Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#1008 Sep 3, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Testimony is evidence. But just deny the testimony of others. That would be so much more convenient for your dogma.
Eyewitness testimony in the courtroom is evidence to be considered by a judge or jury and is now known to be highly unreliable and subject to all sorts of biases. So, in the world of science personal testimony is useless.

Only in religion do people believe absurd extraordinary claims that have no evidence to back them up. Confirmation bias much?
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1009 Sep 3, 2009
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does your morality come from?
The bible cannot be the source of moral guidance UNLESS you filter out all the immoral commands that are in it (stoning children who sass, killing all witches, slavery are all part of the commandments that appear in Exodus right after the big 10). So, if you are filtering out things in the bible that do not fit our modern cultural ethic, then it cannot be said that the bible is any kind of moral guidebook.
So, where do your morals come from?
Are you guys cloned by Science drools or what!? Sheesh, you are a bitter bunch completely lacking anything but disbelief. What a narrow and limited worldview.
Charlie

Papeete, French Polynesia

#1010 Sep 3, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
it is time that churches and their parishioners paid their fair share of national taxation.
It is time to take the gloves off when dealing with the religious and their institutions.
Religious indoctrination of those under the age of majority should be considered child abuse under Law
Faithers found uninvited on doorsteps should be sued for trespass and subject to felony intimidation charges if they have threatened any one at that residence.
Another non-substantive, hissy, atheist rant! You girls really should get a life!
Charlie

#1011 Sep 3, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bunch of crap. We are not the most prosperous nation in the world. We were at one time. Not now. We are the most heavily armed nation in the world. We have less freedom than any of the Scandinavian countries. We also have the largest prison population in the world. We have the dubious honor of putting more people to death than any industrialized nation in the world. We have the worlds worst rates of infant mortality, teen age pregnancy, only Mexico ranks higher, and children living in poverty in the world. American 15-year olds rank seventh from the bottom onthe measures of average educational achievement. As religion has taken over what we can read in our schools and libraries by controlling school book selection, America's math and reading skills have declined sharply. Now these are the facts. We are willing to spend billions on weapons, billions on invading other countries, but become scrooges when it comes to health care. Over the last ten years, we have spent more money building prisons in America, that we have school building. And just what atheist countriies are you referring too? Be specific when you toss around statements like that Your not on a christian form here. We need facts to back up wild statements. This nation was not built by churches. It was built by hard working men of every religion, nationality, and race that came here to enjoy our freedoms. The very ones you wish to take asway.
Take your meds, Jack!
Drink The Hive

Orlando, FL

#1012 Sep 3, 2009
French Polynesia Nice Place 2 Relax,My Mother-In-Law Is From There.

She Has A Dancing Naked Male Club 4 The Europeans & North Americans Social Security Widows.

Good Money.
god is imaginary

Edmonton, Canada

#1015 Sep 3, 2009
StymieRay wrote:
<quoted text>

no matter whether you believe, or don't believe, you meet GOD & JESUS in the end.
god is just as imaginary as your Jebus,you silly kristain

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#1016 Sep 3, 2009
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have dyslexia. I try to check my spelling but sometimes I miss words. Others I see after I post are just typos.
Google it If Im wrong on something I'd like to know it.No one get it all right.There is a ton of miss info out there after all.
My son is also dyslexic, find a good spell check that suggests similarly spelled words. Cuts down on the problem. Chatspeakers are also difficult for me to understand.

I myself get in a hurry and don't proof what I have typed. No big deal. Ad hominem attacks on one's spelling and grammar (unless it is truly atrocious) are signs of a small mind.

As an afterthought, some of the people posting here do not use English as their first language. This is the INTERnet after all.
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1017 Sep 3, 2009
I would like to thank this antitheist forum for comically revealing that behind the collective hubris and snark lies no position to defend. That's a tough sell and you helped those who doubt and question to look for something other than your nothing.

Please continue regaling us with your nothingness. I'll jump back in every few pages just for fun. The curtains already been pulled back. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.

Charlie

#1018 Sep 3, 2009
Truck Nuts wrote:
There seems to be a thought on this forum that for some reason Sweden is an athiest country.
WRONG!
As of 2008, 72.9% of the Swedes were members of the Lutheran church.
* 23% of Swedish citizens responded that "they believe there is a God".
* 53% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force".
* 23% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force".
So again, I ask, tell me of one successful civilization in the history of mankind that is atheist?
That civilization only exists in the future in the imagination of the atheist mind.

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#1020 Sep 3, 2009
UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
<quoted text>I would love to follow to your link, but I realize doing so would still be a waste of my time.
If you're pondering why I still reply to you, it's because like I said.
Throw some silly comments in, watch you get worked up about it, secretly laugh at you behind my screen, count the errors you make in your posts, and just "toy" with you until I'm done.
Keep at it, boy.
You're doing good so far at keeping my entertainment.
A closed mind is a total waste. If you think your profile name, silly avatar and braggadocio are impressing the good doctor.....well, your ego problem is your own.

There is plenty of entertainment here, you're just not on the side you think you are. Thanks for the chuckle anyway;0)
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1021 Sep 3, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
Eyewitness testimony in the courtroom is evidence to be considered by a judge or jury and is now known to be highly unreliable and subject to all sorts of biases. So, in the world of science personal testimony is useless.
Only in religion do people believe absurd extraordinary claims that have no evidence to back them up. Confirmation bias much?
One eyewitness, two, a thousand? It's a piece of a puzzle and often a large one. Eyewitness testimony is highly reliable in most cases. Only in nothing do people believe science is the arena for measuring a supernatural world. Only in nothing do people think unassailable evidence will ever be garnered in science. Oh, let's let science fill in those gaps.

There is plenty of evidence for many believers, it just can't meet the standard you set. What's interesting is you can't meet the standard you set. Brilliant. Nothing much?
Yev

Marlborough, MA

#1022 Sep 3, 2009
A question for Christians. Do you believe that every thing in the bible is literally true? If not on what basis do you pick and choose?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#1023 Sep 3, 2009
RELIGION IS FADING AWAY IN AMERICA

From today's
The Buffalo News (Sep 03, 2009):
http://snipurl.com/rl50e

"A few years ago, Tyler Manley would have considered himself a Presbyterian.

"If asked about his religion today, he will confess he doesn't have one. Nor does he believe in God.

"The United States remains one of the most religious countries in the world, but Manley is part of one of the steadiest trends in the national landscape of faith … the growing number of Americans who profess no religious affiliation.

"Social scientists often call them the "nones" … a broad category that includes atheists and agnostics, as well as those who believe in a higher power but don't cite a particular faith.

"Studies indicate they make up as much as 16 percent of the U.S. population, and researchers expect that the numbers will continue to grow.

"You're just getting a lot of people drifting away," said Barry A. Kosmin, research professor in the Public Policy & Law Program at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn."
Jimmy

Medina, OH

#1024 Sep 3, 2009
God will always WIN! We will pray for these
misguided lost people.

“Jesus who?”

Since: Feb 08

Conroe, TX

#1025 Sep 3, 2009
It aint necessarily so wrote:
your use of the term "time dilation" is anomalous (see "twin paradox").
I learned a new word, I've never even wondered the definition of "anomalous" until now. time dilation was the best thing I could find that seemed like what i was trying to say, but i think the twin paradox thought experiment is a better fit. It makes me think of Stephen Kings "The Langoliers"!

“Jesus who?”

Since: Feb 08

Conroe, TX

#1026 Sep 3, 2009
StymieRay wrote:
<quoted text>
donot fret. santa, m&m's, atheists, every single person on the planet will get to meet GOD.
no matter whether you believe, or don't believe, you meet GOD & JESUS in the end.
Wow that's deep! I've heard it a million times already. Same broken record. That's all "evidence" you have?
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1027 Sep 3, 2009
tampabayallstar wrote:
<quoted text>I am a winner Yea. I will be expecting my million dollar sweepstakes check in the mail. Probably a better chance of that , than being banished to hell for not believing lmao.
Hey, there's a snarky little star from a Christian thread I remmber. What is it? You believe in yourself. Yep, that's it. LOL
Charlie

#1028 Sep 3, 2009
<quoted text>
Then you invite me to blaspheme your piece of crap god and his effeminate son.
Hey! You guys are the girly ones with your constant hissy fits!
Here comes the persecuted victim speech.
<quoted text>
Yeah, school me with your live free or die crap. Don't tread on you, right? Water the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots, tenth amendment, second amendment, tea bags - blah blah blah ... blah blah. You're boring.
<quoted text>
Keep trying with that.
Do you say that about the anti-truthers who deny the Bush administration's involvement in 911 or the birthers who deny the validity of Obama's birth certificate? Of course not, because you don't really believe what you wrote (definition of a lie). You just want to invalidate the atheist rejection of your myth with this lunacy repeated ad infinitum ad nauseum.
All of those positions can be reformulated as positive beliefs: I believe that theists are wrong, al Q'aeda acted alone and Obama is an illegitimate president.
But being a dissembler like the Stump, you liars just keep twisting the words and define them as invalid and sad.
Hey, Charlie if its not in front of, beside, above or behind me, where is it? B'LOW ME!
If you only had a dick………
Enlighten me, theist: http://snipurl.com/rfl0s
See? What did I tell you? Hissy fits!
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1029 Sep 3, 2009
So believing in a higher power, but, not accepting a particular faith gets lumped into the nothings? Heck, I would have thought the percentage higher? God is not enhanced or diminished by these #'s no matter which way they trend. How is that God complex going? Stump a doctor! Ask him what he believes.
RELIGION IS FADING AWAY IN AMERICA
From today's
The Buffalo News (Sep 03, 2009):
http://snipurl.com/rl50e
"A few years ago, Tyler Manley would have considered himself a Presbyterian.
"If asked about his religion today, he will confess he doesn't have one. Nor does he believe in God.
"The United States remains one of the most religious countries in the world, but Manley is part of one of the steadiest trends in the national landscape of faith … the growing number of Americans who profess no religious affiliation.
"Social scientists often call them the "nones" … a broad category that includes atheists and agnostics, as well as those who believe in a higher power but don't cite a particular faith.
"Studies indicate they make up as much as 16 percent of the U.S. population, and researchers expect that the numbers will continue to grow.
"You're just getting a lot of people drifting away," said Barry A. Kosmin, research professor in the Public Policy & Law Program at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn."
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1030 Sep 3, 2009
Yev wrote:
A question for Christians. Do you believe that every thing in the bible is literally true? If not on what basis do you pick and choose?
I'll get to that just as soon as the antitheists come up with a position of their own to defend. Sorry looks like it will be a long wait. The nothings will tell you we are all fundamentalists, but, they aren't right about much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 43 min waaasssuuup 228,544
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Andre 683
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 1 hr Patrick 5
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 3 hr Patrick 140
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 4 hr Patrick 150
Is Religion Childish? 7 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr _Bad Company 22,919

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE