Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,981

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#61 Aug 30, 2009
john wrote:
Prove there isn't. Anything to deflect from the collective nothing huh? Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
<quoted text>
A negative cannot be proven, this is basic logic that you don't seem to grasp. If you are making a claim that a "god" exists, it is incumbent on you to prove it.

I claim that there is an invisible pink unicorn in my kitchen. I challenge you to prove that it's not there, and that it does not exist. Can you do that? I further challenge you to prove that you exist.

What do I believe? Quite a bit, none of which is germain to the question.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#62 Aug 30, 2009
john wrote:
Attempting discourse with an antitheist (not necessarily atheist) is ridiculous. Disbelief in something is not believe. Go back, look at my first post and see the puppets dance. When you wish to discuss my belief fine. I'll never have to because the simple fact is you have no skin in the game. Prove to me an observable and repeatable example of creation. You won't, you can't. Btw Science I think you misunderstood my point on natural law. If you care C.S. Lewis.(Mere Christianity) would be the place to look. I won't play this game of attack, defend, attack, defend. It doesn't make someone nearly as smart as they think when they don't have a position. If all I have to do is attack a position I will win every single time. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes. Nothing bless.
And what exactly do you "win?" You seem to think this is a contest. I don't know about anyone else on this thread, but I personally don't give a rat's ass what you believe or don't. Why is what I believe, or don't, of such concern to you?
John

Saint Louis, MO

#63 Aug 30, 2009
At least your mother provides a position: anal, doggie, reverse cowboy. You might be my bastard.
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mom?
John

Saint Louis, MO

#64 Aug 30, 2009
Prove to me the universe has only natural causes. Your nothing position is easily exposed. Please post the position you are defending in your own words so i am not accused of wordplay.

Unless this question is so baffling you dismiss it and attack a God you don't believe in.

Stump an antitheist! Science that's observable and repeatable.
SANDY

Spirit Lake, IA

#65 Aug 30, 2009
melevy wrote:
<quoted text>Good for you, now prove it.
There is no "god."
Reason number 1. The earth is in the perfect place in the universe the universe is a pretty nasty place supernovas blackholes huge astroids but were still here. Is it by chance or did someone make it that way. reason number.2 We have a perfect solar system think about it we have 4 huge planets that protects us from huge astriods and dangrous comets. Is that by chance that we have four huge planets that shield us from most dangers in the universe or is there something more to having four huge shield planets then by chance. Reason number.3 We can explore our universe without the problem of too many stars. Because if we had too many stars near our planet( If we lived closer to the milky way center) then the only thing we would see is yellow and we probabaly need super powerfull sungasses because our eyes can't even stand one star. If we can explore our universe almost perectly without the problem of too many stars or other problems like astriods then is this just by chance or did something or someone make were we can study the universe without much diffoculty. God does not exist mmmm I can't help but disagree with that.
John

Saint Louis, MO

#66 Aug 30, 2009
Well, when you want to mock other beliefs while having no position of your own and are willing to accept almost anything except a naturalistic possibility I'm going to point out your nothing. I could actually have a discussion with some of the folks here who say well I see no evidence for God and will just wait on the fence. That's their perogrative. In my opinion there is no greater concern than why are we here and do we have a purpose. These matters are often overlooked by atheists and dismissed. The universe is stranger than we can imagine and natural explanations just don't cut it in my opinion. As soon as you show me the observable and repeatable standard that's been set for being credible I'll put out the unassailable evidence of a historical Jesus from nonChristian scholars, linguists, archaelogists, and on and on then we can go even more in depth. Yet, this won't happen I'll just get snark from the nothing point out the nothing ad infinitum.
Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes. I'll check back in a few days for that example.

And what exactly do you "win?" You seem to think this is a contest. I don't know about anyone else on this thread, but I personally don't give a rat's ass what you believe or don't. Why is what I believe, or don't, of such concern to you?
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#67 Aug 31, 2009
John wrote:
.......... a position: anal, doggie, reverse cowboy.........>
You do dogs and cowboys up the a$$? Your posts are beginning to make sense now. As the virus reaches your brain you may simply want to take a morphine overdose.
jack13

United States

#68 Aug 31, 2009
john wrote:
Attempting discourse with an antitheist (not necessarily atheist) is ridiculous. Disbelief in something is not believe. Go back, look at my first post and see the puppets dance. When you wish to discuss my belief fine. I'll never have to because the simple fact is you have no skin in the game. Prove to me an observable and repeatable example of creation. You won't, you can't. Btw Science I think you misunderstood my point on natural law. If you care C.S. Lewis.(Mere Christianity) would be the place to look. I won't play this game of attack, defend, attack, defend. It doesn't make someone nearly as smart as they think when they don't have a position. If all I have to do is attack a position I will win every single time. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes. Nothing bless.
What I believe in? Simple. We are born, we mature, we breed, we raise our children, and die. Are you going to disprove my belief? it is based on facts, not some unknown force controlling my life. It does not matter if I am a monster or a law abiding person, in the end, we all cease to exist. When we die we will only exist as memories of our children and friends. After a time, even that existence ends. Now if you can disprove that, feel free to post your facts.
jack13

United States

#69 Aug 31, 2009
John wrote:
Prove to me the universe has only natural causes. Your nothing position is easily exposed. Please post the position you are defending in your own words so i am not accused of wordplay.
Unless this question is so baffling you dismiss it and attack a God you don't believe in.
Prove to me any god caused the universe as we know it? Please quote your sources so we know you have facts to back up your conclusions.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#70 Aug 31, 2009
John wrote:
Well, when you want to mock other beliefs while having no position of your own and are willing to accept almost anything except a naturalistic possibility I'm going to point out your nothing.
It's clear that you don't really want a debate, but instead to just be antagonistic. You claim that I have no "position," but that is a clear misunderstanding on your part of atheism. So here's my position: at this point science does not have a 100% complete explanation of the origins of the universe or life on this planet. It's possible that we may never know. Consequently, there is an infinite number of possible explanations. Some of those are theological. In the absence of absolute proof, which religion utterly fails to offer, I choose to accept the partial explanations that science provides.

I have seen absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe that there is a "higher power." Indeed, what I have seen leads me to believe otherwise. If your life experiences lead you to a difference conclusion, good for you.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#71 Aug 31, 2009
John wrote:
As I've said before, I have no desire to waste my time trying to prove anything to you. In my experience on these threads, you'll ignore it anyway. It's very likely that you're a troll just trying to earn your 20% for some college class, and I'm not about to help you.

“Science, not faith.”

Location hidden

#72 Aug 31, 2009
SANDY wrote:
<quoted text>Reason number 1. The earth is in the perfect place in the universe the universe is a pretty nasty place supernovas blackholes huge astroids but were still here. Is it by chance or did someone make it that way. reason number.2 We have a perfect solar system think about it we have 4 huge planets that protects us from huge astriods and dangrous comets. Is that by chance that we have four huge planets that shield us from most dangers in the universe or is there something more to having four huge shield planets then by chance. Reason number.3 We can explore our universe without the problem of too many stars. Because if we had too many stars near our planet( If we lived closer to the milky way center) then the only thing we would see is yellow and we probabaly need super powerfull sungasses because our eyes can't even stand one star. If we can explore our universe almost perectly without the problem of too many stars or other problems like astriods then is this just by chance or did something or someone make were we can study the universe without much diffoculty. God does not exist mmmm I can't help but disagree with that.
Sorry, you have it backwards. Life evolved on this planet to fit the conditions. This planet was not engineered to support life. How do you explain the eight other planets in this solar system which have no life? "god's" failures? This is significant geological evidence that shows that the Earth has been hit by object (comets, meteorites, etc.) in the past, so that debunks your point #2. Your point #3 is nonsense.

It's obvious that your church newsletter is not an accurate source of your information on the origin of the universe or life. Try learning some real science. What you've posted is just complete nonsense.

“Contented & Happy”

Since: Apr 09

Floyd, VA

#73 Aug 31, 2009
Atheism on the march in America...

I would have to agree however there is nothing wrong with it because unlike the religious caste in the world today Atheists don't hide behind dead and invisible silent gods especially like the Christians do who judge & condemn those to hell just because non believers refuse to walk their line and live life to suit the Christians.
According to Christians point of view my biggest sin is premarital sex.
I'm sorry fundies but unlike you I like to sample and examine before I say "I Do!"

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#74 Aug 31, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you ignored post 9. He clearly stated what he believes. So your denial that he has a belief is silly. Now if you ask him, does he have faith, the answer is no. The only pompous ass I see here is you.
Thanks,I in no way attacking anyone belief. He asked What I believe and I told him. If any thing I am the one under attack.
Patrick

United States

#75 Aug 31, 2009
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks,I in no way attacking anyone belief. He asked What I believe and I told him. If any thing I am the one under attack.
Have not seen them marching as of yet :-)
Irish Rose

United States

#76 Aug 31, 2009
I don't know what I am...a bad christian? A bad athiest? I don't really care. I am happy in my belief that my God is the love and beauty in all things. All things are possible. I spread my God with a simple smile that can grow into something big and good by the God in all of us and all things. Sometimes I even spread the devil with a harsh word or a grimace....I hate when I do that but I am only human. Prayer is a powerful thing. I am also a chicken because I have asked God to forgive me if I am wrong.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#77 Aug 31, 2009
John wrote:
There is no objective, unambiguous evidence that a miracle has ever occurred, a prayer has ever been answered or a supernatural entity has ever created anything or communicated with a human.

Your turn...

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#78 Aug 31, 2009
john wrote:
I believe that john from Waterloo, Canada is a religous nut.He ask us (atheist) for an observable and repeatable example of creation.

I can't and am fine with that. So what man does not know what happen before the big bang or how the first one cell life form came tobe.

You can do no better. Who\how did God get created. How did a being with so much power come from nothing.

Come on get us one observable supernatural event.

How many god's you believe in?

C. S. Lewis natural laws are nothing but talk. He had no observable and repeatable testable theories.
infidel

Charleston, SC

#79 Aug 31, 2009
One of the benefits of atheism is that it frees us to look beyond religion's prescribed possibilities for meaning in our lives and to look to ourselves, our talents, and the many ways we can create joy and beauty in this world, however temporary that may be.

Right now, my chosen mission is to crate music that makes people happy while also providing food for thought and contemplation. As they present themselves, I also take opportunities to help people free themselves from the anger that damages so many relationships and evokes such tragedy and violence in our world. I find more meaning in these activities than I could ever find through subservience to some imagined deity.

Anyone who believes that religion provides the only or even the primary way to find meaning lacks vision.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#80 Aug 31, 2009
John wrote:
Prove to me ....
nothing can be proven to uneducated and close minded people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 9 min Patrick 4,512
Our world came from nothing? 23 min John K 493
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 34 min NightSerf 22,420
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min Just Think 227,871
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 1 hr Patrick 9
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 2 hr Barbarian 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 2 hr Patrick 141
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE