Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 6,103

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Full Story

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5173 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Secularists believe in aliens; irrational belief is part of human nature. At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith while secularists convince themselves their belief is based on science.
You have no proof of god - that's why you lie about secularists and atheists.

Why not go back to your priest in your church and demand evidence from him, instead of from atheists?

We can't help you come to terms with your mental illness, I'm afraid.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5174 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Secularists believe in aliens; irrational belief is part of human nature. At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith while secularists convince themselves their belief is based on science.
Pretty good Poe joke there, but you went a tiny bit overboard on the alien part.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5175 Jan 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
You have no proof of god - that's why you lie about secularists and atheists.
I've never tried to prove the existence of God.

I'm sorry if you got the impression,'all secularists believe in aliens', that's untrue. Some secularists believe in aliens and they have confused their own faith with science.

-Skeptic- wrote:
Why not go back to your priest in your church and demand evidence from him, instead of from atheists?
People believe in God because of faith, not logic. Atheists have irrational beliefs too; that's human nature.

-Skeptic- wrote:
We can't help you come to terms with your mental illness, I'm afraid.
I make my arguments without insulting other posters. I don't assume my opponents are ill, insane or bad people. This is where we differ.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5176 Jan 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
In the same way, I can talk to a pencil sharpener and call it a god until the cows come home.
But the only thing that makes something truly a god is evidence that it is a god.
You can kindly sh*t the f*ck up now that the flawed logic in your argument has been spelled out.
Skippy, I'm trying very hard to treat you like a grown up with an education. The least you can do is pretend to be one.

I have provided on numerous occasions the names of several commonly accept gods from various cultures and eras. These include Thor, Vishnu, Yahweh, Zeus, etc.

My criteria for their godhood is that people believed in them. It is the single characteristic which is common to all the gods.

There are no gods in which no one believed. It is a common denominator of godhood.

You are claiming to have a different set of criteria for godhood.

Can you explain your criteria and detail how the various gods I've listed fit it?

And if your criteria is so exclusionary as to rule out ALL the names on the list, then how can you justify your criteria?

Now, can you carry on a conversation as an adult? Or are you going to go back to dropping F bombs and refusing to explain "burden of proof" as you define it?

Valley Village, CA

#5177 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Some secularists believe in aliens and they have confused their own faith with science.
While I would agree that believe in alien visitation is "faith" based. Belief that there could be alien life elsewhere in the Universe seems to be more a matter of mathematics than faith.

Given the wide range of habitats that life has colonized on Earth, it seems almost certain that life exists on other planets.
Atheists have irrational beliefs too; that's human nature.
Perhaps a better way to state this is: Everyone has irrational beliefs, even atheists.

I personally know an atheist who has a "lucky jersey" he wears when his favorite team is playing.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5178 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never tried to prove the existence of God.
I'm sorry if you got the impression,'all secularists believe in aliens', that's untrue. Some secularists believe in aliens and they have confused their own faith with science.
<quoted text>People believe in God because of faith, not logic. Atheists have irrational beliefs too; that's human nature.
<quoted text>I make my arguments without insulting other posters. I don't assume my opponents are ill, insane or bad people. This is where we differ.
If you cannot provide testable evidence of something, then to assert it is real or fact is either delusion or dishonesty. We have evidence suggesting alien life on other planets, since they're on other planets, that makes them alien. The abduction nuts are also mostly christian, ironically.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#5179 Jan 6, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
While I would agree that believe in alien visitation is "faith" based. Belief that there could be alien life elsewhere in the Universe seems to be more a matter of mathematics than faith. Given the wide range of habitats that life has colonized on Earth, it seems almost certain that life exists on other planets...
Can you show your math?

Belief that alien life is certain is as irrational as belief in God.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#5180 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
If you cannot provide testable evidence of something, then to assert it is real or fact is either delusion or dishonesty.
Neither delusion or dishonesty; faith. You can't provide testable evidence love exists but most people still assert its existence.

KittenKoder wrote:
We have evidence suggesting alien life on other planets, since they're on other planets, that makes them alien.
What evidence do you have that life exists on other planets? As far as I've seen, there's no evidence for extraterrestrial life.

