Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments (Page 5)

Showing posts 81 - 100 of70,907
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Cujo

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Judged:

john wrote:
Unfortunately, many atheists are antitheists. Foreshadowing where this thread will end up I'll ask a simple question. What position are defending? Disbelief is not belief, and mocking religion/God is usually the response to a simple question. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
I believe the world would be much better without religion.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>Reason number 1. The earth is in the perfect place in the universe the universe is a pretty nasty place supernovas blackholes huge astroids but were still here..
tell it to the dinosaurs
SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>2 We have a perfect solar system think about it we have 4 huge planets that protects us from huge astriods and dangrous comets.....
again, dinosaurs

the earth could be hit by any number of large comets in any year
SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>.3 We can explore our universe without the problem of too many stars...../QUOTE]

oh dear

[QUOTE who="SANDY"]<quot ed text> God does not exist mmmm I can't help but disagree with that.
of course you can't disagree, because you have exactly zero understanding of science

so it makes sense ou fallback to the uneducated answer goddidit which really amounts to "IdunnoIdunwannaknow "
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Judged:

Irish Rose wrote:
...Prayer is a powerful thing....
no, powerful things are actually effective

prayer is a manipulative thing as it promises big reward for no effort

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Cujo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the world would be much better without religion.
I'll second that.
Irish Rose

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Depends on how you look at prayer. I really think there is powerful energy inside us all. Prayer would be like positive thinking. Even in the very religouse prayer is only answered when God deems it is right for them.
King Tut

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Judged:

Secular Humanist Progressive are on the march and are getting sore feet and heat stroke as they chant "Down with American values!!!!" and the public is not buying it!!!!!
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Irish Rose wrote:
Depends on how you look at prayer. I really think there is powerful energy inside us all. Prayer would be like positive thinking...
we have chemical, electrical and mechanical energy in us

postive thinking is more properly wishful thinking

do you really want to say that Africans who are starving or dying of AIDs need to think positively?

what about children in the US with terminal cancer and won't live to be a teenager? are they just polly pessimists?
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

infidel wrote:
One of the benefits of atheism is that it frees us to look beyond religion's prescribed possibilities for meaning in our lives and to look to ourselves, our talents, and the many ways we can create joy and beauty in this world, however temporary that may be.
Right now, my chosen mission is to crate music that makes people happy while also providing food for thought and contemplation. As they present themselves, I also take opportunities to help people free themselves from the anger that damages so many relationships and evokes such tragedy and violence in our world. I find more meaning in these activities than I could ever find through subservience to some imagined deity.
Anyone who believes that religion provides the only or even the primary way to find meaning lacks vision.
Very well said. At least your providing happiness. Christians don't dare be happy.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Irish Rose wrote:
Depends on how you look at prayer. I really think there is powerful energy inside us all. Prayer would be like positive thinking. Even in the very religouse prayer is only answered when God deems it is right for them.
It doesn't matter how you look it it, but thank you for your OPINION. In my opinion, prayer is an abject waste of time.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

King Tut wrote:
Secular Humanist Progressive are on the march and are getting sore feet and heat stroke as they chant "Down with American values!!!!" and the public is not buying it!!!!!
No? You think the "public" is not buying atheism? How about this:

Atheists have always constituted a very small percentage of the population. The number of people who identify themselves as Atheists has grown rapidly, particularly over the last few decades. This increase may have been partly caused by the decline of attendance at Sunday schools, and churches. It probably also reflects the general increase in secularism within society. Many Atheists who feel a need for spiritual discussion, fellowship in a religious community, and ritual join a congregation of the Unitarian-Universalist Association.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/atheist1.ht...

Furthermore, your so-called "American Values" have nothing to do with religion. You are a typical knee-jerk, closed-minded religious nutcase.
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>Reason number 1. The earth is in the perfect place in the universe the universe is a pretty nasty place supernovas blackholes huge astroids but were still here. Is it by chance or did someone make it that way. reason number.2 We have a perfect solar system think about it we have 4 huge planets that protects us from huge astriods and dangrous comets. Is that by chance that we have four huge planets that shield us from most dangers in the universe or is there something more to having four huge shield planets then by chance. Reason number.3 We can explore our universe without the problem of too many stars. Because if we had too many stars near our planet( If we lived closer to the milky way center) then the only thing we would see is yellow and we probabaly need super powerfull sungasses because our eyes can't even stand one star. If we can explore our universe almost perectly without the problem of too many stars or other problems like astriods then is this just by chance or did something or someone make were we can study the universe without much diffoculty. God does not exist mmmm I can't help but disagree with that.
I was taught on this thread that that type of thinking is mud puddle thinking. As he explained it, if you see a mud puddle and its full of water, you don't say the mud puddle was created just for the water. I think I got that from a guy in Chapis, Mexico. You might try reading a few of his posts, that is if you dare. Do you have any concept of the number of of galaxies there are in the universe and how many stars are in a galaxy? How about the number of planets around those stars? and how long it took earth to have the conditions for the start of life on our planet? And how many species of animals died out prior to humans? And the time it took for earth to evolve enough for human's to survive? And you think a god really cares what you did last night? I can't believe you believe that.
Irish Rose

