Why there is no such thing as a good ...

Why there is no such thing as a good Christian

There are 11 comments on the Examiner.com story from Dec 20, 2013, titled Why there is no such thing as a good Christian. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Religious leaders love to talk about how atheists can't be moral and yet surprisingly few religious leaders have actually taken the time to study the philosophy of ethics.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#1 Dec 24, 2013
There is no such thing as a good Christian because the buybull contradicts itself.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2 Dec 24, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
There is no such thing as a good Christian because the buybull contradicts itself.
Depends on how you read the phrase "good christian". If you read it as faithful to the tenets of the christian religion, then the contradictions in those tenets prevent anyone from observing all of them simultaneously. If you read it as being simultaneously christian and a good, moral person, there are plenty of good christians. Most people are decent, and, given the chance, will try to do the right thing. The number of christians who, for example, vote for pro choice political candidates, shows that many christians are able to navigate by their inner moral compass, even when the map of their faith points them in a different direction.
True Christian witness

Slick, OK

#3 Dec 24, 2013
Since the end of this world is still ahead of us, but we are fast moving toward it in these final days of this world, I would be more concerned about whether my beliefs are Scriptural and my life style imitated the life style of Jesus and his early disciples.
2Peter 2:21

That way, you know whether you have the faith necessary to survive the end of this world or not. If you find that you don't, then I suggest you start a thorough search for the true Christian world wide Congregation that does have God's approval to survive.
1Corinthians 6:9-11

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4 Dec 24, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
Since the end of this world is still ahead of us, but we are fast moving toward it in these final days of this world, I would be more concerned about whether my beliefs are Scriptural and my life style imitated the life style of Jesus and his early disciples.
That way, you know whether you have the faith necessary to survive the end of this world or not. If you find that you don't, then I suggest you start a thorough search for the true Christian world wide Congregation that does have God's approval to survive.
Of course, the end of the world is always imminent with you folks. First it was supposed to be in 1914, then what was it, 1978? I suppose if you keep guessing, you might get it right some day. Or not. After all, the world has been around for billions of years, so there's a good chance of it being around for a few billion more. Humans may not survive, but that's a different question. Nature is fairly resilient. The world didn't end when the dinosaurs went extinct, and is likely to be around after humans kill ourselves off.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5 Dec 25, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on how you read the phrase "good christian". If you read it as faithful to the tenets of the christian religion, then the contradictions in those tenets prevent anyone from observing all of them simultaneously. If you read it as being simultaneously christian and a good, moral person, there are plenty of good christians. Most people are decent, and, given the chance, will try to do the right thing. The number of christians who, for example, vote for pro choice political candidates, shows that many christians are able to navigate by their inner moral compass, even when the map of their faith points them in a different direction.
I quite agree-- many christians--**in**spite** of their horrid religion, manage to be good people anyway.

Mostly by ignoring 90% of the ugly bible.
Exposing The Antichrist

Martinez, CA

#6 Dec 25, 2013
Since Jesus said this in Luke 18:19 (New International Version,©2010)

"19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good, except God alone."

It would appear that the title of the thread is correct.

Those who consider themselves good Christians contradict the one they profess to follow.

(watch how creative these good Christians can be in twisting scripture to protect their religions from the words in the book they use to support their faith )
LCNlin

United States

#7 Dec 25, 2013
A good many people have agnostic moments ...both theists and atheists.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#8 Dec 25, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
The earth will never end, it will just radically change. We are living in the latter years of the present earth age and this time it will not end by ice or water, but by fire. The Lord God is coming and will purge the earth in three separate judgments by fire. Only the righteous meek will inherit the new earth.
Jim

London, UK

#9 Dec 26, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
A good many people have agnostic moments ...both theists and atheists.
LCN the creationist troll trying to make statements nobody will disagree with, because nobody agrees with him when he talks about his hate-cult.
Jim

London, UK

#10 Dec 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The earth will never end, it will just radically change. We are living in the latter years of the present earth age and this time it will not end by ice or water, but by fire. The Lord God is coming and will purge the earth in three separate judgments by fire. Only the righteous meek will inherit the new earth.
Correct your bible and stop telling atheists about your religious delusions like a lunatic.
Mithra Died For Your Sins

Martinez, CA

#11 Dec 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The earth will never end, it will just radically change. We are living in the latter years of the present earth age and this time it will not end by ice or water, but by fire. The Lord God is coming and will purge the earth in three separate judgments by fire. Only the righteous meek will inherit the new earth.
Why don't you look up into the night sky? Perhaps you will be fortunate enough to see a supernova explode . When this happens it takes out every planet in that particular star system.

There are many other ways that planets are destroyed also. Right now the Milky Way galaxy is on a collision course with the Andromeda galaxy. Who can say how many planets will be destroyed when that happens?(The Milky Way is our home. It contains over 400 billion stars)

This whole universe is a pageant of finite events! Nothing lives forever here! Even this universe itself has a finite lifespan.

It's just a womb for souls, nothing more!

Only GOD is ETERNAL!

If you have to deny reality to protect your belief system perhaps you should examine your belief system. You can't change reality to match your belief system, you will only drive yourself mad trying.

Look at the world today if you don't believe me! 4000 religions, 42,000 sects of Christianity alone, all at each others throats defending conflicting belief systems that conflict with each other as well as with reality!

The world is a mess because of this!

Actually giving up a false belief system doesn't mean you lose GOD it means you are one step closer to finding GOD!

When you reject GOD'S handiwork though, you reject GOD!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 13 min Eagle 12 - 1,419
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 49 min Rose_NoHo 1,177
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr u196533dm 32,462
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 7 hr Ben Avraham 100
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
More from around the web