Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70629 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Secret Name

Kelseyville, CA

#1777 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
Did they use the Christian scientific method?
<quoted text>
of all of the physicans I've known and worked with over 35 years, I've found the religious ones to be the LEAST interested in getting a correct diagnosis. This is especially true if the patient is not from their church, or lives an objectionable ("amoral")lifestyle. (This is not referring to general non-compliance)
A study done showed that prayer did NOT improve outcomes and in fact if a patient knew they were being prayed for they had MORE complications. It is much easier to find a study to the contrary, in part because people would rather think they have some control and many organizations NEED the PR.
http://www.templeton.org/pdfs/articles/060331...

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1778 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
According to limited natural parameters I cannot. Can you provide an observable and repeatable event explaining creation/origin with natural causes. Sheesh you can't using the very standards you set for yourselves and then pat each other on the back as great minds in concluding we hate God. You might not like my style, but, it's easy to see you have no skin in the game and bloviate about something you don't believe in from the comfort of your fence. I guarrantee some free thinkers know I'm right, but, out of pride or spite won't allow themselves to remove the natural chains they have put on a great and magnificent universe.
<quoted text>
this convoluted straw man is your secret weapon

you have been waiting all this time

to pounce with??

The existence of your god is going to be reflected by my inability to construct an experiment where the universe(s) is created multiple times so that we can have confirmation of hypotheses.

you got me John -- I can't create universes.

lol

lolol

lol

your god did not do it either John

you cant imagine how complimented I am

that you let the fate of the existence of your god

hang on my abilities to articulate an explanation for the unknown.

complimented i tell you

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1779 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, it looks like we are going to lose the Harley plant here in York, which is a bummer on a lot of levels. We had some great rallies here every year.
scary times

---rubber down
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#1780 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
why didn't you just say from the start
that you rode a Hog, bro?
I'll probably get an OT for this, but maybe I can claim to be a Twinnist and slip it by.

Anyway, when I was in HS (1975-76 or so), my neighbor had a Norton "Yellow Peril"; 10.25:1 compression ratio; 70 bhp at 6500 rpm. He told I could ride it if I could start it. I tipped the scales at about 165lbs. in those days and the thing damn near threw me over the bars when I tried to kick it over. Never got another shot at that one, but I hope to someday.

I've never been up on an MV Agusta either. That is my dream bike.

Rode a lot of Bimmers too, but they leave me kind of cold. Great mechanics but no soul (yess! back on topic).
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#1781 Sep 5, 2009
Secret Name wrote:
<quoted text>of all of the physicans I've known and worked with over 35 years, I've found the religious ones to be the LEAST interested in getting a correct diagnosis. This is especially true if the patient is not from their church, or lives an objectionable ("amoral")lifestyle. (This is not referring to general non-compliance)
A study done showed that prayer did NOT improve outcomes and in fact if a patient knew they were being prayed for they had MORE complications. It is much easier to find a study to the contrary, in part because people would rather think they have some control and many organizations NEED the PR.
http://www.templeton.org/pdfs/articles/060331...
I concur. I have often said that if people believed that this was the only life we have, they would place greater value on it.

You often hear the phrase "There are no atheists in foxholes". I think that says a lot for the atheists.
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#1782 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
scary times
---rubber down
Amen, brother!

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1783 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
perhaps I should have posted:
I am not a troll...
Yea, and former president Richard Nixon said "I am not a crook." We'll be the judge of that.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#1784 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
According to limited natural parameters I cannot.
Then why should I believe you?
Can you provide an observable and repeatable event explaining creation/origin with natural causes.
You're making the claim, it's not u to me to find the evidence.
Sheesh you can't using the very standards you set for yourselves and then pat each other on the back as great minds in concluding we hate God.
Show me the evidence. Then we'll have something to talk about.
You might not like my style, but, it's easy to see you have no skin in the game and bloviate about something you don't believe in from the comfort of your fence.
I do no such thing. I simply reject your assertion that there is a "god."
I guarrantee some free thinkers know I'm right, but, out of pride or spite won't allow themselves to remove the natural chains they have put on a great and magnificent universe.
<quoted text>
I can't speak for anyone else, but there is nothing that you have said that I find "right."
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#1785 Sep 5, 2009
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, and former president Richard Nixon said "I am not a crook." We'll be the judge of that.
That sounds vaguely familiar some how.

Well I though I made it easy to follow last time but I guess that ain't necessarily so...

...so to speak.

Follow the dot's. I am...

...Keyser Sose.

I was ridiculing you, you see, because you are an absurd caricature of atheists and, by extension, all non-Christians. Since you will listen only to echoes you will never realize that you do us all more harm than good. So, you keep doing what you are doing, and we will keep laughing at you for it in hopes that we can mitigate the damage.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#1786 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
You have defined yourself by what you are not rather than by what you are. When the sides are even, this is a poor tactic when the sides are even, when you are outnumbered it is lunacy, when you are vastly outnumbered it it idiocy.
This is the same loser approach that Stump has employed with such miserable results. I guess that it still has some appeal for you.

Thanks for trying to help me make a better argument, but if you don’t mind, I’ll use my own judgment. Besides, you believe in magic.

I’m watching you unravel before my eyes. Originally, you were behaving as if you were neutral and above the fray with your Socratic method. That was when you declared this thread beneath you and said farewell.

Now, not only are you still here, you’re in the muck with John of Stumpcestershire. You and he are has-beens. You have been utterly repudiated and are not taken seriosly by anyone here.

I know. I have a Sixth Sense about these things:

"I see dead people ... walking around like regular people... They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead."

Fennario

#1787 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
John --- you have nothing
Stumpy - how many times do you have to read this to get a clue?
karl44 wrote:
show us your nothing John
just like you have for the last 2000 posts
Yeah, Stumps, you've been showing your ass for days. Now unzip and show us your nothing, ya eunich.

Fennario

#1788 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
TYPO CORRECTION:

You have defined yourself by what you are not rather than by what you are. When the sides are even, this is a poor tactic, when you are outnumbered it is lunacy, when you are vastly outnumbered it it idiocy. Instead of illustrating why a belief in god is not required to live a moral, ethical, and productive life, you hiss and spit and throw tantrums like an unruly child. You nip at the heels of the majority, mess on their rug like an untrained puppy and then yip when they say you belong in a crate. Exactly the image your opposition wants to paint of atheists.
When the Christian right plays "pin the blame on the atheist", your face is on the donkeys ass.
You would do non-Christians everywhere a favor if you either learned a bit of game theory or got the hell off of our side.
REPLY TO TYPO CORRECTION:

This is the same loser approach that Stump has employed with such miserable results. I guess that it still has some appeal for you.

Thanks for trying to help me make a better argument, but if you don’t mind, I’ll use my own judgment. Besides, you believe in magic.

I’m watching you unravel before my eyes. Originally, you were behaving as if you were neutral and above the fray with your Socratic method. That was when you declared this thread beneath you and said farewell.

Now, not only are you still here, you’re in the muck with John of Stumpcestershire. You and he are has-beens. You have been utterly repudiated and are not taken seriosly by anyone here.

"I see dead people ... walking around like regular people... They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead."
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#1789 Sep 5, 2009
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Same old, same old
Or was it IANS I was ridiculing?

It's so hard to tell you two apart.
NotSurprised

Phoenix, AZ

#1790 Sep 5, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
Why is it so improtant for atheists to evangelize?
Because they are not Atheists. They are anti-Christian radicals whose hatred and bigotry are hidden behind a thin mask of professed non-belief. Many of them are leftists whose hatred of Christianity is based solely upon the latter's status as the existential enemy of Marxism.

True atheists aren't concerned with religion any more than we are concerned with leprechauns. We don't worry ourselves with religions or religious belief because there is no reason to. Religion isn't about God, it is about people. Spiritual beliefs are part of the glue that holds a society together, which is a big part of why Marxist So-Called-Atheists hate religion so much. As long as religions such as Christianity hold influence, people will never be convinced to give up their spiritual beliefs and adopt a philosophy of materialism and the worship of the state.

Fennario

#1791 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
I was waiting for that. From the collective minds of the nothing, nothing has sprung forth. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
LOL.

L-L-L-L-L-Loooooooooser!
The smartest guy who ever lived diagnosed you as insane:

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”- Albert Einstein
Alex

Tuscaloosa, AL

#1792 Sep 5, 2009
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And when you are forced off script you spout gibberish.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#1793 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
I was ridiculing you, you see, because you are an absurd caricature of atheists and, by extension, all non-Christians. Since you will listen only to echoes you will never realize that you do us all more harm than good. So, you keep doing what you are doing, and we will keep laughing at you for it in hopes that we can mitigate the damage.
Do I care? No.

Fennario

#1794 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
Would the scientific method be able to measure which pompous ass displays the most pomposity?

http://snipurl.com/rmpab

Sorry, Stumps. read it and weep. It's you!

[QUOTE who="john"]There is a God. Boo!
You're so lame to use a joke already used on you, and then to mess it up. It doesn't work both way, me Stumpo. Arrrrghhhh!

LOL.

L is for LOL
L is for Laughingstock
L is for L-L-L-L-L-Looooooooooo-ser!

Don't forget your tooth.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#1795 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
I concur. I have often said that if people believed that this was the only life we have, they would place greater value on it.
See? You are a troll
You often hear the phrase "There are no atheists in foxholes". I think that says a lot for the atheists.
Nice catchphrase for the believers, too bad it's not true.

Fennario

#1796 Sep 5, 2009
Truck Nuts wrote:
I see so Pontius Pilate governor of the Roman province of Judaea from AD 26–36. Was a not real either. Lets not stop there, lets also believe that the Romans never existed either.
Pilate and the Romans lived, therefore, Jesus lived. This is called the Huck Finn defense of Jesus.

If you read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, you'll," you'll read about an antebellum South, a Mississippi River, slaves and a state of Missouri - all documented in reliable sources having actually existed.

Therefore, there must have been a Huckleberry Finn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 5 min Rose_NoHo 442
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 33 min Eagle 12 12,674
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 53 min Endofdays 69,983
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Subduction Zone 30,113
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 19 hr yehoshooah adam 3,779
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Wed superwilly 579
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Tue Eagle 12 258,469
More from around the web