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
we have chemical, electrical and mechanical energy in us
postive thinking is more properly wishful thinking
do you really want to say that Africans who are starving or dying of AIDs need to think positively?
what about children in the US with terminal cancer and won't live to be a teenager? are they just polly pessimists?
Maybe. You will find some very happy people who are facing dire consequences. Some people find beauty in everything some do not and there are always those in between. Seem people have outlandish needs some are just happy to be.
Irish Rose

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

melevy wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter how you look it it, but thank you for your OPINION. In my opinion, prayer is an abject waste of time.
So it does matter how you look at it...you look at it as nothing...that matters...and I look at it as something...and that matters.
You may not value my opinion but I value yours and respect it even if I don't agree.
Second Coming of Dave D

Mount Laurel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Judged:

King Tut wrote:
Secular Humanist values are superior to the original Christian values that this country was founded on, which included these gems:

- Black people are less human than white people, and can be bought and sold as slaves.

- Black people cannot own property or vote.

- Women cannot own property or vote.

- Blacks and whites cannot legally intermarry.

See? It's true - Secular Humanist values are much better than the Christian values this nation was founded upon.
jack13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

King Tut wrote:
If the public is not buying it, then why was a born again christian replaced by a black, liberal, president? What are you condemning in the secular humanistic approach? Take care of the poor? Grant equal rights to all Americans, not just the priveledged few? Racial equality? Taking the blame for what you have done? Care of the enviorment? Just what American values are being lost? Isn't those values most Americans support? Or are you speaking about the loss of faith in a god? If so, I was not aware of that being an excusive value of just christians. I'll have to go back and read the First Amendment to the Constitution.
SANDY

Spirit Lake, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, you have it backwards. Life evolved on this planet to fit the conditions. This planet was not engineered to support life. How do you explain the eight other planets in this solar system which have no life? "god's" failures? This is significant geological evidence that shows that the Earth has been hit by object (comets, meteorites, etc.) in the past, so that debunks your point #2. Your point #3 is nonsense.
It's obvious that your church newsletter is not an accurate source of your information on the origin of the universe or life. Try learning some real science. What you've posted is just complete nonsense.
Why didn't life evolve on Jupiter. So what your telling me is that we adapted to oxygon by evolution so millions of years ago we caould not breath air are you saying that. Tell me how is reason number3. is nonsense. Really because our solar system could be closer to the milky way center but it's not and it's not in the outer arms of the galexy.
SANDY

Spirit Lake, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Second Coming of Dave D wrote:
<quoted text>
Secular Humanist values are superior to the original Christian values that this country was founded on, which included these gems:
- Black people are less human than white people, and can be bought and sold as slaves.
- Black people cannot own property or vote.
- Women cannot own property or vote.
- Blacks and whites cannot legally intermarry.
See? It's true - Secular Humanist values are much better than the Christian values this nation was founded upon.
Little fact for you did you know stalin was an athiest.
Fed up

Oxford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>really next youll tell me the dinosaurs were put here to test your faith roflps there is no god,prove to me there is
Prove to me that there isn't.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>Why didn't life evolve on Jupiter. So what your telling me is that we adapted to oxygon by evolution so millions of years ago we caould not breath air are you saying that. Tell me how is reason number3. is nonsense. Really because our solar system could be closer to the milky way center but it's not and it's not in the outer arms of the galexy.
It could be but it isn't, and the only reason you can think of is "goddidit?" Pathetic. Can you tell me with 100% certainty that there are no solar systems with planets that contain life in either of those areas? Your arguments are weak. You lack a basic understanding of science and the discoveries that have been made that discredit your religion.

Did you know that the bible says the Earth is flat and that the sun ans stars revolve around the Earth? Do you believe that?

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>Little fact for you did you know stalin was an athiest.
Whether or not Stalin was an atheist is irrelevant. What he did he did not do as a result of religion. It was power and political ambition, no more. Did you know that Hitler was a christian? And that he did, in fact, commit his atrocities under the name of christianity?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of70,907
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••