Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70634 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

bnzo

Santiago, Chile

#72650 Jun 6, 2013
john wrote:
Unfortunately, many atheists are antitheists. Foreshadowing where this thread will end up I'll ask a simple question. What position are defending? Disbelief is not belief, and mocking religion/God is usually the response to a simple question. Stump an antitheist! Ask him what he believes.
Im sorry john, perhaps you could explain why asking I believe - as an antitheist, would stump me?

I could offer you two concepts that might have escaped you. A-theism. of course, is an absence of a belief in gods - and only gods. Atheists are free to believe in flying kettles around saturn.
In matters biblical however, I "believe" in the fundamental assumptions of reality - i.e. that we exist, and that the world exists. Of course if I did not, life would be short.

I don't even "believe" in logic - it's a nonsense application of the concept. Logic is a tool, it's irrefutably demonstrated to work - it WORKS - that is not a belief, that is a fact.Is it the BEST tool? we can't know - but we do know it's the best tool we have.

So john, my cards are on the table, you know what I believe. I do not enjoy your headgames I see here - so how about you demonstrate some intellectual honesty?- what do you believe?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#72651 Jun 6, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like reading quotes by Elanor Roosevelt?
I like reading all types of different materials!
As for the rest of your post-
YOU might have a "hate-god" and be a "christhole terrorist"- but I don't, and am not (whatever a "christhole terrorist is) but I will say, it does sound like a personal issue, of your own!!
When you've learned that lying about god being real is immoral, let us know.

Until then, you're just a simple ignorant liar with no proof of god.
John

United States

#72652 Jun 7, 2013
@bnzo. Try again. Maybe try origin. Why is it that's always conveniently skipped. I eagerly await your I don't know.
John

United States

#72653 Jun 7, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was and am simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitimate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
You weren't saying?27
John

United States

#72654 Jun 7, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 69,725 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#72655 Jun 7, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
Now just because SOME people might not enjoy Sunday school, doesn't mean ALL people should not. There's nothing wrong with learning lessons in how to be ethically fair and decent people, no matter what the label on the classroom door.
And some people might like the socialization aspects that often are inclusive with similar environments, while others might prefer more restful environments one day a week.
Nothing wrong with either scenerio, just all goes back to that personal choices thing.
sunday school denotes christianity and how are they going to learn those things from one of the most immoral cults on the planet?
Lincoln

United States

#72656 Jun 7, 2013
PICKENS COUNTY, SC (WYFF)- A school district under pressure to keep prayer out of meetings and gatherings got an unexpected delivery from one high school valedictorian.

Saturday, at Clemson's Littlejohn Coliseum, Liberty High Valedictorian Roy Costner IV took his speech to the podium, and in front of the crowd, tore it up.
MOREAdditional Links

John Eby, Pickens County School District spokesman, said, "They write their speeches. They send them to someone on staff to have them approved."

But Costner clearly had something else in mind.

After speaking for a few minutes, he thanked his parents for leading him to the Lord at a young age, and then he said, "I think most of you will understand when I say,'Our Father, who art in heaven…" as he began to recite the Lord's Prayer.

Much of the crowd broke into tentative applause that then grew into cheers that nearly drown out Costner's voice as he continued the Lord Prayer
Imhotep

Morristown, TN

#72657 Jun 7, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
PICKENS COUNTY, SC (WYFF)- A school district under pressure to keep prayer out of meetings and gatherings got an unexpected delivery from one high school valedictorian.
Saturday, at Clemson's Littlejohn Coliseum, Liberty High Valedictorian Roy Costner IV took his speech to the podium, and in front of the crowd, tore it up.
MOREAdditional Links
John Eby, Pickens County School District spokesman, said, "They write their speeches. They send them to someone on staff to have them approved."
After speaking for a few minutes, he thanked his parents for leading him to the Lord at a young age, and then he said, "I think most of you will understand when I say,'Our Father, who art in heaven…" as he began to recite the Lord's Prayer.
Much of the crowd broke into tentative applause that then grew into cheers that nearly drown out Costner's voice as he continued the Lord Prayer
A more appropriate question to ask is...

What if Costner was a devout Muslim and chose to recite from the Koran at his graduation ceremony?

How much Christian love and applause would he receive then?

Lmao

Hypocrisy is the homage which vice pays to virtue.— Duc de La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680)
John

United States

#72658 Jun 7, 2013
Our nothing who art in nowhere hollow is your supposed nonclaim.

Location hidden

#72660 Jun 7, 2013
John wrote:
Our nothing who art in nowhere hollow is your supposed nonclaim.
If god is all powerful, why can't he make me a theist?

St. Croix valley

#72661 Jun 7, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
MOREAdditional Links
not really the place for a prayer, is it? your cult should stay in its tax subsidized church. that is where it belong.

Location hidden

#72662 Jun 7, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
MOREAdditional Links
If you truly believe in the power of your god, why don't you let him convert us instead?

Maybe you doubt your gods ability and so you decide to "help"?
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72663 Jun 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So choosing a now known law breaker, someone who cares nothing about the laws, as their "best" is not a good reflection of their school, no matter how you spin it.
Gee, maybe the "crystal balls of vicious offenders" were broken, when they tallied the four years worth of student body GPA's that decides valedictorians and salutorians.

If you can't construct a logical or rational thought, maybe you can find a clue for sale, at a reduced elementary level rate, at some fwee flea market.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#72664 Jun 7, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
MOREAdditional Links
Would you the feel same enthusiasm had this teen been a Muslim?
Reciting the Koran to the audience?

Or a Jew? A Hindu?

Get real doofus

Why cannot you Xtians keep your silly idea's to yourselves?

Your buddy in the sky should be more than able to change our minds about his existence.

JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72665 Jun 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. The entire staff of that school should be sacked, and replaced with responsible people.
That base merit earned valedictorian and salutorian placements on????

Personal religious, or LACK thereof choices, according to ?????

Please spare us, there's already enough toxic plague poison of rampant stupidity these days.

St. Croix valley

#72666 Jun 7, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you the feel same enthusiasm had this teen been a Muslim?
Reciting the Koran to the audience?
Or a Jew? A Hindu?
Get real doofus
Why cannot you Xtians keep your silly idea's to yourselves?
Your buddy in the sky should be more than able to change our minds about his existence.
same god if he was a jew or muslim, so why would Lincoln care? they are his cult brethren.
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72667 Jun 7, 2013
<quoted text>
The bible-god is a hate-god, silly person.
All Genuine Christians™ are basically terrorists of one stripe or another.
It's not personal, until hatecultists like YOU try to get laws passed based on your bigotry.
Or refuse to allow equality laws to be passed because of your bigotry.
Either way? hate-cultist.
That's why we have a Constitution...even if the political hacks and quacks that be, have been using it as toilet paper the past couple of years.

Has anyone ever enlightened you about the misuse of personal pronouns when addressing issues in general, as in; using them in ways to personally attack others, rather than better addressing issues as just issues in general?

Just wondering....

St. Croix valley

#72668 Jun 7, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why we have a Constitution...even if the political hacks and quacks that be, have been using it as toilet paper the past couple of years.
Has anyone ever enlightened you about the misuse of personal pronouns when addressing issues in general, as in; using them in ways to personally attack others, rather than better addressing issues as just issues in general?
Just wondering....
yes, we have a constitution to keep your cult from bleeding into public life.

keep your cult in your tax subsidized church where it belongs...BTW, why does your faith need to be subsidized at all?

Location hidden

#72669 Jun 7, 2013
JoanofArk wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering....
Are there any theists that DONT lie about god being real?
JoanofArk

Brodhead, KY

#72670 Jun 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Classic persecution of all NON-CHRISTIANS IN ATTENDANCE.
And you praise this display of persecution and bigotry.
As I noted earlier?
You are just another hate-cultist.
I have no idea about the people in attendance of the graduation ceremony. The video just showed the young mans speech of humbleness.

So, all that persecutive type glue your trying to ooze over onto others, really is baseless.

I will mention though, I have heard similar accolade speeches, partially presented in foreign languages...and figured...not their problem for my not understanding what was being said. Sure didn't see any justification to hate a kid with bilingual abilities for it though, not at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min One way or another 33,830
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr ChristineM 23,865
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,040
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 255,480
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 1 hr superwilly 151
There are no such things as gods or fairies 2 hr Eagle 12 72
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Eagle 12 4,443
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr ChristineM 14,797
More from around the web