Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments (Page 261)

Showing posts 5,201 - 5,220 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
There's nothing wrong with teaching children to question what they are taught; no subject is outside the bounds of critical thought.
I agree. However numerology can not be substituted for mathematics, astrology for astronomy, alchemy for chemistry or ancient myths for the scientific method. Critical thinking causes one to arrive at this conclusion.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

ldyluck420 wrote:
<quoted text>
SO you would rather put my examples as this: science has DISPROVED the fact that people once thought the world was flat and that people once thought we were alone in our universe?
No, I would rather say this: Science has not disproved that people once thought that the world was flat because what people previous thought in not something science can test.

It may have been that people in the past thought one thing or thought another thing. That is a good question for historians or philosophers. However, science can not do any experiments which test the thoughts of people now long dead.
Definition of PROVE:
1 to learn or find out by experience
2 to test the truth, validity, or genuineness of
3 to establish the existence, truth, or validity of (as by evidence or logic)
Nowhere in your definition does it say you must account for future data that may or may not disprove the experiment, theory, etc.
Therefore, science has proven that the world is round.
Actually, "truth" "validity" and "Genuineness" would all imply that the answer is correct meaning that future evidence will not falsify it.

You are trying to say that if someone suggests something then that is proof until someone suggests something else.

That's not proof. That's opinion. It might be informed opinion. It might be majority opinion. It might even be correct. But it's not proof.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No you run around in circles , yes pharaoh was a god in an Imperial cult. I do not recognize Imperial cult leaders as gods.
Then who do you recognize as gods and by what criteria do you make that call?
No magic no supernatural no divinity = no god
Okay.

Earlier, you stated that Thor, Vishnu, Zeus and Yahweh are all gods.

So, you're saying that these entities all ACTUALLY have magic, supernatural powers and divinity?

It seems like you have a bit of a double standard going on

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
Also science say's if you lower the temperature of relatively clean water at sea level to lower than 32 degrees F it will freeze to solid. Would you consider this proven , or is it up for debate also? Fact is maybe I should say science defines things not proves it , but the freezing point of water to me is already proven.
Ice crystals can form at temps higher than that. Water can get colder than that and still not freeze.

There's lots of variability out there.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ice crystals can form at temps higher than that. Water can get colder than that and still not freeze.
Now you are scrambling to protect your precious beliefs.

NO there is nothing you can do to stop me by prater or belief.

You had better get physical in attempt and even then you are doomed.
Belief has no effect in reality , unless you include your brain washed friends. Bring them , bring them all. My bullets are real my assertions are real. They in fact do exist , I can prove them and that they do.
Please do not make me ....your bull shit however is quite tiring.

And of little consequence or threat. My impact carries Newtons behind them , a force you can calculate.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who do you recognize as gods and by what criteria do you make that call?
<quoted text>
Okay.
Earlier, you stated that Thor, Vishnu, Zeus and Yahweh are all gods.
So, you're saying that these entities all ACTUALLY have magic, supernatural powers and divinity?
It seems like you have a bit of a double standard going on
Belief does not= reality.

Believe if you like I will not take your precious life.
Then experience reality.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Now you are scrambling to protect your precious beliefs.
NO there is nothing you can do to stop me by prater or belief.
You had better get physical in attempt and even then you are doomed.
Belief has no effect in reality , unless you include your brain washed friends. Bring them , bring them all. My bullets are real my assertions are real. They in fact do exist , I can prove them and that they do.
Please do not make me ....your bull shit however is quite tiring.
And of little consequence or threat. My impact carries Newtons behind them , a force you can calculate.
Aura,
You are once again falling back to this fallacy that my argument has anything to do with belief effecting reality.

Not only have I never said that, nor even suggested it. I've, in fact, said the exact opposite on a number of occasions.

What I HAVE said though, and I will continue to say, is this:

Words have meanings. They are labels which convey specific thoughts bout specific things.

In the case of a word like "President", it conveys specific thoughts about the role that person plays in a corporation or government.

However, having the LABEL President only describes what that person DOES, not what that person IS. The President is, from start to finish, a _PERSON_. Physically no different than any other average person.

The President doesn't have special magical powers through which he controls the army. He controls the army through the consent of the chain of command because the people BELIEVE that he has the right to do so as President.

