Aliens and evolution

Aliens and evolution

There are 6309 comments on the Washington Times story from Jun 19, 2012, titled Aliens and evolution. In it, Washington Times reports that:

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#5296 Jan 7, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is no-one could prove bacteria in 1000 AD because bacteria aren't real.
This is what happens when you enter into a debate halfway through without understanding the positions or arguments.

Dude is pointing out the error in Skippy's logic, in that Skippy has declared that if there isn't any scientific evidence for something then it doesn't exist.

In 1000AD, there was no "scientific evidence" for bacteria, therefore _by Skippy's argument_ bacteria didn't exist in 1000AD.

Dude is lampooning Skippy.

You would know that if you had read ANY of the last 250 pages.

Los Angeles, CA

#5297 Jan 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does matter if we can fail to distinguish between false claims and reality then every ruthless dictator that claims to be a god is a god dipshit. And yoou walk right into stupid.
Again, you've fallen back to "Pharaoh wasn't a real god, not like Jesus."

By saying that the Pharaoh's claim to godhood is "false" you are inherently implying that there is a REAL "true" god which meets the standards you have set. Standard which you have yet to reveal to anyone on the forum.

Additionally, you can't use terms like "dictator" if you reject terms like "god". They are both merely labels based on people's beliefs.

Saddam was a dictator because the people believed he had the power to be in charge. If NO ONE in Iraq believed he had power, then he would not have had power.

Los Angeles, CA

#5298 Jan 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Being dishonest is something you seem to do quite a bit.
Well, I fight fire with fire. Since you have both changed your position on settled issues and deliberately lied about my position, I figure it's only fair to give you back a serving of what you are dishing out.

Now, tell me again. Were you wrong when you said Thor was a god, or were you wrong when you said you were wrong about being wrong before?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#5299 Jan 7, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you've fallen back to "Pharaoh wasn't a real god, not like Jesus."
By saying that the Pharaoh's claim to godhood is "false" you are inherently implying that there is a REAL "true" god which meets the standards you have set. Standard which you have yet to reveal to anyone on the forum.
Additionally, you can't use terms like "dictator" if you reject terms like "god". They are both merely labels based on people's beliefs.
Saddam was a dictator because the people believed he had the power to be in charge. If NO ONE in Iraq believed he had power, then he would not have had power.
WTF does Jesus have to do with it?
As far as I'm concerned Jesus is an imaginary god with zero substance. Pharaoh is a god with imaginary powers.
Both do not qualify. Saddam tried to give himself god status, if we hadn't destroyed his regime utterly and completely capturing him to be hung he would have succeeded.

I love how you inject bs into whatever is said , and with your intellectual dishonesty it's hard to find a redeeming quality.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#5300 Jan 8, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I fight fire with fire. Since you have both changed your position on settled issues and deliberately lied about my position, I figure it's only fair to give you back a serving of what you are dishing out.
Now, tell me again. Were you wrong when you said Thor was a god, or were you wrong when you said you were wrong about being wrong before?
The problem is this nougat , we named many things god thinking it was something that it is not. gods are like honest politicians , there aren't any.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#5301 Jan 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I'm concerned Jesus is an imaginary god with zero substance. Pharaoh is a god with imaginary powers.
Both do not qualify. Saddam tried to give himself god status, if we hadn't destroyed his regime utterly and completely capturing him to be hung he would have succeeded.
I love how you inject bs into whatever is said , and with your intellectual dishonesty it's hard to find a redeeming quality.
Here I thought that we went after Saddam Because he wanted to sell oil in euros not dollars... I mean, he had weapons of mass destruction.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#5302 Jan 8, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Here I thought that we went after Saddam Because he wanted to sell oil in euros not dollars... I mean, he had weapons of mass destruction.

I agree but it is also true he had some Iraqis believe he was a god, he claimed divinity by being the descendant of Nebuchadnezzar.
He claimed supernatural power and immortality through cloning and deception.(particularly by using doubles and tunnels so he could appear to have move from one place to another impossibly)These techniques are no different than in pharaohs day.

Shall we call Saddam a god? I think not but he did qualify just as much as a pharaoh.

The petrodollar scheme is real and quite applies even now. The tensions will get worse leading to more conflicts as Empires collide over resources. At this very moment there is another brewing between Japan China and Taiwan though they seemed to have discounted Taiwan entirely. Fortunately for us Canada's tar sands
are enough to keep us from more disputes for awhile. But we are to see more conflicts , you can bet money on it.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#5303 Jan 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
It's called your support of IDC apologetics in public school science classes. Well some of the more right-right wingers might disagree there. I wouldn't. But you were happy to ignore religious apologetics under the excuse of "critical thinking".
I challenge you to post a quote in support of 'apologetics'; I've always written religious belief is based on faith, not reason. I've never posted support for Intelligent Design.

I do support teaching critical thinking in EVERY discipline, including science. If that bothers you; maybe more of your 'science' is faith based than you would like to believe.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5304 Jan 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I challenge you to post a quote in support of 'apologetics'; I've always written religious belief is based on faith, not reason. I've never posted support for Intelligent Design.
I do support teaching critical thinking in EVERY discipline, including science. If that bothers you; maybe more of your 'science' is faith based than you would like to believe.
science is everyone's not the preserve of scientists. at the end of the day you're a liar with no proof of god.

Location hidden

#5305 Jan 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Being dishonest is something you seem to do quite a bit.
Nuggin's dishonesty truly has no bounds - he'll accuse you of denying the moon exists when he gets smacked down the in a fact based argument.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5306 Jan 8, 2013
<quoted text>Bacteria can now be proven to be real, and so with that proof came the smell of pooh? Are you saying that before 1000 AD pooh didn't smell?
That you do not believe that bacteria are real, would imply that your shit don't stink, for if it did you'd have proof of bacteria in action? So tell us.
I'm sorry, I thought your name was Reason Personified. Apparently you were mistaken.

Location hidden

#5307 Jan 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, I thought your name was Reason Personified. Apparently you were mistaken.
haha, good one. no really. How's that burden of proof coming along

*The Dude runs off again*

Thanks, just checking.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5308 Jan 8, 2013
<quoted text>The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is no-one could prove bacteria in 1000 AD because bacteria aren't real.
Well done. You fell for a Skippy parody. Of course you would know this if you had taken part in this thread over the past few weeks.'Look before you leap' would be good advice here.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5309 Jan 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does matter if we can fail to distinguish between false claims and reality then every ruthless dictator that claims to be a god is a god dipshit. And yoou walk right into stupid.
And how did you demonstrate it to be a false claim?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5310 Jan 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I challenge you to post a quote in support of 'apologetics'; I've always written religious belief is based on faith, not reason. I've never posted support for Intelligent Design.
BONG! Sorry Bri, while I could do that no problem this is the Aliens and Evolution thread therefore it's offtopic!
Brian_G wrote:
Of course, yet you cannot provide any examples.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5311 Jan 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
haha, good one. no really. How's that burden of proof coming along
*The Dude runs off again*
Thanks, just checking.
Runs off? Bub, I addressed you 12 months ago.

And numerous times since.

On numerous threads.

Including this one.

I've been waiting for you to make a coherent argument for ages but all you do is pop up to insult people and pretend no-one's ever debunked your points.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5312 Jan 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
science is everyone's not the preserve of scientists. at the end of the day you're a liar with no proof of god.
You're just like Brian.(shrug)

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#5313 Jan 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
And how did you demonstrate it to be a false claim?
Divinity is the easiest claim to disprove, there simply is no such thing.
Secondly have you know anyone who could demonstrate supernatural or magical powers?

It's pretty easy to dismiss all claims of demigods , because they are really attempts to justify that someone is above and better than everyone else. That's why we have elections , and limit the power of government.

Only with a rabid Imperialistic cult can you have a demigod in charge and it violates all measure of human rights.
Why do you think so many aristocrats lost their heads?

Los Angeles, CA

#5314 Jan 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, this is progress.

Pharaoh is a god with imaginary powers as compared to which god that has real powers?
I love how you inject bs into whatever is said
No, what I'm doing is showing you that you can't stop a thought halfway through and expect people to not follow it out.

You are claiming that there are two kinds of gods. Those with imaginary powers and those with real powers.

Otherwise, there would be NO POINT in categorizing one group as having imaginary powers.

That would be like saying "There are two kinds of people. People and....." And what?

So, you continue to insist that the Pharaohs had "imaginary powers" making them less of a god than....... who?

Los Angeles, CA

#5315 Jan 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuggin's dishonesty truly has no bounds - he'll accuse you of denying the moon exists when he gets smacked down the in a fact based argument.
Actually, I have never accused anyone of denying the moon landing. I've pointed out that on page 4 of this thread you do deny the moon landing.

That's not an accusation. That's a reference.

Aura, to the best of my knowledge, has not made that mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 43 min Science 83,230
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr Dan78iel 3,989
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Wed Science 2,576
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web