Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5556 Jan 13, 2013
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome back to earth!
From where? I'm one of the few rationalists on this forum.

Don't mistake the fact that I acknowledge that religion exists for endorsing it.

I just don't pretend like Skippy and Skippy's puppet Aura that because I don't accept someone's god that their religion retroactively never existed in the first place.
Jumper

Owensboro, KY

#5557 Jan 13, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mistake the fact that I acknowledge that religion exists for endorsing it.
I just don't pretend like Skippy and Skippy's puppet Aura that because I don't accept someone's god that their religion retroactively never existed in the first place.
Yea,I guess I know what you mean.

I've been attending this church for a few months and they have tossed out a few doctrines I have troluble accepting.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5558 Jan 13, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>

Get it straight dude, you're Skippy's puppet Nugget.
I acknowledge that religion exists and that they have gods.
But gods are just a invention of the insanity of religion.
Kind of like you , imaginary beings with/and/or with imaginary powers.

You had a chance to stop this senseless argument, but nooooooooo.
I guess you like arguing with the Nuggin defense of blame skippy strategy.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5559 Jan 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>....
Uhuh, the mother can DIE first before you right-wing nutbags will consider paying taxes to fund that abortion.
I don't know of anyone who would have a problem with tax payers' dollars being spent on an emergency procedure to save someone's life in a hospital. It's the squandering of hundreds of millions of dollars on elective abortions in clinics that most people find disgusting. The public should not have to pay for those.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#5560 Jan 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
They were fragments of DNA, nugatory.
http://www.news-about-space.org/astronomy-new...
That is not what any of them said.

Gee, I thought you were smarter than this.:(

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#5561 Jan 13, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>... I'm one of the few rationalists on this forum.
Not consistently.

Location hidden

#5562 Jan 13, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That is not what any of them said.
Gee, I thought you were smarter than this.:(

You and Nuggin are both taking it out of context.
Obviously if it were fragments of functional DNA it would have come from something alive. But they are in fact fragments of unassembled
DNA , at least that what they called it. But yes it is better called building blocks, but is a building block a fragment of a building?

You read what the headline say's , and blame me for repeating it.

http://www.ibtimes.com/dna-fragments-meteorit...

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#5563 Jan 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously if it were fragments of functional DNA it would have come from something alive. But they are in fact fragments of unassembled
DNA , at least that what they called it. But yes it is better called building blocks, but is a building block a fragment of a building?
You read what the headline say's , and blame me for repeating it.
http://www.ibtimes.com/dna-fragments-meteorit...
There IS nothing TO take out of context.

The article does not claim that those molecules are disassembled fragments of any creature's DNA. It also admits that they still have not been proven to come from anywhere but Earth. The article is completely pointless and must be "filler" for a slow science department.

Location hidden

#5564 Jan 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>There IS nothing TO take out of context.
The article does not claim that those molecules are disassembled fragments of any creature's DNA. It also admits that they still have not been proven to come from anywhere but Earth. The article is completely pointless and must be "filler" for a slow science department.

I find that attitude typically theist.
Discovery like this is usually met with hostility from those who grasp with theological reckoning.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#5565 Jan 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Right, aliens could exist and so could God.
Correct.
Brian_G wrote:
However, belief in alien life is based on faith, not evidence. Just as belief in God is based on faith, not logical proof or scientific evidence.
Belief in god IS based on faith. Accepting the possibility of alien life is based on evidence and probability. They are not the same. Bummer that you are unable to discern the distinction.

Valley Village, CA

#5566 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it straight dude, you're Skippy's puppet Nugget.
You think that Skippy created me as a fake account, then posted stuff, then created a thread as Skippy to insult the fact account that he created?

And you complain about me being a conspiracy theorist?
I acknowledge that religion exists and that they have gods.
But gods are just a invention of the insanity of religion.
Then you have just conceded the debate AGAIN.

If gods are a creation of the religion (which is MY argument) and Ramses is one such god (MY argument), then Ramses, who was ACTUALLY a real person, is a real person who was a god (My argument).
You had a chance to stop this senseless argument, but nooooooooo.
It's only senseless because you keep conceding and then taking it back when you realize that conceding means you lost the debate.

Valley Village, CA

#5567 Jan 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know of anyone who would have a problem with tax payers' dollars being spent on an emergency procedure to save someone's life in a hospital. It's the squandering of hundreds of millions of dollars on elective abortions in clinics that most people find disgusting. The public should not have to pay for those.
Nano, is the issue the AMOUNT of money or what it's being spent on?

If the total was not "hundreds of millions" (which it isn't by the way) but rather just "hundreds of dollars" would this be an issue.

Do you think that if I pointed out to you or anyone else that only 1 penny of your taxes goes to paying for someone's abortion, this issue would stop being raised? How about less than a penny?

