Aliens and evolution

Jun 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Times

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Comments (Page 187)

Showing posts 3,721 - 3,740 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't sh*t in our lovely forum.
Yeah, SKIPPY NEEDS ROOM!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>I understand quite well what you mean.Scientific theory is just an educated guess.While a fact is certain.
Ah. I see you completely misunderstood his directions and do not even have the basic education in dictionary definitions and how they apply to words in a scientific context, much less understand anything about science to be able to have a conversation about it.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>I understand quite well what you mean.Scientific theory is just an educated guess.While a fact is certain.
A "theory" in a whodunit novel is a guess, usually based on flimsy or circumstantial evidence to enhance the plot and keep the reader deeply engrossed.

HOWEVER...

A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment." (National Academy of Sciences)

That biology on this planet changes over time is a well established fact. We call this change over time "biological evolution". We also have a well tested model explaining how these changes in biology occur, and this is called the Theory of Biological Evolution. Therefore the general term "evolution" IS both a theory and a fact, dependent on what you are referring to. This is well covered in basic middle school biology class.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave grammar education to me, DF.
Funny how you only correct the grammar of those with a different belief system than your own. You remind me of the bully who tried to censor this child.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/sama...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Funny how you only correct the grammar of those with a different belief system than your own. You remind me of the bully who tried to censor this child.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/sama...
I'm a helper.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

THE BAPTIST wrote:
They don't have no theory's in Gastonia , least no store bought ones huh? Heck yall got to make ya own ones.... shoot grandpa whittled one out a piece of wood once upon a time aye?

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

THE BAPTIST wrote:
Apparently you don't understand. A scientific theory is not an educated guess.

That's a common theory.

A scientific theory is a model based on observations which successfully explains existing data and successfully predicts future data.

Is "germ theory" a guess? Do you honestly believe that there isn't any evidence to prove that germs are a source of disease?

If these things are "educated guesses" then what's the opposite? You are supporting an "uneducated guess"?

Let me ask you something. Your name is "Baptist". Was your mother a Baptist?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave grammar education to me, DF.
Hehe

Reg so, mijn vriend

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that's his first and foremost problem???
Hehehe

Well, methinks he buys into the 'Ancent Aliens' theory ('theory' being used very liberally).

To be fair, methinks it's not impossible. In fact, it will shed a lot of light upon what the ancients meant when they saw 'flying boats in the sky' or 'angels coming from heaven to mate with earth women'.

It also will clarify the apparent boom of knowledge humanity received around 3000 years ago.

All that's nice.

But still, a just a modified version of the 'god-of the-gaps' fallacy, or 'alien-of-the-gaps' fallacy.

I will believe in Alien civilisations landing on earth when:

- We find the body of such an alien
- We find their ship

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Hehehe
Well, methinks he buys into the 'Ancent Aliens' theory ('theory' being used very liberally).
To be fair, methinks it's not impossible. In fact, it will shed a lot of light upon what the ancients meant when they saw 'flying boats in the sky' or 'angels coming from heaven to mate with earth women'.
It also will clarify the apparent boom of knowledge humanity received around 3000 years ago.
All that's nice.
But still, a just a modified version of the 'god-of the-gaps' fallacy, or 'alien-of-the-gaps' fallacy.
I will believe in Alien civilisations landing on earth when:
- We find the body of such an alien
- We find their ship
The "flying boats" were how the mesoamericans who lacked sail technology described viking and chinese ships. Alternately the described them as dragons as well or flying snakes.

There was no "apparent boom of knowledge" 3000 years ago. Coming out of the Ice Age humanity Europe/Asia was able to transition into horticulture and agriculture. Since these two landmasses are horizontally oriented as opposed to Africa and the Americas, technology was exchangeable.

The same plants and animals grew and lived in France as they did in Russia. That's not true for South Africa vs Central Africa for example. Or Maine vs Florida.

With a large group of people able to exchange similar technologies, advancement was more rapid in EurAsia than other places, but it wasn't like we went from having nothing to flying planes.

The "boom" in technology consists of pottery, a very primitive plow, some simple textiles, bronze working, etc.

If we saw a jump from stone age straight to information age, then sure - Aliens.

You don't need an alien to go from "hey, I like hitting things with this rock" to "a rock tied to a stick hits harder".

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The "flying boats" were how the mesoamericans who lacked sail technology described viking and chinese ships. Alternately the described them as dragons as well or flying snakes.
There was no "apparent boom of knowledge" 3000 years ago. Coming out of the Ice Age humanity Europe/Asia was able to transition into horticulture and agriculture. Since these two landmasses are horizontally oriented as opposed to Africa and the Americas, technology was exchangeable.
The same plants and animals grew and lived in France as they did in Russia. That's not true for South Africa vs Central Africa for example. Or Maine vs Florida.
With a large group of people able to exchange similar technologies, advancement was more rapid in EurAsia than other places, but it wasn't like we went from having nothing to flying planes.
The "boom" in technology consists of pottery, a very primitive plow, some simple textiles, bronze working, etc.
If we saw a jump from stone age straight to information age, then sure - Aliens.
You don't need an alien to go from "hey, I like hitting things with this rock" to "a rock tied to a stick hits harder".
Exactly.

The jump in understanding was far too small to assume alien intervention.

The biggest clue would have been something like this: Ape man dicovers fire today, ape man builds skyscraper tomorrow.

I am not unwilling to consider it, but thus far, all the followers of the Ancient Aliens Theory have been only able to put forth some very wild claims. An egyptian Pharoah with a funny face does not prove an alien.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
The jump in understanding was far too small to assume alien intervention.
The biggest clue would have been something like this: Ape man dicovers fire today, ape man builds skyscraper tomorrow.
I am not unwilling to consider it, but thus far, all the followers of the Ancient Aliens Theory have been only able to put forth some very wild claims. An egyptian Pharoah with a funny face does not prove an alien.
Yeah, but I liked teh movie.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but I liked teh movie.
Just stay the hell away from Europa.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
"All these worlds are yours..."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there *may* be an advanced civilisation living underneath its crust...
truth

La Follette, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the no brain part comes in when people think that they can actually contact such things.
why is it so hard to believe in life in the universe when we are here.you must be pretty stupid to think we could be the only ones out there

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there *may* be an advanced civilisation living underneath its crust...
And ours - Silurians, anyone?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

truth wrote:
<quoted text>why is it so hard to believe in life in the universe when we are here.you must be pretty stupid to think we could be the only ones out there
The only stupid people are those that make assumptions and present no evidence and then say "but it's obvious".

Like 100% of agnostics, theists, and ignorant liars like Nuggin & The Dude.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The only stupid people are those that make assumptions and present no evidence and then say "but it's obvious".
Like 100% of agnostics, theists, and ignorant liars like Nuggin & The Dude.
Still waiting for YOUR evidence

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And ours - Silurians, anyone?
H-how did you find out? Now we have to create a new plan of attack!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 3,721 - 3,740 of6,103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••