Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments (Page 299)

Showing posts 5,961 - 5,980 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6045
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
Tell that to the Christians who led the a bolitionist movement. Did you know Moses had an interracial marriage?
Tell that to the victims.

http://www.google.com.au/search...

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6046
Mar 29, 2013
 
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to the victims of the slave trade in North America.
You are just another silly little godbot who thinks they have actually read and understood the bibull.
The North American slaves had it made compared to those in South America.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6047
Mar 29, 2013
 
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>The North American slaves had it made compared to those in South America.
What you are trying to do is deflect the conversation away from the simple fact that so called god fearing christians in North America used the bibull to enslave and whip other humans.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6048
Mar 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are trying to do is deflect the conversation away from the simple fact that so called god fearing christians in North America used the bibull to enslave and whip other humans.
Really? Is that what I am trying to do? Do you have other super powers to go along with your mind reading abilities? Being an A-Hole doesn't count.
What I said was true. Also, there were christians that supported slavery and christians that did not.
Anyone that has read the bible knows that it supports slavery. You are not saying anything new.
You did not have to respond to my comment. No deflection intended. Just stating a fact.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6049
Mar 29, 2013
 
Nuggin wrote:
How is that even possible? Noah's family were all the same race. Which begs the question, where did the friggin Egyptians come from and how did the Jews end up living in Egypt if the ENTIRE WORLD was populated ONLY by Jews immediately after the Flood.
Do you think the Bible might not be literal history?

My point is, the Bible opposes slavery, in Genesis 37, Jacob is sold by his brothers into slavery. Do you think God approves of Jacob's brothers act?

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6050
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think the Bible might not be literal history?
My point is, the Bible opposes slavery, in Genesis 37, Jacob is sold by his brothers into slavery. Do you think God approves of Jacob's brothers act?
So, your claim is that God disapproved, but was POWERLESS to end slavery.

Sounds like this "God" character is a f*#king worthless tool.

What's next? God is made at bad people, so he wipes the world clean, killing absolutely innocent children, plants and animals rather than come up with some other solution?

Or worse, maybe you'll tell me that God tortured the people of Egypt needlessly because it was easier to destroy an entire country than to just turn the Jews invisible for 48 hours.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6051
Mar 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Nuggin wrote:
So, your claim is that God disapproved, but was POWERLESS to end slavery.
I never claimed "that God disapproved, but was POWERLESS to end slavery", those are Nuggin's beliefs, not mine.

.
Nuggin wrote:
Sounds like this "God" character is a f*#king worthless tool.
Man has free will.

.
Nuggin wrote:
What's next? God is made at bad people, so he wipes the world clean, killing absolutely innocent children, plants and animals rather than come up with some other solution?
They hate that story because Noah's two by two collection is biblical justification for marriage as male and female.

.
Nuggin wrote:
Or worse, maybe you'll tell me that God tortured the people of Egypt needlessly because it was easier to destroy an entire country than to just turn the Jews invisible for 48 hours.
Don't the Plagues show God's displeasure with slavery? Ending slavery was God's goal, he used the tools he had, Moses.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6052
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have a problem with this?
Yup.
Brian_G wrote:
They don't tell me that.
Because you're a fellow fundie.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I like things in context and I don't take my Bible study with militant atheists, thank you very much.
I'm not a militant atheist. Don't believe me? Ask Skippy. He's our resident atheist militant.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That is the argument against slavery; it replaces real slavery, human bondage, with worship of God.
Bingo. It replaces slavery with slavery.
Brian_G wrote:
I prefer religion to actual slavery; this is where we differ.
An argument could be made that some religions of themselves a form of slavery - indoctrination from birth. That is why it matters little from that point whether you're destined to be God's slave at the end or if there's no such thing.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6053
Mar 29, 2013
 
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
How is that even possible?
Noah's family were all the same race.
Which begs the question, where did the friggin Egyptians come from and how did the Jews end up living in Egypt if the ENTIRE WORLD was populated ONLY by Jews immediately after the Flood.
And the obvious solution to this problem is that the Bible is flippin' crazy..:-)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6054
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Deliver people from slavery, human bondage, the evil of man believing he owns his fellow man to ethical monotheism. I choose ethical monotheism over slavery any day. If you have a better argument against slavery, let's hear it.
Monotheism is ethical only if the universe-creating entity doesn't give a sh t about us. Otherwise it's worship or burn, which is not ethical and not any kind of argument against slavery in any way at all whatsoever.

