Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour."
The 2nd half of your quote specially talks about keeping the children slaves FOREVER and passing them on to your children as possession.

You just disproved your claim with your own quote!
King Jame's Bible, 21:7:
And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself."
He is BUYING a woman as a SEX SLAVE and if she doesn't please him then he can SELL her back to her family.

That's _SLAVERY_.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#6089 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>...^^^Another misquote, the section is about servants, not slaves.
King Jame's Bible, 21:7:
And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant,...
Doesn't matter what word you use, the idea that a man can sell his daughter is just wrong. That you can't see how wrong it is speaks volumes about you.

The entire section being referenced here is in Exodus as is part of the list of commandments being given by Jehovah to Moses. It continues on the to commandments to kill all witches. Which means that Jehovah believe witches are real and killing is acceptable. As this is a direct commandment, I assume you still believe witches are real and would willingly kill any you find?

Or do you just pick and choose which parts of this book to follow and which parts to ignore?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6091 Mar 30, 2013
Christians led the fight against slavery in North America as they did in Great Britain. Slavery isn't a Christian ideal; loving the stranger is a Christian ideal.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#6092 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>What is slavery other than the theft of another's life and labor? It uses force, like robbery.
You are contradicting yourself.

You JUST SAID above that it's okay to enslave people, but now you are saying that one of the commandments forbids it.

Just stop lying. Just accept the fact that bronze age warrior tribes didn't have a mature grasp on morality. The worshiped a warrior god who brought down genocide for sh1ts and giggles.

The fact that you are STILL worshiping the same warrior god just means that your have the same immature grasp of morality that the bronze age sheep herders had when they made this sh1t up to begin with.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#6093 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Christians led the fight against slavery in North America as they did in Great Britain. Slavery isn't a Christian ideal; loving the stranger is a Christian ideal.
Christians argued on both sides of the issue and used the Bible to do so. Seems to me a truly inspired text should be impossible to misinterpret.

I don't believe there is anywhere in the 4 gospels where slavery is condemned?

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6094 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
But it was christians who ran the slave trade and used them.

Not only is it obvious that you make excuses for the horrors in the bibull but you have absolutely no knowledge of American history.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#6095 Mar 30, 2013
There is absolutely no point arguing the details when the whole concept is so flawed

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6096 Mar 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
There is absolutely no point arguing the details when the whole concept is so flawed
True but it is fun watching them twist the bibull to suit themselves.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6097 Mar 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
You are contradicting yourself. You JUST SAID above that it's okay to enslave people, but now you are saying that one of the commandments forbids it.
No, I never said "it's okay to enslave people", those are Nuggin's words, not mine. I've always said slavery is wrong, it violates the Commandment against stealing and Christians led the Abolition movement against slavery in the USA.

Nuggin wrote:
Just stop lying.
I assume my opponents haven't learned the truth, I seldom accuse anyone of lying. This is where we differ.

Nuggin wrote:
Just accept the fact that bronze age warrior tribes didn't have a mature grasp on morality. The worshiped a warrior god who brought down genocide for sh1ts and giggles. The fact that you are STILL worshiping the same warrior god just means that your have the same immature grasp of morality that the bronze age sheep herders had when they made this sh1t up to begin with.
Our religions have changed since the Bronze age; Nuggin doesn't seem to be able to keep up. Too bad.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6098 Mar 30, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
But it was christians who ran the slave trade and used them. Not only is it obvious that you make excuses for the horrors in the bibull but you have absolutely no knowledge of American history.
There were Muslims who sold African slaves into bondage too, and secularists who bought slaves as well. Modern Christianity says slavery is wrong; that's not changed by the actions of a tiny, long dead minority.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6099 Mar 30, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Christians argued on both sides of the issue and used the Bible to do so. Seems to me a truly inspired text should be impossible to misinterpret.
Seems to me, Hedonist either overestimates the Bible's inspiration or underestimates people's capacity to commit evil.

