Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5965 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That proves your faith; we have evidence of lots of planets but no evidence of alien life.
<quoted text>I want Barsoomians on Mars but that doesn't make it true. There's a difference between fact and fiction, a standard of evidence. There's no evidence for extraterrestrial life.
<quoted text>I've never advocated any creation story; I wasn't there so I can't know how life began. This is the difference between A.M. and me, I know faith isn't based on science.
<quoted text>Wishful thinking is similar to faith, neither are based on objective evidence. It doesn't matter what you want; facts stand on their own.
<quoted text>Scientists aren't posting on this forum. Besides, the issue isn't the possibility of alien life, of course ET life is possible. The issue is evidence, so far life has only been found on Earth.
<quoted text>Optimism and pessimism are both based on faith in assumptions about reality. I'm no pessimist, I favor exploring space, to learn the truth.
"That proves your faith; we have evidence of lots of planets but no evidence of alien life."

Faith? There is none nor any expectation you are a clown, projecting utter bs.

"I want Barsoomians on Mars but that doesn't make it true. There's a difference between fact and fiction, a standard of evidence. There's no evidence for extraterrestrial life."

I never said there was conclusive evidence of extraterrestrial life , but there in fact could be. Though it is unprovable it certainly looks like it could be.
The fact remains that astrobiology IS a science, and it is clear by it's name what it's intention is, idiot.
I suggest you read this..

http://www.newscientist.com/topic/astrobiolog...

"I've never advocated any creation story; I wasn't there so I can't know how life began. This is the difference between A.M. and me, I know faith isn't based on science."

You do not have to profess that you do, it is clear from your arguments. Only fundies have serious objections to the thought of extraterrestrial life.

"Wishful thinking is similar to faith, neither are based on objective evidence. It doesn't matter what you want; facts stand on their own."

Fair enough, but having a positive attitude is far healthier to me than having a negative one. In truth I would be happier around people who wish well than those who are always negative.

"Scientists aren't posting on this forum. Besides, the issue isn't the possibility of alien life, of course ET life is possible. The issue is evidence, so far life has only been found on Earth."

You base this conclusion on your assessment, a faulty one.
I'm not so sure why you are shifting the goalposts now either.
No one said there was direct evidence of extraterrestrial life.
Even though there maybe it is inconclusive.
Only the precursors of life are known and everyone else has stated no more than these precursors as evidence there could be.

"Optimism and pessimism are both based on faith in assumptions about reality. I'm no pessimist, I favor exploring space, to learn the truth."

Optimism and pessimism are not faith, they are collective attitudes. They absolutely do not have to be about assumptions
but are about positive and negative attitude.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#5966 Mar 25, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
No, your just old.
Age is much more desirable, than not to age. Lucky me, and poor you.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#5967 Mar 25, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Age is much more desirable, than not to age. Lucky me, and poor you.
But your memory is going
suerose

South Shields, UK

#5968 Mar 25, 2013
Dimensions . They don't travel anywhere. There already here. You cant see anything with your 3d eyes. Frequency of Space. Earth. You.
Frequency raised causes change. Evolution maybe.
Physics . Geometry. Just something for yous to think about. Not saying i believe just saying have a look into it.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5969 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I want Barsoomians on Mars but that doesn't make it true. There's a difference between fact and fiction, a standard of evidence. There's no evidence for extraterrestrial life.
We are talking about the possibility of locating extraterrestrial life in the future. It necessarily must be something happening in the future, since it's not current nor past.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to have evidence of a future event.

You can not say, definitely, that you have evidence that tomorrow gravity will exist. You can point to the fact that gravity does exist now and SPECULATE that it will LIKELY exist in the future.

The reason you can speculate about this is that there's no evidence that gravity is limited to the present. There's no reason to assume that the mechanisms that result in gravity will cease tomorrow.

The same thing is happening here.

We can point to the fact that life DOES exist and SPECULATE that life ALSO exists elsewhere.

The reason being that there's nothing about life which prohibits it from existing elsewhere. Earth does not possess a unique element. Chemistry does not work different here.

Therefore, given that the same rules apply here as elsewhere and that there is A LOT of elsewhere. It's safe to assume EVEN WITHOUT EVIDENCE that some other planet somewhere else in the Universe has gravity.

And life.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#5970 Mar 25, 2013
If we rely on the history of our ancestors who experienced God, how can we deny that she exists? Why would a whole nation of people concoct a story that wasn't true, and cause their children to believe it. We have to accept that stories like the Exodus from Egypt really happened as described in the bible, there is no reason for them to lie.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5971 Mar 25, 2013
susanblange wrote:
If we rely on the history of our ancestors who experienced God, how can we deny that she exists? Why would a whole nation of people concoct a story that wasn't true, and cause their children to believe it. We have to accept that stories like the Exodus from Egypt really happened as described in the bible, there is no reason for them to lie.
Except that there are THOUSANDS of such stories. Many, if not most, are contradictory.

So, if one must be true because "why would they lie?", then ALL must be true for the same reason.

Which puts you in the position of there being several "one true gods" who insist that none other are real.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5972 Mar 25, 2013
susanblange wrote:
Many reasons such lies would be concocted.

1. Money
2. Power
3. Justification of criminal behavior
4. Justification of immoral behavior.

... and many more.

Location hidden

#5973 Mar 25, 2013
There may very well be more stories from other cultures about their encounters with God. There's the Gilgamesh Epic about Noah and the flood and are almost the same but not perfectly identical. I think this proves the bible story, rather than discrediting it.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5974 Mar 25, 2013
susanblange wrote:
There may very well be more stories from other cultures about their encounters with God. There's the Gilgamesh Epic about Noah and the flood and are almost the same but not perfectly identical. I think this proves the bible story, rather than discrediting it.
What it proves is that stories are handed down in tradition by people who memorized tales , and that these tales were every slightly changed.
Especially when transferred culture to culture and down the line the original story is somewhat different that the message in the beginning.

Location hidden

#5975 Mar 25, 2013
AMEN! God bless you!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5976 Mar 25, 2013
susanblange wrote:
AMEN! God bless you!
It doesn't prove anything important though.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

#5977 Mar 26, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
But your memory is going
You repeat yourself.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5978 Mar 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
The only thing that would give the Noah story credence would be if the Earth was a lifeless ball. Since the Earth is actually teeming with life that alone discredits the Bible story.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#5979 Mar 26, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You repeat yourself.
You remembered that? Wow! Good for you.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#5980 Mar 26, 2013
'We are the martians'

Ray Bradbury.

Location hidden

#5981 Mar 26, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing that would give the Noah story credence would be if the Earth was a lifeless ball. Since the Earth is actually teeming with life that alone discredits the Bible story.
You're forgetting earthly life was saved on the ark and it's likely the flood was only local, not worldwide. There's no way all the living species would have fit on the ark but all of humankind was drowned except for Noah and his family.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#5982 Mar 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You're forgetting earthly life was saved on the ark and it's likely the flood was only local, not worldwide. There's no way all the living species would have fit on the ark but all of humankind was drowned except for Noah and his family.
You're forgetting you believe in a myth.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#5983 Mar 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You're forgetting earthly life was saved on the ark and it's likely the flood was only local, not worldwide. There's no way all the living species would have fit on the ark but all of humankind was drowned except for Noah and his family.
I assume you believe that this flood of Noah's occurred about 4500 years ago or so.

Sorry to tell you this, but we have ample evidence that modern humans occupied virtually every corner of the earth (except Antartica) since about 14,000 years ago, and that no catastrophic event simultaneously wiped out all of these civilizations.

In fact, several of these cultures seemed to breeze right through your flood without so much as getting the soles of their sandals damp.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5984 Mar 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
Ah, at least this makes you more rational than most fundies. And since the flood (if it did happen to be based on a real event) was local it means that not all humankind was drowned since they didn't all live in the Middle East.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stump a theist with 2 questions 5 min Patrick 36
Our world came from nothing? 23 min Thinking 459
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 41 min Just Think 227,476
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 47 min Dak-Original 22,211
Bill Maher's "dirty secret": He's deeply religi... 48 min NightSerf 2
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr Carchar king 49
Why I have rejected ATHEISM because of the JEWS 1 hr Thinking 3
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE