Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1757 Sep 5, 2009
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it truly is a new low for me. I'm so ashamed.
I keep forgeting that the game of cat and mouse isn't very much fun for the mouse.
Please accept my apologies, and know that the last thing I wanted to do on this forum was to say something to offend your sensibilities.
BTW, thanks for pointing me to Lake Chapala. It is really quite beautiful. I'm going to see if I can talk a few of my buddies into promoting an unlimited hydroplane race there. The nitro-methane and jet exhaust those bad boys belch into the air makes for one spectacular sunset.
Anyway, it's late and I have an early day. A bunch of us have organized a poker run to benefit citizens border patrol groups. We'll ride our Harley's to West Virginia to do a little fly fishing, then we're off to the dog races. It's a lot of fun and the veal parm sandwiches at the track are terrific.
Sorry I didn't get to know you better. And, like I said, the last thing I wanted to do on this board was say something to offend your sensibilities.
By the way. I'm not a troll.
why didn't you just say from the start

that you rode a Hog, bro?
Alex

Philadelphia, PA

#1758 Sep 5, 2009
Secret Name wrote:
<quoted text>
Alex-this guy is a 'legend in his own mind" Trying to get him to actually say something of substance is like pissing into the wind. He is incapable. He thinks because he was a Dr (of what, don't know)he thinks he has automatic authority. LOL-Can't give up his delusions well. One has to wonder about how many misdiagnosis's were made if an MD, and how oblivious he was to them. That is not unusual in medicine. I have previously gone over debate method etc to explain to him WHY debate rules are the way they are and how self defeating name calling and pompous behavior is only that. It doesn't reflect any level of intelligence. In fact I even pointed out to him that literacy is not required to be good at insult and innuendo and is in fact a skill and entertainment in Ozark/Appalachian culture models. He is apparently unable to learn new things, but sticks to his broken record.
Maybe that is why me fled to Mexico. Malpractice suits are a bitch.

Location hidden

#1759 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
How is some nothing did it not a big nothing. Focus now. I realize how frightened you ahem freethinkers are of defending a position that is more than it's not God. I'm clear on that. Now what?
<quoted text>
ooooh so close

the victim is so close

are you shaking in anticipation John

pray , pray , pray one more time John

so close

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1760 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
It's pretty clear, albeit anecdotal that atheism is usually tantamount to antitheism. Leave your nothing out of our laws, classrooms, etc. I have only asked for a position you are trying to defend when you want to attack. You fail miserably and collectively.
<quoted text>
We don't want to attack. If by "failing" you mean we don't live down to your expectation, that's on you.

You're the only one who keeps trying to attack. The way you use the word "nothing" is stupid in the extreme. You appear to be purposely trying to incite an emotional response so you can vindicate your hatred. That's pathetic.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#1761 Sep 5, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
Atheists and other assorted godless keep dragging this Treaty in as "proof." It is nothing of the kind. The godless give it no historical context or perspective.

Here’s your perspective:

"The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion." -- Treaty of Tripoli, 1798. UNANIMOUSLY approved by Congress and signed by John Adams, 2nd President of the United States
nmweatherman wrote:
This article may be read in two manners. It may, as its critics do, be concluded after the clause "Christian religion"; or it may be read in its entirety and concluded when the punctuation so indicates.
You imply that that is taken out of context and insist that the whole sentence be read:

“As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen and as the said States have never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

It STILL says that the American government,“IS IN NO SENSE FOUNDED ON THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION”

What part of that don’t you understand?

Maybe it's a metaphor for "America is in every sense founded on Christianity."
nmweatherman wrote:
LIBissues? LOL.

Fennario

#1762 Sep 5, 2009
Truth Czar wrote:
Every Atheist I've ever met, smelled bad. Is that a requirement?
Yes, Grasshopper. Confucius say: "Crowded elevator always smell different to midget."
laughingiris

Ann Arbor, MI

#1763 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the holiday celebrated on Dec 25
honors the passing of the winter solstice
"The Romans held a festival on December 25 of Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, "the birthday of the unconquered sun." December 25 was the date after the winter solstice,[5] with the first detectable lengthening of daylight hours." >>>wiki>>>
Thank You Karl, I was aware of that. Also the relation of pagan holidays in regards to Easter. Halloween happens to be my personal favorite.
(Not a Christian religious holiday of course.)
It took a "converted" King/Emperor to designate certain pagan holidays to coincide with this ever growing Christian cult...blah blah. He obtained more power and unity in his realm.

I happen to believe in a Higher Power. I don't look at this World as an accident or freak of nature.

Fennario

#1764 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
Good riddance!
But Stumpy, I'm still in your computer.

Just because I don't want to live with you or share a country with you doesn't mean that I don't still want to be your friend.