Hedonist wrote:
I don't believe there is anywhere in the 4 gospels where slavery is condemned?
If you don't believe God's commandment to love the stranger condemns the act of stealing the stranger's life and labor with slavery; maybe there's something wrong with the way you read the Bible.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6100 Mar 30, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Doesn't matter what word you use, the idea that a man can sell his daughter is just wrong. That you can't see how wrong it is speaks volumes about you. The entire section being referenced here is in Exodus as is part of the list of commandments being given by Jehovah to Moses. It continues on the to commandments to kill all witches. Which means that Jehovah believe witches are real and killing is acceptable. As this is a direct commandment, I assume you still believe witches are real and would willingly kill any you find? Or do you just pick and choose which parts of this book to follow and which parts to ignore?
Time and customs change; what was written 3,000 years ago can't be experienced the same way now.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6101 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There were Muslims who sold African slaves into bondage too, and secularists who bought slaves as well. Modern Christianity says slavery is wrong; that's not changed by the actions of a tiny, long dead minority.
What the muslims did has nothing to do with the bibull and why were christains buying slaves in the first place? So stop trying to deflect.

In 1860 nearly one in seven people were owned by somebody else:-
http://www.civil-war.net/census.asp...

So it was not a tiny minority who owned slaves and they could not have done so without the acquiesce of the majority.

But it is your statement "Modern Christianity says slavery is wrong" which I find hysterical because you are saying that bibull condones slavery.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6102 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Seems to me, Hedonist either overestimates the Bible's inspiration or underestimates people's capacity to commit evil.
<quoted text>If you don't believe God's commandment to love the stranger condemns the act of stealing the stranger's life and labor with slavery; maybe there's something wrong with the way you read the Bible.
If the bibull is so against slavery why doesn't it just say so. It is simple "slavery is evil" is it is simple.

But no it tells you instead how to treat them.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#6103 Mar 30, 2013
"The Disclosure Project"

"The Disclosure Project is a research project working to fully disclose the facts about UFOs, extraterrestrial intelligence, and classified advanced energy and propulsion systems. We have over 500 government, military, and intelligence community witnesses testifying to their direct, personal, firsthand experience with UFOs, ETs, ET technology, and the cover-up that keeps this information secret".

>>> http://www.disclosureproject.org/

I think this disclosure will be devastating to religions, biological sciences the theory of evolution because they will have to be re-written.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#6104 Mar 30, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
What the muslims did has nothing to do with the bibull[sic] and why were christains[sic] buying slaves in the first place? So stop trying to deflect.
I don't understand these terms, "bibull" and "christains", what's that about? Is this the popular ad hominem argument atheists so often use in place of reason?

Richardfs wrote:
In 1860 nearly one in seven people were owned by somebody else:-[URL deleted] So it was not a tiny minority who owned slaves and they could not have done so without the acquiesce of the majority.
From you page, less than 1.3% of the population were slaveholders. That's what I mean by a small minority. From what I've read, those that defended slavery did so on the grounds of State's rights, not religion.

Richardfs wrote:
But it is your statement "Modern Christianity says slavery is wrong" which I find hysterical because you are saying that bibull condones slavery.
The Bible has an entire book named after the abolition of slavery, Exodus. It condones theft and slavery is the theft of a life.

I've said this before and I'm not going to debate religion with unbelievers.

You go ahead and believe whatever you like. As long as you respect other's right to worship as they please and to defend their values, we don't have a problem.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#6105 Mar 30, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>You guys think a Scotsman in a dress is witty.
Occasionally, maybe. Seen The 51st State? Hilarious movie.
Jumper The Wise wrote:
Who gives a rats azz what you say about this beloved nation of yanks.
Obviously you don't, which is why you decided not to post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,272
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr polymath257 23,199
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Joe fortuna 232,895
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 12 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 13 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 13 hr thetruth 67
More from around the web