Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments (Page 269)

Showing posts 5,361 - 5,380 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

You'd think that such "moral" people as theists would stop lying about god even after these facts lay bare...but no - they are content to lie about god all day long even after its been disproven....

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

DanFromSmithville wrote:
To an extent I agree with you. However, we can infer the existence of alien life based on the fact that life exists here on a planet circling a certain type star. Than you do the math.
You can't 'do the math' because the variables are conjecture, not based on any evidence. The only thing we know for certain; life exists on Earth. There is no scientific evidence of life existing anywhere else in the universe.

DanFromSmithville wrote:
This doesn't mean intelligent life, or life that runs around in starships, reads poetry or invents deities. It could, but it isn't that specific.
Nor is there any evidence of God. Belief in alien life is as faith based as belief in God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You can't 'do the math' because the variables are conjecture, not based on any evidence. The only thing we know for certain; life exists on Earth. There is no scientific evidence of life existing anywhere else in the universe.
<quoted text>Nor is there any evidence of God. Belief in alien life is as faith based as belief in God.
Wrong bacteria is proven to exist on other planets. It's not faith, its statistically more likely than god existing.

If alien life exists, it has to obey the same rules of the universe that we do - this is not true of the god claim.

You try to create a fraudulent bridge between alien life & god (proven impossibility)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
Then stop spreading your creationist lies then.
I've never posted anything about creationism; I've posted about critical thinking. I support I support critical thinking in education and science.

-Skeptic- wrote:
You're a creationist, we've heard all your "arguments" before.
I don't support creationism because it introduces an unnecessary variable. I reject creationism because of Occam's Razor, presupposing God's existence isn't needed to examine physical reality.

-Skeptic- wrote:
Bacteria are proven to exist on other planets - its science that proved it.
I believe this statement is untrue; if you have other information, please cite.

-Skeptic- wrote:
If you're talking about little green men, even that is more statistically likely than an impossible and disproven god.
I disagree, belief in alien life is as faith based as belief in God.

-Skeptic- wrote:
Nope, almost all religious people think god is real - its may be based on faith, but faith in god is entirely based on stupidity, ignorance and a lack of curiosity about the world and how it works.
Most religious people understand their belief in God is based on faith. I've found here and in life; most atheists confuse their faith with science, math and enlightenment.

-Skeptic- wrote:
Atheists don't convince themselves of anything, reality, evidence and facts reveal the true nature of the world and we prove it every single day with every new piece of knowledge advancing human understanding. This all happens while primitive people point and clutch their rag books full of ignorance, hatred, immorality and lies, and try to tell us this is the answer to the universe....
-Skeptic- wrote:
There is no substitute for science.
Here's one area where we agree. I wonder if we agree that science requires testable theory, experimental evidence and critical thinking.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
...You try to create a fraudulent bridge between alien life & god (proven impossibility)
Please prove the impossibility of God.

As far as I know about science, it's impossible to prove something does not exist and only possible to prove something does exist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
God can't exist - there's no definition of god that has any meaning.
Definition of GOD

1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b: Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god

-Skeptic- wrote:
Also in the entire history of the planet not a single theist has been able to provide even a morsel of evidence of god.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or "appeal to ignorance" (where "ignorance" stands for: "lack of evidence to the contrary"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false, it is "generally accepted" (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there is insufficient investigation and therefore insufficient information to prove the proposition satisfactorily to be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,(1) true,(2) false,(3) unknown between true or false, and (4) being unknowable (among the first three).[1] In debates, appeals to ignorance are sometimes used to shift the burden of proof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ig...

-Skeptic- wrote:
Every day that goes by with no proof of god, in addition to daily advancements in science and understanding, is another day that the grip of the mental illness of faith loosens its harmful effect on humanity.
I disagree, religion has created wonderful institutions like universities, hospitals, orphanages and good philanthropic works. The day I see as many atheist organizations organizing similar institutions; I'll reconsider why I think religions help make people behave better.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never posted anything about creationism; I've posted about critical thinking. I support I support critical thinking in education and science.
<quoted text>I don't support creationism because it introduces an unnecessary variable. I reject creationism because of Occam's Razor, presupposing God's existence isn't needed to examine physical reality.
<quoted text>I believe this statement is untrue; if you have other information, please cite.
<quoted text>I disagree, belief in alien life is as faith based as belief in God.
<quoted text>Most religious people understand their belief in God is based on faith. I've found here and in life; most atheists confuse their faith with science, math and enlightenment.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>Here's one area where we agree. I wonder if we agree that science requires testable theory, experimental evidence and critical thinking.
1. Alien life is plausible - there's no evidence against it and plenty that supports it.

2. God is impossible - there is and never has been any evidence for it existing & there's lot of evidence against it existing. The main problem is that the defition refers to something meaningless.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

At the end of the day, I don't believe in my keyboard. I don't need to believe in my keyboard - because it's actually there - it's real.

If god was really there, you wouldn't need to believe in him.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You can't 'do the math' because the variables are conjecture, not based on any evidence. The only thing we know for certain; life exists on Earth. There is no scientific evidence of life existing anywhere else in the universe.
<quoted text>Nor is there any evidence of God. Belief in alien life is as faith based as belief in God.

I can tell you where your argument fails.
There is tangible evidence it is possible life for life to not only exist elsewhere in space, but may have originated from space.

1. The building blocks necessary for the creation of life have been found to exist in space.
2. Organic chemistry exists in space.
3. Water exists in space.
4. A NASA Scientist found a meteorite that may contain fossil cyanobacteria was found though it is inconclusive , it is compelling as there is no other explanation of what it could be.
5. Water is found in meteorites.
6. Sugar has been found to exist in space.
7. Methane has been found to exist on other worlds , while it could have other explanation it is a byproduct of life.
8. The largest evidence yet DNA may have an extraterrestrial origin, meaning panspermia is the reason life exists here.
Which would mean life could exist anywhere the conditions were right for it to develop.

DNA was found in a meteorite.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011...

So you see , there is a rationale of indirect evidence that points to the possibility. This is an evidence driven conclusion that has nothing to do with faith, and everything to do with knowledge.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>I disagree, religion has created wonderful institutions like universities, hospitals, orphanages and good philanthropic works. The day I see as many atheist organizations organizing similar institutions; I'll reconsider why I think religions help make people behave better.
Its all PR to spread your cult around and so that your believers think that by doing good they'll get into heaven. Atheists and humanists do good because they want to, not because of some fictitious threat on a non-existence afterlife.

You apologists are alike in many ways - very quick to skirt around the very real hatred and ignorance that your cults spread.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
Its all PR to spread your cult around and so that your believers think that by doing good they'll get into heaven. Atheists and humanists do good because they want to, not because of some fictitious threat on a non-existence afterlife. You apologists are alike in many ways - very quick to skirt around the very real hatred and ignorance that your cults spread.
I don't care why a person does good work as much as I care that he does good work. If someone does good work because they want to avoid hell and go to heaven; I'm just happy that they do good. This is where we differ.

Abolitionism was led by religious people. Name an atheist organization that has done such good. Name the hospitals, orphanages, homeless shelters, food lines and philanthropic organizations built and run by atheists; cite their good works.

Until those atheists can compete with religions; I support religion.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care why a person does good work as much as I care that he does good work. If someone does good work because they want to avoid hell and go to heaven; I'm just happy that they do good. This is where we differ.
Abolitionism was led by religious people. Name an atheist organization that has done such good. Name the hospitals, orphanages, homeless shelters, food lines and philanthropic organizations built and run by atheists; cite their good works.
Foundation Beyond Belief, Amnesty International, Doctors Without Boarders, The Red Cross, Planned Parenthood, Water.org , Plan International, Oxfam International, EVERY hospital that is not specifically a religious hospital is by definition a secular hospital ...

The list is too long for a single posting, you might look at " http://www.thinkatheist.com/notes/Secular_cha... ;

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Th list is bogus, I asked for the names of hospitals, orphanages, homeless shelters, food lines and philanthropic organizations built and run by atheists, you give me a list that includes abortion providers.

More specifically:
Amnesty International - Cofounder Peter Benenson, born a Jew who converted to Catholicism.

The Red Cross founded by Henry Dunant, he also founded the Geneva chapter of the YMCA and his family raised him as a Calvanist.

Oxfam was originally founded in Oxford, UK, in 1942 as the Oxford Committee for Famine Relief by a group of Quakers and others.

Is there a hospital or university built by one of the groups on your list in your hometown?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care why a person does good work as much as I care that he does good work. If someone does good work because they want to avoid hell and go to heaven; I'm just happy that they do good. This is where we differ.
Atheism isn't a religion, so you can't compare it. It's a lack of belief in god, not a set of dogma or stories and so its intention isn't to be a vehicle for charity or war or anything else, it just describes a person's lack of faith.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Religions help teach how to become a better person. Atheism can't do that.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Your request to appear logical and attempt at appeal to reason in such endeavors, is respectfully denied.
As I never argued any of those points nutgin.
But actually and exactly were always the validity of supernatural claim and authenticity of divinity of these people in question.
A few things quite simply beyond the scope of your comprehension.
Don't squirm too much though or twist around trying to wriggle your head free , you could give yourself a headache or burst a vein of something. Your world view will always be anal in matters,
with it planted so far up your own arse.
I got part way through reading this and realized that you were attempting to use words you didn't understand.

Again, is there someone there who has English as a primary language? Or someone who has graduated from an American high school? Anyone?

Or, alternately, stop trying to pretend you are more educated than you really are and just try and state something in plain English.

Honestly.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong bacteria is proven to exist on other planets. It's not faith, its statistically more likely than god existing.
Skippy, there you go using "proof" when you don't understand the word.

No, bacteria has not been proven to exist on other planets.
It's probable.
It has _NOT_ been _proven_.

Saying that something is "statistically more likely" is not proof.

It is statistically more likely that no one will win the lottery than for there to be a winner. However, there are LOTS of winners.

And lastly, I have conclusively proven that lots of gods have and still do exist. You have yet to offer a counter argument.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
God can't exist - there's no definition of god that has any meaning.
This statement is a contradiction. You can't proclaim that something doesn't exist if you admit that you don't understand the definition of the word.
Also in the entire history of the planet not a single theist has been able to provide even a morsel of evidence of god.
The Pyramids.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Definition of GOD
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b: Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god
Would you agree that by definition 2, Ramses or any other pharaoh would be a god?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
I got part way through reading this and realized that you were attempting to use words you didn't understand.
Again, is there someone there who has English as a primary language? Or someone who has graduated from an American high school? Anyone?
Or, alternately, stop trying to pretend you are more educated than you really are and just try and state something in plain English.
Honestly.
Yes Nuglips we get to beyond the scope of your comprehension,
really quick.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,361 - 5,380 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••