Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments
5,341 - 5,360 of 6,103 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
But nugglet Think carefully before you say you found a real god.
We find real people everywhere.
We can go to "Egypt" and find them.
We can go anywhere and find what you call explosives.
But if they cannot explode.
They are duds , kinda like your claim.
Knowing is half the battle. You came without knowing or showing.
Here's the dictionary definition of explosives:

(n) a chemical substance that undergoes a rapid chemical change (with the production of gas) on being heated or struck

If it does not explode, then it does not meet the criteria set out in the definition and there is not an explosive.

What was the criteria set out in the definition of "god"?

Do people BELIEVE that this person has supernatural powers.

So, if people BELIEVE it, then the criteria is met.

Exact same thing I've been saying for a year.

REALLY not hard to grasp.

Why are you having such trouble with it?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
(n) a chemical substance that undergoes a rapid chemical change (with the production of gas) on being heated or struck
If it does not explode, then it does not meet the criteria set out in the definition and there is not an explosive.
Capital letters, the refuge of an argument loser...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to say that dynamite isn't called an explosive until it's exploded?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
If we all believe you are a douchebag, is the criteria met? No, it's because you've proven to us that you are a douchebag. Same applies toe definition of god. It's all been covered already...

You just can't admit being wrong...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly Pharaoh was a explosive , that in fact could not explode.

A DUD!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
No proof of god - you can stop lying about god now. I think your discovery institute is calling you back because you've failed to convert any atheists this month.
I'm not writing about God, I'm writing about belief in aliens. I have no interest in converting atheists. I haven't disclosed any information about my religious beliefs.

People believe in aliens because of faith, not science. At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith while atheists convince themselves they believe because of 'science' or enlightenment.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not writing about God, I'm writing about belief in aliens. I have no interest in converting atheists. I haven't disclosed any information about my religious beliefs.
People believe in aliens because of faith, not science. At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith while atheists convince themselves they believe because of 'science' or enlightenment.
Yet understanding seems to be a concept you have a great deal of difficulty with. No one claimed to believe in aliens. We accept the mathematical probability that alien life exists. It may not but the odds appear to be that it does.

Now, will you need this rewritten in single syllable words?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not writing about God, I'm writing about belief in aliens. I have no interest in converting atheists. I haven't disclosed any information about my religious beliefs.
Lets cover the idea of lying now?

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Capital letters, the refuge of an argument loser...
Actually, that would be the constant F bombs that you've been dropping.

I use capital letter words to emphasize points. It helps people like you follow along because the big words are often too hard for you.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to say that dynamite isn't called an explosive until it's exploded?
No. I know, lots of big words. So hard for poor little Skippy.

See if you can get your mommy to help you.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly Pharaoh was a explosive , that in fact could not explode.
A DUD!
Honestly, Aura. At this point your argument tactic is apparently to play stupid.

I don't know who you think this is going to convince. It seems to me that the smart thing to do would be to either directly address the argument or admit that you've been beaten.

Continuing to play "Duh, I don't get it" just isn't getting you anywhere.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, Aura. At this point your argument tactic is apparently to play stupid.
I don't know who you think this is going to convince. It seems to me that the smart thing to do would be to either directly address the argument or admit that you've been beaten.
Continuing to play "Duh, I don't get it" just isn't getting you anywhere.
We all know little girls like Nougat will never "get it" but we are past that point now. It doesn't really matter
to the pigeons they were dumb birds , they were still hopping and tweeting knocking the chess pieces over crapping everywhere and being all Nuggin again who cares what level of stupid you are
nugatory? You will just flay away like always.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> We all know little girls like Nougat will never "get it" but we are past that point now. It doesn't really matter
to the pigeons they were dumb birds , they were still hopping and tweeting knocking the chess pieces over crapping everywhere and being all Nuggin again who cares what level of stupid you are
nugatory? You will just flay away like always.
Is there someone there who speaks English?

Is the fundamental problem here as simple as your inability to grasp the English language?

I'm serious. Your posts have gotten significantly less coherent. Your thinking has stayed at the Skippy level of deliberate ignorance.

I mean, this really isn't that hard to grasp and yet you simply can't get it.

I completely grasp your "argument", unfortunately your "argument" is based solely on your personal opinion and is neither backed up by examples nor by any solid sources.

To paraphrase:
All definitions of things refer only to something real. There can be no word which describes something which does not exist in reality - even if it previously existed or could potentially exist in the future.

That's why we don't have words like "unicorn" or "ghost" or "irrational numbers" in the English language. Since those things are inherently indescribable and do not _actually_ exist. There are no words for them.

Of course, your argument has repeated failed in that you continue to use words that you believe don't exist to describe things which you believe don't exist, making you at best a hypocrite. At worst, retarded.

Meanwhile, my argument has stayed utterly simple for a year now:

The ancient Egyptians worshiped the Pharaohs as gods, therefore the Pharaohs were as much gods as any other deity. No more or less valid than Thor, Zeus or Jesus.

