Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 8)

Showing posts 141 - 160 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
<quoted text>You're posting to me like you think calling God an "it" would make me sad. I've lost count of how many idiots intentionally can't even use correct puncuation on his name, and miss the fact that God isn't evil. They want to believe he is because Atheists are just God's children who are looking for Him, but they're just lost without guidance.
<quoted text>Does my speach frustrate you. Is that why you want me to leave you alone?
If I treated my dog the way your supposed god treats his children, theyed put me in jail for animal cruelty.

“l'enfer, c'est les autres”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amen. Government shall make no law as to various religions established in this country, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...so, since the government won't do the atheists' dirty work, attacking Christians, the atheists do it themselves. And the aethists are treading on OUR Constitutional freedoms, not the other way around. You would dearly love to see that Amendment disappear, huh.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I treated my dog the way your supposed god treats his children, theyed put me in jail for animal cruelty.
God does not "treat" His children. God gave us free agency to do what we will. People treat people heinously exercising their "free will."

We have many choices, but with choices and freedom comes personal responsibility for your actions, a quality you obviously don't have.

Actually I'd hate to be your dog, poor thing...

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Religions are left overs of ancient myths and superstitions.

Leprechauns, fairies, trolls, gods, sprites, etc are all mythical and pretend.

It's the 21st century ... time to stop living in mythical times
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are finished masturbating your "intellect," may I request that you godless really do ignore us and let us have our freedoms? As in call off your atheist attcak dogs?
I feel sorry for you. You are empty, directionless, and you bow and worship at the cold barren alter of "science." Your motto seems to be "In Nothing We Trust." What a shallow life, shutting out man's spirituality and spiritual potential, and the possibilities the universe is rife with miracles, events exhibiting synchronicity and rippling through the rivers of time. The only things "science" seems to have discovered is how much "scinece" doesn't know (and perhaps never will).
And so you elevate yourself to a kind of god, a god of one, when actually your presence here in this universe is, if nothing, completely unimportant and irrelevant. We are truly (and our life spans are) dust in the wind. You just want to be king of dust particles.
Your life has no hope...you're just going to fade to black at the end. My life has hope and belief in all the possibilities. While you've shut your door (except to dubious "cold hard" scientific "fact"), mine are wide open and avidly exploring.
In fact...I expect a miracle today.
Your expecting a miracle today? Is god handing out new brains? You are a sanctimonious, egotistical prick. Your life is based on fear and lies. Your not open to any possibility, other than you think you will live for ever in some la la land. That is your right to believe what you want but you have no right to condemn anyone elses beliefs or non beliefs. As always, you pridefull pricks think it is your way or the highway. Well pal, your on a dirt road to no where. Since when were you elevated to be in judgement of the validity of anothers belief? Just how do you prove your spirituality? Go preach to the ignorant. We have had enough of your self serving preaching here.
Charlie

Papeete, French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Atheists should try to discover what they DO BELIEVE in, not what they don't believe in.

What grand, inspirational vision do they have for themselves, individually, or for humanity?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

<quoted text>You're posting to me like you think calling God an "it" would make me sad. I've lost count of how many idiots intentionally can't even use correct puncuation on his name
Mea culpa. I never punctuate his name:

God
Jehovah
Yahweh
Jesus

What punctuation is missing? Quotes? A semicolon? An apostrophe? An exclamation point or two?

“God”
Jehovah;
Y’ahweh
Jesus!!
Does my speach frustrate you. Is that why you want me to leave you alone?
No. It’s just that you asked another religionist,“Why care about these Atheists?” The thread is about what atheists are doing, something about which you indicate you don’t care. If that’s true, then why come here and post taunts?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your expecting a miracle today? Is god handing out new brains? You are a sanctimonious, egotistical prick. Your life is based on fear and lies. Your not open to any possibility, other than you think you will live for ever in some la la land. That is your right to believe what you want but you have no right to condemn anyone elses beliefs or non beliefs. As always, you pridefull pricks think it is your way or the highway. Well pal, your on a dirt road to no where. Since when were you elevated to be in judgement of the validity of anothers belief? Just how do you prove your spirituality? Go preach to the ignorant. We have had enough of your self serving preaching here.
Looks like I hit a nerve. I usually do. You godless people amuse me in a way, because at the very end, when a cancer or tumor is eating your body alive, or you've just suffered multiple fractures, or you are undergoing skin grafts, or enduring a long drawn-out physical rehab treatment, you always cry out "O Jesus!" "O God!" "God, help me!" "Oh, Jesus, help me!" "Oh, Mother Mary!"

