Aliens and evolution

Aliens and evolution

There are 6309 comments on the Washington Times story from Jun 19, 2012, titled Aliens and evolution. In it, Washington Times reports that:

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#6067 Mar 29, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
And if the Bible is correct, will continue for eternity after the events of Revelation.
<quoted text>
This is Brian G. He argued that when Santorum was promoting ID legalise apologetics that he was a supporter of evolution and not a reality-denying creationist fruitbasket, despite the fact we posted video evidence to the contrary.
This is why he made this particularly sleazy comment to paint his opposition in poor colours rather than address the facts pointed out in their posts:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TNK...
He's a political right-wing stooge, nothing more.
Agreed totally

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#6068 Mar 29, 2013
The Dude wrote:
...Bingo. It replaces slavery with slavery...An argument could be made that some religions of themselves a form of slavery - indoctrination from birth. That is why it matters little from that point whether you're destined to be God's slave at the end or if there's no such thing.
People are free to select their religions (in Western Culture at least). The Bible tells story that replace real human bondage, the ownership of another human being, with belief in God and his Commandment to love the stranger. I'll take the 'slavery' of worship, religion, work, ethics and morality over the real slavery of human bondage always. Let's start to think like moral beings, please.

BTW, I'm not a Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise. I choose not to discuss my religion. I'm writing about the Bible.

I assume Christians tell "The Dude" what they do because of how he behaves. No surprise.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6069 Mar 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
No it's not. It's a story about superiority and nothing more.
Wow! That's pretty simplistic, and you ignore the whole 'out of bondage' and punishment for keeping slaves thing. I'm impressed! I can't wait to learn what the New Testament is about...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6070 Mar 29, 2013
The Dude wrote:
...For a guy capable of magically-poofing entire universes and all life into existence it was a pretty pish-poor effort.
It worked, and now we live in a Country founded on the principles of morality, thanks to the Bible and our religions.

I love America.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#6071 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It worked, and now we live in a Country founded on the principles of morality, thanks to the Bible and our religions.
I love America.
You're an idiot , no offense.
America was founded on a singular principle , to escape the absolute authoritarian rule of the church of England, a christian church , now imagine that. It was a secular ideal to begin with, to not be persecuted no matter what your belief was. The fact is most everyone was christian , didn't mean any morals or ideals had to be christian, it meant you were free to pursue what gods you wished.
And it still is that way.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#6072 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>People are free to select their religions (in Western Culture at least).
No they aren't. That is why they are mostly Christian. Because their parents brought them up that way.
Brian_G wrote:
The Bible tells story that replace real human bondage, the ownership of another human being, with belief in God and his Commandment to love the stranger.
No, the Bible gives instructions on how to treat slaves. Then says anyone who doesn't end up in hell will be a slave for eternity.
Brian_G wrote:
I'll take the 'slavery' of worship, religion, work, ethics and morality over the real slavery of human bondage always. Let's start to think like moral beings, please.
You're a liar for Jesus who is rationalizing slavery in the Bible because you believe morality was handed down by an invisible man in the sky. Ergo you are incapable of moral choices.
Brian_G wrote:
BTW, I'm not a Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise. I choose not to discuss my religion. I'm writing about the Bible.
It doesn't matter what your religion is, you claimed the Bible does not support slavery. Yet you refuse to point out which Bible you were using. We couldn't care less about your baseless religious opinions, we are only interested in what you can demonstrate. We can, and have, demonstrated the Bible supports slavery. You claimed there's another Bible which doesn't. So if you are not lying (in this instance) then you must be using a Bible which most people are unfamiliar with. Perhaps the Jefferson Bible, or perhaps you wrote your own?
Brian_G wrote:
I assume Christians tell "The Dude" what they do because of how he behaves. No surprise.
Yes, I merely point out their historical and scientific errors and dishonesty then they threaten my eternal life.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#6073 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It worked
No it didn't.
Brian_G wrote:
and now we live in a Country founded on the principles of morality, thanks to the Bible and our religions.
I love America.
Actually you live in a country founded upon the principles of freedom and self-determination. Most of your laws actually have their roots in the Roman republic. Which later became Christian, and then decided to forget about assimilating other religions and cultures in favour of Christianity only, then it collapsed, by which time Christianity had already spread far and wide across Europe and the remaining populations started up their own countries and Governments based upon the Divine Right of Kings, a distinctly UNdemocratic concept. This led to the Dark Ages and all sorts of atrocities including killing the natives of the New World when that was (re)discovered, until eventually some people came over to America to escape religious persecution at the hands of the Christians in power in Europe, and the Founders managed to set up the US Constitution ensuring religious freedom, before the local Christian fundie nuts could establish their own Christian theocracy where THEY could do the oppressing.