I understand that gets under your skin because "how dare anyone attack Jesus" but get over it. Your Jewish buddy isn't any better than Ramses.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there someone there who speaks English?
Is the fundamental problem here as simple as your inability to grasp the English language?
I'm serious. Your posts have gotten significantly less coherent. Your thinking has stayed at the Skippy level of deliberate ignorance.
I mean, this really isn't that hard to grasp and yet you simply can't get it.
I completely grasp your "argument", unfortunately your "argument" is based solely on your personal opinion and is neither backed up by examples nor by any solid sources.
To paraphrase:
All definitions of things refer only to something real. There can be no word which describes something which does not exist in reality - even if it previously existed or could potentially exist in the future.
That's why we don't have words like "unicorn" or "ghost" or "irrational numbers" in the English language. Since those things are inherently indescribable and do not _actually_ exist. There are no words for them.
Of course, your argument has repeated failed in that you continue to use words that you believe don't exist to describe things which you believe don't exist, making you at best a hypocrite. At worst, retarded.
Meanwhile, my argument has stayed utterly simple for a year now:
The ancient Egyptians worshiped the Pharaohs as gods, therefore the Pharaohs were as much gods as any other deity. No more or less valid than Thor, Zeus or Jesus.
I understand that gets under your skin because "how dare anyone attack Jesus" but get over it. Your Jewish buddy isn't any better than Ramses.
Your request to appear logical and attempt at appeal to reason in such endeavors, is respectfully denied.
As I never argued any of those points nutgin.
But actually and exactly were always the validity of supernatural claim and authenticity of divinity of these people in question.
A few things quite simply beyond the scope of your comprehension.

Don't squirm too much though or twist around trying to wriggle your head free , you could give yourself a headache or burst a vein of something. Your world view will always be anal in matters,
with it planted so far up your own arse.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
Yet understanding seems to be a concept you have a great deal of difficulty with. No one claimed to believe in aliens. We accept the mathematical probability that alien life exists. It may not but the odds appear to be that it does. Now, will you need this rewritten in single syllable words?
Right, aliens could exist and so could God.

However, belief in alien life is based on faith, not evidence. Just as belief in God is based on faith, not logical proof or scientific evidence.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Right, aliens could exist and so could God.
However, belief in alien life is based on faith, not evidence. Just as belief in God is based on faith, not logical proof or scientific evidence.
I suppose that all depends on where you are from.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
To an extent I agree with you. However, we can infer the existence of alien life based on the fact that life exists here on a planet circling a certain type star. Than you do the math.

This doesn't mean intelligent life, or life that runs around in starships, reads poetry or invents deities. It could, but it isn't that specific.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:

You are very confused , the idea that alien life could exist is not a belief system grounded in faith. Unless you are in some cult that promotes or in fact claim they have had contact with them.
Like Heaven Gate or similar.

The notions of god wouldn't have to be grounded in belief either, aka: agnostic that neither deny or accept gods but leave the possibility open.

But most who do in fact believe in god, are a members of a belief system based and grounded in faith.

So in a way scientists could be agnostic in nature to aliens and gods. But we can take this a step further and the agnostic scientist could examine the evidence and determine it is indeed possible that alien life exists, but do not know for sure.
From this type approach the scientist might say
it is more probable that some type alien life could exist than a specific god or gods.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not writing about God, I'm writing about belief in aliens. I have no interest in converting atheists.
Then stop spreading your creationist lies then.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>

I haven't disclosed any information about my religious beliefs.
You're a creationist, we've heard all your "arguments" before.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
People believe in aliens because of faith, not science.
Bacteria are proven to exist on other planets - its science that proved it. If you're talking about little green men, even that is more statistically likely than an impossible and disproven god.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith
Nope, almost all religious people think god is real - its may be based on faith, but faith in god is entirely based on stupidity, ignorance and a lack of curiosity about the world and how it works.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
while atheists convince themselves they believe because of 'science' or enlightenment.
Atheists don't convince themselves of anything, reality, evidence and facts reveal the true nature of the world and we prove it every single day with every new piece of knowledge advancing human understanding.

This all happens while primitive people point and clutch their rag books full of ignorance, hatred, immorality and lies, and try to tell us this is the answer to the universe....

There is no substitute for science.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
God can't exist - there's no definition of god that has any meaning. Also in the entire history of the planet not a single theist has been able to provide even a morsel of evidence of god.

Every day that goes by with no proof of god, in addition to daily advancements in science and understanding, is another day that the grip of the mental illness of faith loosens its harmful effect on humanity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Buck Crick 224,602
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 48 min CunningLinguist 229
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr CunningLinguist 257
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 1 hr CunningLinguist 70,963
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 2 hr CunningLinguist 28
Introducing The Universal Religion 8 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 8 hr Patrick 397
•••
•••