Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

“STOP HUSSEIN!!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Kenya

#988 Sep 3, 2009
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion." – Nobelist Steven Weinberg

Religion is a component of Philosophy, the two overlap in certain areas.

You must believe in some philosophy if you quote it.

Philosophy is composed of logic, epistemology, ethics, aesthetics, and the big one metaphysics.

All religions contain all or some of these components.

But these elements are dependent on one another. That is, it is hard to talk about ethics without including metaphysics. Because you have to understand the evolution of Philosophy and the relationship to the belief in the supernatural.

E.g. the reward for being good (ethics) was to go to heaven (metaphysics).

Its easy for you atheists to simply disregard the metaphysical aspects, but in reality without metaphysics in historical context we would have not developed into such a compassionate society.
Drink The Hive

Orlando, FL

#989 Sep 3, 2009
I Believe In God,When God Becomes A Market Outlook Commoditie Be Afraid.

5000 Yr History Of Pure Blood,Looking 4 The "Real God."

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#990 Sep 3, 2009
UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
<quoted text>I would love to follow to your link, but I realize doing so would still be a waste of my time.
If you're pondering why I still reply to you, it's because like I said.
Throw some silly comments in, watch you get worked up about it, secretly laugh at you behind my screen, count the errors you make in your posts, and just "toy" with you until I'm done.
Keep at it, boy.
You're doing good so far at keeping my entertainment.
My pleasure, Gimp.

By the way, as far as your motto,“Don't under estimate me” goes, you have nothing to worry about there. I promise you that that will never happen.
Charlie

Papeete, French Polynesia

#991 Sep 3, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
How clever. Can you always vomit at will?
Except for the 'supernatural', right? Wait, where did I put that evidence..........
Hmmm……… nothing substantive here!
“Is a sky pixie willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then it is not omnipotent.
Is it able, but not willing?
Then it is malevolent.
Is it both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is it neither able nor willing?
Then why call it sky pixie?”
Epicurus
Has it occurred to you that Epicurus was at clueless as you are? Still, I had never seen any mention of sky pixies. Maybe you misread that. I think he was speaking of gods.
We are wicked and like to torture xtians.
Why am I not surprised!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#992 Sep 3, 2009
John wrote:
So when it is quantifiable it becomes real or before? I hate to get off the subject that you have not posted the position you are willing to defend, but, where does your morality come from? Now, don't throw a hissy fit and paint the question into me saying atheists can't be moral. I've already said differently. That position you are defending would be nice as well BTW.
Where does your morality come from?

The bible cannot be the source of moral guidance UNLESS you filter out all the immoral commands that are in it (stoning children who sass, killing all witches, slavery are all part of the commandments that appear in Exodus right after the big 10). So, if you are filtering out things in the bible that do not fit our modern cultural ethic, then it cannot be said that the bible is any kind of moral guidebook.

So, where do your morals come from?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#993 Sep 3, 2009
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>And yet, you still haven't figured out that we're not taking the bait. You can write your own thesis. You are not owed anything. So keep waiting.
Dumb as a Stump he is, I tells ya.

“Researching”

Since: Jun 08

-

#994 Sep 3, 2009
<quoted text>
My pleasure, Gimp.
By the way, as far as your motto,“Don't under estimate me” goes, you have nothing to worry about there. I promise you that that will never happen.
So how does it feel to be an Atheist?
StymieRay

Bossier City, LA

#995 Sep 3, 2009
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and Santa Clase believes in the M&M guys to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Knidq8QClHwXX&feature=rel ated
donot fret. santa, m&m's, atheists, every single person on the planet will get to meet GOD.

no matter whether you believe, or don't believe, you meet GOD & JESUS in the end.

Since: Jul 08

Boulder, CO

#996 Sep 3, 2009
<quoted text>
The Supreme Court said, huh? The SCOTUS is a disgrace. It also said that marijuana was not medicine and that George Bush was president.
<quoted text>
Atheism and secular humanism are religions because American jurisprudence (LOL) says so? Groovy!
This’ll just give atheists a chance to call themselves clergy, get tax for breaks for teaching atheism, and jobs as cruise ship chaplains, not to mention having their communications with other atheists protected from legal discovery.
Let me begin the festivities by establishing the First Atheist Church of the Non Credo Quia Absurdum. We have no building, no scripture, no beliefs in common except that religionists are delusional, no dogma, no rituals, no observances except Festivus and the Fifteenth of April, and we never meet.
Happy?
Can April 20 be another holiday?

“Is that necessary?”

Since: Feb 09

Where I was born

#997 Sep 3, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
So who would you prefer create the laws and rule you?
How about we base laws on logic and reason instead of mythology and superstition? There's an idea.
Atheists? Already tried that and look what happened. Hundreds of millions of deaths, poverty, injustice and misery.
Citation or didn't happen.
All this courtesy of atheistic regimes that were based on "reason" and "science", but which immediately veered towards totalitarianism because this is simply what happens with atheist states.
Again, citation or didn't happen.
Then compare that to a country like America that was founded by Christians, and what you get is the most prosperous nation the world has ever known with the greatest personal freedoms ever known to man.
*falls over giggling at such nonsense*

1. This nation was NOT founded by xstains.
2. Norway would like to have a word with you.
Charlie wrote:
We don't have the luxury of choosing between an ideal, imaginary world that you conjure up and the real world.
You seem to be the one who believes in the imaginary worlds, not me.
We just have the choice of choosing the best that exists in the real world, however flawed it may be.
Well, on that we agree... however, there is nothing at all that says we cannot and should not strive to make it a better world.
Charlie wrote:
And that happens to be a system based on Christian values and moral principles.
Except that it isn't.
Charlie wrote:
So, you choose!
I choose to not have to worry about people with their myths and superstitions.
Charlie

#998 Sep 3, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
Except for the 'supernatural', right? Wait, where did I put that evidence..........
Testimony is evidence. But just deny the testimony of others. That would be so much more convenient for your dogma.
Charlie

#999 Sep 3, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
dont write a cheque with you mouth that your body cant cash.
Atheists DO Not gather the "socially poor" into churches were they are psychologically tortured and then financially cheated, that sir is the object of your religion
and thus the survival advantage of atheism is truth in place of delusion
The above is simply an ignorant, misinformed caricature typical of a hissy atheist.
Alex

Philadelphia, PA

#1000 Sep 3, 2009
<quoted text>
Does that assuage your ego a little? OK, maybe I was a little rough on you.
But what do you care so much about me, anyway? You attack, "Mental habeas corpus and posse comitatus, huh?" You're such a joyless stiff. Unclench a little. You can accomplish whatever your purpose is and have fun doing it at the same time.
"I still can't type that with a straight face." Nobody believes that you laugh, ya stiff. The Stiff and the Stump. Now I'm laughing.
[bows head] Lord, I apologize for that there. And please be with all the starvin' pygmies down in New Guinea. Amen [/bow]
Sorry, Alex. I'm still not buying it. Fundie is as fundie does, and you ooze lifeless, soulless
fundie. Sing along with me, won't you, you ols Stiff:
"The fundie mentals still deny as time goes by!"
Madness takes its toll.

I rest my case.
Charlie

#1001 Sep 3, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
You face the facts. We don't give rats ass about your religion. Practice it all you want. Religion caused the dark ages. Religion has caused more wars than any other factor. Religion is built on the repression of ideas. Religion is strictly a method of conrol. These are facts. What we worry about is relgions propensity to foster off, forcefully, their particular brand of religion on us all. When religion starts to dictate what my child can read in school, that is when I start to pay attention. Right now that is why America is far behind in preparing our children to enter college with enough math and basic science to succeed. When religion attempts to take over local government that gets my attention. When religion says any religion, except their brand of religion is not welcome in America, that gets my attention. You are not satisfied that you have the right to practice your religion. You want to force your immoral, bigotted, belief system on us all. I resent that. Although atheists are a small minority, we should join others in their fight to make sure this country lives up to its promise that we all have the right to; life, libery and the persuit of happiness. That is what religion seeks to destroy.
Yawn…… another example of an emotional rant from another hissy atheist. I thought you atheists were supposed to be so rational, logical and poised. Wha' happened?
Charlie

#1002 Sep 3, 2009
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
atheists would have expelled you from their group
just as the christians have expelled you from their group
you are all alone with your delusions john
Once again, another example of an hysterical, non-substantive atheist rant!

LOL!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1003 Sep 3, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Testimony is evidence. But just deny the testimony of others. That would be so much more convenient for your dogma.
Anecdotal testimony is NOT evidence of anything. Independent verifiability is required.

Since: Jul 08

Boulder, CO

#1004 Sep 3, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Testimony is hearsay not evidence. Are you really this dumb?
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#1005 Sep 3, 2009
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text> Too bad if you find democracy so inconvenient!.
Religious mandates for public school instruction are not democratic.

I see you have no interest in dialog.
John

Saint Louis, MO

#1006 Sep 3, 2009
<quoted text>
That's not bad, TN.
But the important thing about the Holocaust was not how Christianity influenced Hitler. Personally, I don't believe that the Christian faith was the CAUSE of the holocaust, or that Hitler was even necessarily a Christian himself, although he may well have been.
My criticism of Christianity is that the clergy and the Christian masses not only failed to stand up to Hitler and reject him, Hitler and the Christian clergy actually utilized the built in blind, docile obedience of Christians to manufacture consent for his atrocities. Many people who would have rejected Hitler accepted him because clergy vetted them and because Christians are rarely able to stand up and say,“bullshit!”(Need I say the obvious about the relationship between this quality and being a Christian?)
The exact same thing happened in the US with Bush, the Christian clergy and the Christian masses. They elected a reprobate twice on the advice of their priests, pastors and ministers, even when it was clear by 2004 that Bush had lied them into war, given huge tax breaks to the wealthy on the backs of the poor and middle classes, wash using the Constitution as toilet paper, had outed a CIA operative and was sanctioning torture in all our our names. And the same fools stood by waving flags at Toby Keith concerts while shouting “God bless America.”
So no, Jesus doesn’t teach the Hitlers and the Bush’s of the world how to hate. And it doesn’t matter if Hitler and Bush were Christians or faking it. They’re not the problem. People like that are everywhere at all times waiting for weak-minded people to give them a chance to wreak havoc. And Christianity makes people weak. It shuts off their hearts and minds and causes them to become facilitators of great evil. Far from being a moral force, Christianity cripples the conscience and makes what would have been good people uncritical enablers of monsters.
I repeat, "Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion." – Nobelist Steven Weinberg
B*llshit!
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#1007 Sep 3, 2009
Truck Nuts wrote:
<
Its easy for you atheists to simply disregard the metaphysical aspects, but in reality without metaphysics in historical context we would have not developed into such a compassionate society.
There are many behaviors in the history of the evolution of the human animal and human culture that in light of today's knowledge are reprehensible. The alpha male killing rivals and raping as many females as he chooses may be directly responsible for a strong gene pool in a population but no one would argue for that behavior today.(Logical rebuttal concluded).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 11 min Larry 1,026
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 41 min Adam 229,937
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 58 min Adam 22,983
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 9 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 9 hr Thinking 87
Islam for peace, or violence? Mon Thinking 26
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE