Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5945 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem here is that you don't understand that faith is believe where evidence CAN NOT be obtained. EVER.
People have faith in "God" because there NEVER will be evidence of "God". If there could be evidence of "God", then there would be no faith.
There CAN, however, be evidence of life elsewhere in the Universe. The discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence would not utterly destroy the entire concept of science.
However, the discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence in a "God" would absolutely DESTROY the entire concept of religion.
Faith; Belief without need of certain proof.

Your friend is practicing "faith" in a belief, a speculation. That sounds very similar to faith in something else currently having the consistency of sub-quantum limn, hmmm?

Location hidden

#5946 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem here is that you don't understand that faith is believe where evidence CAN NOT be obtained. EVER.
People have faith in "God" because there NEVER will be evidence of "God". If there could be evidence of "God", then there would be no faith.
There CAN, however, be evidence of life elsewhere in the Universe. The discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence would not utterly destroy the entire concept of science.
However, the discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence in a "God" would absolutely DESTROY the entire concept of religion.
You don't know for a fact that humans will find evidence of life existing elsewhere before they become extinct themselves. And for that matter, why give a fk if it gets found outside our galaxy; we could never physically come into contact with something that far away. Just "knowing" of "its" existence does neither group any good. There is no point to finding life so far away, we can't even stay at the space station very long without being damaged from high-energy radiation.

As for faith in a god, I can't speak for anyone else on that matter and I find it ridiculous that you try to.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5947 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Faith; Belief without need of certain proof.
No one in religion has "faith" that "there is a high probability that God exists".

They have "faith" that "God _DOES_ exist".

It does not require faith to conclude that, given what we already know, it is highly likely that SOMEWHERE in the Universe there exists life.

There is no unique component of life found only on Earth. Life is not made up of some element not found on the periodic table.

We've found both the precursors and the byproducts of life elsewhere.

And, the Cosmological Principle holds for life as it does for anything else in the Universe.

Can we prove CONCLUSIVELY that life exists elsewhere? No.
How much of the Universe have we searched? 0.00%
We haven't even found ALL the life which exists on Earth.

Valley Village, CA

#5948 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know for a fact that humans will find evidence of life existing elsewhere before they become extinct themselves. And for that matter, why give a fk if it gets found outside our galaxy; we could never physically come into contact with something that far away.
Ah, the argument from "I want to stay ignorant".

Also seen in: "Who gives a crap if there were dinosaurs, they are all dead now?"
And: "Who gives a crap if the Nazis killed a bunch of Jews. In a few years, no one will be around who remembers it."
As for faith in a god, I can't speak for anyone else on that matter and I find it ridiculous that you try to.
Once again, faith is belief in the absence of evidence.

You do not require faith that you are using a computer. You have evidence that you are using a computer. Your faith that you are using a computer is therefore gone.

If you were to find your precious "God" floating in Heaven, then all religion would be nullified. You would simply be taking orders without faith. He says, "Go murder a cow" so you do it because you _KNOW_ what will happen if you don't.

Location hidden

#5949 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
No one in religion has "faith" that "there is a high probability that God exists".
They have "faith" that "God _DOES_ exist".
It does not require faith to conclude that, given what we already know, it is highly likely that SOMEWHERE in the Universe there exists life.
There is no unique component of life found only on Earth. Life is not made up of some element not found on the periodic table.
We've found both the precursors and the byproducts of life elsewhere.
And, the Cosmological Principle holds for life as it does for anything else in the Universe.
Can we prove CONCLUSIVELY that life exists elsewhere? No.
How much of the Universe have we searched? 0.00%
We haven't even found ALL the life which exists on Earth.
Believing in a probability that has not even been determined beyond any doubt IS faith, "hope" as your buddy called it.
Let us all know when you, Nuggin The All Knowing, has found what the catalyst was that started life, what caused the first pulsing, throbbing struggle to replicate and BE.
"By-products?" Methane is not "proof" of life.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#5950 Mar 24, 2013
The Whopper! Proof of life!

Valley Village, CA

#5951 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Believing in a probability that has not even been determined beyond any doubt IS faith, "hope" as your buddy called it.
Bull.
There are LOTS of times where we estimate probability without knowing all the variables.
I will PROBABLY find a seashell if I go to the beach. I don't know how many sea shells there are. I don't know their global distribution.
I do know that sea shells exist. I do know that beaches exist. I do know that given the size of beaches, I'm likely to find a shell on at least one of them.
Let us all know when you, Nuggin The All Knowing, has found what the catalyst was that started life, what caused the first pulsing, throbbing struggle to replicate and BE.
I don't need to know what it is, since I know that life exists.
However, since you claim it's "Jew Magic", you've got a much higher hurdle for your evidence.
You first.
"By-products?" Methane is not "proof" of life.
Persistent methane is proof of methane production which IS a by product of life.

Location hidden

#5952 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull.
There are LOTS of times where we estimate probability without knowing all the variables.
I will PROBABLY find a seashell if I go to the beach. I don't know how many sea shells there are. I don't know their global distribution.
I do know that sea shells exist. I do know that beaches exist. I do know that given the size of beaches, I'm likely to find a shell on at least one of them.
<quoted text>
I don't need to know what it is, since I know that life exists.
However, since you claim it's "Jew Magic", you've got a much higher hurdle for your evidence.
You first.
<quoted text>
Persistent methane is proof of methane production which IS a by product of life.
Wow, you are denser than dirt.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5953 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>His (Brian's) sentiment is not a matter of "want", but one of skepticism just like yours is against theism. Your choosing to "hope" there is life somewhere else is a form of faith in the classical sense. Look up the definition of faith.
As long as there is only one "known" instance of life (based on abiogenesis) there ARE NO statistical odds. You cannot determine odds from a single event. 1 is not plural.

Actually there are two known instances of life that occurred on Earth. The Ediacaran biota died out and disappeared but is distinctly foreign to life as we know it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5954 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, you are denser than dirt.
Projection here.

Location hidden

#5955 Mar 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there are two known instances of life that occurred on Earth. The Ediacaran biota died out and disappeared but is distinctly foreign to life as we know it.
Very funny.

Location hidden

#5956 Mar 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Projection here.
Grow a brain, gahybie.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5957 Mar 25, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Grow a brain, gahybie.
More projection. You're the moron that thinks plants only need water and air to survive.

Location hidden

#5958 Mar 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
More projection. You're the moron that thinks plants only need water and air to survive.
I suspect you may have, inadvertently, swallowed some radioactive sperm...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/09/25/...

...and acquired serious brain damage. Do yourself a favor and get tested.

I'd call you a fuhktard but that would be insulting decent, sexually challeged people everywhere.

Location hidden

#5959 Mar 25, 2013
"challenged"

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5960 Mar 25, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect you may have, inadvertently, swallowed some radioactive sperm...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/09/25/...
...and acquired serious brain damage. Do yourself a favor and get tested.
I'd call you a fuhktard but that would be insulting decent, sexually challeged people everywhere.
Funny, you counter with something that doesn't support you. Who where is says that plants only need water and air to survive.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5961 Mar 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
You know there to be a gazillion planets out there.
That proves your faith; we have evidence of lots of planets but no evidence of alien life.

Aura Mytha wrote:
Do you want them to all be barren and lifeless ?
I want Barsoomians on Mars but that doesn't make it true. There's a difference between fact and fiction, a standard of evidence. There's no evidence for extraterrestrial life.

Aura Mytha wrote:
Just so your creation story can be true.
I've never advocated any creation story; I wasn't there so I can't know how life began. This is the difference between A.M. and me, I know faith isn't based on science.

Aura Mytha wrote:
You are still confused it is not faith at all, perhaps some of it is wishful thinking, and the fact we do not want to be all there is.
Wishful thinking is similar to faith, neither are based on objective evidence. It doesn't matter what you want; facts stand on their own.

Aura Mytha wrote:
But the majority of scientists who think life is possible elsewhere are not exorcising faith when using statistical odds.
Scientists aren't posting on this forum. Besides, the issue isn't the possibility of alien life, of course ET life is possible. The issue is evidence, so far life has only been found on Earth.

Aura Mytha wrote:
I think since you are the eternal pessimist and have no imagination , you think the optimist is using faith because we see things in a different light.
Optimism and pessimism are both based on faith in assumptions about reality. I'm no pessimist, I favor exploring space, to learn the truth.

Location hidden

#5962 Mar 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the fktard who claimed all life is parasitic.

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

I proved yo wrong and I never said that they "only" need water and air.

I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't such a scumbag.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5963 Mar 25, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are the fktard who claimed all life is parasitic.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
I proved yo wrong and I never said that they "only" need water and air.
I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't such a scumbag.
Yes you did.

Location hidden

#5964 Mar 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you did.
You are the one who used the word "only", stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 38 min Richardfs 691
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Jaimie 151
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr superwilly 228,546
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Igor Trip 6
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 6 hr Patrick 140
Is Religion Childish? 10 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr _Bad Company 22,919

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE