Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments
5,301 - 5,320 of 6,103 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>A lampoon? So, tell me which of his, or for that matter, your postings aren't lampooning? How about some small bit of designation for those post which are meant to be lampooning?
No problem. Here you go:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TNK...

You jumped in past page 260. If you join in posting in complete and total utter ignorance of this thread's LONG history that ain't our problem.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Parody, lampoon? It looked just like all of the rest of your posts. Finanagled into whatever it wasn't when it began.
"Whatever"? If you know exactly what my argument is then you should be able to describe the specifics of my alleged finagling. However if you are merely jumping in to support a fellow atheist in his debate then I suggest you start by bringing yourself up to speed, otherwise your criticisms will be little more than "You guys are just MEAN!!!"

I'm mean to fundies all the time yet you guys rarely have a problem with it then.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>I read it exactly as it was written
Ah, so you're a fundamentalist literalist! Great. Just what the evolution forum needs, another one.
seems like you two do quite a bit of this waffling.
If you don't like it you can always leave. Or you can always join in and get yourself up to speed on this thread. Or you can make lame jokes about me and Nuggin just cuz we happen to disagree with one of your pals. Like a mascot. The Bobob-Lah Yin to Buck Crick's Yang.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you're a fundamentalist literalist! Great. Just what the evolution forum needs, another one.
<quoted text>
If you don't like it you can always leave. Or you can always join in and get yourself up to speed on this thread. Or you can make lame jokes about me and Nuggin just cuz we happen to disagree with one of your pals. Like a mascot. The Bobob-Lah Yin to Buck Crick's Yang.
You post one thing, but it's not what you mean? Yeah, I got that, it is what I've been saying all along. Gotcha, you're waffling.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Except I accept that bacteria are real. Skippy's position is that if there is no evidence for something then it does not exist, period. Pre-microscope there was no evidence of bacteria. Ergo under the Skippy scientific method they did not exist.
Never said that - typical straw man from the dude. I said god isn't real - it's a fact, whether or not you accept it as a fact depends on how stupid and ignorant you are of evidence and reason.

It also depends upon how intellectually honest you are.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said that - typical straw man from the dude. I said god isn't real - it's a fact, whether or not you accept it as a fact depends on how stupid and ignorant you are of evidence and reason.
It also depends upon how intellectually honest you are.
Of the two of us, I have no lied. Therefore my intellectual honesty is in question only by the ignorant, and intellectually dishonest people like yourself.

So could you describe again the scientific test you performed that falsified the non-falsifiable? Thanks in advance for not bothering as usual.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>You post one thing, but it's not what you mean? Yeah, I got that, it is what I've been saying all along. Gotcha, you're waffling.
If so then what are you here for?(shrug)

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it matter why? Better question, what's it to you?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>

You people call us yanks , is it because we like yanking your chains>? Prolly considering ....we yanked on the chains you made for us until they broke free.
Maybe you should call us pokes now. Cowpokes um ....poke poke. lol

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You people call us yanks , is it because we like yanking your chains>? Prolly considering ....we yanked on the chains you made for us until they broke free.
Maybe you should call us pokes now. Cowpokes um ....poke poke. lol
It's short for yankee.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's short for yankee.

I yankee your chain ...poke poke

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
At least you admit that you only attempted and did not succeed, that's a start.
I admit I don't know if extraterrestrial life exists.

K.K. believes in alien life on the basis of faith; not science.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I admit I don't know if extraterrestrial life exists.
Now you are ignoring the facts again simply to make up more assertions.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I admit I don't know if extraterrestrial life exists.
Science allows us to determine probabilities.

For example:

It is probable that there are at least 100 unidentified species of beetle living in Brazil right now.

The only "evidence" I have for this is a history of discovering MANY unidentified species of beetles, the fact that Brazil is very large and the fact that there is a lot of places in Brazil in which beetle could exist.

I have ZERO evidence of any unidentified species actual in Brazil right now.

It _could_ be that we have identified every species of beetle already and that if we search every inch of Brazil we'll only ever find species we've already seen.

However, science can tell us that it is much more likely that SOMEWHERE in Brazil there are at least 100 unidentified species.

That's not faith, that's an educated prediction based on the facts that we have and the history of discovery.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

We have a vast body of knowledge about Brazilian beetles but no knowledge of any extraterrestrial life. There's a big difference; assuming the existence of alien life is a leap of faith.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
We have a vast body of knowledge about Brazilian beetles but no knowledge of any extraterrestrial life. There's a big difference; assuming the existence of alien life is a leap of faith.
Nope. It's called probabilities.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Or put another way:

We have zero knowledge of any unknown Brazilian beetles. We do have vast knowledge of different ways in which life can survive in extreme environments (cold seeps, black smokers, deep mines).

There's even bacteria using radiation as an energy source.

It's not an assumption to say: Given the evidence we have, it's probable that alien life exists somewhere else in the Universe.

Just like it's not an assumption to say: Given the evidence we have, it's probable that an unknown species of beetle exists in Brazil.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:

Assuming is a disingenuous term to use for predictability.
It in itself is a question not a statement. We already know the odds that life will develop on a planet in a galaxy is 100%.
The odds even only 1 planet will develop life in a galaxy of 400 billion stars with possibly 1600-3600 billion planets per galaxy.
Or three trillion six hundred thousand billion.
There are an estimated 125 billion galaxies.
Now

3,600,000,000,000 x 125,000,000,000 = possible places life could have arisen.
or about 9^35th
900,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000.

That's a few chances life could be out there wouldn't you say?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Let's don't count moons . lol
But they add to the possibility too.
But if the odds are 100& that 1 planet in a galaxy of 200-400 billion stars will produce life.

Then the prediction is there are 125 billion
planets with life on them. This is the lowest estimate.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
Or put another way: We have zero knowledge of any unknown Brazilian beetles.
I disagree, we know how many species of Brazilian beetles were discovered last year so we have knowledge of Brazilian beetles that were unknown as of 2011, and if we know how many species were discovered in 2011 then we have knowledge of unknown Brazilian beetles as of 2010. This body of knowledge extends back for hundreds of years.

Nuggin wrote:
We do have vast knowledge of different ways in which life can survive in extreme environments (cold seeps, black smokers, deep mines).
But no knowledge of life beyond Earth.

Nuggin wrote:
There's even bacteria using radiation as an energy source.
Plants use light radiation for photosynthesis.

Nuggin wrote:
It's not an assumption to say: Given the evidence we have, it's probable that alien life exists somewhere else in the Universe.
That assumption is based on faith; not experience, not science. You can't pin down the probability so it's pseudoscience.

Nuggin wrote:
Just like it's not an assumption to say: Given the evidence we have, it's probable that an unknown species of beetle exists in Brazil.
No, we know how many species are discovered each year so statistically we can determine how many unknown species exist based on past experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••