Secularists like K.K. have faith based irrational beliefs that they attribute to science.

KittenKoder wrote:
The abduction nuts are also mostly christian, ironically.
Can you prove that claim?

Location hidden

#5181 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never tried to prove the existence of God.
<quoted text>People believe in God because of faith, not logic. Atheists have irrational beliefs too; that's human nature.
<quoted text>I make my arguments without insulting other posters. I don't assume my opponents are ill, insane or bad people. This is where we differ.
People believe in god because they are uneducated, stubborn idiots. Fact.

There's no proof of god. Yet you come in this forum selling your unproven god as though it's absolute fact.

You have sense of responsibility - if you truly believe you have the answer to the universe, then you need to man the f*ck up and prove it to us like a true believer.

That fact is that nobody can prove god, because god isn't real.

Therefore you are a liar, lying about god and continuing to lie about god even after you recognise this fact.

You liars make me sick.

Location hidden

#5182 Jan 6, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Skippy, I'm trying very hard to treat you like a grown up with an education.
Then f*ck off because my conversation is above your level of the two-bit lying troll with no understanding of logic or intellectual integrity.

Location hidden

#5183 Jan 6, 2013
Nuggin, I don't read your posts, so either don't reply to me, or just do the whole forum a favour and sh*t that lying loudmouth trap of yours for good.
You will feel better about yourself for it.
Honesty will be a new chapter in your life.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5184 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Neither delusion or dishonesty; faith. You can't provide testable evidence love exists but most people still assert its existence.
<quoted text>What evidence do you have that life exists on other planets? As far as I've seen, there's no evidence for extraterrestrial life.
Secularists like K.K. have faith based irrational beliefs that they attribute to science.
<quoted text>Can you prove that claim?
1. Faith in something that has no testable evidence is delusion, I already said that.

2. Cosmologists have found such, planets with thick atmospheres are unlikely to have those atmospheres without life producing them, we have seen these planets in our telescopes, therefore there is evidence that there is life on as least some of those planets.

3. Basic math, the majority of the US are christian, the number of conspiracy nutters is greater than that of the atheists by a large amount. Therefore, the logic dictates that they would have to be a majority of christian even if all of us atheists were such nutters, as you inferred without evidence.Since a majority of atheists are not such nutters, then it's likely almost all of them are christians.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#5185 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
1. Faith in something that has no testable evidence is delusion, I already said that.
You haven't replied to the proposition that belief in love isn't based on testable evidence.

KittenKoder wrote:
2. Cosmologists have found such, planets with thick atmospheres are unlikely to have those atmospheres without life producing them, we have seen these planets in our telescopes, therefore there is evidence that there is life on as least some of those planets.
Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all have a thick atmosphere. By K.K.'s logic, they must have life; but all observations prove that untrue.

Belief in extraterrestrial life isn't based on evidence; its based on faith. There is no evidence life exists anywhere in the universe, other than Earth.

KittenKoder wrote:
3. Basic math, the majority of the US are christian, the number of conspiracy nutters is greater than that of the atheists by a large amount. Therefore, the logic dictates that they would have to be a majority of christian even if all of us atheists were such nutters, as you inferred without evidence.Since a majority of atheists are not such nutters, then it's likely almost all of them are christians.
^^^Faith based nonsense!

Location hidden

#5186 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't replied to the proposition that belief in love isn't based on testable evidence.
<quoted text>Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all have a thick atmosphere. By K.K.'s logic, they must have life; but all observations prove that untrue.
Belief in extraterrestrial life isn't based on evidence; its based on faith. There is no evidence life exists anywhere in the universe, other than Earth.
<quoted text>^^^Faith based nonsense!
You can't misdiret the discussion. The fact is you're a liar lying about a god you have no proof of.

You can talk about aliens all you like, but your opinions on any matter are considered worthless until you're able to prove your god.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#5187 Jan 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
What evidence do you have for that prejudicial claim?

-Skeptic- wrote:
There's no proof of god. Yet you come in this forum selling your unproven god as though it's absolute fact.
Where do you believe I'm 'selling [][G]od'? I've made no claim about the existence of God one way or the other. I've explicitly said, people don't believe in God because of evidence, they believe because of faith.

-Skeptic- wrote:
You have sense of responsibility - if you truly believe you have the answer to the universe, then you need to man the f*ck up and prove it to us like a true believer.
I've never claimed to have the answer to the universe. S. is making false claims.

-Skeptic- wrote:
Can you prove the existence of love? People believe things because of evidence or faith.

-Skeptic- wrote:
Therefore you are a liar, lying about god and continuing to lie about god even after you recognise this fact.
You liars make me sick.
^^^Many radical secularists hold irrational beliefs based on faith, such as the statement made above. When somebody writes an untruth, they could sincerely believe what they wrote - In that event they aren't lying but are only mistaken.

Many radical secularists hold irrational beliefs that have no basis in reality or logic. The statement above proves this fact.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5188 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty good Poe joke there, but you went a tiny bit overboard on the alien part.
That's funny coming from the idiot who "tried" to argue the feasibility of Drake's quasi-equation.

Try again.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5189 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't replied to the proposition that belief in love isn't based on testable evidence.
<quoted text>Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all have a thick atmosphere. By K.K.'s logic, they must have life; but all observations prove that untrue.
<quoted text>^^^Faith based nonsense!
1. It is, though it was after the fact since "love" is simply the label we gave the response to the chemical reactions, which were observable long before we understood them. But there is now testable data.

2. Those aren't "atmospheres" by the same type, they are actually loose particulates, not gasses, that make those dense. Try harder. The atmosphere of Venus is 6.25% liquid water. Neptune also has a crushing gravity, and is massive compared to the Earth, density, and it's frozen so life would not likely live there. If you don't want to learn, then stop pretending you do.

3. Nope, it's basic math. The majority content of a given population will hold the majority of all aspects of that population by default.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5190 Jan 6, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That's funny coming from the idiot who "tried" to argue the feasibility of Drake's quasi-equation.
Try again.
Proven liar. Post disregarded.

Valley Village, CA

#5191 Jan 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Can you show your math?
Belief that alien life is certain is as irrational as belief in God.
Re-read what I wrote.

"there there _COULD_ be alien life out there"

As for my math:
Recent reports put the number of planets in our galaxy ~ 150 billion.
One estimate of number of galaxies is 125 billion.

Assuming we're "average", that's a hell of a lot of planets.
And, as we've already seen in our own solar system, there could be any number of moons which might be suitable for life as we know it.

And that's not taking into account possible life beyond what we know can exist.

That puts the number of locations that could potentially harbor some form of life well about the capacity for Topix to allow me to type out the number.

That means that unless the odds for life existing are actually zero (and we know they aren't - since we exist), the math says that somewhere out there there is a planet or moon or comet or nebulous cloud or whatever that harbors some other form of life.

So, just going off the math, life _could_ exist elsewhere in the Universe and likely does.

Valley Village, CA

#5192 Jan 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. People believe in a god typically because they were raised to do so.

Einstein was certainly not uneducated or an idiot. He may or may not have been stubborn, I don't know.

However, he was raised to believe in the Jewish god (or some concept close enough to that) and so he did.

Had Einstein been raised in India, he would likely have believed in gods rather than a singular.

Doesn't make him right. Just makes your analysis wrong and therefore not a fact.
You liars make me sick.
You sounds like a fundie who's so desperate to prove that his religion is better than the guy in the next village, he's literally peeing himself.

Relax.

It DOESN'T MATTER. It doesn't matter if this guy believes in a god. You don't have to demand facts to "prove" that his god is better than yours.

Let him have his god. His god is no better or worse than Ramses or Zeus.

If you weren't trying to defend your own religion, would you be this angry if a poster came on here and said, "Ramses was a god"?

Oh, wait. That's exactly what I did and you reacted the same way.

Why are you so defensive?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 17 min red and right 2,593
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Joe fortuna 233,034
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr QUITTNER Dec 24 2014 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 1,449
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr polymath257 159
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 8 hr _Bad Company 192
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 9 hr ratboyhunter 34
More from around the web