Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 68)

Showing posts 1,341 - 1,360 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
whatever

Lancaster, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Well said, finally a smart atheist. You said, You don't need a god to be religious--you can just appreciate the mystery and celebrate the holiness of life. I really don't understand why, the other
atheist can't comprehend this. Never in my life have I seen an ATHEIST get badge in the head to learn about God.
Buck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

satan/devil believes in, and is afraid of, GOD. appears satan/devil is smarter than "atheists".

i'd say, without contemplating the issue in the least, that atheists are rather ignorant dumb people.

all one has to do is look around, ponder all that is contained in the skies, on the earth, inside the earth, in space, and from where it came.

easy answer.

“Jesus who?”

Since: Feb 08

Montgomery, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

John wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to be accused of misinterpretation etc. so perhaps you should use your own words to define what EVERYTHING means. Sounds promising, haven't looked.
I was being sarcastic. That hollow earth idea is a load of crap too. I did find it rather hilarious so i thought I'd share it with the thread. Just trying to lighten the mood.
Bill Smith

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Judged:

BLASPHEMY - The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

“l'enfer, c'est les autres”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
so you admit that religion has evovled
and yet the bible stories claim that the bible god has been actively involved with humans since the begining
so, we're to believe that god partied with Adam and Eve, and then we turned into shaman/animal/force spirits, then pantheons, then came back to the mono-god who was tribal based, then turned into Santa and now is a monogod of mall curches and satellite shows?
what makes you think that the one true monogod is xtian? instead of other monogod religions?
by your own admission then, we're on the verge of replacing the monogods with the next step in religion
by that logic then, we have never have known the actual true one, since all gods in history have been false adn leading to the reveal of the real one
and that false ones include the current crop of gods
I do not respond to snide Canucks putting words in my mouth. Take a hike, eh? And take your breathtaking leaps of "logic" with you.
Bill Smith

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Judged:

Religion is like masturbation. It may feel good, but in the end you are only f@cking yourself.
proudredneck

Peoria, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

TomSawyer65 wrote:
<quoted text>
The designer(s) could have been a group of scientist from another planet. Actually, I can think of a lot of theories.
Evolution is a theory. Just like the creation story except evolution has more research and development behind it's theory.
a 'theory' is an 'unproven assumption'...Darwins THEORY is just that even though its taught as factual science..it is not actual 'science'...science to be 'factual' must be able to be duplicated and observed...so Darwins THEORY is just an assumption...beleive what you must...as for me and my family we will serve God.

...'Without Faith it is IMPOSSILE to be pleasing to God'...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

TomSawyer65 wrote:
<quoted text>
The designer(s) could have been a group of scientist from another planet. Actually, I can think of a lot of theories.
Evolution is a theory. Just like the creation story except evolution has more research and development behind it's theory.
I am willing to entertain alien design. But of course they too would go back to the Prime Mover. There are so many mysteries in the Universe, unusual paradigms, anomalies, dimensions, and endless time to play them all out. Science has discovered how much it doesn't know. Atheists massage their egos and try to impress everyone else how much they think they know. In fact atheists are far more narrow-minded than fundamentalist Christians.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
I hope that all of these marching atheists grasp the vital importance of breaking cadence when crossing bridges :)
Not going to be a problem since we tend to march to the beat of our own drum
john

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Hell is the rejection of God. You can accept or reject. Forced belief isn't really belief. Why is it thousands of you spend so much time asking questions about something you don't believe? I am interested in your nothing so tell me what that is a position of. I am embarrassed for all of you. Doctors with God complexes, philosophers, all stumped.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but the threat of eternal torture.(And that's your example of the action of an "all-loving" deity.)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Judged:

Bill Smith wrote:
Religion is like masturbation. It may feel good, but in the end you are only f@cking yourself.
Atheism is like masturbation...all alone, jerking your ego...

Since: Aug 09

London

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Proud redneck how did i join the rank and file i realised at 11 that i didnt believe in jesus and god the same way i dont believe in santa. So when u say i joined the rank and file and that im shallow plz explain?
And if you cant ...shhh

*Truth is not measured in mass appeal*
proudredneck

Peoria, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

whatever wrote:
Well said, finally a smart atheist. You said, You don't need a god to be religious--you can just appreciate the mystery and celebrate the holiness of life. I really don't understand why, the other
atheist can't comprehend this. Never in my life have I seen an ATHEIST get badge in the head to learn about God.
...'can a spring produce both good water and bad'...

It is either pure or polluted...a atheist cannot be religious and yet still believe in no God...that person is actually an agonistic...one that really can not make ones own mind...God said he would rather people be 'hot' or 'cold'...but luke warm people he would spit out of His mouth...

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
Antitheists do not want to be burdened by any rules of conduct and predictable have slaughtered by the millions. Antitheists wish to rationalize killing the most innocent as compassion and freeing for women. Antitheists fight constraints on their behavior and do not repect life. Their nothing gives them that right. Absolutely ridiculous statements. Your time would be better spent finding a position to defend. Why don't you, Kevorkian, and Nietzche, get over yourselves and jump into the water with the true freethinkers. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
<quoted text>
This is rediculous. What do athiests believe? Why would we believe anything? Why should I come to a conclusion without any facts to back it up? That is moronic.
HeavensToMergatr oid

Claremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

proudredneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis states clearly that God 'spoke' creation into existence...unless God stutters it didnt take 'millions' or 'billions' or 'trillions' of years...God spoke and the created elements obeyed.
Human beings are biological units populating a water-laden planet circling a sun in a remote part of a galaxy in a universe filled with billions of galaxies. We have risen to prominence on our planet because of the ever-increasing size of our brains and our ability to adapt to diverse and changing environmental conditions. Religion is a creation of Man, not of God, and it serves two basic purposes....1)to try to explain what happens to the conscious part of our brains after our biological functions cease and 2)to teach us how to societally exist in relation to our fellow human beings. For Purpose No. 1, religion is generally a complete failure because of its various forms' intolerance for other forms' views and those with non-religious views. As for purpose No. 2, religion generally succeeds with the exception of its extreme, fringe elements.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

H M Caulfield wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheists can easily search their own soul"
Strange statement! If one does not believe in god, surely they do not believe that they have a soul. Perhaps your meant conscience"? As an atheist and humanist, I try to do what is right simply because it is the right thing to do. One can be moral and compassionate without religion, perhaps moreso. I don't need a "god" to tell me that stealing from my neighbor, cheating on my wife, or killing someone is wrong. As far as other commandments, if there were an all powerful god, I don't think he would have the need to be worshipped and glorified. Question - if there is a god, wht doesn't he appear in the sky and say, "hey, I'm here, behave yourselves and knock off the bullsh!t"? Please don't give me the faith and free will garbage either. I've heard it my whole life.
I use the word soul, too. It has nothing to do with Christianity. It's your spirit, the human aspect of the self: the faculties of reason and conscience. I don't believe that they flew down from space when when I was only an amoeba like some people that I won't name believe.

It no more a concession to the reality of the Christian pantheon than calling yesterday Thursday is to the reality of Thor or the Viking pantheon.

"Fight the horde, sing and cry, Valhalla, I am coming!"

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

proudredneck wrote:
<quoted text>
a 'theory' is an 'unproven assumption'...Darwins THEORY is just that even though its taught as factual science..it is not actual 'science'...science to be 'factual' must be able to be duplicated and observed...so Darwins THEORY is just an assumption...beleive what you must...as for me and my family we will serve God.
...'Without Faith it is IMPOSSILE to be pleasing to God'...
Evolution has been observed you just won't admit it. Also, you are clueless about the scientific methodology. Keep to your superstitious mumbo jumbo.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

john wrote:
No, you did not answer the question despite your insistence. You have never provided a position you are defending and God is irrelevant at this point contextually. Are your arguments really that weak or is it just, " there is no God" nothing more to say. I'm not going to post lengthy comments to every attack when the embarrasment you call atheism has produced nothing and revels in it's glory.
<quoted text>
But I have NEVER attacked you.

You asked about morality and I answered.(My morals come from the same place yours do.)

You asked about atheism and I answered.(The ONLY position that defines atheism is no belief in invisible supernatural agents.)

You don't like the answers. Not my problem.

I have NEVER said "there is no god". I have said, repeatedly, that I have yet to hear anybody describe a clear set of properties for a deity which could possibly exist. Just look back at the last couple of posts and you can see 2 theists arguing over what one means by "god".

You seem to want me to say that I deny something, but then you refuse to define what it is I am supposed to deny. Without a clear understanding of the properties of this concept "god", there is nothing for me to deny.
GTFU

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

john wrote:
No, you did not answer the question despite your insistence. You have never provided a position you are defending and God is irrelevant at this point contextually. Are your arguments really that weak or is it just, " there is no God" nothing more to say. I'm not going to post lengthy comments to every attack when the embarrasment you call atheism has produced nothing and revels in it's glory.
<quoted text>
You know John, I have been lurking in these forums for quite a long time, and have gotten a pretty good feel for opinions of the posters on here. You with your smug little "Stump an Atheist" thing has worn real thin. People have provided an insight to their beliefs, that even Ray Charles could see, but you pontificate as if they have not and you have won some sort of moral victory in some way, shape or form. You still have not provided a context for your word "belief" though asked many times. I believe that the atheist side of this argument have provided MUCH more compelling of an argument than you. Therefore I believe you are either a stinking troll, or a mindless twit. Either way, if you are a good representation of a Christian, I believe I will join the atheist camp. Have a wonderful day.

Since: Nov 08

Fredericksburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Judged:

Surely much of the credit for the rise in atheism goes to the Christians.

Who hasn't been grossed out by the people calling themselves Christians today, and by the notably un-Christian things they've done?

The Republican Party--the party of treason--defines itself as the party of Christianity. That would drive anyone to atheism!

Welcome to the Kingdom of the Democrats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,341 - 1,360 of70,959
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••