Not even a ickle tiny widdle bit.
Brian_G wrote:
What kind of myth is this? Not anything I want to hear more of.
Exactly. Like I said you ignore that which you find theologically/politically inconvenient.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/judges/iron_...

http://www.thebricktestament.com/judges/iron_...
Brian_G wrote:
Maybe in A.M.'s temple, but not in mine. We don't even spell God the same. I'd rather hear about religion from somebody who loves religion, not fundamental secularists and radical atheists.
Exactly. Like I said you ignore that which you find theologically/politically inconvenient. You are unwilling to apply critical scrutiny to your position because you are a political sleazeball.(shrug)
Brian_G wrote:
Thanks anyways, good luck, you'll need it if you don't learn to understand God's words.
No more than you. Since it's not possible for you to understand God any more than anyone else does on the entire planet. Your ego may tell you otherwise but you are quite simply not that special.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6055
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Is telling someone not to kill a slave, approval of slavery? I'm not sure t.w.o.m. is right, can he cite?
Yes of course it's approval of slavery. Dead slaves can't work.
Brian_G wrote:
The Koran might explicitly approve of slavery, but not the Old Testament or the New Testament.
.
<quoted text>Can telling someone to do the best they can, really approval of slavery? Maybe its just explicit approval of doing a good job and slavery is a metaphor, you think?
.
<quoted text>Maybe your bible. Mine has ancient arguments against slavery, its theft of another's labor; that's against biblical commandment. I've never seen a biblical commandment for slavery.
That's because you have never read the Bible.
Brian_G wrote:
How about the entire book of Exodus, emancipation from slavery. Don't you like that anti-slavery story?
.
<quoted text>My God doesn't approve of slavery. My bible forbids slavery, I don't know about yours.
If your bible doesn't forbid slavery, I don't want to know about yours.
Which Bible are you talking about? Which particular Bible is "your" Bible?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6056
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
.
<quoted text>Don't the Plagues show God's displeasure with slavery? Ending slavery was God's goal, he used the tools he had, Moses.
Moses did not end slavery....Moses probably wasn't even real. And slavery continued long past the lifetime of the supposed Moses.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6057
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
I believe Christianity opposes slavery, twordofme and Nuggin don't. This is the difference between their Christianity and mine. It reflects their religious beliefs; I believe the Bible clearly condemns theft and slavery is the theft of a life.
Actually it's not their religious beliefs. It is merely their view of the Bible. They hold that view for the simple reason that the book of the Bible does not oppose these things. One can find this out by reading the Bible.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6058
Mar 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Brian_G wrote:
Tell that to the Christians who led the a bolitionist movement. Did you know Moses had an interracial marriage?
And did you know that the abolitionist movement was opposed by Christians using the Bible as justification for slavery?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6059
Mar 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Nuggin wrote:
Just admit that. Denying that the Bible says what the Bible says just makes you look more dishonest than a regular Christian.
Ah, but Brian G is a regular liar for Jesus.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6060
Mar 29, 2013
 
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
How is that even possible?
Noah's family were all the same race.
Which begs the question, where did the friggin Egyptians come from and how did the Jews end up living in Egypt if the ENTIRE WORLD was populated ONLY by Jews immediately after the Flood.
Hyper-rapid evolution.

Although (apparently) evolution definitely did not happen because it's not how the Bible sez it is.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6061
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think the Bible might not be literal history?
This has been known for centuries.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6062
Mar 29, 2013
 
I totally don't understand how someone can read the Bible and somehow believe it is against slavery....it's so damn obvious.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6063
Mar 29, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed "that God disapproved, but was POWERLESS to end slavery", those are Nuggin's beliefs, not mine.
No, it's right there in the Bible. Slavery was not ended. Ergo God was powerless or didn't give a f ck.(shrug)
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Man has free will.
Not possible under the scenario of an all-powerful all-knowing omnipotent omniscient God. This logical quandary has been around for millenia, and to date not one theologian and certainly no fundie has solved it. Plenty of apologetics on the matter though.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They hate that story because Noah's two by two collection is biblical justification for marriage as male and female.
No, it's Biblical justification for even more sleeping with your sister.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Don't the Plagues show God's displeasure with slavery? Ending slavery was God's goal, he used the tools he had, Moses.
For a guy capable of magically-poofing entire universes and all life into existence it was a pretty pish-poor effort.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6064
Mar 29, 2013
 
thewordofme wrote:
Moses did not end slavery....Moses probably wasn't even real. And slavery continued long past the lifetime of the supposed Moses.
And if the Bible is correct, will continue for eternity after the events of Revelation.
thewordofme wrote:
I totally don't understand how someone can read the Bible and somehow believe it is against slavery....it's so damn obvious.
This is Brian G. He argued that when Santorum was promoting ID legalise apologetics that he was a supporter of evolution and not a reality-denying creationist fruitbasket, despite the fact we posted video evidence to the contrary.

This is why he made this particularly sleazy comment to paint his opposition in poor colours rather than address the facts pointed out in their posts:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TNK...

He's a political right-wing stooge, nothing more.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,961 - 5,980 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 5 min henry 163
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 54 min Buck Crick 354
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 58 min Buck Crick 21,375
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Thinking 224,006
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 3 hr Patrick 1,285
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 3 hr Carchar king 4
•••
•••