Man, I didn't think that even you could go as low as David Barton but I should have known better.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#6074 Mar 29, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No it didn't.
<quoted text>
Actually you live in a country founded upon the principles of freedom and self-determination. Most of your laws actually have their roots in the Roman republic. Which later became Christian, and then decided to forget about assimilating other religions and cultures in favour of Christianity only, then it collapsed, by which time Christianity had already spread far and wide across Europe and the remaining populations started up their own countries and Governments based upon the Divine Right of Kings, a distinctly UNdemocratic concept. This led to the Dark Ages and all sorts of atrocities including killing the natives of the New World when that was (re)discovered, until eventually some people came over to America to escape religious persecution at the hands of the Christians in power in Europe, and the Founders managed to set up the US Constitution ensuring religious freedom, before the local Christian fundie nuts could establish their own Christian theocracy where THEY could do the oppressing.
Man, I didn't think that even you could go as low as David Barton but I should have known better.
You guys think a Scotsman in a dress is witty.
Who gives a rats azz what you say about this beloved nation of yanks.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6075 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think the Bible might not be literal history?
My point is, the Bible opposes slavery, in Genesis 37, Jacob is sold by his brothers into slavery. Do you think God approves of Jacob's brothers act?
Why then is there not an eleventh commandment:-

11. Thou shall not keep slaves.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#6076 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed "that God disapproved, but was POWERLESS to end slavery", those are Nuggin's beliefs, not mine.
<quoted text>Man has free will.
<quoted text>They hate that story because Noah's two by two collection is biblical justification for marriage as male and female.
<quoted text>Don't the Plagues show God's displeasure with slavery? Ending slavery was God's goal, he used the tools he had, Moses.
Run short of miracles, did he?

Adam and Eve are biblical justification for same sex marriage, and they were in the biblical tale long before the Noah impossibility.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#6077 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think the Bible might not be literal history?
My point is, the Bible opposes slavery, in Genesis 37, Jacob is sold by his brothers into slavery. Do you think God approves of Jacob's brothers act?
Do you think the story is about a real person, or could it be a parable/allegory??

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6078 Mar 30, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
Why then is there not an eleventh commandment:- 11. Thou shall not keep slaves.
There's an Eighth Commandment: Thou shalt not steal.

Slavery is the theft of another's life and labor.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6079 Mar 30, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
Do you think the story is about a real person, or could it be a parable/allegory??
In either case, who do you think God blessed, Jacob or his brothers who sold him into slavery?

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#6080 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed "that God disapproved, but was POWERLESS to end slavery", those are Nuggin's beliefs, not mine.
So you don't believe that God disapproves of slavery. Glad we cleared that up.
<quoted text>Man has free will.
Not according to Exodus.
They hate that story because Noah's two by two collection is biblical justification for marriage as male and female.
So, now you are claiming that the Bible believes that man/woman marriage is equal to two dogs humping one another.

That human marriage is no more special than any two animals of the same species screwing.

You just absolutely destroyed the entire concept of marriage trying to defend it.

Wow, you really are bad at this.
Don't the Plagues show God's displeasure with slavery? Ending slavery was God's goal, he used the tools he had, Moses.
Did slavery in Egypt end with Exodus?
Did the Jews no longer keep slaves post Exodus?
Did slavery exist in any countries other than Egypt at the time?
Did slavery exist in any countries other than Egypt AFTER the Exodus?

Did God "harden Pharaoh's heart" so that he would be prevented from freeing the Jews?

You don't have the first clue what's going on in that story.

You believe TODAY that slavery is wrong, therefore you are claiming RETROACTIVELY that it was wrong in the Bible because you want the Bible to be a document of morality.

It's _NOT_.

