Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments
5,921 - 5,940 of 6,103 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
By roughly 15,000 years ago humans were everywhere on earth except Antarctica.
And depending on how you define "humans" you can push that date back much further back.

I still contend that fully modern people were in the Americans by 27k bpe.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
2) Give me an example of something that is both real and unfalsifiable.
Dark matter

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There's absolutely no reason to make these stories up, and the Noah story was told by God to Moses, not by Noah himself.
What is your opinion on Greek Mythology then?

Was there a reason to make up those stories? How are they any different than the stories in the Old Testament?

If Greek Mythology can be made up, why can't something else be made up?

If the Bible can't me made up, then why should we consider Greek mythology to be false?

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>What scientific evidence could there possibly be that proves the exodus never happened? If you say it's scientifically impossible, that's the definition of a miracle! And what God did the Rabbis serve, an idol?
What scientific evidence is there that Harry Potter didn't happen?

If you say "It's just a movie", well that's the definition of magic. The wizards used magic to make you think it was a movie.

Beginning to see the flaw in your argument?

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
Exodus is pure rubbish
There are likely several kernals of truth in the Exodus story.

- There were some Jews in Egypt.
- Egypt had a problem with locusts at one point
- Some people got sick at some other point
- A band of terrorists paints doors with blood and murdered children

That's all perfectly plausible.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
There are likely several kernals of truth in the Exodus story.
- There were some Jews in Egypt.
- Egypt had a problem with locusts at one point
- Some people got sick at some other point
- A band of terrorists paints doors with blood and murdered children
That's all perfectly plausible.
All of these things could apply to any given point in history, and do not point to a specific event. So this is itself is why the bible is a work of historical fiction. But the Exodus story of the bible is highly imaginative ,inventive and utter hogwash. The conquest of Canaan was over 1000 years of history, not the 40 years you were pregnant barefoot wandering desert as a mud flower Jew.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> All of these things could apply to any given point in history, and do not point to a specific event. So this is itself is why the bible is a work of historical fiction. But the Exodus story of the bible is highly imaginative ,inventive and utter hogwash. The conquest of Canaan was over 1000 years of history, not the 40 years you were pregnant barefoot wandering desert as a mud flower Jew.
Yes, things have happened in Egypt at different times in the past. That doesn't mean that people can't reference them when they make up stories.

When you make a claim like: "This is based on nothing", then you are opening yourself up to a Creationist who can respond by saying, "Here's proof of ONE THING mentioned in the story, therefore it's all true."

Egypt surely suffered through plagues in the past. Not ones from "God", but given how long people have lived in Egypt is an absolute certainty that at least half the Exodus plagues hit at one time or another.

As "mud flower Jews" is that some new racial slur?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>What scientific evidence could there possibly be that proves the exodus never happened? If you say it's scientifically impossible, that's the definition of a miracle! And what God did the Rabbis serve, an idol?
Well ... for one, no artifacts were found, so until evidence is found supporting it, it never happened.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There's absolutely no reason to make these stories up, and the Noah story was told by God to Moses, not by Noah himself. Do you believe in the shroud of Turin, because that is a myth, or actually outright fraud.
If that was the case, there's no reason tobacco companies would lie. There's no reason herbal companies would make up their claims. There's no reason fad diet companies would make up their testimonials ....

The most important assertion of a scam, to make the scam lure the gullible, is to assert that anyone who presents the facts that demonstrate it's invalid is wrong, such as saying "anyone who doesn't believe is just under the influence of ..." ....

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ... for one, no artifacts were found, so until evidence is found supporting it, it never happened.
The better argument is this:

There are extensive written records from Egypt and they don't record the events in Exodus.

Given that it would be the equivalent of US government records leaving out the Civil War, it's unreasonable to believe that these events could have taken place and gone ABSOLUTELY unrecorded.

No record, no physical evidence, no viable mechanism - no reason to believe.

On top of that: The Exodus is TERRIBLE theology.

It disproves the idea of "One God" which it also claims.
It disproves the idea of an "all powerful God"
It disproves the idea of a loving, compasionate or just "God"

Frankly, it's the most damning book AGAINST the reliigon
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It must be painful having to replace that faulty irony meter of yours that explodes so frequently.
If you read the instructions correctly it says do NOT shove it up your a$$.
Once you've corrected your error, all you need to do is 1) understand the burden of proof (will you ever really? nah) 2) Give me an example of something that is both real and unfalsifiable.
I think I can hear another irony meter exploding in your a$$ again. Better get that checked.
1 - I do, you don't.

2 - Already have multiple times. So far you've yet to address it. Multiple times.

Keep lying, Skip.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There's absolutely no reason to make these stories up
Of course there is.

If not then the same could be said for every single religion. And all their magic miracles are every bit as valid as those from your religion.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Dark matter
Hmm, not sure I agree on that one. Dark matter makes successful predictions in regards to the positions and motions of astronomical phenomena. But if we come across some stuff in space that doesn't match up with what the calculations of dark matter tells us that's a potential falsification. I suppose *maybe* it could be considered non-falsifiable in the sense we have no idea what the feck it's made of yet.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
...On top of that: The Exodus is TERRIBLE theology...
It is if you support slavery; Exodus is a biblical story against slavery.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It is if you support slavery; Exodus is a biblical story against slavery.
What the heck are you talking about? The ENTIRE FREAKING BIBLE supports slavery, you mook.

Moses wasn't freeing them from being slaves.

He was saying they could not be THEIR beeyaches because GOD is the only beeyach-master for this universe!

You uh, HAVE read the book, haven't you Brian?

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
What the heck are you talking about? The ENTIRE FREAKING BIBLE supports slavery, you mook.
He was saying they could not be THEIR beeyaches because GOD is the only beeyach-master for this universe!
Most have not read the book, in the way it should be read. From beginning to the end.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>

Brains of wormwood, or his holy head. You know like Swiss cheese . cause the wood watters done ate clean through it.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

The Dude wrote:
How do you get that? I don't read biblical support for slavery, I read an entire book devoted to emancipation. We are all equal before God and theft is wrong under biblical morality. Slavery is the theft of life, it is explicitly banned in the Bible, labeled a sin.

The Dude wrote:
Are you reading the KJB? Exodus 6:6:

"Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments"

The Dude wrote:
He was saying they could not be THEIR beeyaches because GOD is the only beeyach-master for this universe! You uh, HAVE read the book, haven't you Brian?
^^^Another excellent argument against slavery, I support all arguments against slavery. This is where we differ.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Very Cynical Person wrote:
Most have not read the book, in the way it should be read. From beginning to the end.
I'll bet he's only read select passages, those that support a purposeful agenda. I wouldn't advise taking Bible study with him.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>How do you get that? I don't read biblical support for slavery, I read an entire book devoted to emancipation. We are all equal before God and theft is wrong under biblical morality. Slavery is the theft of life, it is explicitly banned in the Bible, labeled a sin.
Really?

http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistles/on_...
Brian_G wrote:
Are you reading the KJB? Exodus 6:6:
"Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments"
Worship or burn. That's what all the fundies around here tell me with their fascination of the fundamentalist revenge fantasy. And quite often with Biblical support for it. Hence, slavery.
Brian_G wrote:
Another excellent argument against slavery, I support all arguments against slavery. This is where we differ.
Yes, we differ because I am correct and you are not. This is because you've always had a nasty habit of ignoring anything you find inconvenient. It is not an argument AGAINST slavery, since it merely replaces one form of slavery with another.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 53 min Patrick 357
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr CunningLinguist 224,019
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 4 hr Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 4 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Patrick 21,376
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr Thinking 831
•••
•••