If everyone in the chain of command decided he did not have the right to do so, he would not be able to control the army _at all_.

It's a LABEL.

Just like "President" is a label, so to is "King" or "Captain" or...

And this is key to the discussion: "god".

My argument is, has been, and will continue to be this:

Ramses was a real person who's followers BELIEVED to be a "god". Since the ONLY criteria common to _ALL_ "gods" is a belief in them, then he is granted the title of "god" along with all the powers (none) that that brings.

You have been arguing tooth and nail that Ramses doesn't count as a "real god" because he doesn't measure up to your gold standard "god" (which frankly, everyone knows is Jesus) and it upsets and worries you that anyone who's not a Christian would dare to suggest that your religion is on par with all the other religions in the world (aka essentially meaningless).

Now, STOP being so damn defensive. Stop pretending like this isn't about you defending Jesus. Stop acting like a child.

Just take your licks and accept that you lost this debate months ago.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Belief does not= reality.
Believe if you like I will not take your precious life.
Then experience reality.
Aura, you lost. Get over it.

I can walk you down the path and show you where I beat you. AGAIN. But what would be the point.

Go back 200 pages or so, start reading. You'll see the 5 times you've lost this debate in clear black and white.

You haven't forgotten.
I haven't forgotten.
Repeating the same mistakes doesn't make you right retroactively.

Get over it. Take your Jesus and go home.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura, you lost. Get over it.
I can walk you down the path and show you where I beat you. AGAIN. But what would be the point.
Go back 200 pages or so, start reading. You'll see the 5 times you've lost this debate in clear black and white.
You haven't forgotten.
I haven't forgotten.
Repeating the same mistakes doesn't make you right retroactively.
Get over it. Take your Jesus and go home.
I ain't lost sucka
you don't get to say it either.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura,
You are once again falling back to this fallacy that my argument has anything to do with belief effecting reality.
Not only have I never said that, nor even suggested it. I've, in fact, said the exact opposite on a number of occasions.
What I HAVE said though, and I will continue to say, is this:
Words have meanings. They are labels which convey specific thoughts bout specific things.
In the case of a word like "President", it conveys specific thoughts about the role that person plays in a corporation or government.
However, having the LABEL President only describes what that person DOES, not what that person IS. The President is, from start to finish, a _PERSON_. Physically no different than any other average person.
The President doesn't have special magical powers through which he controls the army. He controls the army through the consent of the chain of command because the people BELIEVE that he has the right to do so as President.
If everyone in the chain of command decided he did not have the right to do so, he would not be able to control the army _at all_.
It's a LABEL.
Just like "President" is a label, so to is "King" or "Captain" or...
And this is key to the discussion: "god".
My argument is, has been, and will continue to be this:
Ramses was a real person who's followers BELIEVED to be a "god". Since the ONLY criteria common to _ALL_ "gods" is a belief in them, then he is granted the title of "god" along with all the powers (none) that that brings.
You have been arguing tooth and nail that Ramses doesn't count as a "real god" because he doesn't measure up to your gold standard "god" (which frankly, everyone knows is Jesus) and it upsets and worries you that anyone who's not a Christian would dare to suggest that your religion is on par with all the other religions in the world (aka essentially meaningless).
Now, STOP being so damn defensive. Stop pretending like this isn't about you defending Jesus. Stop acting like a child.
Just take your licks and accept that you lost this debate months ago.
Stupid or stoopid you went full stoooooopid.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I ain't lost sucka
you don't get to say it either.
He doesn't have intellectual discussions, he plays games, that's why he thinks there's a winner and loser.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't have intellectual discussions, he plays games, that's why he thinks there's a winner and loser.
In order to have an intellectual discussion, I need to have an intellectual who is opposing me with points and rationale.

So far, what I've got is Aura defending Jesus as a "real god" and denouncing others as fake and you just calling everything that anyone says a lie and then complaining that boys are mean.

Find me someone with a point and I'll happily discuss it. Until then I'm just sitting here kicking you little turds around for fun,

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is no-one could prove bacteria in 1000 AD because bacteria aren't real.
<quoted text>
Since you're a known dishonest liar and hypocrite then obviously it's not their lies that make you sick. The only other thing it could be is simply having a difference of opinion.
Bacteria can now be proven to be real, and so with that proof came the smell of pooh? Are you saying that before 1000 AD pooh didn't smell?
That you do not believe that bacteria are real, would imply that your shit don't stink, for if it did you'd have proof of bacteria in action? So tell us.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to have an intellectual discussion, I need to have an intellectual who is opposing me with points and rationale.
So far, what I've got is Aura defending Jesus as a "real god" and denouncing others as fake and you just calling everything that anyone says a lie and then complaining that boys are mean.
Find me someone with a point and I'll happily discuss it. Until then I'm just sitting here kicking you little turds around for fun,
You do know that only stupid people think they're smarter than everyone else, right? it has actually been shown multiple times that the more a person thinks they're smart, the less intelligent they really are.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that only stupid people think they're smarter than everyone else, right? it has actually been shown multiple times that the more a person thinks they're smart, the less intelligent they really are.
Well, I'll address this criticism in two points.

First, I'd like to point out that you seem to be trying to indicate with this post that you think that you are smarter than me. I would suggest that you get a better grip on your argument before you bother to contradict yourself.

Second, I have not said I'm smarter than everyone else. Just that I'm stuck arguing with you two idiots. I have six month of evidence as to why you shouldn't be taken seriously. I dare you, scroll back through the last 100 pages and count the number of times you use the word "lie" or "liar". Then count the number of actual points you make.(FYI "Lie" is not a point).

As for Aura, do the same only instead of counting liar, count how many times he switches his position on things like whether or not Thor should be considered a god.

Of course we both know you won't do either of those things. Instead you'll respond with more bitchy posts about my penis and then criticize me for not arguing fair.

YAWN

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Bacteria can now be proven to be real, and so with that proof came the smell of pooh? Are you saying that before 1000 AD pooh didn't smell?
That you do not believe that bacteria are real, would imply that your shit don't stink, for if it did you'd have proof of bacteria in action? So tell us.
I am going to take it on faith that you are in fact as stupid as you are pretending to be in this post.

So, I'll explain this to you like I would explain this to a child.

Long long ago, people didn't know about bacteria. Bacteria was still around but the people didn't know it was there because they didn't have the looky glass that makes small things seem big. If you were to talk to one of those people and ask them what makes someone sick, they wouldn't say "bacteria" because they didn't know about it.

In the last 10 years or so, we found out about "dark matter". It's stuff that we can't see and didn't know was there until someone figured it out.

So, you see, people today aren't so different than people 1,000 years ago. There are things we know about and things we don't know about.

Some day in the future someone will find out something new and then scientists will say, "Wow. That sure is neat. I wish we knew about that sooner."

So, you should never say that scientists already know about everything because they don't.

Now go to bed, Timmy.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to take it on faith that you are in fact as stupid as you are pretending to be in this post.
So, I'll explain this to you like I would explain this to a child.
Long long ago, people didn't know about bacteria. Bacteria was still around but the people didn't know it was there because they didn't have the looky glass that makes small things seem big. If you were to talk to one of those people and ask them what makes someone sick, they wouldn't say "bacteria" because they didn't know about it.
In the last 10 years or so, we found out about "dark matter". It's stuff that we can't see and didn't know was there until someone figured it out.
So, you see, people today aren't so different than people 1,000 years ago. There are things we know about and things we don't know about.
Some day in the future someone will find out something new and then scientists will say, "Wow. That sure is neat. I wish we knew about that sooner."
So, you should never say that scientists already know about everything because they don't.
Now go to bed, Timmy.
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is no-one could prove bacteria in 1000 AD because bacteria aren't real.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether you personally recognized them is irrelevant. Every proposed god also always had others who did not personally recognize them. I speak English as I pointed out you walked straight into Skippydom. You then choose to walk out with the caveats "slim" or "pretty much proven".
Yes it does matter if we can fail to distinguish between false claims and reality then every ruthless dictator that claims to be a god is a god dipshit. And yoou walk right into stupid.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>

I was very specific nugatory 32 degrees at sea level and it has to be 99.5 % water. But you want to argue that? How quaint ,you know you're wrong and I'm right. Lets define it this way.
what is 0 C and 100 C are they defined or are there some argument you can make about that , to me these 2 states of water are proven.

But for you we will say defined.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to follow a little more closely than just looking for things that you don't agree with. If I were you I would go page two or three pages and start again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,201 - 5,220 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••