Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments
5,081 - 5,100 of 6,103 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I agree ...
Yes Ramses existed and people were mistaking him to be a god.
Or, put another way...

You are saying that people were mistaken in believing that Ramses was a god but are NOT mistaken in believing that the Christian god is a god?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, put another way...
You are saying that people were mistaken in believing that Ramses was a god but are NOT mistaken in believing that the Christian god is a god?
We have the evidence Ramses existed at one time. There is no evidence that the Abrahamic gods ever existed.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
We have the evidence Ramses existed at one time. There is no evidence that the Abrahamic gods ever existed.
So, the Christians don't worship a god? Is that your argument?

Or do you concede that even though God does not exist, he's still the principle deity of the Christian faith?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the Christians don't worship a god? Is that your argument?
Or do you concede that even though God does not exist, he's still the principle deity of the Christian faith?
Erm, what? I said that they have no evidence that their god exists, therefore it can be dismissed as mythology. There is evidence that Ramses existed, therefore it is lunacy to deny that he existed. That's all I said. You cannot make an argument where there is none.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, put another way...
People are mistaken that there ever was any god yes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

God or god , only stupidity allows one.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm, what? I said that they have no evidence that their god exists, therefore it can be dismissed as mythology. There is evidence that Ramses existed, therefore it is lunacy to deny that he existed. That's all I said. You cannot make an argument where there is none.
I think that this explains a great deal about the trouble we've been having.

I naturally assume that since you are replying to a post, you are trying to say something which is on point and about the actual debate. That you are taking a stand, expressing a point of view or at least participating.

However, that's apparently not the case. You're just chiming in with statements that don't have any bearing whatsoever on the conversation at hand.

It's as though Aura and I were debating ham vs turkey sandwiches and you chime in with "Bread is sliced".

Yes. That's very nice. Thank you.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
People are mistaken that there ever was any god yes.
So, are you now saying that you were wrong earlier when you said that you understood that Thor, Zeus and Vishnu were gods?

You see, this is why this debate is not progressing forward.

I'm merely trying to get you to pick a single statement and stick to it.

Can you clarify?

Were you wrong before? Or are you wrong now? Or are you wrong with both statements and you now what to introduce a third statement which you believe to be correct?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
So, are you now saying that you were wrong earlier when you said that you understood that Thor, Zeus and Vishnu were gods?
You see, this is why this debate is not progressing forward.
I'm merely trying to get you to pick a single statement and stick to it.
Can you clarify?
Were you wrong before? Or are you wrong now? Or are you wrong with both statements and you now what to introduce a third statement which you believe to be correct?

Yes a definitive answer would be that your brain is in fact composed of silly putty.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes a definitive answer would be that your brain is in fact composed of silly putty.
Let me tell you how that response sounds.

It sounds like you are looking ahead down this path of agreement and realizing that at the end of the tunnel you're going to be in a position where you can no longer support the argument you've been tossing around for 6 months.

So, instead of owning up to that, or even just playing it out. You're trying to throw in insults and change your statements to weasel out of it.

Are you really sure you want to act that much like a fundie?
Are you so utterly intent on being contrarian that you'll continue to fight an argument you know you've already lost?

I mean, I expect that crap from Skippy because he's a retarded. I had hoped you were a better person than that.

So, I'll ask again.

What characteristics allow you to determine that Thor, Zeus, Yahweh and Vishnu are all gods of their respective religions?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me tell you how that response sounds.
It sounds like you are looking ahead down this path of agreement and realizing that at the end of the tunnel you're going to be in a position where you can no longer support the argument you've been tossing around for 6 months.
So, instead of owning up to that, or even just playing it out. You're trying to throw in insults and change your statements to weasel out of it.
Are you really sure you want to act that much like a fundie?
Are you so utterly intent on being contrarian that you'll continue to fight an argument you know you've already lost?
I mean, I expect that crap from Skippy because he's a retarded. I had hoped you were a better person than that.
So, I'll ask again.
What characteristics allow you to determine that Thor, Zeus, Yahweh and Vishnu are all gods of their respective religions?
There will never be a point or position in the road or world where I cant tell you with 99.9999% certainty that
Ramses existed and people were mistaking him to be a god.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There will never be a point or position in the road or world where I cant tell you with 99.9999% certainty that
Ramses existed and people were mistaking him to be a god.
Which part of that statement are you having trouble with?

"Ramses existed"
or
"people were mistaking him to be a god"

Because I'm fairly certain you've already admitted to both of those things MULTIPLE times.

Hell, you posted a link _TODAY_ showing that Ramses existed.

At this point you are just arguing with yourself and still losing.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that this explains a great deal about the trouble we've been having.
I naturally assume that since you are replying to a post, you are trying to say something which is on point and about the actual debate. That you are taking a stand, expressing a point of view or at least participating.
However, that's apparently not the case. You're just chiming in with statements that don't have any bearing whatsoever on the conversation at hand.
It's as though Aura and I were debating ham vs turkey sandwiches and you chime in with "Bread is sliced".
Yes. That's very nice. Thank you.
In other words, you don't want to have intelligent discussions, you just want to assert that you are correct even when you are in fact wrong. Thank you for admitting that.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you don't want to have intelligent discussions, you just want to assert that you are correct even when you are in fact wrong. Thank you for admitting that.
This isn't a discussion.

I asked Aura a question in the debate he and I are having.

You piped in with a statement which was neither on point nor relevant to the question I asked.

It's not a matter of me being right or wrong. It's a matter of me talking about one thing and you talking about something COMPLETELY different.

That's not intelligent discussion.

That's you just running your mouth off because you're desperate for attention.

Now, you've gone and made a mistake by proclaiming that I am "in fact wrong".

That implies that you are actually participating in the discussion that is going on as opposed to just randomly spouting off nonsense.

So, let's see you back it up.

Which of the recent statements was I wrong about?

Was it:
Ramses existed.
Vishnu is a Hindu god.
The Christians worship a god they call "God".

Go on. Act like you've got your big girl pants on and tell me. What _SPECIFICALLY_ are you referring to.

LOL. Oh, right. You can't, because that would be how a man discusses things and you've demonstrated time and again that actually referencing something is beyond your meager capacity.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a discussion.
I asked Aura a question in the debate he and I are having.
You piped in with a statement which was neither on point nor relevant to the question I asked.
It's not a matter of me being right or wrong. It's a matter of me talking about one thing and you talking about something COMPLETELY different.
That's not intelligent discussion.
That's you just running your mouth off because you're desperate for attention.
Now, you've gone and made a mistake by proclaiming that I am "in fact wrong".
That implies that you are actually participating in the discussion that is going on as opposed to just randomly spouting off nonsense.
So, let's see you back it up.
Which of the recent statements was I wrong about?
Was it:
Ramses existed.
Vishnu is a Hindu god.
The Christians worship a god they call "God".
Go on. Act like you've got your big girl pants on and tell me. What _SPECIFICALLY_ are you referring to.
LOL. Oh, right. You can't, because that would be how a man discusses things and you've demonstrated time and again that actually referencing something is beyond your meager capacity.
No, I corrected an incorrect notion. That is all. You cannot take criticism so you take it personally. That's pretty sad.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I corrected an incorrect notion. That is all. You cannot take criticism so you take it personally. That's pretty sad.
Once again, your inability to grasp what's going on is staggering.

How would you criticizing Aura cause me to take it personally?

You don't even understand who is talking about what and yet you think you're adding to the conversation with your posts?

Seriously. Are you simply incapable of keeping up? Do we need to help you? Or should we just continue to ignore it when you post something which neither addresses a point nor asserts a position?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you are getting ahead of yourself.
You accept that Thor is a god. Yet you acknowledge that Thor does not ACTUALLY exist.
So, if Thor is a god but doesn't actually exist, then by what criteria is Thor a god?
Is it his ability to cause thunder? No. He doesn't actually have the ability to do that.
Is it his infinite knowledge? No. He doesn't actually have any knowledge since he doesn't actually exist.
Is it his immortality? No. Something that doesn't exist can not be mortal nor immortal.
So, by what criteria can you determine that Thor is a god? And how does that same criteria apply to Vishnu, God, Zeus, etc.
What universal criteria applies to all the members of the list that you just accepted were "gods"?
Let me spell it out for you young troll.

When I call you a douche, it does not make you a douche.

What makes you a douche is your proven douche behaviour.

In the same way, I can talk to a pencil sharpener and call it a god until the cows come home.

But the only thing that makes something truly a god is evidence that it is a god.

You can kindly sh*t the f*ck up now that the flawed logic in your argument has been spelled out.

Any normal sane person would realise at this stage that they are wrong and would acknowledge the above and then admit defeat.

But I suspect not the Nuggin troll...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he can't take the criticism that his arguments are entirely flawed and shouting and ranting isn't going to magically change any definitions or subvert any rules of logic.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Secularists believe in aliens; irrational belief is part of human nature. At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith while secularists convince themselves their belief is based on science.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Secularists believe in aliens; irrational belief is part of human nature. At least religious people understand their belief is based on faith while secularists convince themselves their belief is based on science.
Secularists believe in aliens?
Perhaps you fell and hit your head?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 10 min Reason Personified 272
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr number four 224,174
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Hidingfromyou 373
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Richardfs 218
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr NightSerf 21,394
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 16 hr DonPanic 1,285
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••