Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70631 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

john

Waterloo, Canada

#1234 Sep 4, 2009
The only thing I am looking for as a position you are defending. Should have been home-schooled they test higher.
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
how are you paul
how is your god doing
good i hope
it is always a relief when he is good because then you are good
how is the project coming
has he sent a victim?
john

Waterloo, Canada

#1235 Sep 4, 2009
Do you have a position to defend that's required for debate. IF I remember you answere the question with one when I posted. Is there a true freethinker in this forum? More like no thinkers. My answer is two words, but, ya gotta have skin in the game.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is NOT an answer to the question. Let me ask again, where do your morals come from?
john

Waterloo, Canada

#1236 Sep 4, 2009
Utterly clueless. Get in line nothing. I don't play attack, defend, attack, defend. Enjoy your moral relativity and thanks for being one of a thousand of nothings that are stumpewd by posting a position they are defending in theit own words.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
What a hateful way to think.
Without god(s), Life is everything.
It is religion that cheapens life, specially of children. How many babies and young children were killed in the supposed flood? How many in Sodom & Gomorrah? Why did god harden the pharaoh's heart if it wasn't just an excuse to kill more children? How about Joshua & the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, etc.? Don't forget to stone all children who sass their parents.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#1237 Sep 4, 2009
laughingiris wrote:
[snipped b/o character limitations] So Atheists are a minority in this Nation, such as Smokers. When I see a non-smoking sign in a restaurant, school, building, etc. I do NOT smoke. If I want a cigarette, I go to a place where I can. I'm a MINORITY here! Yet, I am NOT pushing MY beliefs upon the Majority. When you pass a copy of the 10 Commandments upon gov't land, you feel the need to take it down. Correct?
As a Christian woman, I agree. Seperation of Church and State.
When it comes to the "PC" point of having to say 'Happy Holidays' vs.'Merry Christmas'...
Perhaps you should go the way of the Marlboro Man (the second one, the first one died of cancer) and mosey on down the trail to a spot where you are welcome to light up.
Not a bad argument.

Except that I'd say that the analogy to smoke-free is religion-free, not atheist-free. The smoke is analogous to the religious trappings and paraphernalia.

The non-smoker can't have a smoke-free environment in the presence of a smoking smoker, and if people are smoking everywhere, cannot get away from the smoke ever except perhaps in his personal space.

If the community is splattered with religious icons and tributes, such as the Ten Commandments in a court of law, or In God We Trust on the money, well, he's surrounded by it.

Just as with cigarettes, we have to decide if the public space is right for religion or not. Is it necessary. We don't make our sex life or our income public, and we keep a lot more of our lives to ourselves, like our favorite book or our weight or whatever.

Some of us don't like to be around religious stuff. This will offend you perhaps, but it's creepy to be around, the way anybody else's religion is creepy. Have you ever seen or been a Protestant at a mass, or gone into a Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall if you're not one. Try a nice Mormon Church, or a Christian Science reading room. Chills!

Well it's all that to me. I really consider it obscene to see a near naked guy nailed to wood and dying. Can you see where that might be creepy to an outsider, and why he may not want his children seeing it? That's a nightmarish torture and snuff scene to anyone not a part of it.

I'm a rabid antireligionist, but personally, I like Christmas time. I would hate to see it go into the closet.

Fennario

#1238 Sep 4, 2009
John wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll leave a post blank for you sometime. That seems to be what passes as impressive in this thread.
Don't move, Stump. Just stand there. You ARE a blank post: http://snipurl.com/rljq7
jack13

Newcastle, CA

#1239 Sep 4, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not described an atheist per se. You have described a secular humanist, many who are probably atheists, but also, many who are likely agnostics.
All which goes to prove my point. Atheism, as a rational system, is not merely a disbelief in God, but it is the bedrock of an entire philosophical system.
There is the other sort of atheism and atheist, the emotional, hysterical kind, that refuses reason and logic because of personal issues.
I see. It is logical to believe in a mythical character bases on faibles started 6,000 years ago to explain natural occuring events, such as lightening and floods. A religion that has taken from many other cultures, their religious stories and incorporated them into their religion. One that has not one fact to back up their contention that there is such a god. Yet it is illogical for any rational person to disbelieve in such a god and only those who have personal issues refuse to have faith in their fantasy? It seems to me you have a lot of personal issues to keep insisting your god is real in the face of reality. Just what philosophical system does it take to say, I've looked at the lack of facts for the proof of any god so why waste my life hoping I'm wrong?

Fennario

#1240 Sep 4, 2009
UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
Terrible. Everything is going horribly wrong. Suppose to TP this church with some friends. One of my friends went without calling the rest of us. He got caught and is now in jail. I'm sitting here bored, watching you and your Atheist buddies having the fun.<quoted text>
Good one, Duc. We don't have to respect one another's opinions to have some fun riffing off each other. The Stiff (Alex) and the Stump (like anybody doesn't know who Stumpy the Antitheist Stumper is) could take a page from your book and learn a little from you.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1241 Sep 4, 2009
john wrote:
Nope, you believe killing the most innocent of your kind should be a legal right.
<quoted text>
“We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.”-- Mr. Justice Blackmun, SCOTUS, 1973

Fennario

#1242 Sep 4, 2009
John wrote:
I made it clear a position to defend is necessary in debate.
Am I in trouble, Stump?

Does this mean that I might not get to debate you? Why are you so cruel, Stump?

So does this mean that you won't go fetch?

Fennario

#1243 Sep 4, 2009
Stump John wrote:
Nothing bless
Is this code?

Fennario

#1244 Sep 4, 2009
John wrote:
I don't believe it.
That's pretty good coming from you. Time was that there was nothing you didn't believe.

Fennario

#1245 Sep 4, 2009
keltec 9mm wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. They may end being just as bad as our nation's public school system.
Charol Shakeshaft, a Hofstra University researcher who prepared a federal report on public school sexual abuse, submitted written testimony to the Colorado Legislature that stated:“The physical sexual abuse of students in public schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests.” Her testimony said most of the accused are shifted from one school to another and are seldom fired.
http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2006/0...
One of every ten public school students may experience some form of sexual abuse from public school employees, a U. S. Department of Education (DOE) study shows.
http://www.campusreportonline.net/main/articl...
"Hurry up, Tommy, you don't want to miss the school bus!"
They're mostly Christians too. Yikes.

This is why America needs a faithless-based initiative this time, for vouchers to atheist schools, schools NOT staffed by Christian predators.

Fennario

#1246 Sep 4, 2009
LWsciencejunkie wrote:
<quoted text>
I gett hat you don't believe it!
Now...come up with an example of humor that does NOT have negativity at it's core!!!
This is a fun exercise; I really worked on it in middle school when it was assigned to our class. We kids tried EVERYTHING, but couldn't come up with one single example!
Q: What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

A: A carrot

You're still right in spirit. The exception just proves the rule.(Did you ever wonder where that gem came from, or why people accept it as wisdom? Me too. And religion.)

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1247 Sep 4, 2009
john wrote:
Do you have a position to defend that's required for debate. IF I remember you answere the question with one when I posted. Is there a true freethinker in this forum? More like no thinkers. My answer is two words, but, ya gotta have skin in the game.
<quoted text>
No, your question was about morality, to which I answered by stating that my morals come from the same place yours do, and it's not the bible.

You have be told the atheistic position repeatedly. So either you don't want to hear it or are incapable of fully understanding it. I'll go with you really just don't want it to be that simple.

Either way, one more time from the top. The ONLY position that defines atheism is no belief in invisible supernatural agents (entities, deities, whatever).

Anything beyond that is NOT part and parcel atheism but an individuals own personal baggage.

You want a little more personal slant to consider. I have yet to hear anybody describe a clear set of properties for a deity which could possibly exist. Theists use the word "god" as if it means exactly the same thing to everybody. But when pushed for more clarity, it becomes apparent that there are about as many descriptions for "god" as there are theists. That lack of clarity not only proves of how vivid our imaginations can be, but also how amorphic the entire theistic belief system is.

To argue the existence or non-existence of a thing which has yet to be clearly described is absurd. So, would you care to describe the properties of the concept "god"?

“"Progressive & Proud"”

Since: Aug 09

Dunkirk, NY

#1248 Sep 4, 2009
Librahoppa wrote:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.-Seneca the Younger
It was a means to keep the poor from killing the rich and taking their stuff, wife,etc. It's based on fear, kind of like the current conservative philosophy.
jack13

Newcastle, CA

#1249 Sep 4, 2009
john wrote:
What is the answer Deb? Show me the self reported intellect, substance, evidence based logic. You insist to have as an atheist despite evidence to the contrary. Will you lurk on the sidelines as well refusing to defend a position for others to refute, debate, agree with or mock. Stump Deb hold her to her own standards.
<quoted text>
What a joke. What "evidence" do you have of the existence of any god? Present it and you will get a lot of converts. Logic indicates as there is no evidence of the existence of any god, it is illogical to waste your time waiting for the evidence to show up. Stop bleeting like some sheep being led to slaughter. Your not a victim. You have your faith. Great. Injoy it, but why try to convice us we have no right to reject your personal belief? This is still America and one of the few rights we have left is to say, get lost.

Fennario

#1250 Sep 4, 2009
D_M_H wrote:
I have been taking a really good look around, all over this world, for almost fifty years. There is no god.
laughingiris wrote:
50 yrs. Have you given birth???
Wait? Where have you been keeping god?

Fennario

#1251 Sep 4, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>Research conducted by a Dutch scholar, Dr. C. Snouk Hurgronje, was published in The Christian Statesman in 1930. Dutch scholar, Dr. C. Snouk Hurgronje located the only surviving Arabic copy of the treaty and found that when translated, Article 11 was actually a letter, mostly gibberish, from the dey of Algiers to the ruler of Tripoli, and was not a part of the original treaty. Barlow mistakenly included it in the Treaty and Congress foolishly approved the Treaty. So the Treaty of Tripoli proves nothing.
America was definitely founded by Christians and US laws and customs are based on Christian values and morals. That's why the US does not permit polygamy, for example, and had required Utah to abandon that practice as a condition for statehood. It is also why the question of slavery was eventually fought over and why it is no longer permitted. It was why the civil rights movement, led by a Christian pastor, was able to succeed.
One does not see these sort of things happening in non-Christian based civilizations. That is so glaringly evident.
You should beware of all the revisionist history that you are being brainwashed with.
<quoted text>Do I detect an air of superiority here? Is your religion better, or is it just you who is the superior person? That's it, isn't it? It's pride! Overweening pride that drives atheists.
<quoted text>There you go with that worshipful attitude towards science. again. But you have mostly demonstrated my points.
Are you a product of the modern American educational system? You know, the one that ranks 24th in mathematics, 9th in science, 7th in reading, and 20th in problem solving.
That education you got also made you into a two dimensional person, and perhaps robbed you of any sense of awe you might have had for the mystery of existence. You see, science has been marvelously successful in certain areas of life, and so, everyone wanted to be like scientists. That explains the joke of the social sciences, for example.
Let's measure everything! If it can't be measured, it's not real…… etc.
This is no reproach towards science. I have admiration for its accomplishments also. But science is also a human endeavor and it is not immune from human foibles. Humans are the problem with science as they are with religion.
Dr. Snouk? In the Snizz?

"Brian enters Hillary Clinton's vagina to find the snuke, but ends up being killed by what lives inside." http://snipurl.com/rlkh5

Fennario

#1252 Sep 4, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>Research conducted by a Dutch scholar, Dr. C. Snouk Hurgronje, was published in The Christian Statesman in 1930. Dutch scholar, Dr. C. Snouk Hurgronje located the only surviving Arabic copy of the treaty and found that when translated, Article 11 was actually a letter, mostly gibberish, from the dey of Algiers to the ruler of Tripoli, and was not a part of the original treaty. Barlow mistakenly included it in the Treaty and Congress foolishly approved the Treaty. So the Treaty of Tripoli proves nothing.
America was definitely founded by Christians and US laws and customs are based on Christian values and morals. That's why the US does not permit polygamy, for example, and had required Utah to abandon that practice as a condition for statehood. It is also why the question of slavery was eventually fought over and why it is no longer permitted. It was why the civil rights movement, led by a Christian pastor, was able to succeed.
One does not see these sort of things happening in non-Christian based civilizations. That is so glaringly evident.
You should beware of all the revisionist history that you are being brainwashed with.
<quoted text>Do I detect an air of superiority here? Is your religion better, or is it just you who is the superior person? That's it, isn't it? It's pride! Overweening pride that drives atheists.
<quoted text>There you go with that worshipful attitude towards science. again. But you have mostly demonstrated my points.
Are you a product of the modern American educational system? You know, the one that ranks 24th in mathematics, 9th in science, 7th in reading, and 20th in problem solving.
That education you got also made you into a two dimensional person, and perhaps robbed you of any sense of awe you might have had for the mystery of existence. You see, science has been marvelously successful in certain areas of life, and so, everyone wanted to be like scientists. That explains the joke of the social sciences, for example.
Let's measure everything! If it can't be measured, it's not real…… etc.
This is no reproach towards science. I have admiration for its accomplishments also. But science is also a human endeavor and it is not immune from human foibles. Humans are the problem with science as they are with religion.
Here's what the members of Congress UNANIMOUSLY signed their names to:

"The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion." -- Treaty of Tripoli, 1798. UNANIMOUSLY approved by Congress and signed by John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

Fail.

Fennario

#1253 Sep 4, 2009
Charlie wrote:
This is no reproach towards science. I have admiration for its accomplishments also.
Idolator! Read your Ten Commandments!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 42 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 20,230
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 54 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 420
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Joncy David 45,427
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 3 hr ATHEOI 420
News Atheist Rev. Gretta Vosper should be terminated... 3 hr ATHEOI 5
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr ChristineM 10,330
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 4 hr Thinking 538
More from around the web