Location hidden

#1765 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
This doesn't mean I no longer get to be called a fundie does it? I was clear from the start a one-sided debate was silly so this thread devolved into ad hominem attackwith little room to convey anything other than, "what position are you defending." I have no prolem articlating what I believe and why. I also have no problem with I just don't know. I do have a problem with agenda based antitheism and know that accepting only a natural world based on measurements only set up for that world is just as limiting as ascribing supernatural to every unknown. I think you would find Lewis ideas thought provoking if nothing else. Don't let the title scare you he isn't dismissive in the least and does a much better job than I could ever hope in conveying those ideas.QUOTE who="Jammercolo"] <quoted text>
Okay, I guess that means you support evolution.
i will give you this John:

this one has been a cleaver lie on your part
john

United States

#1766 Sep 5, 2009
Perhaps you don't and were collateral damage in dealing with antitheists. I posted numerous times why I was here and who I was here for. Go into some Christian threads and see the antitheists mock for sport. My refusal to budge and an especially salty bunch didn't exactly bring out the best in me. Nothing is fine by me, but, it's still nothing. So agan if you aren't an antitheist pass it on.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't want to attack. If by "failing" you mean we don't live down to your expectation, that's on you.
You're the only one who keeps trying to attack. The way you use the word "nothing" is stupid in the extreme. You appear to be purposely trying to incite an emotional response so you can vindicate your hatred. That's pathetic.
laughingiris

Ann Arbor, MI

#1767 Sep 5, 2009
Deezil Wood wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay....... Would you care to elaborate on that, or shall I fill in the blank with the typical "it's a miracle of god" or "that's what god wanted"? Fellow atheists feel free to add any other known pre-fabricated thoughtless responses you may have encountered.
Sorry, for the one word answer. I was tired at the time and frankly it's hard to put into words. Feeling this life growing inside you is different. Knowing each person has a soul. I do not have the words to relay this to you. How do you describe a belief?
I'm sure hormones, emotional state, economics, regional area, etc. can be put into play as a "logical" explaination. But, that's NOT it. Not for me.
I wasn't on this thread to "convert" anyone. I wanted to read how typical Atheists think. I've gotten a taste.
Alex

Philadelphia, PA

#1768 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! You ride?

I was just jerking IANS's chain about the poker run but I do love to ride, and I love big twins. Harley, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Buell, Triumph; I've ridden'em all.

Right now I'm shopping for an old 850cc or 1000cc Le Mans to restore.

I rode the new Guzzi California a few weeks ago. It really captures the look and feel of the original (the on featured in Magnum Force). Take one for a spin if you get a chance, you'll dig it.

Peace.
Alex

Philadelphia, PA

#1769 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, it looks like we are going to lose the Harley plant here in York, which is a bummer on a lot of levels. We had some great rallies here every year.

Location hidden

#1770 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
Y... Laying on your stomach biting a pillow does not qualify as a position.... Lol
<quoted text>
Look John if your wife wont,(or if you dont have one...)

rent for an evening

and you will change your mind about the pillow thing
laughingiris

Ann Arbor, MI

#1771 Sep 5, 2009
D_M_H wrote:
<quoted text>No, but I was present at the birth of my three children including the emergency c-section for the youngest. I marveled at the biological complexity that is reproduction and the skill of the professionals who assisted my wife with these arduous tasks. Not once did I apply supernatural attributes to any of the processes involved. And I love my children more than my own life. What did any proposed god have to do with any of that?
Probably more than you think. I'm happy the emergency c-section turned out ok. You're a good Dad, I can tell by your words.

Fennario

#1772 Sep 5, 2009
melevy wrote:
You think Bushie started building that wall to keep Mexicans from crossing the border on their way north? Nope, it's to keep Americans in.
I agree and have long said just that. The FEMA camps say the same thing. What do people think all of those FEMA camps are for? http://snipurl.com/rmm4e http://snipurl.com/rmm41 and http://snipurl.com/rmm2l

Fennario

#1773 Sep 5, 2009
melevy wrote:
I'm convinced that johnny is a student at that university that gives points for trolling forums...
Here's more on trolling for course credit:

http://snipurl.com/rmmad
http://snipurl.com/rmmb0

Another example of the oxymoronic "Christian scholarship." Personally, I'm a Three Bears scholar.

Plus, I did my Ph.D. thesis in Disneyology, which was an in depth comparison of Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan, just like bible scholars do with Magic Jesus and his sidekick Casper the Holy Ghost.

Academic my pitoot!
Alex

Philadelphia, PA

#1774 Sep 5, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Look John if your wife wont,(or if you dont have one...)
rent for an evening
and you will change your mind about the pillow thing
LOL, good one.

You've got to admit that WAS funny, John.

Fennario

#1775 Sep 5, 2009
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You can't stand it that 'lack of belief in invisible supernatural agents' is the only thing atheists have in common. For some reason you keep thinking that atheists must have an "agenda".
Get this straight -- WE DON'T HAVE AN AGENDA.
We just want to be left alone to live our lives to the best of our abilities. And we want you to stop trying to force your beliefs on us in our government, in our science classrooms, and in our laws. THAT'S IT.
It is the christian right in America that has an agenda.(reference: Moral Majority political agenda & the Discovery Institute Wedge Document)
Thanks for the heads up on that loathsome Wedge Document: http://snipurl.com/rmmgp

Where did these people learn morals? In a church?

Stealth Christianity sickens me (did you get that, Alex?). Stand upright - be forthright - or be a Christian with a stealth agenda. Pigs.
So what do conspiracy naysayers say about this?

Location hidden

#1776 Sep 5, 2009
john wrote:
Did they use the Christian scientific method?
<quoted text>
supplants the definition of oxymoron

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min Knowledge- 243,559
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 9,547
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) 6 hr The_Box 522
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 15 hr USaWarringIDIOTSo... 6,224
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Mon TC_Tia 14,656
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon MikeF 19,806
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Jul 4 Amused 2
More from around the web