Of course some of you cry out for "Mommy!"

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Tea partier wrote:
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
Epic fail

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Charlie wrote:
Atheists should try to discover what they DO BELIEVE in, not what they don't believe in.
What grand, inspirational vision do they have for themselves, individually, or for humanity?
They are the "religion" of Nothing. The "religion of "No." Grand inspirational vision? When your motto is "In Nothing We Trust"?

They are nothing more than effete rationalizers sitting around masturbating their intellects.

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Tea partier wrote:
Are all you Athiests going after Muslims,wiccians,Jews,Buddists ,and harkishnas or just Christians. The constitution says freedom of religeon not freedom from religeon.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
Are you saying that associating with a religion is required of every individual? LOL! Freedom OF religion also means freedom FROM religion.

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Tea partier wrote:
<quoted text>
LOVE MY SKY DADDY !!!
He's yours, you can have him.
Lisa

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Atheists are the most intolerant people I know.

“Peace be with you.”

Since: Aug 08

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

john wrote:
Unfortunately, many atheists are antitheists. Foreshadowing where this thread will end up I'll ask a simple question. What position are defending? Disbelief is not belief, and mocking religion/God is usually the response to a simple question. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
I agree atheism is not a religion or a belief so why march around America to prove you don't believe? What's the point?

“Peace be with you.”

Since: Aug 08

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Epic fail
Hello friend :-) I am glad to see you and from the looks of your ISP you made your move safely :-) How has life been treating you this summer?
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Charlie wrote:
I do believe when I die, that is the end. I believe I had better live life to the fullest while I can. I believe I should work to insure my kids have a living enviorment to live in. I beleive I am responsable for my actions, not some myhical devil or god. I believe helping my fellow man is the proper conduct for myself as I'm sure no god is going to help. I don't believe hiding in a church praying for things to go well is going to help anyone, except the church to raise monety for a bigger church. Is that clear enough for you, Bubba?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

nmweatherman wrote:
If you are finished masturbating your "intellect," may I request that you godless really do ignore us and let us have our freedoms? As in call off your atheist attcak dogs?

My attack dogs are pretty gentle, and they're here in Mexico with me. They wont hurt you, nor will I. I will have no effect on you.

But here's the best part: you will have no effect on me. None of you. Even if you succeed in taking over the law books and the school books and bring back that good old time religion - cross burnings, holocausts, Inquisitions and burning heretics - you won't affect me any more.

That's a big part of the reason I left - to be away from fundie evangelicals. Republicans were a big part, too, so it's not all because of you

BTW, I encourage other liberal secularists Americans to consider doing the same thing. It's beautiful here, the cost of living is better, the standard of living is rising as it falls in America, and the people are nice. You don't have every other one a flaming, flag-waving, Bible-thumping zealot and hate media zombie, and that's a good thing.

And nobody talks about Jesus or spends your money on faith-based initiatives. There's no celebrity preachers, and they never shoot up their schools.

Geez, I just gave the man an honest answer to his question. You thought that that was intellectual? Thanks. But if it reminded you of masturbation, I've got a joke for you:

A guy goes to a shrink for Rorschach ink blot test.

"Tell what you see here?"

"I see a nude woman"

"And here?"

"I see a couple making love."

"And here?"

"I see a whole orgy."

"Sir, I think that you are overly preoccupied with sexual issues. You have a sex problem."

"*I* have a sex problem? You're the one with a desk full of dirty pictures."

Just saying. Now go wash up.

[QUOTE who="nmweatherman"]I feel sorry for you. You are empty, directionless, and you bow and worship at the cold barren alter of "science."
Why, because I accept science rather than throw sticks at the sky http://nirmukta.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/1...

And you need to work on your reading comprehension skills ("Hello, the third grade called, and it wants its ...never mind)
nmweatherman wrote:
Your motto seems to be "In Nothing We Trust." What a shallow life, shutting out man's spirituality and spiritual potential, and the possibilities the universe is rife with miracles, events exhibiting synchronicity and rippling through the rivers of time. The only things "science" seems to have discovered is how much "scinece" doesn't know (and perhaps never will).
And so you elevate yourself to a kind of god, a god of one, when actually your presence here in this universe is, if nothing, completely unimportant and irrelevant. We are truly (and our life spans are) dust in the wind. You just want to be king of dust particles.
Your life has no hope...you're just going to fade to black at the end. My life has hope and belief in all the possibilities.
Read the post again. I've got Jockomo. I'm so content and centered I could shit.
nmweatherman wrote:
While you've shut your door (except to dubious "cold hard" scientific "fact"), mine are wide open and avidly exploring.
In fact...I expect a miracle today.
If you can't find the miracle in the mundane, you're not going to find it anywhere. Won't you abandon your lifeless superstitions and seek Jockomo instead?
Charlie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

The fundamental attitude of atheists is skepticism. That's not necessarily a bad thing unless the skepticism becomes a dogmatic reflex. There's a difference, however, between a skepticism based on ignorance or lack of evidence, and one based on visceral hatred.

Many atheists may feel that they have been duped by religion, and this has wounded their pride, or that religion is trying to dupe them, so their position is defensive. But it is really arrogance that leads man to think that he might know all the answers, whether these derive from religious texts or rational, scientific methods, that sets the stage for the disappointment and anger people may eventually experience when these answers fail.

Religious authorities have certainly been arrogant in thinking that a book or faith or creed might provide all the answers. Scientific authorities have also been arrogant for thinking that a method might, also, provide all of the answers.

A bit of humility from all would go a long way towards healing the wounds.

Maybe one might just have to accept that there will be some things that we may never know, some questions to which we may never have answers.
Charlie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

nmweatherman wrote:
<quoted text>
They are the "religion" of Nothing. The "religion of "No." Grand inspirational vision? When your motto is "In Nothing We Trust"?
They are nothing more than effete rationalizers sitting around masturbating their intellects.
Oh, well…… nobody's perfect!

“Is that necessary?”

Since: Feb 09

Where I was born

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

If you are finished ... atheist attcak dogs?...
Really? No, I mean REALLY? WBC, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn... atheist attack dogs? Crusades, Inquisitions, Witch Hunts/Trials, Holocaust.... Really? National Day of Prayer, Faith-based Initiatives, Blue Laws...
I believe you just caused my favorite irony meter to implode.
Feel what you wish... it doesn't change or mean a thing to me. Nor, I'd wager any of my fellow atheists and rationalists.
My life is quite full. I have a great son who is beginning his journey into adulthood and who is going to fulfill his dream of being a chef... no juju or belief in the supernatural needed, or desired. Great family, great class, great students… certainly not empty.
My life is going in the same direction as every other human on this planet... the only way it can go, toward an end. No, I'd say there is certainly a clear direction there.
I neither bow, nor worship anyone or anything. No gods, no masters.
Cold? Barren? Hardly. Medicine, technology, these two branches especially are productive in leaps and bounds. All science is, really.. but the two mentioned, we see evidence of every day. HP Has a new computer. No, it’s Mac. Chevrolet has a hybrid car. No, it's Ford. Wait, no, Honda. Treatments, cures and vaccinations are researched and created daily. Hardly the definition of "barren". Cold? If by that you mean "indifferent", then yes, it is. But so is nature.
We do not have a motto. Some, many... possibly all of us have a personal motto; however, we do not organize ourselves into groups in order to stroke our sense of self worth, as the christers do. We have no need of that. We realize, because of science and mathematics, the unlikelihood of our existence, and yet we are here. We don't need a supernatural reason for it; the actual reasons for it are more fascinating, and backed by evidence.
If there were to be a motto, or a desire that united us in some way, shape, or form, I'd wager that it would be something like, "Keep your religions to yourself and do not inflict them upon others.” Or possibly, "Don't worry, be happy."
Shallow? More profound than believing in a juju that lives in the sky and cares whether or not I get up for a fashion show on Sunday mornings, or who and how I love. More profound than shrugging off logic and reason, to instead accept a faerie-tale created by bronze-aged, drunken sheepherders as some kind of guide to life, or as truth. Shallow? Hardly.
Again, throwing aside reality for some fantasy. No thank you. Reality is much much better.
Right, because as I said earlier, the computer on which you type, science had nothing to do with; the medicines that keep millions upon millions of humans alive every year, science had no hand in; the car that takes you back and forth throughout the day, the protections that are on the water you drink, the food you eat and even the air you breathe, science had NOTHING to do with keeping them as clean and disease free as they are.
And so you elevate yourself to a kind of god, a god of one,
Project much?
It's you silly christers and other religiots that insist that you are sooo important; that your juju made you to be the most important of his creations. Utter BS, that is. You are in no way more relevant than a fly, a gnat, a whale or an elephant. Oh, humans are quite a bit more destructive to the planet, but no more relevant than any other creature.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 141 - 160 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••