The Bible excuses rape, murder, genocide, slavery and a host of other things. Because it was written by miserable people who lived in a miserable place at a miserable time.

We are MORE sophisticated now than they were then.

You can't look to a book from a primitive culture for your modern morality. It won't work.

The Bible says that those kids that raped the girl and video taped it should have to pay her dad a few bucks and then she has to marry them and service them sexually whenever they want.

That's your "morality".

Los Angeles, CA

#6081 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There's an Eighth Commandment: Thou shalt not steal.
You keep making this claim, however it's clearly wrong.

The Bible is PRO-SLAVERY. Nothing you can say will change that because it's OBVIOUS in the Bible.

You've been given MULTIPLE citations in which slavery is justified and allowed.

You can't pick and choose.

If you want to claim that the Bible is the source of your morality by divine verdict, then you MUST go collect slaves and beat them. Otherwise, you are failing to serve your demonic god.

Los Angeles, CA

#6082 Mar 30, 2013
"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.(Leviticus 25:44 NLT)"

Clearly God is saying you can BUY SLAVES

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.(Exodus 21:2)"

EVEN Jewish slaves can be BOUGHT.

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.(Exodus 21:7)"

God is perfectly okay with you SELLING YOUR DAUGHTER!

"The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it (Luke 12:47)"

Jesus says, "BEAT THE F' OUT OF YOUR SLAVES!"

And here's a gem:
(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

"As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."

GOD has GIVEN YOU these women and children to be your SLAVES.

Face it, God believes slavery is VALID and MORAL

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6083 Mar 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There's an Eighth Commandment: Thou shalt not steal.
You have got to be f.ucking joking.

There are ten commandments which are very specific:-

1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5. Respect your father and mother.
6. You must not kill.
7. You must not commit adultery.
8. You must not steal.
9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

They very specific about minor offences like lying and yet obtuse about major crimes like enslaving people.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6084 Mar 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.(Leviticus 25:44 NLT)" Clearly God is saying you can BUY SLAVES
The passage refers to debt bondage, the freedom to sell your labor to repay a debt. Also known as indentured servitude:

Leviticus 25, King James Bible:
"Redemption of Bondmen

And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant: But as an hired servant, and as a sojourner, he shall be with thee, and shall serve thee unto the year of jubile: And then shall he depart from thee, both he and his children with him, and shall return unto his own family, and unto the possession of his fathers shall he return. For they are my servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as bondmen. Thou shalt not rule over him with rigour; but shalt fear thy God. Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour."

Nuggin wrote:
"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.(Exodus 21:2)" EVEN Jewish slaves can be BOUGHT.
Nuggin wrote:
"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.(Exodus 21:7)" God is perfectly okay with you SELLING YOUR DAUGHTER!
^^^Another misquote, the section is about servants, not slaves.

King Jame's Bible, 21:7:

And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her. And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters. If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money."

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6085 Mar 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
"The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it (Luke 12:47)" Jesus says, "BEAT THE F' OUT OF YOUR SLAVES!"
That passage isn't a discussion on treating slaves, its about the individual's responsibility to serve God:

KJV: "Be Ready for Service

35Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; 36And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. 37Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. 38And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.

39And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. 40Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

41Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? 42And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? 43Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 44Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. 45But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; 46The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

Nuggin wrote:
And here's a gem:(Deuteronomy 20:10-14) "As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."
GOD has GIVEN YOU these women and children to be your SLAVES.
Face it, God believes slavery is VALID and MORAL
This is about the Laws of Warfare, prisoners of war who surrender may be forced to do labor. That law stands to this day, it's in the the Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War, Geneva July 27, 1929 says the same in Articles 27-34.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6086 Mar 30, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
You have got to be f.ucking joking.
There are ten commandments which are very specific:-
1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5. Respect your father and mother.
6. You must not kill.
7. You must not commit adultery.
8. You must not steal.
9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.
They very specific about minor offences like lying and yet obtuse about major crimes like enslaving people.
What is slavery other than the theft of another's life and labor? It uses force, like robbery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Dogen 51,204
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 19 min Thinking 180
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 35 min Eagle 12 455
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Eagle 12 11,384
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 22,076
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 15 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,631
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 16 hr nanoanomaly 24,624
More from around the web