Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#5596 Jan 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I think the goal of science is to make life better; many radical secularists believe the goal of science is to destroy God. This is where we differ.
The goal of science is to understand.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5597 Jan 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I think the goal of science is to make life better; many radical secularists believe the goal of science is to destroy God. This is where we differ.
Incorrect , the goal of science is to discover truth .
So we will have understanding and can explain phenomena.

If enlightenment destroys your mythology then your enemy is knowledge.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5598 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I never conceded Nugatory.
There were never any people who "really were" and "factually"
the son of an "factually existing deity", who was in "fact"
a real entity.
But said deity's were in "fact" *imaginary.
I never conceded Nugatory.
That these people who were the sons of imaginary gods "factually" and actually possessed supernatural powers.
But they in fact did *not factually or "actually" have or (possess) any supernatural or magical powers.
Or were truly the offspring of their "imaginary deity's", but in fact were "Not" the offspring of their imaginary deity's.
That's an awfully messy word salad.

Let me remind you of exactly what the argument is:

I am saying that the Egyptian people believed that the Pharaohs were gods. That their believe that the Pharaohs were gods is no more or less valid than the belief of any other group about any other god in any other religion.

The CHIEF difference between the Egypt's Pharaohs and the Viking's god Thor is that the Pharaohs were actually physically real people whereas Thor was not a physically real person.

Not only have I never claimed that the Pharaohs possessed real power, from my very first post I have made it clear that _ALL_ that matters is where or not the Egyptian people BELIEVED that they did.

So, if you want to counter that argument (as you have been trying to do unsuccessfully for nearly a year) you have several options:

#1) Prove that Egypt didn't exist.
#2) Prove that Egyptians didn't exist.
#3) Prove that NO Egyptians ever believed that the Pharaohs were gods.
#4) Prove that the Pharaohs didn't exist.
#5) Prove that Thor was physically real.

ANY of those arguments would work.

However, your latest tactic is to try and prove that the Egyptian Pharaohs didn't have any actual powers. A fact that NO ONE is arguing and which is still perfectly in line with my argument.

So, you've spent a year claiming I'm wrong. Go on. Prove it. If you can get ANY one of the above, you win. If you can get 2, you win forever.

Location hidden

#5599 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
I am saying that the Egyptian people believed that the Pharaohs were gods. That their believe that the Pharaohs were gods is no more or less valid than the belief of any other group about any other god in any other religion.
The CHIEF difference between the Egypt's Pharaohs and the Viking's god Thor is that the Pharaohs were actually physically real people whereas Thor was not a physically real person.
Not only have I never claimed that the Pharaohs possessed real power, from my very first post I have made it clear that _ALL_ that matters is where or not the Egyptian people BELIEVED that they did.
So, if you want to counter that argument (as you have been trying to do unsuccessfully for nearly a year) you have several options:
However, your latest tactic is to try and prove that the Egyptian Pharaohs didn't have any actual powers. A fact that NO ONE is arguing and which is still perfectly in line with my argument.
So, you've spent a year claiming I'm wrong. Go on. Prove it. If you can get ANY one of the above, you win. If you can get 2, you win forever.

Oh please your such a drama queen.
#3 "believed that the Pharaohs were gods"

"Belief"

Does not make reality.

That is the argument.
Not all the bs you just typed.

Sure people believe all sorts of shyt , the people in Heavens Gate believed they had to commit suicide in order to reach what they believed was an alien space craft following the Comet Hale–Bopp, which was at its brightest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_...

The argument is about belief nuglet.

Valley Village, CA

#5600 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please your such a drama queen.
#3 "believed that the Pharaohs were gods"
"Belief"
Does not make reality.
No one except your strawman is saying otherwise.

The title "god" does not in ANY WAY have ANYTHING to do with something being physically real.

It means "people believe this thing (real or not) has magical powers (which it doesn't actually have because they don't exist) and that it (real or not) requires worship."

Some things which are called gods are clearly NOT real: Thor.
Some things which are called gods are clearly REAL: a volcano.

The Pharaohs were REAL people who were called gods.

That's the ENTIRE argument. Has been for a year. This post is practically verbatim a post I put up six months ago.

You've been claiming that this position is wrong.

So, where's your evidence to back up that claim?
The argument is about belief nuglet.
Yes, and the people of Egypt believed that the Pharaohs were gods. End of argument.

You lose.

Location hidden

#5601 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
No one except your strawman is saying otherwise.
The title "god" does not in ANY WAY have ANYTHING to do with something being physically real.
It means "people believe this thing (real or not) has magical powers (which it doesn't actually have because they don't exist) and that it (real or not) requires worship."
Some things which are called gods are clearly NOT real: Thor.
Some things which are called gods are clearly REAL: a volcano.
The Pharaohs were REAL people who were called gods.
That's the ENTIRE argument. Has been for a year. This post is practically verbatim a post I put up six months ago.
You've been claiming that this position is wrong.
So, where's your evidence to back up that claim?
<quoted text>
Yes, and the people of Egypt believed that the Pharaohs were gods. End of argument.
You lose.
I told you a long time ago nuglet you can never win.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TNK...

Besides we all know Pharaohs weren't really gods.
Doesn't matter what nuglet's believe.
We don't call them gods and never have.
We call them pharaoh , and never heard anyone say Pharaoh god.
Not even Zahi Hawass thinks they were really gods.
The only time we do call them gods requires the explanation you just said.

"the people of Egypt "believed" that the Pharaohs were gods"
So whine another year about Pharaoh's not being a real gods.
Because nobody but you believes they were.

Valley Village, CA

#5602 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
"the people of Egypt "believed" that the Pharaohs were gods"
The rest of your post is just a pile of fallacies.

"We all know..."
"Not even this expert..."
"I've never heard it, so it's never been said..."

In the end, it comes down to this:

Just because you are not a member of a religion does not mean that that religion does not exist. Neither you nor I worship Zeus. That does not retroactively mean that no Greeks ever did. Neither you nor I worship Thor. That does not retroactively mean that no Vikings ever did.

Your DESPERATE attempt to claim that all "fake gods" never really counted is just an OBVIOUS ploy to protect your precious Jesus.

Well guess what? Just because I'm not a Christian does not mean that you don't get to call your God a god.

Religions exist, even ones that aren't Christianity. Those religions had gods.

As an educated person, I can see that. As an uneducated fundy, you can't get past the idea that anyone but your mommy could have any opinion about religion.

Location hidden

#5603 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The rest of your post is just a pile of fallacies.
"We all know..."
"Not even this expert..."
"I've never heard it, so it's never been said..."
In the end, it comes down to this:
Just because you are not a member of a religion does not mean that that religion does not exist. Neither you nor I worship Zeus. That does not retroactively mean that no Greeks ever did. Neither you nor I worship Thor. That does not retroactively mean that no Vikings ever did.
Your DESPERATE attempt to claim that all "fake gods" never really counted is just an OBVIOUS ploy to protect your precious Jesus.
Well guess what? Just because I'm not a Christian does not mean that you don't get to call your God a god.
Religions exist, even ones that aren't Christianity. Those religions had gods.
As an educated person, I can see that. As an uneducated fundy, you can't get past the idea that anyone but your mommy could have any opinion about religion.

No nuglet sorry no gods even God or GOD or gOd or goD
is real. Belief does not make anything real.
It's a label of an imaginary thing. They made gold cows and worshiped them and called it god, it wasn't god. They called men gods ,but they weren't gods. They made imaginary gods , they weren't god. There never has been a real god, only in the imagination was there ever one.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#5604 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a label of an imaginary thing. They made gold cows and worshiped them and called it god, it wasn't god. They called men gods ,but they weren't gods. They made imaginary gods , they weren't god. There never has been a real god, only in the imagination was there ever one.
That is a pretty stong stance on an absolute position.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5605 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Nt content with losing arguments, noggin wants to lose at word games too...

Location hidden

#5606 Jan 14, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is a pretty stong stance on an absolute position.
Creationist with no arguments to make.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#5607 Jan 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the no brain part comes in when people think that they can actually contact such things.
Are you saying that everyone at SETI have no brains?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#5608 Jan 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist with no arguments to make.
Are you a creationist pretending to be an atheist to try and make them look bad?

Location hidden

#5609 Jan 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Cmoletely wrong an deliberate lie. God doesn't even figure in e equation, because no serious scientists sets up experiments to determine god - something already proven to be impossible by its own definition.

Location hidden

#5610 Jan 15, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying that everyone at SETI have no brains?
Never said that, another attempt at lying about another atheists position by e proven creationist liar oil ticked.

Location hidden

#5611 Jan 15, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Are you a creationist pretending to be an atheist to try and make them look bad?
Is is coming from a creationist who was ousted . I know you're still sore at being found out. maybe you can go back to the discovery institute where they will pray you better again?

I'm sorry that you have no proof of god and that you're a proven liar. But it's your problem and not the problem on atheists..

Valley Village, CA

#5612 Jan 15, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'll repeat, you are the ONLY one making the claim that belief makes something real.

Ramses was real independent of belief. You can believe he didn't exist. Doesn't change the fact that he did exist.

Thor was not real indepedent of belief. You can believe he exists. Doesn't change the fact that he doesn't exist.

The ONLY way that belief matters is that it determines whether or not someone (real or not) gets labeled "a god".

You've ALREADY conceded that Thor is a god. You can't be on both sides of the debate without losing.

Valley Village, CA

#5613 Jan 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Is is coming from a creationist
Skippy, you call everyone who disagrees with you a liar and a creationist.

You have zero credibility

Location hidden

#5614 Jan 15, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'll repeat, you are the ONLY one making the claim that belief makes something real.
Ramses was real independent of belief. You can believe he didn't exist. Doesn't change the fact that he did exist.
Thor was not real indepedent of belief. You can believe he exists. Doesn't change the fact that he doesn't exist.
The ONLY way that belief matters is that it determines whether or not someone (real or not) gets labeled "a god".
You've ALREADY conceded that Thor is a god. You can't be on both sides of the debate without losing.

Yes Thor was an imaginary god in mythology.
Pharaoh was a man who posed as a god and Nebuchadnezzar was too.
So what? None of them were really gods they just pretended to be.
Jumper

Owensboro, KY

#5615 Jan 15, 2013
I guess we'll find out one morning when we wake up and see them on the news asking for our women.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min polymath257 232,659
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min Thinking 2,165
God' existence 1 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 1 hr Geezerjock 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr _Bad Company 1,436
Australia: black magic pervert retard 3 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 4 hr ChristineM 366