OR, is the problem that you want what you think is a valid excuse to punish women for being sluts?

Valley Village, CA

#5568 Jan 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Not consistently.
It's true. I post in bursts. I am not consistently on the forum. However, I am consistently rational.

Valley Village, CA

#5569 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA
Aura, that's not taking it out of context. That's taking it IN context.

You were claiming that DNA was found.

That's like claiming "a rock wall was found on the moon".

Really? Well, no. Rocks were found. But if you arranged them in a row, they would make a wall.

This is science. Context is EVERYTHING. You've been deliberately lying about what these articles say because dishonesty isn't a problem for you, losing is.
But yes it is better called building blocks, but is a building block a fragment of a building?
No. A rock is a rock. It's not "part of a wall" until someone picks it up and places it there.

Valley Village, CA

#5570 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Discovery like this is usually met with hostility from those who grasp with theological reckoning.
LOL! What a pathetic over reach by a "Discover" magazine scientist.

The POINT here is that you are taking poorly titled articles, failing to read them, failing to comprehend what is ACTUALLY being said, and then making false claims based on what you THINK the article MIGHT be about rather than what is ACTUALLY going on.

Pretending that there's some sort of religious agenda behind REAL science holding pop articles written by hacks to a slightly higher standard than you see at the History Channel smacks of utter desperation.

Face it, Aura. You lied. You got caught. Just own up to it.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#5571 Jan 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It's "theist" to point out your inability to understand what's in an article?

You are pathetic.

There IS no discovery, yet.

Location hidden

#5572 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that Skippy created me as a fake account, then posted stuff, then created a thread as Skippy to insult the fact account that he created?
And you complain about me being a conspiracy theorist?
<quoted text>
Then you have just conceded the debate AGAIN.
If gods are a creation of the religion (which is MY argument) and Ramses is one such god (MY argument), then Ramses, who was ACTUALLY a real person, is a real person who was a god (My argument).
<quoted text>
It's only senseless because you keep conceding and then taking it back when you realize that conceding means you lost the debate.
There's no conspiracy , besides me quoting internet stories of dna in a rock, and you thinking I'm Skeptic. But the largest whopper conspiracy of them is how you keep saying I conceded that your real
Pharaoh god had real magic powers and was the son of an imaginary deity. Because I never conceded (my argument)

Location hidden

#5573 Jan 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It's "theist" to point out your inability to understand what's in an article?
You are pathetic.
There IS no discovery, yet.
Keep telling yourself that.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ar050049f

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#5574 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Nano, is the issue the AMOUNT of money or what it's being spent on?
If the total was not "hundreds of millions" (which it isn't by the way) but rather just "hundreds of dollars" would this be an issue.
Do you think that if I pointed out to you or anyone else that only 1 penny of your taxes goes to paying for someone's abortion, this issue would stop being raised? How about less than a penny?
OR, is the problem that you want what you think is a valid excuse to punish women for being sluts?
It's not about what the cost is, it's about the nerve of some other woman expecting anybody else to pay for her bullshyt behavior. She should pay for her own contraceptives and her own abortions too. "Her body, her mistakes, her fkg responsibility, her *choice*/abortion, her business"?, etc, as the the pro-choicers like to say! If it's none of my business then it also shouldn't cost me anything. Only a hypocritical whore wants it both ways. Oh, and the loser horndog who carelessly impregnated a woman he would never consider marrying.

It should be her bill to pay and nobody elses'; her womb, her business.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#5575 Jan 14, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Conservatives oppose allowing abortions to be illegal (and not paid for by taxes)_even_ in the case where the mother's life is at risk.
This has nothing to do with money and EVERYTHING to do with control of women's sexuality.
Further, I am morally opposed to people getting organ transplants. Should tax payers be force to pay for that?
I'm morally opposed to people who are given any medication after the age of 50. Tax payers on the hook for that?
I'm morally opposed to people being allowed to have more than 2 children. Tax payers covering that?
Guess what? Your opposition to something does not render it unworthy of public funding.
<quoted text>
First of all, "almost all" is not all.
Second, you can not murder the unborn. It is not a person, it can not be "murdered".
<quoted text>
You made the argument that the END result is all that matters. That ethics and objective are irrelevant.
The ends result of genocide is that the people not killed have much better lives, more access to resources, etc.
Your argument. Your morality.
Keep lying.

Any woman who enters a U.S. hospital emergency room who needs an immediate, life-saving abortion can get it done at taxpayers' expense. That's the law.

Nobody has a problem with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min thetruth 233,077
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 54 min woodtick57 2,610
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 1 hr thetruth 6
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr thetruth 23,256
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr thetruth 168
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 1 hr thetruth 14
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 1,454
More from around the web