Pope resigns: An atheist's reflections

Pope resigns: An atheist's reflections

There are 326 comments on the Examiner.com story from Feb 11, 2013, titled Pope resigns: An atheist's reflections. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

On Feb. 11, Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger , announced his retirement. He is the first pope in 600 years to resign from the position.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#309 Mar 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nervous Pope Candidate Changes Wine Into Jesus Christ's Urine!
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nervous-pope...
Oy Vey!
LOL!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#310 Mar 14, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
It's probably great that they could not find a younger, and a more moderate candidate for popehood. This old, conservative homophobe, with other assorted baggage, ensures the continual exodus from the catlick cult.
My thoughts exactly; 'tis a good thing they are willing to evolve with the changing times.

It means their sad* demise is still on track.

_________

* sad? No... not really.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#311 Mar 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Pope Francis to resign after 1 day!
http://www.theonion.com/video/pope-francis-re...
<laughing out loud>

Another excellent zinger from the Onion.

Clearly they are a superior news "reporting" agency.

;)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#312 Mar 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"...no pope has resigned since February..."
:)
<quoted text>
Yes, that was brilliant.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#313 Mar 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I don't think I've got the stomach for a martian child abuse scandal.
<quoted text>
Yeah.... all that red jello... ugg.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#314 Mar 14, 2013
Yes they are pretty damn awesome :)
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
<laughing out loud>
Another excellent zinger from the Onion.
Clearly they are a superior news "reporting" agency.
;)

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#315 Mar 16, 2013
Habemus Rapem

March 14, 2013
While millions of Catholics (and especially Jesuits, I was Jesuit educated and let me tell you, my fellow Jebbies are very excited) lost their collective minds yesterday as the Vatican board of directors elected a new CEO to oversee the tax-free, world wide, multi-billion dollar wealth accumulation organization; it struck me as odd regarding the matter-of-fact tone that the church sex abuse scandal has attained. But let’s be real to start with, it’s not a sex abuse scandal, it’s a CHILD RAPE EPIDEMIC paired with a centuries old systemic cover-up protecting the RAPISTS. Perhaps if we worded the problem that way, the problem would be given its just urgency.

I sometimes wonder what is less surprising in a given day’s news headlines: 1) a suicide bombing in a Muslim country, or 2) a new Catholic sex abuse story? Let’s call it a toss up.

So as my former Catholic brethren giddily skip about their day celebrating the new pope, I’d just like to challenge Mr. Jorge Mario Bergoglio to…how could I phrase it?… launch a crusade to round up all the rapists, and all the accomplices that moved the rapists about the system to enable them to rape again and again, and punish them all perhaps in a manner befitting the Church’s illustrious history. Amen.

http://sight66.com/2013/03/14/habemus-rapem/
Lincoln

United States

#316 Mar 16, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
Habemus Rapem
March 14, 2013
While millions of Catholics (and especially Jesuits, I was Jesuit educated and let me tell you, my fellow Jebbies are very excited) lost their collective minds yesterday as the Vatican board of directors elected a new CEO to oversee the tax-free, world wide, multi-billion dollar wealth accumulation organization; it struck me as odd regarding the matter-of-fact tone that the church sex abuse scandal has attained. But let’s be real to start with, it’s not a sex abuse scandal, it’s a CHILD RAPE EPIDEMIC paired with a centuries old systemic cover-up protecting the RAPISTS. Perhaps if we worded the problem that way, the problem would be given its just urgency.
I sometimes wonder what is less surprising in a given day’s news headlines: 1) a suicide bombing in a Muslim country, or 2) a new Catholic sex abuse story? Let’s call it a toss up.
So as my former Catholic brethren giddily skip about their day celebrating the new pope, I’d just like to challenge Mr. Jorge Mario Bergoglio to…how could I phrase it?… launch a crusade to round up all the rapists, and all the accomplices that moved the rapists about the system to enable them to rape again and again, and punish them all perhaps in a manner befitting the Church’s illustrious history. Amen.
http://sight66.com/2013/03/14/habe/
Happy are the atheists who have no organized church!

Your post a rehash of
"Baptist born again"
anti catholic stuff?
JesusChristCruci fied

Wylie, TX

#317 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy are the atheists who have no organized church!
Your post a rehash of
"Baptist born again"
anti catholic stuff?
Active malice towards the rule of law is a problem. It has nothing to do with being "anti-Catholic"...So me of us are just anti-child-rape. The RCC has trouble grasping the DEADLY SERIOUS implications of a five year old being sodomized and they should be forced to watch police videos on child rape...Pedophilia is NOT PRO-LIFE, it is PRO-DEATH...Rape victims have a high rate of suicide...See bishops accountability dot org for court documents, mug shots of the consecrated rapists, and a map that helps you see if your local parish priest is a registered sex offender. It is a very comprehensive database...bishops accountability dot org.
Jimmy

London, UK

#321 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy are the atheists who have no organized church!
Your post a rehash of
"Baptist born again"
anti catholic stuff?
you don't speak for atheists, you speak for idiots.
Lincoln

United States

#322 Mar 17, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't speak for atheists, you speak for idiots.
An odd observation,
thanks for talking time from your busy day,
to make this comment.
Lincoln

United States

#323 Mar 17, 2013
JesusChristCrucified wrote:
<quoted text>
Active malice towards the rule of law is a problem.....
Not of fan of the church of Rome
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#324 Mar 17, 2013
"Not of fan"?
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Not of fan of the church of Rome
Lincoln

United States

#325 Mar 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"Not of fan"?
<quoted text>
"Dirty War" in Argentina

a definite problem for the RCs

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#326 Mar 17, 2013
I do wish I knew more about betting. I am seeing a trend that could pay off big for the right gamblers.

Tell me if I am wrong here. In the 2012 election, 3 candidates (three) stepped forward who had been chosen by the Christain god, to lead this country, as it's next president. Somehow Jehovah managed to get it wrong, and Obama actually won the election, and the god's three choices didn't even make it to the starting gate.

Now his choice as Pope, you know basically the dude who is god himself in human flesh walks off the job in a cloud of a strange smelling scandal, so Jehovah's choice again has played out as the W-R-O-N-G one.

And we all know that the religitards can actually witness a thousand of their god's own choices shot down flaming, and would have no doubts about choice number one thousand and one being spot on.

So how can this bit o'knowledge be turned into winning betting slips, cause we all know that the trend will continue.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#327 Mar 18, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
I do wish I knew more about betting. I am seeing a trend that could pay off big for the right gamblers.
Tell me if I am wrong here. In the 2012 election, 3 candidates (three) stepped forward who had been chosen by the Christain god, to lead this country, as it's next president. Somehow Jehovah managed to get it wrong, and Obama actually won the election, and the god's three choices didn't even make it to the starting gate.
Now his choice as Pope, you know basically the dude who is god himself in human flesh walks off the job in a cloud of a strange smelling scandal, so Jehovah's choice again has played out as the W-R-O-N-G one.
And we all know that the religitards can actually witness a thousand of their god's own choices shot down flaming, and would have no doubts about choice number one thousand and one being spot on.
So how can this bit o'knowledge be turned into winning betting slips, cause we all know that the trend will continue.
Well... one method could work, assuming you could find agreement among "god's chosen".

And it is this: find out whatever these sheeple are promoting, and then bet against it.

Of course, finding a single issue that they can all agree on? Is somewhat problematic.

This is because what True Believers™ like best, after murder & torture of non-believers?

Is fighting amongst themselves...
Lincoln

United States

#328 Mar 18, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
I do wish I knew more about betting. I am seeing a trend that could pay off big for the right gamblers.
Tell me if I am wrong here. In the 2012 election, 3 candidates (three) stepped forward who had been chosen by the Christain god, to lead this country, as it's next president. Somehow Jehovah managed to get it wrong, and Obama actually won the election, and the god's three choices didn't even make it to the starting gate.
Now his choice as Pope, you know basically the dude who is god himself in human flesh walks off the job in a cloud of a strange smelling scandal, so Jehovah's choice again has played out as the W-R-O-N-G one.
And we all know that the religitards can actually witness a thousand of their god's own choices shot down flaming, and would have no doubts about choice number one thousand and one being spot on.
So how can this bit o'knowledge be turned into winning betting slips, cause we all know that the trend will continue.
President Obama - Christian 50.5% of the popular vote
Gov. Romney - L D S 47%

Since 1865 all President have been Christian with the exception of William Howard Taft - Unitarian

President Roosevelt used radio to lead the nation in Prayer.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#329 Mar 19, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
I do wish I knew more about betting. I am seeing a trend that could pay off big for the right gamblers.
Tell me if I am wrong here. In the 2012 election, 3 candidates (three) stepped forward who had been chosen by the Christain god, to lead this country, as it's next president. Somehow Jehovah managed to get it wrong, and Obama actually won the election, and the god's three choices didn't even make it to the starting gate.
Now his choice as Pope, you know basically the dude who is god himself in human flesh walks off the job in a cloud of a strange smelling scandal, so Jehovah's choice again has played out as the W-R-O-N-G one.
And we all know that the religitards can actually witness a thousand of their god's own choices shot down flaming, and would have no doubts about choice number one thousand and one being spot on.
So how can this bit o'knowledge be turned into winning betting slips, cause we all know that the trend will continue.
I found your post eye-catching. "a god in human flesh, etc....", right there, variations of the time-old, time-old fairy tale that supposedly "mature, educated adults" believe - just beginning with those sickeningly common words which introduce the countless, ancient, myriad hand-me-down explanations of how we got here, why we're here and where we're going...don't any of you see how grossly and obviously human these tales are - that they're all just made up to control?? How can any halfway rational creature honestly think these fables could actually have happened? It's the same old story in every culture. Where did these stories begin? Mesopotamia? Anyone have any answers? And if there does indeed exist extra-terrerestial life,(sp?) don't you think they have their variations of the same explanations as to how THEY came to be? Mind-boggling...and now we have another one of God's representatives.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#330 Mar 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... one method could work, assuming you could find agreement among "god's chosen".
And it is this: find out whatever these sheeple are promoting, and then bet against it.
Of course, finding a single issue that they can all agree on? Is somewhat problematic.
This is because what True Believers™ like best, after murder & torture of non-believers?
Is fighting amongst themselves...
Hi Bob, my ultra-interesting friend - there will never come a time when the entire world's population agrees on one faith - there will always be differences of opinion - but that doesn't bother me at all. I guess it's because I simply don't expect millions (or billions) of people to ever think alike, not even for a day. As for the RCC being the "one, true faith", no way, no such thing. They can claim that, but that doesn't make it true. THEY say that, but that doesn't mean anything. Opinions of different groups of people, no more than that.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#331 Mar 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama - Christian 50.5% of the popular vote
Gov. Romney - L D S 47%
Since 1865 all President have been Christian with the exception of William Howard Taft - Unitarian
President Roosevelt used radio to lead the nation in Prayer.
Did you miss the "god's choice" part? This was claimed by those 3 candidates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 min Shizle 12,524
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 17 min -Stray Dog 47,772
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 57 min -Stray Dog 247,281
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 2 hr Shizle 53
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 2 hr thetruth 4
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 10 hr thetruth 19
Proof of God for the Atheist 10 hr thetruth 100
More from around the web